OUR IMMORTALS

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Of the current 13 Immortals inducted into the Hall of Fame four hail from the most famous rugby league club on the planet. St George.
They are Reg Gasnier, Johnny Raper, Graeme Langlands, Norm Provan.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
REG GASNIER:

St George supremo Frank Facer called Reg Gasnier "a genius" the media, "Puff the Magic Dragon". Gasnier in full flight, head leaning back, ball tucked under the wing, legs pumping remains one of the great visions in league history.

Gasnier's birth in Rugby League began as a teenager at the Renown Club in the St George district where he was identified as a shooting star and destined for greatness. Such was his meteoric rise that after being elevated to St George first grade at the start of 1959, that by the end of that same season he was a Kangaroo and a budding champion of the game.

He remains Australia's youngest captain against GB (23 years, 28 days, in the first Test of 1962), was a three-time Kangaroo, and was part of eight premiership-winning sides with St George. He played 228 games for the Saints, scored 219 career tries, 26 of those in Tests but was prematurely and sadly lost to the game at 28 in 1967.

Milestones:
  • Premierships: 1960-65
  • NSWRL Player of the Year: 1960, 1962, 1965
  • Kangaroo Tour captain: 1967-68
  • New South Wales Team of the Century: 2008
  • Kangaroo Tours: 1959-60, 1963-64, 1967-68
  • Australian captain: 8 Tests
  • Immortal: 1981
  • Australian Rugby League Team of the Century: 2008
  • Rated No. 3 in Rugby League Week’s Top 100 players: 1992
  • Named in NRL Team of the 1950s: 2007
  • Named in NRL Team of the 1960s: 2006
  • Kangaroo Tour captain: 1967-68

Last edited:

Eric

Staff

“I don’t think those who have seen him play will watch another genius like him for years to come … if ever”.

Frank Facer Former St George secretary

Scroll down for the video.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

“I don’t think those who have seen him play will watch another genius like him for years to come … if ever”.

Did centres use the number 7 jersey back then?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

That try he set up against England was especially good.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Of the current 13 Immortals inducted into the Hall of Fame four hail from the most famous rugby league club on the planet. St George.
They are Reg Gasnier, Johnny Raper, Graeme Langlands, Norm Provan.
And I have had the pleasure to have met and talked to all of them

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
What foo

What foot work and blinding acceleration Reg had. You can see where his nephew Mark got his from.

The Pommie commentator, Eddie Waring, must have got tired of repeating "Yes Gasnier, Yes Gasnier or Yes Raper, Yes Raper" as the pair annihilated the old enemy in the "Swinton Massacre'. Old Eddie was not big on eloquence.