Thats a Wrap

Another very good year on this forum. A few hiccups but all in all I honestly believe we have an excellent forum here. Everyone on the whole respectful and constructive conversations.

Special thanks to my sidekick Eric Eric and the valuable internal information provided by Mug Fan Mug Fan always was much appreciated.

Im off now will be having a medical procedure thankfully not life threatening although sent a scare and shiver up my spine until diagnosed.

So off on a well deserved NYE Asian cruise, followed by a Japanese cruise in May then to top it all off a Baltic Cruise this time next year to visit relatives in Italy and Poland I have never met.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy off season and the good lord keeps you and your families healthy. See you all in 2027 where I envisage all things being equal we will see a much more competitive Dragons 1sts team.

God Bless and ciao for now.
 

Eric

Staff
Another very good year on this forum. A few hiccups but all in all I honestly believe we have an excellent forum here. Everyone on the whole respectful and constructive conversations.

Special thanks to my sidekick Eric Eric and the valuable internal information provided by Mug Fan Mug Fan always was much appreciated.

Im off now will be having a medical procedure thankfully not life threatening although sent a scare and shiver up my spine until diagnosed.

So off on a well deserved NYE Asian cruise, followed by a Japanese cruise in May then to top it all off a Baltic Cruise this time next year to visit relatives in Italy and Poland I have never met.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy off season and the good lord keeps you and your families healthy. See you all in 2027 where I envisage all things being equal we will see a much more competitive Dragons 1sts team.

God Bless and ciao for now.
Go with God and be safe from evil.
 

Dragon David

SGI NSW Cup
Cheers jodragon40 jodragon40 and Eric Eric for your great management of this Forum. Hopefully all things being equal the both of you remain in good health especially you Joe with the non life threatening procedure and all the trips you have planned to take in 2027.
To all others it is great that you contributed in true colours by addressing all issues in mature and constructive ways.
Thanks to Mug Fan Mug Fan for his player and other info that he is privy with.
Looking forward to a super duper off season and preseason and great 2027 results right across all grades of the club.
Take care and stay healthy and safe guys.
DD
 

Justadragon

SGI NSW Cup
Another very good year on this forum. A few hiccups but all in all I honestly believe we have an excellent forum here. Everyone on the whole respectful and constructive conversations.

Special thanks to my sidekick Eric Eric and the valuable internal information provided by Mug Fan Mug Fan always was much appreciated.

Im off now will be having a medical procedure thankfully not life threatening although sent a scare and shiver up my spine until diagnosed.

So off on a well deserved NYE Asian cruise, followed by a Japanese cruise in May then to top it all off a Baltic Cruise this time next year to visit relatives in Italy and Poland I have never met.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy off season and the good lord keeps you and your families healthy. See you all in 2027 where I envisage all things being equal we will see a much more competitive Dragons 1sts team.

God Bless and ciao for now.
All the best to you Jo and Eric, and thanks to all the forum members especially the ones with all the good knowledge. Take care everyone and may we well and truly put this season to bed, with Dragons Fire next year.
 

Dragon David

SGI NSW Cup
All the best to you Jo and Eric, and thanks to all the forum members especially the ones with all the good knowledge. Take care everyone and may we well and truly put this season to bed, with Dragons Fire next year.
Cheers to all. I have just managed to get back onto the site. Some problem with local network. Wasn't able to get onto the forum with my computer and phones (mine, wife's and son's). My son has been able to get me back on the computer but our phones still cannot. So, if I cannot connect again (the message was "the page could not be loaded") then I will be buggered and I did try to send an email to Admin but no response from Eric or Joe so if I cannot get back in again, would like Eric Eric or jodragon40 jodragon40 to let me know how I can contact you guys to let you all know that I am OK at least.
 

Eric

Staff
Cheers to all. I have just managed to get back onto the site. Some problem with local network. Wasn't able to get onto the forum with my computer and phones (mine, wife's and son's). My son has been able to get me back on the computer but our phones still cannot. So, if I cannot connect again (the message was "the page could not be loaded") then I will be buggered and I did try to send an email to Admin but no response from Eric or Joe so if I cannot get back in again, would like Eric Eric or jodragon40 jodragon40 to let me know how I can contact you guys to let you all know that I am OK at least.
I never got a message. Or did you send an email? I hardly ever check. People usually just send PM's in the forum.

I don't know what it is. No one in your household could get on with their devices? That is so strange but I think it isn't a problem on our end. If it was just one device, I'd say you have to clear the cache. It sounds like it might be some kind of ISP provider firewall. How about if you go out of the house and use free Wifi somewhere? If it works fine with outside Wifi but not at home, better talk to your ISP about it. Sometimes they are overzealous with the firewalls.
 

Dragon David

SGI NSW Cup
I never got a message. Or did you send an email? I hardly ever check. People usually just send PM's in the forum.

I don't know what it is. No one in your household could get on with their devices? That is so strange but I think it isn't a problem on our end. If it was just one device, I'd say you have to clear the cache. It sounds like it might be some kind of ISP provider firewall. How about if you go out of the house and use free Wifi somewhere? If it works fine with outside Wifi but not at home, better talk to your ISP about it. Sometimes they are overzealous with the firewalls.
Thanks for addressing this anomaly Eric Eric. It is weird. One moment I was viewing and writing stuff on the Forum and then all of a sudden no access whatsoever. So frustrating. I will check to see if I can connect away from my home router using the mobile network. Yes I sent an email Eric but because there was no reply, I withdrew it. If for some reason the system crashes for me again, is there another way I can make contact with Admin?
 

Eric

Staff
Thanks for addressing this anomaly Eric Eric. It is weird. One moment I was viewing and writing stuff on the Forum and then all of a sudden no access whatsoever. So frustrating. I will check to see if I can connect away from my home router using the mobile network. Yes I sent an email Eric but because there was no reply, I withdrew it. If for some reason the system crashes for me again, is there another way I can make contact with Admin?
After the GF I'm going to start trying to do what I said about tipping. So I'll actually be using that email. In the meantime, if you can't send a PM in the forum, please send email again and I will definitely start checking it.
 

Chook99

SGI Junior League
Cheers to all. I have just managed to get back onto the site. Some problem with local network. Wasn't able to get onto the forum with my computer and phones (mine, wife's and son's). My son has been able to get me back on the computer but our phones still cannot. So, if I cannot connect again (the message was "the page could not be loaded") then I will be buggered and I did try to send an email to Admin but no response from Eric or Joe so if I cannot get back in again, would like @
Eric
Eric or @
jodragon40
jodragon40 to let me know how I can contact you guys to let you all know that I am OK at least.
I've had the same issue, unable to connect through wifi, but okay on mobile data. I'm away from home on another wifi, seems okay.

I also sent a message through the forum "contact us"

Problem possibly has been cleared.
 

Eric

Staff
I've had the same issue, unable to connect through wifi, but okay on mobile data. I'm away from home on another wifi, seems okay.

I also sent a message through the forum "contact us"

Problem possibly has been cleared.
I'm sorry I haven't been checking email. As I said, until now I've always been contacted via PMs in the forum.

But the way you explain it leaves little doubt, it's an issue with your ISP firewall, not the forum. The forum servers are based in Singapore. If you send PMs to each other and have the same ISP, that might be another indication it's the ISP.
 

Dragon David

SGI NSW Cup
Same here. Doesn't work on wifi anymore but works on mobile data.
Initially after losing access via the computer and phone, switched off wifi and used mobile network and it worked but computer still no access. Then lost ability to use the phone even with switching over to mobile network. So strange. So with you and Chook99 and Dave03 and myself looks like we have a common problem of some sort???
 

Eric

Staff
I asked AI. Here was the answer.

It sounds frustrating when a site works on mobile data but fails on home Wi-Fi. This usually happens because the two connection types take completely different paths to your server. The issue is rarely your website itself, but rather something along the Wi-Fi user's home network path.

Here are the most likely technical culprits and how to diagnose them.

### ๐Ÿ› ๏ธ Primary Suspects​


**1. MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) & Packet Fragmentation**​

This is a common and often overlooked cause. The Wi-Fi network's router or the ISP may use a smaller MTU size than your server or the mobile carrier. When a server sends a data packet that is too large for that specific Wi-Fi network to handle, the packet gets dropped. The browser tries again, fails, and the site appears broken (often just the CSS or images fail, or the page times out completely) .
* **The Fix:** You can't control the user's router, but you can ask affected users to lower their computer's MTU setting to around **1320** or **1400** as a test. If that fixes it, the issue is confirmed. Some users report needing to set their computer's MTU to 1320 to access specific sites on certain broadband connections .

**2. QUIC / HTTP/3 Protocol Restrictions**​

Modern browsers (especially Chrome and Edge) try to connect using a newer protocol called QUIC (which runs over UDP) before falling back to standard TCP. Many home routers and ISPs have poorly implemented firewalls that block or mishandle UDP traffic on port 443. Since mobile carriers usually handle this traffic correctly, the site works on mobile data but fails on Wi-Fi .

**The Fix:** You can test this by asking a user to type `chrome://flags` into Chrome, search for "QUIC," set it to **Disabled**, and restart the browser. If the site loads, the user's Wi-Fi network is blocking UDP .

**3. DNS Resolution Differences**​

Your mobile carrier and the user's home ISP use different DNS servers. Sometimes, a home ISP's DNS server fails to resolve your domain name correctly (or has cached a bad record), while the mobile carrier resolves it just fine. This can sometimes cause the ISP to show a "parking page" or an error instead of your site .
* **The Fix:** Ask the user to change their Wi-Fi DNS settings (on their device or router) to a public DNS like Google (`8.8.8.8`) or Cloudflare (`1.1.1.1`) as a test .

### ๐Ÿงช How to Troubleshoot This​


Since you can't access the user's home network, you need to gather information from them:

1. **Check the IP:** Ask the user to visit your site using its **IP address** directly (if you know it) instead of the domain name. If the site loads via IP but not the domain, it is 100% a **DNS issue** on their network .
2. **Check the Assets:** Ask if the *entire* site is broken or just the styling/images. If the text loads but it looks ugly (no CSS), it's likely an **MTU** issue .
3. **The "Hotspot Test":** If the user turns on their phone's mobile hotspot and connects their computer to it, and the site works, you have definitively proven the issue is isolated to their home router/ISP configuration .

### ๐Ÿ’ก What You Can Do

You cannot fix the user's router, but you can make your site more resilient:

* **Lower Your Server's MTU:** If you control the server, consider lowering its MTU to 1400 or 1320. This reduces the chance of sending packets that home routers will drop .
* **Disable HTTP/3 (QUIC) on Your Server:** If you serve your site over HTTP/3, consider disabling it temporarily. This forces browsers to use the more universally compatible TCP protocol, which is more likely to pass through restrictive home firewalls .

In short, this is almost certainly a network compatibility issue between your server's traffic and the user's specific home router configuration, not a flaw in your website code.

My guess would be #2, the part in red. Because it happened suddenly. If it was #1 or #3, I think it would have always been happening.
 

Eric

Staff
I asked AI. Here was the answer.

It sounds frustrating when a site works on mobile data but fails on home Wi-Fi. This usually happens because the two connection types take completely different paths to your server. The issue is rarely your website itself, but rather something along the Wi-Fi user's home network path.

Here are the most likely technical culprits and how to diagnose them.

### ๐Ÿ› ๏ธ Primary Suspects​


**1. MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) & Packet Fragmentation**​

This is a common and often overlooked cause. The Wi-Fi network's router or the ISP may use a smaller MTU size than your server or the mobile carrier. When a server sends a data packet that is too large for that specific Wi-Fi network to handle, the packet gets dropped. The browser tries again, fails, and the site appears broken (often just the CSS or images fail, or the page times out completely) .
* **The Fix:** You can't control the user's router, but you can ask affected users to lower their computer's MTU setting to around **1320** or **1400** as a test. If that fixes it, the issue is confirmed. Some users report needing to set their computer's MTU to 1320 to access specific sites on certain broadband connections .

**2. QUIC / HTTP/3 Protocol Restrictions**​

Modern browsers (especially Chrome and Edge) try to connect using a newer protocol called QUIC (which runs over UDP) before falling back to standard TCP. Many home routers and ISPs have poorly implemented firewalls that block or mishandle UDP traffic on port 443. Since mobile carriers usually handle this traffic correctly, the site works on mobile data but fails on Wi-Fi .

**The Fix:** You can test this by asking a user to type `chrome://flags` into Chrome, search for "QUIC," set it to **Disabled**, and restart the browser. If the site loads, the user's Wi-Fi network is blocking UDP .

**3. DNS Resolution Differences**​

Your mobile carrier and the user's home ISP use different DNS servers. Sometimes, a home ISP's DNS server fails to resolve your domain name correctly (or has cached a bad record), while the mobile carrier resolves it just fine. This can sometimes cause the ISP to show a "parking page" or an error instead of your site .
* **The Fix:** Ask the user to change their Wi-Fi DNS settings (on their device or router) to a public DNS like Google (`8.8.8.8`) or Cloudflare (`1.1.1.1`) as a test .

### ๐Ÿงช How to Troubleshoot This​


Since you can't access the user's home network, you need to gather information from them:

1. **Check the IP:** Ask the user to visit your site using its **IP address** directly (if you know it) instead of the domain name. If the site loads via IP but not the domain, it is 100% a **DNS issue** on their network .
2. **Check the Assets:** Ask if the *entire* site is broken or just the styling/images. If the text loads but it looks ugly (no CSS), it's likely an **MTU** issue .
3. **The "Hotspot Test":** If the user turns on their phone's mobile hotspot and connects their computer to it, and the site works, you have definitively proven the issue is isolated to their home router/ISP configuration .

### ๐Ÿ’ก What You Can Do

You cannot fix the user's router, but you can make your site more resilient:

* **Lower Your Server's MTU:** If you control the server, consider lowering its MTU to 1400 or 1320. This reduces the chance of sending packets that home routers will drop .
* **Disable HTTP/3 (QUIC) on Your Server:** If you serve your site over HTTP/3, consider disabling it temporarily. This forces browsers to use the more universally compatible TCP protocol, which is more likely to pass through restrictive home firewalls .

In short, this is almost certainly a network compatibility issue between your server's traffic and the user's specific home router configuration, not a flaw in your website code.

My guess would be #2, the part in red. Because it happened suddenly. If it was #1 or #3, I think it would have always been happening.
So the trying the following "fix" is pretty straightforward.

**The Fix:** You can test this by asking a user to type `chrome://flags` into Chrome, search for "QUIC," set it to **Disabled**, and restart the browser. If the site loads, the user's Wi-Fi network is blocking UDP .​

​

 
Top