Coach Poll

Who should be St George Illawarra coach going forward from the beginning of season 2023

• Des Hasler

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Shane Flanagan

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Jason Ryles

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Dean Young

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ben Honrby

• Anthony Griffin

• Jo Dragon

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Other (please nominate in comments)

• Michael McGuire

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Open for 10 months so you can change your vote depending on how things go until then. Up to 3 choices.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I'm flattered. I'm just a person who in my work career and sporting life was a statistics and an analyst typecast person. When I put pen to paper I don't like to embarrass myself and have people think that bloke is full of sh#*. So for what it's worth in regards to our current coach this is my season preview.

Look let me just say this for what it's worth. A coach is like a star jockey if he is not riding decent cattle he's never going to win a group race no matter how good he may be. The same here with Griffin. What people need to factor in was our clubs salary cap issues which included a freeze last year. Hence in the last 6 yrs since we actually made the 8, our recruitment and retention team needs the spotlight firmly placed on them. We have failed miserably in retaining and developing our rising starts, Sloan and Sullivan are two who should have been handled differently.

Recruitment who in the last 6 yrs can anyone say, that's a good buy he or they can change our fortunes. This season is no different Liddle, Murdoch - Masila, Musgrove, Lui- Tosa and now Turner. 2 recruits from last year's wooden spooners, 1 from the team that ran 2nd last, 1 from a QLD Cup team and now 1 from another team that actually finished below us last season. For us long suffering Dragons supporters it's another season with no semi finals football again. So although we l want the coaches head he has had his accomplices

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I'm flattered. I'm just a person who in my work career and sporting life was a statistics and an analyst typecast person. When I put pen to paper I don't like to embarrass myself and have people think that bloke is full of sh#*. So for what it's worth in regards to our current coach this is my season preview.

Look let me just say this for what it's worth. A coach is like a star jockey if he is not riding decent cattle he's never going to win a group race no matter how good he may be. The same here with Griffin. What people need to factor in was our clubs salary cap issues which included a freeze last year. Hence in the last 6 yrs since we actually made the 8, our recruitment and retention team needs the spotlight firmly placed on them. We have failed miserably in retaining and developing our rising starts, Sloan and Sullivan are two who should have been handled differently.

Recruitment who in the last 6 yrs can anyone say, that's a good buy he or they can change our fortunes. This season is no different Liddle, Murdoch - Masila, Musgrove, Lui- Tosa and now Turner. 2 recruits from last year's wooden spooners, 1 from the team that ran 2nd last, 1 from a QLD Cup team and now 1 from another team that actually finished below us last season. For us long suffering Dragons supporters it's another season with no semi finals football again. So although we l want the coaches head he has had his accomplices
Are you referring to Turner? He was also played the entire year in the QLD Cup. Wasn't deemed good enough to make a team which finished below us.

Eric

Staff
Interesting article in the Telegraph:

St George Illawarra’s shameful star-studded list of ex-coaches

The Dragons will head into the NRL season underpinned by uncertainty, with a coach fighting for his job.​

Currently across the NRL, at State of Origin level and in the English Super League, there are 16 coaches who are either former Dragons players that are coaching at other clubs, or others - like South Sydney’s Jason Demetriou - who began their coaching journey at Saints, but were let go.

Not one, two, or three, or even 10.

An extraordinary 16.

DRAGONS BRAIN DRAIN

• Jason Demetriou - Rabbitohs head coach
  • Justin Holbrook - Titans head coach
  • Trent Barrett - Eels attack coach
  • Nathan Fien - Dolphins assistant coach
  • Dean Young - Cowboys assistant coach
  • Craig Fitzgibbon - Sharks head coach
  • Steve Price - Sharks assistant coach
  • Jason Ryles - Roosters assistant coach
  • Nathan Brown - Eels head of pathways
  • Paul McGregor - NSW Origin assistant coach
  • Shane Flanagan - Sea Eagles assistant coach
  • Willie Peters - Hull KR head coach
  • Peter Gentle - Sea Eagles recruitment
  • Brett Morris - Roosters assistant
  • Daniel Holdsworth - Sharks assistant
  • Mick Crawley - Raiders assistant coach

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

DRAGONS BRAIN DRAIN

• Jason Demetriou - Rabbitohs head coach (His value as a coach has gone through the roof since he left the Dragons)
  • Justin Holbrook - Titans head coach (Didn't know that. No comment really. Wait and see until tomorrow evening.)
  • Trent Barrett - Eels attack coach (Big wraps on his ability as an assistant coach.)
  • Nathan Fien - Dolphins assistant coach (Has a relationship with Bennett.)
  • Dean Young - Cowboys assistant coach (The board should be justifiably hesitant to hire rookie coach.)
  • Craig Fitzgibbon - Sharks head coach (As above.)
  • Steve Price - Sharks assistant coach (As a Dragons coach, this is the stuff of nightmares.)
  • Jason Ryles - Roosters assistant coach (Another rookie.)
  • Nathan Brown - Eels head of pathways (Not a head coach. Would be a coup to get him as an assistant.)
  • Paul McGregor - NSW Origin assistant coach (a little better than Chinlesss.)
  • Shane Flanagan - Sea Eagles assistant coach (Could be a good replacement for Hook.)
  • Willie Peters - Hull KR head coach (Who?)
  • Peter Gentle - Sea Eagles recruitment (Not a head coach or an assistant.)
  • Brett Morris - Roosters assistant (He bleeds red, white and blue. No spot available at the Dragons.)
  • Daniel Holdsworth - Sharks assistant (I've heard of him from somewhere. Not sure where.)
  • Mick Crawley - Raiders assistant coach (Who?)

Eric

Staff

DRAGONS BRAIN DRAIN

• Jason Demetriou - Rabbitohs head coach (His value as a coach has gone through the roof since he left the Dragons)
  • Justin Holbrook - Titans head coach (Didn't know that. No comment really. Wait and see until tomorrow evening.)
  • Trent Barrett - Eels attack coach (Big wraps on his ability as an assistant coach.)
  • Nathan Fien - Dolphins assistant coach (Has a relationship with Bennett.)
  • Dean Young - Cowboys assistant coach (The board should be justifiably hesitant to hire rookie coach.)
  • Craig Fitzgibbon - Sharks head coach (As above.)
  • Steve Price - Sharks assistant coach (As a Dragons coach, this is the stuff of nightmares.)
  • Jason Ryles - Roosters assistant coach (Another rookie.)
  • Nathan Brown - Eels head of pathways (Not a head coach. Would be a coup to get him as an assistant.)
  • Paul McGregor - NSW Origin assistant coach (a little better than Chinlesss.)
  • Shane Flanagan - Sea Eagles assistant coach (Could be a good replacement for Hook.)
  • Willie Peters - Hull KR head coach (Who?)
  • Peter Gentle - Sea Eagles recruitment (Not a head coach or an assistant.)
  • Brett Morris - Roosters assistant (He bleeds red, white and blue. No spot available at the Dragons.)
  • Daniel Holdsworth - Sharks assistant (I've heard of him from somewhere. Not sure where.)
  • Mick Crawley - Raiders assistant coach (Who?)
I think Daniel Holdsworth was a depth 5/8 in Bennetts time at the Dragons.