NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg, 2024

Eric

Staff
Interesting. So 2 forwards are going to make way. Surely not Purcell as they need hom for the bach up hooker. Russell is C. Maybe Alec T but that will make the front row a bit light.
Hope it isn't Egan who makes way. Pretty sure it won't be. But I still think his future might be a middle forward, mostly playing lock rather the on an edge as I think he did his entire time in the lower grades. But then again, like the Couchmans, he might be good in either position.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Hope it isn't Egan who makes way. Pretty sure it won't be. But I still think his future might be a middle forward, mostly playing lock rather the on an edge as I think he did his entire time in the lower grades. But then again, like the Couchmans, he might be good in either position.
Won't be Egan unless he is injured.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Buchanan seems so tiny on the field and Egan seems so thicc... yet they look so similar in that photo..

What r ur thoughts on Ward as the possible choice of (NSW Cup) 6 next year? He runs direct and he is way faster than LKT.. has all the other halves skills already... im just not sure on his defence would be the major concern.. possibly they will play him @7 just to fit them both.. unless we sign someone in the off-season for 1st grade depth.

Last edited:

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
sorry just to clarify, I meant Ward as NSW Cup 6, I know LKT is the one being fast-tracked.. but im not positive that Ward couldnt be the one that wins the battle..... LKT is like 19 though and Ward would be 20 or 21, LKT will be a bigger 6, Ward is a nippy little thing.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
sorry just to clarify, I meant Ward as NSW Cup 6, I know LKT is the one being fast-tracked.. but im not positive that Ward couldnt be the one that wins the battle..... LKT is like 19 though and Ward would be 20 or 21, LKT will be a bigger 6, Ward is a nippy little thing.
Might make a good combo from 2026.

Eric

Staff
Souths nearly got em.. went down 28-32 to Penrith in the end.. season over for NSW Cup, but still excited they get a few flegg guys in tomorrow.
Shame. Think they could've made a decent run. Disappointing but the most important thing is the number of good U21s and U19s who have gotten significant experience playing in the open age group. Expect much bigger things from all 3 grades next year.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I'm rly hoping Shane takes a punt on an established 7 in the off-season, someone to put pressure on Hunt.. get 2 pre-seasons into them before he retires... he wont take 2 rookies into 2026, that wont end well..

I just hadnt thought of Ward as a 6 before is all, just has me thinking.. but LKT has the contract and fast-forwarding 12-18mths.. maybe hes skillful enough to overcome his speed issues.. the big thing is their tackling.. I dont think we can afford to have liabilities in defence like we did with Amone.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Buchanan seems so tiny on the field and Egan seems so thicc... yet they look so similar in that photo..

What r ur thoughts on Ward as the possible choice of (NSW Cup) 6 next year? He runs direct and he is way faster than LKT.. has all the other halves skills already... im just not sure on his defence would be the major concern.. possibly they will play him @7 just to fit them both.. unless we sign someone in the off-season for 1st grade depth.

Ward 20yo will be Flegg again next year.
I think he and Quinn have been poor back end of the year. I don't see them in our plans moving forward. I don't thnk he is much quicker than LKT, who has shown some pace when in clear.

I rate Kade and Shadi above them.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Ward 20yo will be Flegg again next year.
I think he and Quinn have been poor back end of the year. I don't see them in our plans moving forward. I don't thnk he is much quicker than LKT, who has shown some pace when in clear.

I rate Kade and Shadi above them.

Just takes a bit longer to hit full speed. Though they wouldn't be playing Ward in NSW Cup if he's not in future club plans, would they? Is there no one else?

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Acceleration might be the better word, but definitely going to be some stiff competition next year for those Flegg jerseys.. especially once SG Ball finishes up.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Acceleration might be the better word, but definitely going to be some stiff competition next year for those Flegg jerseys.. especially once SG Ball finishes up.
That halfback Reed, everyone is talking about going to start in SG Ball? Is he St George or Illawarra?

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
That halfback Reed, everyone is talking about going to start in SG Ball? Is he St George or Illawarra?
he's the Steelers kid who will do a 2nd year of SG Ball, I think they wanted to keep him out of the spotlight for 12 more months given his young age..

LKT was his halves partner this year... but Fitzgibbon will partner him next year who seems pretty talented too.