Damien Cook..

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
I would say Bennett (or Souths) is trying to free up salary cap space by getting rid of him. How much of his salary are Souths going to pay ? I think it is a good signing..,

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I would say Bennett (or Souths) is trying to free up salary cap space by getting rid of him. How much of his salary are Souths going to pay ? I think it is a good signing..,
A lot of noise about them trying to offload him and get a hooker in the prime of his career rather than one right at the end. I think it's a terrible signing.

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
But Souths are paying a large part of the salary cap for the first year so it looks ok to me. But tough on Jacob Liddle if he is forced to the bench. But Cook himself may come off the bench….

Eric

Staff
But Souths are paying a large part of the salary cap for the first year so it looks ok to me. But tough on Jacob Liddle if he is forced to the bench. But Cook himself may come off the bench….
I think the idea is to bring Cook off the bench. How much of his contract are Souffs paying? And they won't be paying a cent for his second year.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think it's only 50k Souths that pay for 2025 (2026 is all us).. I dont think money really matters though, its a bargain imo to finally get our first 2025 signing (after missing so many).. and its someone half-decent who hopefully might help us land a 2nd or 3rd... in particular that Lomax replacement.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I think it's only 50k Souths that pay for 2025 (2026 is all us).. I dont think money really matters though, its a bargain imo to finally get our first 2025 signing (after missing so many).. and its someone half-decent who hopefully might help us land a 2nd or 3rd... in particular that Lomax replacement.
I hope he's still decent next year because he was dropped to NSW Cup a few weeks ago this year.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
A lot of noise about them trying to offload him and get a hooker in the prime of his career rather than one right at the end. I think it's a terrible signing.
Far from the worst signing over the last several years. Macca, McGuire, BMM, Burgess, Brown, not as bad but also Eisenhuth and RFM. Why do we need those 2 with Toby C getting a few min each game and Ryan C in ressies?

But I'm still not a fan (of signing Cook).

RedVictory

SGI Jersey Flegg
I hope he's still decent next year because he was dropped to NSW Cup a few weeks ago this year.
The dropping didn’t have much to do with his performances but rather to send a message to the playing group. He’s still putting in quality performances.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The dropping didn’t have much to do with his performances but rather to send a message to the playing group. He’s still putting in quality performances.
Of course I hope he plays well for us. Still would have preferred Liddle along with a stop gap solution if Haele Finau or Kyan Hjaltason aren't first grade standard.

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
I was watching last night and I don’t think his age is a problem. He looked fit. He is just not wanted at Souths. Like when they got rid of Keary and then Reynolds. Bennett may have had something to do with it. But Bennett himself is not perfect. Remember when he let Josh Morris leave for the Bullgrubs ? But how much are Souths chipping in for the first year. Half ?—-Surely more than 50K ?

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I was watching last night and I don’t think his age is a problem. He looked fit. He is just not wanted at Souths. Like when they got rid of Keary and then Reynolds. Bennett may have had something to do with it. But Bennett himself is not perfect. Remember when he let Josh Morris leave for the Bullgrubs ? But how much are Souths chipping in for the first year. Half ?—-Surely more than 50K ?
Bennett turned down the services of Cameron Smith and Johnathon Thurston before they played NRL.

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
But look at Brisbane without Reynolds. Struggling ! I think he could be a great buy and after all he was a Saint to begin, so he is just coming home. He might even play five-eight….

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
But look at Brisbane without Reynolds. Struggling ! I think he could be a great buy and after all he was a Saint to begin, so he is just coming home. He might even play five-eight….
When Flanno signed Kyle, he said it was to play hooker. What happened with that? Is there any doubt Flanno puts whats good for Kyle above what's good for the team?

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Kyle is our starting 5/8 currently, if we snag a Dearden level talent we can look at other options. Talagi is even an option there if we did get him, but right now we would probably need him to replace Lomax @ctr.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Kyle is our starting 5/8 currently, if we snag a Dearden level talent we can look at other options. Talagi is even an option there if we did get him, but right now we would probably need him to replace Lomax @ctr.
I get people saying he is better than Amone was last year. Debatable but possible. But he's just not good enough for first grade. It's gotten so bad, when he doesn't totally screw up, people say he played well. I bet he's got the lowest number of try assists and line break assists of all halves who have played 10 games or more.

Eric

Staff
I get people saying he is better than Amone was last year. Debatable but possible. But he's just not good enough for first grade. It's gotten so bad, when he doesn't totally screw up, people say he played well. I bet he's got the lowest number of try assists and line break assists of all halves who have played 10 games or more.
Is Flanno making Kyle's spot in the team more secure by not having a goal kicker other than Kyle next year?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well I'm the old coach stat's man, here's your breakdown of Flanagan.
Try Assists:
2019 - Played 8 - 5 Assists
2020 - Played 18 - 11 Assists
2021 - Played 15 - 4 Assists
2022 - Played 20 - 9 Assists
2023 - Played 17 - 1 Assist
2024 - Played 14 - 3 Assists
Summary- Played 92 - 33 Assists
Tries
2019 - Played 8 - 1 Try
2020 - Played 18 - 4 Tries
2021 - Played 15 - 1 Try
2022 - Played 20 - 4 Tries
2023 - Played 17 - 2 Tries
2024 - Played 14 - 5 Tries
Summary- Played 92 - 17 Tries

His defensive stat's are not very good I'm afraid

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Try Assists:
Tries
2019 - Played 8 - 1 Try
2021 - Played 15 - 1 Try

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 3 try assists in 14 games utterly atrocious for a 5/8?

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Try Assists:
Tries
2019 - Played 8 - 1 Try
2021 - Played 15 - 1 Try

I won't go through every 5/8 but looked at the stats for some of the struggling teams:
  • Keiran Foran has 13 line break assists (LBA) and 10 try assists (TA) from 11 games.
  • Jayden Campbell: 3 LBA and 3 TA from 6 games.
  • Te Maire Martin: 10 LBA and 9 TA from 9 games.
  • Cody Walker: 9 LBA and 12 TA from 13 games.
  • Lachlan Galvin: 3 LBA and 7 TA from 10 games.
  • Dylan Brown: 9 LBA and 10 TA from 14 games.
  • Luke Brooks: 11 LBA and 9 TA from 14 games.

• Kyle Flanagan: 3 LBA and 5 TA from 14 games.
Why isn't anyone talking about his spot in the 17? Flanno has done as masterful job in having us complain about everyone but Kyle.