Fullback

Johnnyanthony

SGI Junior League
Hi everyone just wondering if anyone has any idea if Cody Ramsay will be back next year?

or if we have any quality fullbacks in nsw cup Tyrell Sloane is really letting the dragons down in that area in the games we are losing I feel in those games that are tight with 20 to go if we had a fullback that does those one percenters like catching the ball on the full, getting more envolved, bringing the ball back strongly and putting their body on the line defensively we will win a lot more of those games

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Hi everyone just wondering if anyone has any idea if Cody Ramsay will be back next year?

or if we have any quality fullbacks in nsw cup Tyrell Sloane is really letting the dragons down in that area in the games we are losing I feel in those games that are tight with 20 to go if we had a fullback that does those one percenters like catching the ball on the full, getting more envolved, bringing the ball back strongly and putting their body on the line defensively we will win a lot more of those games
Back in training and doing contact training.
Cody has continued his progress, today he participated in tackling and wrestling session.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Sometimes it looks like he trying really hard to avoid running the ball.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

SLOAN A DEFENSIVE LIABILITY FOR DRAGONS

Not that speed is everything for a fullback if they can’t make their tackles. It was another gutsy win by the Dragons to hand the Broncos their sixth straight defeat. But when Shane Flanagan was spotted talking one-on-one to Tyrell Sloan after game, it’s not hard to guess what the focus of that conversation was about. Everyone knows Flanagan is a defence-driven coach and it would be killing him knowing the talent Sloan has at his disposal.

If only he could develop a stronger defensive mindset. Sloan came up with four shocking misses that led directly tries late in the game. Kotoni Staggs bumped Sloan off on two occasions, while Ezra Mam and young dummy half Blake Mozer both took turns. In fairness, Sloan had some big moments in the context of the game.

But it certainly didn’t make up for those late missed tackles that very nearly cost the Dragons victory. You just can’t have a fullback who consistently gets exposed this badly if you want to play finals footy.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Our much maligned fullback open to criticism in relation to his tackling technique, his inability to organise our defensive line and his inability to make one on one tackles. Every player has his own strengths and weaknesses at the moment his weakness is defensive. Last season we all held our collective breaths because he couldn't catch the flu. Everytime a bomb went up the chances were he would spill it. This year he has improved markedly, no doubt the coaching staff have worked on this aspect of his game. Now it has to be his technique and where he is actually positioned defending on the line. No doubt the opposition single him out. I was sitting right behind the posts and his effort in trying to stop the dummy half barging over was cringeworthy. Then when Suli missed Staggs there was an opportunity to stop Staggs but his technique was wrong and he was no chance. So in this game he made 4 tackles and missed 4 tackles a 50% fail rate and an unacceptable statistic. However overall this season GP - 17, Tackles made 116, avg about 7 a game. Missed tackles 24 avg 1.5 per game which is totally acceptable overall. He is ranked 165 out of 359 . Now compare him to another fullback that has played 17 games, Kennedy from the Sharks, he is ranked at 76 not a good thing he has made 107 tackles missed 36 tackles avg 2.12 . Bula, Tigers, GP - 17, tackles made 106, tackles missed 30, avg 1.07, ranked 108th. So statistics can be misleading but comparing like players/ positions/ games played we don't have the worst defensive fullback in the competition.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Our much maligned fullback open to criticism in relation to his tackling technique, his inability to organise our defensive line and his inability to make one on one tackles. Every player has his own strengths and weaknesses at the moment his weakness is defensive. Last season we all held our collective breaths because he couldn't catch the flu. Everytime a bomb went up the chances were he would spill it. This year he has improved markedly, no doubt the coaching staff have worked on this aspect of his game. Now it has to be his technique and where he is actually positioned defending on the line. No doubt the opposition single him out. I was sitting right behind the posts and his effort in trying to stop the dummy half barging over was cringeworthy. Then when Suli missed Staggs there was an opportunity to stop Staggs but his technique was wrong and he was no chance. So in this game he made 4 tackles and missed 4 tackles a 50% fail rate and an unacceptable statistic. However overall this season GP - 17, Tackles made 116, avg about 7 a game. Missed tackles 24 avg 1.5 per game which is totally acceptable overall. He is ranked 165 out of 359 . Now compare him to another fullback that has played 17 games, Kennedy from the Sharks, he is ranked at 76 not a good thing he has made 107 tackles missed 36 tackles avg 2.12 . Bula, Tigers, GP - 17, tackles made 106, tackles missed 30, avg 1.07, ranked 108th. So statistics can be misleading but comparing like players/ positions/ games played we don't have the worst defensive fullback in the competition.
It's a shame. Until the last few weeks, he has been a much better defender. Saturday was as bad as he's ever been.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
You're right statistics can be miss leading.
We defend on our line a lot so how many of those 117 was he 3rd man in.
Individual tackles made to missed would be an intersting stat.
Try causes Sloan ranks 3rd at 22, (Kennedy 19 Bula 12)nearly all of his missed tackle result in tries. So his missed tackles standout and fans react.

Next time I talk to Gabe I'll see if he will give me detailed stats on Sloan

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
You're right statistics can be miss leading.
We defend on our line a lot so how many of those 117 was he 3rd man in.
Individual tackles made to missed would be an intersting stat.
Try causes Sloan ranks 3rd at 22, (Kennedy 19 Bula 12)nearly all of his missed tackle result in tries. So his missed tackles standout and fans react.

Next time I talk to Gabe I'll see if he will give me detailed stats on Sloan
Cheers. It's like metres run stats can be misleading you can run for 100m as a forward but how many hit ups? Where did the runs start from, where did they end, did he bust tackles, did the run set up 2nd phase play what happened on the subsequent run. You really need to drill down into stats to actually get the real picture

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It's a shame. Until the last few weeks, he has been a much better defender. Saturday was as bad as he's ever been.
Mate to my eye it's technique and strength. The tackle on the dummy half in my day would have been hooked for non effort. The missed tackle on Staggs different scenario. As a coach the thing that you look for in any player is , is he listening, is he willing and able to learn and can those things improve his personal performance and skillset. Time will tell

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
It might be hard two weeks for Sloan with a lot of one on one tackling practice.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The tackle on the dummy half in my day would have been hooked for non effort
No mention about how firstly Eisenhuth and surprisingly Jack failed to stop his momentum leaving Sloan to do it all. You referring to the Staggs miss tackle when he sprinted about 60 mt with no one of any pace to catch him. Before Sloan made a desperate dive to nab Staggs the bloke that handed off the ball to him was let go by an inept effort by Eisenhuth to bottle him ball and all. You failed to also mention this incident.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
He needs to improve on his defensive technique in securing the ball on the goal line. I've been pleased he's improved his high ball catching ability.

Flanno has an interesting decision with team selections in our next game. Assuming everyone is fit, who gets dropped for Lomax?

I've always wanted to see Lomax at fullback. Tbh we don't utilise Sloan's speed in attack, so we should go all out with our back 5 power game & pick Lomax at fullback along with CT, Suli, Feagai & Rava. I think that back 5 would be our best chance to help get a finals spot.

We should prioritise Sloan speed in attack in the off-season, it's hardly been sighted this year. It means less priority for Hunt's game which I don't know if he's willing to relinquish.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
No mention about how firstly Eisenhuth and surprisingly Jack failed to stop his momentum leaving Sloan to do it all. You referring to the Staggs miss tackle when he sprinted about 60 mt with no one of any pace to catch him. Before Sloan made a desperate dive to nab Staggs the bloke that handed off the ball to him was let go by an inept effort by Eisenhuth to bottle him ball and all. You failed to also mention this incident.
Your not related to Sloan are you? I mean no disrespect to the kid but I think that you will find that the coaching staff are aware of his frailties in defence and will certainly attempt to assist him overcome those deficiencies. The issue has always been with any player their denial that something needs improvement. These are just my views whilst at the game and sitting behind him. He is improving his communication skills I heard him a few times call out. But he should have if not stop the dummy half had the technique to hold the ball up it was something you would expect to see in U16 football not 1st grade.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He needs to improve on his defensive technique in securing the ball on the goal line. I've been pleased he's improved his high ball catching ability.

Flanno has an interesting decision with team selections in our next game. Assuming everyone is fit, who gets dropped for Lomax?

I've always wanted to see Lomax at fullback. Tbh we don't utilise Sloan's speed in attack, so we should go all out with our back 5 power game & pick Lomax at fullback along with CT, Suli, Feagai & Rava. I think that back 5 would be our best chance to help get a finals spot.

We should prioritise Sloan speed in attack in the off-season, it's hardly been sighted this year. It means less priority for Hunt's game which I don't know if he's willing to relinquish.
That has been the issue with Hunt in my view he wants to be involved in everything. Now that's not a bad characteristics but in today's game if you know that the opposition has 1 play maker and everything starts and finishes with him, well the game is that little bit easier.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Cheers. It's like metres run stats can be misleading you can run for 100m as a forward but how many hit ups? Where did the runs start from, where did they end, did he bust tackles, did the run set up 2nd phase play what happened on the subsequent run. You really need to drill down into stats to actually get the real picture
Most stats the media use are just talking points and the fans eat it up like gospel.
The club pays little attention to a lot of them, they are more interested in the intricacies and other stats that lead to bigger issues.
Sloan at FB would have more scrutiny on his total km run a game and his mapping.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Most stats the media use are just talking points and the fans eat it up like gospel.
The club pays little attention to a lot of them, they are more interested in the intricacies and other stats that lead to bigger issues.
Sloan at FB would have more scrutiny on his total km run a game and his mapping.
Didn't have either in my day. At the end of the game win, lose or draw the clubs free supply of beer was washing down the dirt, as a coach you'd speak to individual players and I'd start by saying mate to my eye I didn't see you running much today, you crook, keeping an injury from me, or did you just have an off day. It was your job to know before looking at the vhs tape of the game on Monday. I was sitting right behind the posts and in the first half he seemed to be making himself available and injecting himself into our attacking structures all over the park. 2nd half was a different story. Be interesting to know what his running stats were broken down in halves and where he was wandering around.