NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg, 2024

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
NickT make it being a genuine Dragons junior.
Plus for me too but he is earning a reputation as a bit of a hot head. I'd have Corey Ackers, over him. This kid is another Saints junior with untapped potential to be a utility in the pack which should give him more pulling power..

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
o Ackers is an unknown quantity still.. been an NRL development player all year but didnt really fire a shot in SG Ball, hopefully it was just that he was playing injured.... but its all hypothetical until we see him in Flegg next year.

o Nick T I really want to see in NSW Cup but looks like they want him to dominate Flegg for now.. He is getting much bigger in the thighs (I think), so a lot of strength, even if he gets too big for the 2nd row, he could probably play middle. We do need aggressive forwards though.. I know it sux at times, but its a war and you need these guys who are up for the battle.. a lot of his hits tbf have been legit, its just that there are no replays in lower grades to prove his innocence..

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
o Ackers is an unknown quantity still.. been an NRL development player all year but didnt really fire a shot in SG Ball, hopefully it was just that he was playing injured.... but its all hypothetical until we see him in Flegg next year.

o Nick T I really want to see in NSW Cup but looks like they want him to dominate Flegg for now.. He is getting much bigger in the thighs (I think), so a lot of strength, even if he gets too big for the 2nd row, he could probably play middle. We do need aggressive forwards though.. I know it sux at times, but its a war and you need these guys who are up for the battle.. a lot of his hits tbf have been legit, its just that there are no replays in lower grades to prove his innocence..
Was strong in the SG Ball GF. Scored a barnstorming try. Knee was heavily strapped. But Nick T looks on another level. Though a middle vs an edge. Hopefully both make it.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
No way I'd rate Ackers over Nick T.
Probably because you have not seen much of Ackers and have of Nick T. I have seen a lot of Ackers as he has made his way thru the Pathways. Not so much past 12 months, except for his cameo in the Ball GF. Hope he is not injury prone.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Probably because you have not seen much of Ackers and have of Nick T. I have seen a lot of Ackers as he has made his way thru the Pathways. Not so much past 12 months, except for his cameo in the Ball GF. Hope he is not injury prone.

Most of those players have gone past Ackers. He needs a massive off-season & rapid improvement to get to their level but those guys will likely improve too.

Eric

Staff

At the start of the year I was worried Nick T wasn't big enough for NRL. Wouldn't become big enough. Now I think he needs to stop getting bigger. Speed, size and agility is a good balance now IMO.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
There was a run in one of the televised SG games where Ackers threw an incredible pass, he clearly has skill for a big man.. he has footwork.. and he played a bit of flegg last year also.. they wouldnt have given him an nrl development position if they didnt think he had potential... but.. its just potential at this stage, every time they move up a grade its a new test.. most of them wont make it.. hopefully he will ofcourse.. but its all hypothetical at this stage given hes injured.

Where as Tonga and Latu seem to really be leaning into the higher difficulty.. and NickT seems far too big and strong for Flegg.. he played some NSW Cup last year also, and none of us can be sure he will step up either.. but so far he has had no trouble with the difficulty.

I wish there was Flegg stats published somewhere.. as some tool for us to be a bit more objective (granted stats arent everything), for example Jesse Williams, hes not scoring many tries but id love to see if hes atleast putting in 100-150 metres each week?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
They are different positions. Nick T in an out and out edge backrower, Ackers in an out and out prop.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
televised SG games where Ackers threw an incredible pass, he clearly has skill for a big man.. he has footwork..
The pass you are referring to was a cut out floater for a try. Evidently it has become a signature play by Ackers.
he played a bit of flegg last year also.. they wouldnt have given him an nrl development position if they didnt think he had potential..
He certainly has plenty of that. If he has lost his DC, the coaching staff may see him as needing to muscle up and get fitter due to his recent injury run.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Is he better than Finau Latu as I rate him our most promising edgie. He will be awesome.
I rate them both but Latu is a year younger. I'm not sure but I think Latu might be more of a lock than a edge backrower. But like the Couchman's, I think Latu could do well in either. At least for now. Eventually he will have to concentrate on becoming one or the other. Nick T is like that as well but I guess Latu is better in the middle and Nick T better on an edge.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I rate them both but Latu is a year younger. I'm not sure but I think Latu might be more of a lock than a edge backrower. But like the Couchman's, I think Latu could do well in either. At least for now. Eventually he will have to concentrate on becoming one or the other. Nick T is like that as well but I guess Latu is better in the middle and Nick T better on an edge.
Will have to see. An edgie has to be both powerful to break tackles and agile to avoid the tackle, attributes Latu has. Nick T seems to be growing and bulking quickly, looks like a future prop to me. Has a bit of mongrel too. Be good if each developed ball skills as well, a big chance with Jack as your mentor.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Will have to see. An edgie has to be both powerful to break tackles and agile to avoid the tackle, attributes Latu has. Nick T seems to be growing and bulking quickly, looks like a future prop to me. Has a bit of mongrel too. Be good if each developed ball skills as well , a big chance, having Jack as their mentor.
Nick T looks to have put on quite a bit of weight but if he plays first grade this season, he'll still be far from the biggest second rower going around. Probably closer to average. But you might be right. I don't see any reason why with his skill set he couldn't become a middle forward. I just think it serves us better at this stage if he plays on an edge.