Electric Eel

slip

SGI Junior League
Check out my forum!!

My favourite Dragons game was in 1984

1984 Preliminary Final: Parramatta 8 d St George 7

With four minutes left in the game, Parramatta coach John Monie admitted he was ready to concede defeat to Saints.

"With eight minutes to go my blokes pressed the panic button and when the clock wound down to four minutes I was ready to call it a day," Monie said.

"But skipper Steve Edge turned that situation around. He proved why he is the game's most invaluable leader."

To a man the Parramatta players admitted they were guilty of panicking, as international centre Steve Ella later related.

"We were behind 7 - 4 and running out of time so we panicked," he said.

"But in my opinion Saints were in a similar situation and we were able to get back to our pattern before they recovered"

Inside the last five minutes Saints gave away two vital penalties which saw the Eels creep deep inside their quarter.

As the clock went past the three minute mark Peter Sterling was pulled down centimetres short of the line.

Moments later, Sterling sent a pass to Brett Kenny who beat one tackle, with a dummy-pass only to be caught around the legs by Mick Beattie.

Kenny stood in the tackle and lobbed a 20 metre pass out to the unmarked Eric Grothe whose momentum carried him over the line in Steve Roger's tackle.

It was a shattering finale for Saints who had turned back wave after wave of Parramatta attacks for most of the first half.

But when there's little or nothing between two great teams it doesn't take much to change fortunes.

Parramatta 8 (E.Grothe try, M.Cronin 2 goals) defeated St George 7 (S.Morris try, S.Gearin goal, S.Rogers field goal). Referee: K.Roberts. Crowd: 37,044.

Attachments

• Preliminary Final 1984.jpg
    Preliminary Final 1984.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 2

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Check out my forum!!

My favourite Dragons game was in 1984

1984 Preliminary Final: Parramatta 8 d St George 7

With four minutes left in the game, Parramatta coach John Monie admitted he was ready to concede defeat to Saints.

"With eight minutes to go my blokes pressed the panic button and when the clock wound down to four minutes I was ready to call it a day," Monie said.

"But skipper Steve Edge turned that situation around. He proved why he is the game's most invaluable leader."

To a man the Parramatta players admitted they were guilty of panicking, as international centre Steve Ella later related.

"We were behind 7 - 4 and running out of time so we panicked," he said.

"But in my opinion Saints were in a similar situation and we were able to get back to our pattern before they recovered"

Inside the last five minutes Saints gave away two vital penalties which saw the Eels creep deep inside their quarter.

As the clock went past the three minute mark Peter Sterling was pulled down centimetres short of the line.

Moments later, Sterling sent a pass to Brett Kenny who beat one tackle, with a dummy-pass only to be caught around the legs by Mick Beattie.

Kenny stood in the tackle and lobbed a 20 metre pass out to the unmarked Eric Grothe whose momentum carried him over the line in Steve Roger's tackle.

It was a shattering finale for Saints who had turned back wave after wave of Parramatta attacks for most of the first half.

But when there's little or nothing between two great teams it doesn't take much to change fortunes.

Parramatta 8 (E.Grothe try, M.Cronin 2 goals) defeated St George 7 (S.Morris try, S.Gearin goal, S.Rogers field goal). Referee: K.Roberts. Crowd: 37,044.
It must be easy for Eels fans to have favourite games because they've had so little success in....... how long have they been in the comp now? Fro Dragons fans, picking a favourite game is so hard. But personally I liked the knock out semi against the Broncos 4 years ago. As for memorable games against Parramatta..... have there been any?

slip

SGI Junior League
It must be easy for Eels fans to have favourite games because they've had so little success in....... how long have they been in the comp now?
I've seen 4 premierships!! OK, I was 7,8,9 and 12 at the time, but experienced success.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Since '47. Lost 2 grand finals since the last premiership in 1986.
I see. Well much better than the Shonkies and old North Sydney but I can see why you have such vivid memories of some obscure game in which you just scraped home against St George.

slip

SGI Junior League
Can I show this forum that I created?
Might be ABBA fans on this Dragons forum??

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Parramatta were pretty good though obviously Canberra played their GF a week earlier. Cowboys - Penrith GF coming up.

slip

SGI Junior League
Parramatta were pretty good though obviously Canberra played their GF a week earlier. Cowboys - Penrith GF coming up.
Eels beating Cowboys in Townsville and terrible Queensland conditions of 30 degree heat (I'm grateful to be living in Canberra - it's still winter here), will be tough.

Tonight's score was the correct result, it was team 4 at home playing team 8. I'm not getting carried away with the win and besides I don't rate the Eels coach.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Eels beating Cowboys in Townsville and terrible Queensland conditions of 30 degree heat (I'm grateful to be living in Canberra - it's still winter here), will be tough.

Tonight's score was the correct result, it was team 4 at home playing team 8. I'm not getting carried away with the win and besides I don't rate the Eels coach.
It will be a high scoring game whoever wins. Cowboys are a team capable of putting on an attacking masterclass and beating Penrith. Though it's unlikely.

slip

SGI Junior League
It will be a high scoring game whoever wins. Cowboys are a team capable of putting on an attacking masterclass and beating Penrith. Though it's unlikely.
I wouldn't dismiss Bunnies. Latrell Mitchell is a big game player. You'd think Souths will beat Sharks tomorrow.