Round 4 vs Knights

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I'm looking forward for a pretty comfortable win in this game.

St George Illawarra NRL Telstra Women's Premiership coach Jamie Soward has named his mandatory 24-woman squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 4 clash against the Newcastle Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday, March 20 (1:45pm).

Captain Kezie Apps (hand) has been named to return alongside previously suspended duo Madison Bartlett and Kody House. Talei Holmes and Tegan Dymock (both hand) have been named but remain in extreme doubt to face the Knights.

NRL Women's Premiership Round 4: St George Illawarra Dragons v Newcastle Knights​

1. Emma Tonegato – proudly sponsored by Les Nereides
2. Teagan Berry – proudly sponsored by EFEX
3. Jaime Chapman – proudly sponsored by TripADeal
4. Page McGregor – proudly sponsored by Modus Projects
5. Madison Bartlett – proudly sponsored by HWL Ebsworth Lawyers
6. Taliah Fuimaono – proudly sponsored by Classic
7. Rachael Pearson – proudly sponsored by St.George Bank
8. Elsie Albert – proudly sponsored by Deicorp
9. Keeley Davis – proudly sponsored by Rufus and CoCo
10. Kezie Apps (c) – proudly sponsored by Scenic World
11. Talei Holmes – proudly sponsored by ELMO Software
12. Shaylee Bent – proudly sponsored by WhiteGlo
13. Holli Wheeler – proudly sponsored by Bryopin

Interchange:
14. Quincy Dodd – proudly sponsored by CBC Group
15. Kody House – proudly sponsored by The LoveChain
16. Tegan Dymock – proudly sponsored by St George Food Distributors
17. Janelle Williams – proudly sponsored by Gearbox
18. Renee Targett
19. Keele Browne
20. Shellie Long
21. Aliti Namoce
22. Alexandra Sulusi
23. Matilda Power
24. Chantel Tugaga

Eric

Staff
I'm looking forward for a pretty comfortable win in this game.

St George Illawarra NRL Telstra Women's Premiership coach Jamie Soward has named his mandatory 24-woman squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 4 clash against the Newcastle Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday, March 20 (1:45pm).

Captain Kezie Apps (hand) has been named to return alongside previously suspended duo Madison Bartlett and Kody House. Talei Holmes and Tegan Dymock (both hand) have been named but remain in extreme doubt to face the Knights.

NRL Women's Premiership Round 4: St George Illawarra Dragons v Newcastle Knights​

1. Emma Tonegato – proudly sponsored by Les Nereides
2. Teagan Berry – proudly sponsored by EFEX
3. Jaime Chapman – proudly sponsored by TripADeal
4. Page McGregor – proudly sponsored by Modus Projects
5. Madison Bartlett – proudly sponsored by HWL Ebsworth Lawyers
6. Taliah Fuimaono – proudly sponsored by Classic
7. Rachael Pearson – proudly sponsored by St.George Bank
8. Elsie Albert – proudly sponsored by Deicorp
9. Keeley Davis – proudly sponsored by Rufus and CoCo
10. Kezie Apps (c) – proudly sponsored by Scenic World
11. Talei Holmes – proudly sponsored by ELMO Software
12. Shaylee Bent – proudly sponsored by WhiteGlo
13. Holli Wheeler – proudly sponsored by Bryopin

Interchange:
14. Quincy Dodd – proudly sponsored by CBC Group
15. Kody House – proudly sponsored by The LoveChain
16. Tegan Dymock – proudly sponsored by St George Food Distributors
17. Janelle Williams – proudly sponsored by Gearbox
18. Renee Targett
19. Keele Browne
20. Shellie Long
21. Aliti Namoce
22. Alexandra Sulusi
23. Matilda Power
24. Chantel Tugaga
With Gold Coast winning today, it means St George will go assume their rightful position on top of the table provided they do as expected and account for Newcastle.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
With Gold Coast winning today, it means St George will go assume their rightful position on top of the table provided they do as expected and account for Newcastle.
Nope. Have to win by 22 points or more to assume their rightful position at the head of the table.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Hard to pick our best. They were all good but I'm leaning toward Tonagato.
Fuimaono led them around very well. Albert got them rolling forward again and again. Tonagato carved them up on the back of the work done by Fuimanon and Albert. Tonagato will probably get WOM (woman of the match) but it could go to Fuimaono or Albert.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons top NRLW ladder after record win over Newcastle Knights​

St George Illawarra Dragons have gone to the top of the NRLW ladder for the first time in their history after knocking Brisbane off their perch with a record 40-4 win over Newcastle. With one round to play before finals, the Dragons flexed their muscle with the biggest win of all-time in the NRLW while becoming the first team to score 40 points in a match.

Jaime Chapman, Emma Tonegato, Teagan Berry and Madison Bartlett all bagged doubles in the drubbing, with the latter's haul coming in her return game from suspension for biting. The win means the Broncos are not top of the premiership table for only the second week in the NRLW's history.

And after being wooden spooners in two of the competition's three seasons, teams will now seriously be looking at the Dragons as title frontrunners under coach Jamie Soward. "I couldn't care what they say," Soward said. "I didn't really know about (the ladder), I don't think the girls did either.

"They didn't watch much (Brisbane lose to Gold Coast) yesterday and today it was straight to the sheds. "It's onto next week for us." Their only concern was a lower back injury sustained by halfback Rachael Pearson, however the club is confident the issue is only minor and she has been battling it for weeks.

In a brutally one-sided affair, the Dragons had 65 per cent of the ball as the winless Knights could only complete 12 sets in the 70 minutes at their home ground. The Red V also missed just five tackles, while Elise Albert was again dominant in the middle as she finished with 136 metres and lock Holli Wheeler had 131.

Tonegata's first try was the pick of the day, stepping two defenders from a scrum 30 metres out to go over under the posts. It kickstarted a second-half demolition job, as the Dragons ran in five tries in the space of 15 minutes.

Great result. These girls and women are really a credit to the club. Need to back it up with a good win next week to seal the minor premiership.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
They are getting a lot of good publicity!

Dragons smash records as they bump Broncos off top spot of NRLW ladder​

St George Illawarra Dragons have issued the first serious threat to the Broncos’ pursuit of four consecutive NRLW premierships with a record-breaking 40-4 win over the Knights.​

The Dragons were on the wrong end of the two biggest defeats in the competition’s short history in 2019 - a 26-0 loss to the Broncos and a 30-4 loss to the Roosters - but now have a much better record to their name after thumping a hapless Newcastle side in front of their home fans.

Led by Olympic gold medallist Emma Tonegato and doubles to Madison Bartlett and Jaime Chapman, they amassed the biggest total, the largest winning margin and knocked the Broncos off the top of the NRLW ladder for just the second time in the competition’s history. The performance wasn’t enough to convince coach Jamie Soward to talk his side up as premiership hopefuls, though.

And he couldn’t care less if they’re marked favourites after rising to the top of the ladder, either. “I couldn’t care what they say, really. I don’t read any of that stuff,” Soward said when asked if the Dragons are now premiership favourites. “Right now, we’re seeing the most skilled rugby league players in the women’s game ever - the way they play and the way they execute.

“I don’t really care too much about whether people are looking at us or looking up at us. I care about the 24 girls we have in the squad. We just go out there and play. If that’s not good enough, then that’s up to us. But I don’t really care and never have cared about what people are saying.”
The win also set up a tantalising final round. All three matches will affect which team earns a spot in the top four.

The Dragons will host the fifth-placed Roosters at Kogarah on Saturday, before the Titans (fourth) face the Knights (sixth) and the Broncos (second) host the Eels (third) in a double header at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.