NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg, 2024

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flegg wrap
I think just about everyone in the side gave away a penalty or made a error that put us under pressure.

Ben did some good things and made bad decisions again. If kick chasers put him under pressure he struggles.

Jesse scored a try set up a try and had chance for two more but execution was off. He missed a few tackles but looked to get more involved. One of his better games. 200rm

TK not as involved but the kid is a natural at taking bombs.

Finau was a bit quiet again, the long season caching up with him I expect.

Jake played a good spell in the middle and made good metres.

Jack on report for late hit.

Nick T was hot and cold again. 137rm
As for Williams, isn't 200m run for an 18 year-old in an u21s competition very impressive?

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
In the last year or 2 I never got to see any lower grades.. but I remember B.Johnson and C.Roberts always being on the score-sheets.. I was told they werent really being talked about as moving up, but as soon as we had injuries they both did..

Cooper has been 'ok' he got to play a few games now... but I assume he will be surpassed by TK and Williams next year.. he has a big body and seems ok in the air... but not huge amounts of acceleration...

Johnson though has gotten better as the year has gone on, but def too early for any top30.. maybe a dev pos.. its him or Buchanan though.. I think Johnson has maybe 2yrs or so headstart? Intriguing indeed.. given Afu was injured for so long we cant really compare him..

I feel like its ideal if we dont have to rush anyone.. its so nice when you look back over 3, 6 or 12 months.. and see how a kid who seemed to barely handle cup.. is now at least comfortable if not thriving.. Tamale is one such example, after 12-18mths he looks really dominant now but he rly didnt even a few months ago.. LKT has rly come along in 10 games this year, but still a long way to go as a playmaker.. and Tonga is for me one of the only kids that bucks that trend.. from his debut.. he was totally up to the increased level.. I mean he will (and is) getting better every game... but this kid is clearly a level above the other 19yr olds... so u know he has 1st grade coming sooner rather than later.
There seems to be so many good young players almost ready for NRL. I'm going to give Griffin a wrap. I remember watching an interview with him when he as first appointed. He talked first and foremost about building a club from the ground up. It meant getting the junior recruitment/pathways in order. He didn't say but suggested it would take a few years.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
TK, Rumble and Williams definitely not on the radar for first grade at some stage next year? Of course not from round 1 but at some stage? The NRL team could really use one more fast, outside back.

TK is the youngest and the one i would put my money on to debut.

Rumble & TK both on Train & Trial I think? Williams

Rumble Full Time T&T
TK pre season
Williams one day a week.

Johnson though has gotten better as the year has gone on, but def too early for any top30.. maybe a dev pos.. its him or Buchanan though.. I think Johnson has maybe 2yrs or so headstart?

Ben is not in consideration for top 30
Hayden is 18 Ben is 22 so shows you how far ahead Hayden is in development.
To put it in perspective Mat and Max are 23.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
yeah, there is always that. One can take an intercept, run 100m and only run 20 for the rest of the game and his stats will look ok.

Sloan is a great example but every winger will have his strengths & weakness, they'll each have their own style. Jesse looks like the typical finisher rather than a workhorse, as fans we can't have expectations which don't match their strengths. I would like to develop wingers who aren't 1 trick ponies though, it would be great to see Jesse develop another part of his game too.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sloan is a great example but every winger will have his strengths & weakness, they'll each have their own style. Jesse looks like the typical finisher rather than a workhorse, as fans we can't have expectations which don't match their strengths. I would like to develop wingers who aren't 1 trick ponies though, it would be great to see Jesse develop another part of his game too.
That's what the lower grades are for, coaches will see where he needs to develop and work on it in Flegg/KOE cup.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The Dragons produced an upset over the Bulldogs to continue their charge for the top five with several players stepping up to deliver.

Jack Bird put his hand up to play fullback once again and finished with a try assist, three linebreak assists, five tackle busts and 131 metres.

Meanwhile, rising five-eighth Lyhkan King-Togia scored a try and set up another. He also got three linebreak assists, ran 84 metres and made 18 tackles with no misses.

Both wingers had some nice moments too. Raiders-bound Savelio Tamale proved to be a handful with 10 tackle busts and 219 metres, while Mikaele Ravalawa scored two tries in four minutes, got seven tackle busts and ran 184 metres.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
The Dragons produced an upset over the Bulldogs to continue their charge for the top five with several players stepping up to deliver.

Jack Bird put his hand up to play fullback once again and finished with a try assist, three linebreak assists, five tackle busts and 131 metres.

Meanwhile, rising five-eighth Lyhkan King-Togia scored a try and set up another. He also got three linebreak assists, ran 84 metres and made 18 tackles with no misses.

Both wingers had some nice moments too. Raiders-bound Savelio Tamale proved to be a handful with 10 tackle busts and 219 metres, while Mikaele Ravalawa scored two tries in four minutes, got seven tackle busts and ran 184 metres.
I wonder if Lyhkan King-Togia is in line to replace Kyle Flanno.

Eric

Staff

NSW Cup: Dragons vs Canberra​

Jersey Flegg: Dragons vs Canberra​

1. Lyhkan King-Togia
  2. Savelio Tamale
  3. Ben Johnson
  4. Hayden Buchanan
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jesse Marschke
  7. Jonah Glover
  8. Josh Coric
  9. Connor Muhleisen
  10. Loko Jnr Pasifiki Tonga
  11. Dylan Egan
  12. Dan Russell
  13. Michael Molo

14. Haele Finau
  15. Alec Tuitavake
  16. Viliami Fifita
  17. Jackson Shereb

18. Hamish Stewart
  1. Ben Rumble
  2. Tom Kirk
  3. David Afu
  4. Cyrus Stanley-Traill
  5. Jesse Williams
  6. Nick Quinn
  7. Ashton Ward
  8. Jett Liu
  9. Kyan Hjaltason
  10. Jacob Webster
  11. Nicholas Tsougranis
  12. Jack Quinn
  13. Finau Latu

14. Tyler Peckham-Harris
  15. Travis Barrett-Hancock
  16. Isaac Laughton
  17. Jacob Halangahu

18. Toby Miller
  • I just don't understand Flanno. If LKT is penciled in to be the long term 5/8 and he's getting better and better playing there in NSW Cup, why move him to fullback?
  • Buchanan is back. Hopefully he's not sent back to Flegg this week. Actually the Canberra fullback who saved NSW in the U19s Origin game is their fullback. Hayden couldn't get a chance to show what he could do because the rubbish 1/2 and 5/8 for NSW refused to pass the ball. Be good if Hayden can outplay him.
  • Apparently #11 had a good game. That's good. Needs to be in the 17 for NRL next year.
  • They are still mathematically a chance to make the finals but not looking likely.
  • More important is for #2 and #5 in particular to play well because need them to add some speed to the NRL backline ASAP.
  • #14 is back. Very talented and gives 110% but he's not big enough. Makes Dufty look like a giant.
  • #17, #13 and #11 are all in the top 30 next year, aren't they? Wonder why #11 can't get a run in NSW Cup.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
We thinking Cooper Roberts back in and Tamale to fullback tomorrow? Depth being stretched in NSW Cup lately, and the Raiders is almost a must-win game against one of the best sides in the comp.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
We thinking Cooper Roberts back in and Tamale to fullback tomorrow? Depth being stretched in NSW Cup lately, and the Raiders is almost a must-win game against one of the best sides in the comp.
Or give Ben Rumble a chance in Cup. Why not? Flegg team is pretty much out of contention.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Or give Ben Rumble a chance in Cup. Why not? Flegg team is pretty much out of contention.
its possible.. I'd love to see it.. they must have known LKT was playing early in the week, so this wouldnt be a surprise situation.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Wow, to do with defence or other aspects of his play?
personality clash? Wolff's mind already in Redcliffe? I imagine Wolff is already thinking about what's best for the Dolphins, not the Dragons. Should be sent on his way immediately. I'm sure he's the best bloke in the world but this is business. He's thinking about Dolphins future, not Dragons.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Canberra will probably flog our Jersey Flegg team shortly. Good luck to them. They are no chance of making the finals in first grade so may as well load up their lower grades.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
The NRL team could really use one more fast, outside back.
According to NC scribes it wont be Sione Finau following an interview by Flanagan and a subsequent possible 17 for '25. Whether this is pure conjecture or from our coach, is uncertain.
NC list: Sloan, Holmes, Mat F, Max F, Suli.

Last edited: