Semi Final vs Gold Coast

Eric

Staff

2021 NRL Telstra Women's Premiership Semi-Finals​

Sunday, April 3, 12:00pm AEDT at Leichhardt Oval​

Semi Final #1 — St George Illawarra Dragons (2) v Gold Coast Titans (3)​

St George Illawarra Dragons record 16-10 NRLW win over Sydney Roosters​

St George Illawarra is set to claim a historic NRLW minor premiership after fullback Emma Tonegato helped her team to a hard-fought 16-10 win over the Sydney Roosters. The Dragons can seal top spot for the first time after Brisbane and Parramatta square off on Sunday, with the three-time champion Broncos needing to win by more than 20 points to edge ahead on points differential.

Saturday afternoon's loss at Kogarah means the Roosters sit fifth and must rely on the winless Newcastle beating Gold Coast on Sunday as well as points differential to play semi-finals. Olympic gold medal-winning rugby sevens star Tonegato showed her footwork to score a second-half try against the Roosters, but earlier pulled off the tackle of the competition to keep her team in the lead.

Roosters speedster Jess Sergis made a break from 55 metres out but she was chased down by Tonegato, whose flying cover tackle took the centre into touch two metres from the tryline. With both sides struggling to complete their sets in the first half, the Dragons' sole try was scored by PNG international Elsie Albert. Prop Elsie Albert juggled a ball by Keeley Davis before getting it down in the ninth minute.

St George Illawarra's attack was not helped by losing centre Jaime Chapman to a head knock just three minutes into the match. The Roosters had two tries disallowed by the bunker to remain scoreless in the opening stanza. The Dragons scored two tries within two minutes early in the second half as Kody House ran a great line to collect a pass from five-eighth Taliah Fuimaono before Tonegato's try. The lead was out to 12-0, with goal-kicking problematic for the Dragons, before Roosters prop Sarah Togatuki steam-rolled three defenders in the 47th minute.

Madison Bartlett again gave the Dragons some breathing space when the winger took an intercept and ran 65 metres to touch down. And while Isabelle Kelly scored against her old side in the 69th minute, the Roosters lacked game awareness by attempting the conversion from the sideline rather than hunting another try before full-time.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

2021 NRL Telstra Women's Premiership Semi-Finals​

Sunday, April 3, 12:00pm AEDT at Leichhardt Oval​

Semi Final #1 — St George Illawarra Dragons (2) v Gold Coast Titans (3)​

St George Illawarra Dragons record 16-10 NRLW win over Sydney Roosters​

St George Illawarra is set to claim a historic NRLW minor premiership after fullback Emma Tonegato helped her team to a hard-fought 16-10 win over the Sydney Roosters. The Dragons can seal top spot for the first time after Brisbane and Parramatta square off on Sunday, with the three-time champion Broncos needing to win by more than 20 points to edge ahead on points differential.

Saturday afternoon's loss at Kogarah means the Roosters sit fifth and must rely on the winless Newcastle beating Gold Coast on Sunday as well as points differential to play semi-finals. Olympic gold medal-winning rugby sevens star Tonegato showed her footwork to score a second-half try against the Roosters, but earlier pulled off the tackle of the competition to keep her team in the lead.

Roosters speedster Jess Sergis made a break from 55 metres out but she was chased down by Tonegato, whose flying cover tackle took the centre into touch two metres from the tryline. With both sides struggling to complete their sets in the first half, the Dragons' sole try was scored by PNG international Elsie Albert. Prop Elsie Albert juggled a ball by Keeley Davis before getting it down in the ninth minute.

St George Illawarra's attack was not helped by losing centre Jaime Chapman to a head knock just three minutes into the match. The Roosters had two tries disallowed by the bunker to remain scoreless in the opening stanza. The Dragons scored two tries within two minutes early in the second half as Kody House ran a great line to collect a pass from five-eighth Taliah Fuimaono before Tonegato's try. The lead was out to 12-0, with goal-kicking problematic for the Dragons, before Roosters prop Sarah Togatuki steam-rolled three defenders in the 47th minute.

Madison Bartlett again gave the Dragons some breathing space when the winger took an intercept and ran 65 metres to touch down. And while Isabelle Kelly scored against her old side in the 69th minute, the Roosters lacked game awareness by attempting the conversion from the sideline rather than hunting another try before full-time.
They blew it to some extent last game. Missing first choice halfback might have been a bigger issue than previously thought. Seemed to be a real lack of patience.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
These girls have been a real bright light in an otherwise very sim season.

St George Illawarra NRL Telstra Women's Premiership coach Jamie Soward has named his mandatory 24-woman squad ahead of the Dragons' semi-final clash against the Gold Coast Titans at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday, April 3 (12pm).

Rachael Pearson (rested) returns at halfback for the Dragons' first finals game since 2019. Teagan Dymock (hand) is also a chance of returning after being named on the bench. A win against the Titans on Sunday will seal the Dragons' spot in the 2021 NRLW grand final. Secure your semi-final seat here.

NRLW semi-final; St George Illawarra Dragons v Gold Coast Titans​

1. Emma Tonegato – proudly sponsored by Les Nereides
2. Teagan Berry – proudly sponsored by EFEX
3. Jaime Chapman – proudly sponsored by TripADeal
4. Page McGregor – proudly sponsored by Modus Projects
5. Madison Bartlett – proudly sponsored by HWL Ebsworth Lawyers
6. Taliah Fuimaono – proudly sponsored by Classic
7. Rachael Pearson – proudly sponsored by St.George Bank
8. Elsie Albert – proudly sponsored by Deicorp
9. Keeley Davis – proudly sponsored by Rufus and CoCo
10. Kezie Apps (c) – proudly sponsored by Scenic World
11. Talei Holmes – proudly sponsored by ELMO Software
12. Shaylee Bent – proudly sponsored by WhiteGlo
13. Holli Wheeler – proudly sponsored by Bryopin
Interchange:
14. Quincy Dodd – proudly sponsored by CBC Group
15. Kody House – proudly sponsored by The LoveChain
16. Tegan Dymock – proudly sponsored by St George Food Distributors
17. Janelle Williams – proudly sponsored by Gearbox
18. Renee Targett
19. Keele Browne
20. Shellie Long
21. Aliti Namoce
22. Alexandra Sulusi
23. Matilda Power
24. Chantel Tugaga

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra NRL Telstra Women's Premiership coach Jamie Soward has named his mandatory 24-woman squad ahead of the Dragons' semi-final clash against the Gold Coast Titans at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday, April 3 (12pm).

Rachael Pearson (rested) returns at halfback for the Dragons' first finals game since 2019. Teagan Dymock (hand) is also a chance of returning after being named on the bench. A win against the Titans on Sunday will seal the Dragons' spot in the 2021 NRLW grand final. Secure your semi-final seat here.

Interchange:
18. Renee Targett
19. Keele Browne
20. Shellie Long
21. Aliti Namoce
22. Alexandra Sulusi
23. Matilda Power
24. Chantel Tugaga
Should be a comfortable win but far from assured. In the first half against Broncos, Teagan Berry who is really fast was causing the them all kinds of trouble running in behind the ruck. Need more of that. Otherwise just back off the very low % plays. In attack someone like #2 Berry or or #12 Bent or #3 Chapman needs to take some pressure off our figurative and literal #1.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Interchange:
18. Renee Targett
19. Keele Browne
20. Shellie Long
21. Aliti Namoce
And please, if you can, support the sponsors of these girls. I had a look at Emma Tonegato's sponsor. Some really good, reasonably priced stuff for a guys significant other. Jamie Chapman's sponsor isn't great at present. Too easy to organise domestic holidays without a middle-man but once international travel restarts. Some good stuff there!

Eric

Staff

NRLW 2022 semi-final: St George Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans, team lists, news​

Shaylee Bent hopes a return to Leichhart Oval will be a good-luck charm for the Dragons in their NRLW semi-final showdown.​

Shaylee Bent knows the magic of Leichhardt Oval better than most. The St George Illawarra second-rower now hopes it will be “a good-luck-charm” when her side meets the Gold Coast Titans in Sunday’s do-or-die NRLW semi-final double-header. “I’m a junior Tiger and I feel like I’ve had a lot of good luck playing at Leichhardt,” Bent said.

“In 2018 I played Tarsha Gale for the Tigers with my sister and our Dad coached us. I remember playing Newcastle at Leichhardt in a semi-final and it was really special for our family. “After the Tigers I went and played for Mounties in the first year of Harvey Norman, we played South Sydney at Leichhardt in the semi-finals and they were the favourites to win but we won against them at that field.

St George Illawarra NRLW star, Shaylee Bent“And I love the history behind it, the field has been there for a very long time and there’s been a lot of players play there before us.” Up to 5000 supporters are expected to gather at the Lilyfield stadium on Sunday to watch the finals matches, starting with the Dragons v Titans from noon. The Dragons have been one of the most consistent sides in the NRLW this season but face a Titans outfit that are coming off two strong wins and Bent, former Dragons Player of the Year, said she is prepared for “a tough game”.

“And I love the history behind it, the field has been there for a very long time and there’s been a lot of players play there before us.” Up to 5000 supporters are expected to gather at the Lilyfield stadium on Sunday to watch the finals matches, starting with the Dragons v Titans from noon. The Dragons have been one of the most consistent sides in the NRLW this season but face a Titans outfit that are coming off two strong wins and Bent, former Dragons Player of the Year, said she is prepared for “a tough game”.

“It’s do-or-die this week, we have no more chances and we’ve got to bring everything to the table because if we don’t, there’s no second shot,” she said. “I think Titans will be eager and hungry because it’s their first year in the competition so they’ll give us their all.” Brisbane and the Roosters will battle it out in the second semi-final from 1.45pm for a place in the decider. The Broncos and Roosters will square off for the seventh time in NRLW history after previously meeting twice on grand final day in 2018 and 2020.

She may be a Tigers junior but we have adopted her and will fight to keep her. And that's a really nice picture. Pretty natural complexion. I mean, I don't think she'd be wearing make-up during a game.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

NRLW 2022 semi-final: St George Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans, team lists, news​

Shaylee Bent hopes a return to Leichhart Oval will be a good-luck charm for the Dragons in their NRLW semi-final showdown.​

Shaylee Bent knows the magic of Leichhardt Oval better than most. The St George Illawarra second-rower now hopes it will be “a good-luck-charm” when her side meets the Gold Coast Titans in Sunday’s do-or-die NRLW semi-final double-header. “I’m a junior Tiger and I feel like I’ve had a lot of good luck playing at Leichhardt,” Bent said.

“In 2018 I played Tarsha Gale for the Tigers with my sister and our Dad coached us. I remember playing Newcastle at Leichhardt in a semi-final and it was really special for our family. “After the Tigers I went and played for Mounties in the first year of Harvey Norman, we played South Sydney at Leichhardt in the semi-finals and they were the favourites to win but we won against them at that field.

View attachment 24“And I love the history behind it, the field has been there for a very long time and there’s been a lot of players play there before us.” Up to 5000 supporters are expected to gather at the Lilyfield stadium on Sunday to watch the finals matches, starting with the Dragons v Titans from noon. The Dragons have been one of the most consistent sides in the NRLW this season but face a Titans outfit that are coming off two strong wins and Bent, former Dragons Player of the Year, said she is prepared for “a tough game”.

“And I love the history behind it, the field has been there for a very long time and there’s been a lot of players play there before us.” Up to 5000 supporters are expected to gather at the Lilyfield stadium on Sunday to watch the finals matches, starting with the Dragons v Titans from noon. The Dragons have been one of the most consistent sides in the NRLW this season but face a Titans outfit that are coming off two strong wins and Bent, former Dragons Player of the Year, said she is prepared for “a tough game”.

“It’s do-or-die this week, we have no more chances and we’ve got to bring everything to the table because if we don’t, there’s no second shot,” she said. “I think Titans will be eager and hungry because it’s their first year in the competition so they’ll give us their all.” Brisbane and the Roosters will battle it out in the second semi-final from 1.45pm for a place in the decider. The Broncos and Roosters will square off for the seventh time in NRLW history after previously meeting twice on grand final day in 2018 and 2020.

She may be a Tigers junior but we have adopted her and will fight to keep her. And that's a really nice picture. Pretty natural complexion. I mean, I don't think she'd be wearing make-up during a game.
very nice photo:love:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
That is a good photo! Would it be out of order to choose the top 5 prettiest? Not in any order:
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Taliah Fuimaono
  • Teagan Berry
  • Jaime Chapman
  • Talei Holmes
  • Emma Tonegato
I know that's 6 but it's a crime to leave Emma Tonegato off any "best of" list. That's only face. It wouldn't be fair at all to rate them otherwise because they need to have a certain kind of body to play certain positions.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That is a good photo! Would it be out of order to choose the top 5 prettiest? Not in any order:
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Taliah Fuimaono
  • Teagan Berry
  • Jaime Chapman
  • Talei Holmes
  • Emma Tonegato
I know that's 6 but it's a crime to leave Emma Tonegato off any "best of" list. That's only face. It wouldn't be fair at all to rate them otherwise because they need to have a certain kind of body to play certain positions.
  • Kezie Apps
31 now but is still far from shabby. She takes good care of her health.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Should be a comfortable win but far from assured. In the first half against Broncos, Teagan Berry who is really fast was causing the them all kinds of trouble running in behind the ruck. Need more of that. Otherwise just back off the very low % plays. In attack someone like #2 Berry or or #12 Bent or #3 Chapman needs to take some pressure off our figurative and literal #1.
Someone got your memo about Teagan Berry.

Eric

Staff
The way I see it is
  • Gold Coast look to be a "bigger" team. If our girls can hold them out in the first 15min of the second half, should come over the top of Gold Coast.
  • The lack of kicking on the last is bizarre.
  • Gold Coast are laying all over our girls. I think this is as a result of the first point. They need to slow our girls down. Ref should be cracking down on it and has a few times but should have much more.
Other than that, a pretty solid performance so far against serious opposition.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I expect they'll bring it home in the second half. Gold Coast have done a lot of defence. They should tire out in the second half.