Vale Johnny Raper

Eric

Staff
Stop the fight:
St George Dragons 1959
Back: Johnny Raper, Monty Porter, Norm Provan, Peter Provan, Brian Messiter, Geoff Weekes.
Middle: Billy Wilson, Harry Bath, Ken Kearney (c), Brian Clay, Eddie Lumsden.
Front: Bob Bugden, Brian Graham.

I wonder what happened to Gasnier for him not to be in that photo.

As someone said in another thread, the merger was the correct decision and a win-win which secures the St George Dragons future pretty much forever and provoides Illawarra with a future. Even if or when some Sydney teams are culled or forced to relocate, it won't be us. Having said that, sometimes it feels nice to refer to St George Dragons rather than St George Illawarra Dragons.
Good job. Now to find out why Gasnier wasn't in the photo.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Good job. Now to find out why Gasnier wasn't in the photo.
May be hard to find. It's probably something mundane like being passed out drunk or having a *'&$%#"# boss not allowing him time off work. Remember Gasnier would have only been 19 at that time.

Eric

Staff

Remembering a legend: Johnny Raper, the last of the original Immortals

RIP to a legend

In very upsetting news today, the last of the original four Immortals of rugby league, Johnny Raper, has passed away after a long battle with dementia.

Raper stands as an absolute colossus of the game and the go-to choice as the greatest lock to ever play rugby league, worldwide. While the likes of genius British lock Vince Karalius terrified Australian rugby league audiences in the 1950s, even this master of the position could not match the silky ball-handling skills and laser-like defence of the Australian Johnny Raper.

After showing remarkable promise for Newtown in the 1957 and 1958 seasons, Raper was spirited away to St George in 1959 – then already trying for their fourth straight premiership in that year.

Raper would go on to become a key figure in the next eight straight premierships won by St George as part of the incredible run of 11 straight premierships between 1956 – 1966 inclusive. Perhaps only fellow Immortal at centre, the late Reg Gasnier, and long-limbed Kangaroo second-rower, Norm Provan, could be regarded as the integral features of that indomitable side that Raper was.
St George Dragons legend Norm Provan
The fitness, motivation and skills of Raper will ensure that the Dragons premiership-winning record will last as long as the game itself. A consummate team player, Raper’s abilities transferred easily between St George, Sydney, New South Wales and Australia, all of whom become largely unbeatable in major games during the length of his career.

This was never more evident than at Swinton, England, in 1963, during the second Test between Great Britain and Australia, in which Raper’s high football art found a new canvas. “Chook” Raper contributed directly to nine of the twelve Australian tries as Great Britain was destroyed 50-12, in a match that titanically shifted the balance of international power between the northern hemisphere in favour of the south for the first time in decades.

Assured judge Frank Hyde regarded Raper’s performance in this Test match as the greatest 80 minutes produced by any footballer he had ever witnessed. No wonder Raper was an automatic inclusion – with Clive Churchill, Reg Gasnier and Bob Fulton – as one of the original four Immortals of Australian rugby league in the 1980s.

A loveable character in a very Aussie sense, who perpetuated the myth of the “Bowler Hat” to great merriment and acclaim, Raper will be sadly missed throughout the rugby league world.

A very great player, the likes of which may never be seen again.

This is the last I'll post on this question. It's almost time for the season to begin. Time to look to the future, not dwell on the past. Can do that next off season.

Eric

Staff

Johnny Raper: League Immortal set to be given a state funeral

St George Dragons legend Johnny Raper, who died earlier this week, will be farewelled with a state funeral after the family accepted an offer from the NSW premier to honour the rugby league Immortal.

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet personally contacted the family of Johnny Raper to offer them a state funeral in recognition of the St George legend’s immense services to rugby league.

Raper’s son Stuart told News Corp he was initially shocked when he received a call from premier Perrottet on Thursday night. That shock eventually gave way to immense pride as he and his family digested an honour that has been afforded to precious-few rugby league players.

“The premier rang me last night,” Stuart Raper told News Corp. “It was quite a shock. He offered us a state funeral. I went to all the family, we discussed it and we took up the offer. “It is a huge respect to dad and his standing in the game, not only as a player but as an individual and an ambassador.

“For me, just growing up and the way he met people and people looked at him, he was well respected. He was very well liked. “It is a huge honour.” Raper revealed he had spoken to Scott Fulton, whose father Bob Fulton was offered a state funeral last year. Like Raper, Fulton was one of the original Immortals. The state government initially declined to offer Fulton a state funeral but then-premier Gladys Berejiklian changed her mind after an overwhelming backlash from the public.

“I spoke to Scott Fulton last night about how it worked if it was going to happen,” Raper said. “He said it was such a great honour, Bozo (Fulton) was such a great player. Being one of those first original Immortals was such a big thing. “Dad knew so many people in so many circles of life.”

Premier Perrottet confirmed on Friday that the Raper family had accepted his offer, which was given in recognition of Raper’s “remarkable contribution to the sport of rugby league”. “On behalf of the people of NSW, I extend my condolences to Mr Raper’s wife Caryl and three sons Stuart, Kurt and Aaron Raper, his extended family and friends,” Premier Perrottet said.

“Johnny Raper was one of the original four ‘immortals’, alongside Clive Churchill, Bob Fulton and Reg Gasnier, and his rugby league career was outstanding. “He gave so much to the sport and to this state. We will all have an opportunity to honour his memory, his talent and his achievements at a State Funeral.

“He was respected, much-loved and gave so much to the game, inspiring many thousands of players who wanted to play like him. Aside from his on-field skills, Mr Raper was also considered one of the game’s greatest characters.” Raper, one of the greatest figures in rugby league history, passed away earlier this week after a long battle with dementia.
Dragons Johnny Raper in 2011
As well as being a key member of the Dragons’ premiership-winning sides in the 1950s and 60s, he also played 39 Tests for his country and captained the Kangaroos to a World Cup win.

His feats on the field were matched by his antics off it. Raper had a reputation as a lovable larrikin. He enjoyed a drink and a good time, but he never let it affect his performances as he became a pivotal figure in the Dragons side that won 11 successive premierships.

He was honoured for his achievements when he was named as one of the game’s four inaugural Immortals alongside Fulton, Clive Churchill and Reg Gasnier.

I know I said I wouldn't talk about this anymore, but then I realized he was our last immortal. We need a new generation to step up. Amone, Sullivan or Sloan need to be our next immortal.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Johnny Raper: League Immortal set to be given a state funeral

Dragons legend Johnny Raper, who died earlier this week, will be bid farewell with a state funeral after the family accepted an offer from the NSW premier to honour the rugby league Immortal.

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet personally contacted the family of Johnny Raper to offer them a state funeral in recognition of the St George legend’s immense services to rugby league.

Raper’s son Stuart told News Corp he was initially shocked when he received a call from premier Perrottet on Thursday night. That shock eventually gave way to immense pride as he and his family digested an honour that has been afforded to precious-few rugby league players.

“The premier rang me last night,” Stuart Raper told News Corp. “It was quite a shock. He offered us a state funeral. I went to all the family, we discussed it and we took up the offer. “It is a huge respect to dad and his standing in the game, not only as a player but as an individual and an ambassador.

“For me, just growing up and the way he met people and people looked at him, he was well respected. He was very well liked. “It is a huge honour.” Raper revealed he had spoken to Scott Fulton, whose father Bob Fulton was offered a state funeral last year. Like Raper, Fulton was one of the original Immortals. The state government initially declined to offer Fulton a state funeral but then-premier Gladys Berejiklian changed her mind after an overwhelming backlash from the public.

“I spoke to Scott Fulton last night about how it worked if it was going to happen,” Raper said. “He said it was such a great honour, Bozo (Fulton) was such a great player. Being one of those first original Immortals was such a big thing. “Dad knew so many people in so many circles of life.”

Premier Perrottet confirmed on Friday that the Raper family had accepted his offer, which was given in recognition of Raper’s “remarkable contribution to the sport of rugby league”. “On behalf of the people of NSW, I extend my condolences to Mr Raper’s wife Caryl and three sons Stuart, Kurt and Aaron Raper, his extended family and friends,” Premier Perrottet said.

“Johnny Raper was one of the original four ‘immortals’, alongside Clive Churchill, Bob Fulton and Reg Gasnier, and his rugby league career was outstanding. “He gave so much to the sport and to this state. We will all have an opportunity to honour his memory, his talent and his achievements at a State Funeral.

“He was respected, much-loved and gave so much to the game, inspiring many thousands of players who wanted to play like him. Aside from his on-field skills, Mr Raper was also considered one of the game’s greatest characters.” Raper, one of the greatest figures in rugby league history, passed away earlier this week after a long battle with dementia.
View attachment 8
As well as being a key member of the Dragons’ premiership-winning sides in the 1950s and 60s, he also played 39 Tests for his country and captained the Kangaroos to a World Cup win.

His feats on the field were matched by his antics off it. Raper had a reputation as a lovable larrikin. He enjoyed a drink and a good time, but he never let it affect his performances as he became a pivotal figure in the Dragons side that won 11 successive premierships.

He was honoured for his achievements when he was named as one of the game’s four inaugural Immortals alongside Fulton, Clive Churchill and Reg Gasnier.

I know I said I wouldn't talk about this anymore, but then I realized he was our last immortal. We need a new generation to step up. Amone, Sullivan or Sloan need to be our next immortal.
Appreciate it.

Eric

Staff

St George Dragons in mourning as grand final halfback Mark Shulman dies​

Former St George halfback Mark Shulman’s death came just days after the death of Dragons Immortal John Raper.

Standing 157cm, Shulman was famous for being among the smallest players in rugby league history and weighed just 60kg. His death on Saturday came just three days after the death of Dragons Immortal John Raper.

A qualified architect, Shulman suffered a brain aneurysm in Brisbane. Nicknamed “Bantam”, Shulman played in the drawn 1977 grand final against Parramatta, when he was injured in a tackle by Eels forward Ray Higgs. He was replaced by John Bailey in the grand final replay, won 22-0 by Saints, and played 58 first grade games for the Dragons.

A Ramsgate junior, Shulman was graded by St George in 1971 and learnt his trade under legendary halfback Billy Smith. He made his NSWRL debut in 1971 when replacing Smith, who had a broken arm.St George Premiership winners 1977

“He was the smallest player I ever played with,” Dragons chairman Craig Young said. “He was tough, particularly in those days. He had commitment and tenacity. “Mark was a very smart player, which he had to be because of his size, and he just kept persevering and he ended up winning a comp. “He learnt a lot off Billy Smith and was a great team bloke. We had some great times on and off the field.

“I was talking to (former Saints centre) Graham Quinn this morning and he was talking to Bantam just last week. There was no indication, Mark didn’t have any previous medical history. “‘Rocket’ (Rod Reddy) spoke to him three weeks ago and I was talking to him before Christmas, just touching base. “Mark wasn’t a big drinker and he looked after himself. It’s a shock.”

I had never heard of this guy so I thought I would add it here rather than make a new thread. A couple of years ago, the friendly guy who used to sit across from me, seemed in fine health, in his late 30s or early 40s suddenly didn't come into work one day. Dead from a brain aneurysm. Those things are scary! This guy made it to 70 so he was much luckier than my previous colleague.

Thanks to the contribution he made to our club and commiserations to his family.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

St George Dragons in mourning as grand final halfback Mark Shulman dies​

Former St George halfback Mark Shulman’s death came just days after the death of Dragons Immortal John Raper.

Standing 157cm, Shulman was famous for being among the smallest players in rugby league history and weighed just 60kg. His death on Saturday came just three days after the death of Dragons Immortal John Raper.

A qualified architect, Shulman suffered a brain aneurysm in Brisbane. Nicknamed “Bantam”, Shulman played in the drawn 1977 grand final against Parramatta, when he was injured in a tackle by Eels forward Ray Higgs. He was replaced by John Bailey in the grand final replay, won 22-0 by Saints, and played 58 first grade games for the Dragons.

A Ramsgate junior, Shulman was graded by St George in 1971 and learnt his trade under legendary halfback Billy Smith. He made his NSWRL debut in 1971 when replacing Smith, who had a broken arm.View attachment 9

“He was the smallest player I ever played with,” Dragons chairman Craig Young said. “He was tough, particularly in those days. He had commitment and tenacity. “Mark was a very smart player, which he had to be because of his size, and he just kept persevering and he ended up winning a comp. “He learnt a lot off Billy Smith and was a great team bloke. We had some great times on and off the field.

“I was talking to (former Saints centre) Graham Quinn this morning and he was talking to Bantam just last week. There was no indication, Mark didn’t have any previous medical history. “‘Rocket’ (Rod Reddy) spoke to him three weeks ago and I was talking to him before Christmas, just touching base. “Mark wasn’t a big drinker and he looked after himself. It’s a shock.”

I had never heard of this guy so I thought I would add it here rather than make a new thread. A couple of years ago, the friendly guy who used to sit across from me, seemed in fine health, in his late 30s or early 40s suddenly didn't come into work one day. Dead from a brain aneurysm. Those things are scary! This guy made it to 70 so he was much luckier than my previous colleague.

Thanks to the contribution he made to our club and commiserations to his family.
That's too bad. For Mark Shulman and your former co-worker.

Agree on commiserations to his family. St George has a very rich history and starting from now, St George Illawarra is going to show St George has a lot more than a glorious legacy. Far from a spent force!!

Eric

Staff

Forgotten chapter of the legend of St George Immortal Johnny Raper

Johnny Raper took his setbacks with a laugh and enjoyed more days in his life than most could realise. As we farewelled Chook this week, one of those tales resurfaced

The words were kind when Johnny Raper was farewelled this week, as they should have been. It might be fair to say nobody left the game with a bigger legacy than Raper, and few were liked like him. Everybody wanted to be his friend. They pressed to be in his company. He was as easily identifiable by his surname, Raper, as he was by his nickname, Chook. He belonged to another era, a less gentle era, and nobody filled it better than him. He was simply a guy who nobody wanted to be around more.

St George legend Johnny RaperSome weeks back a photo was texted through of Raper surrounded by young footballers. It hangs at Les Motto’s place and carbon dating has identified it to be from sometime around the 1978 period, when the Jets were rugby league’s rough and tumble crew, light on money but big on character, the kind that give the impression they were more interested in events happening off the field than anything happening on it.

It showed Chook with long hair combed down over his ears, wide collar and flared slacks, surrounded by smiling members of the Newtown Jets, their benefactor John Singleton and his wife, the lovely Maggie Eckhardt. Surrounding him are the likes of John Ribot, Barry Wood and Barry Jensen. The photo was taken to commemorate the day Raper signed to coach Newtown for the rest of the 1978 season.

Motto was the Newtown trainer. He was giving Chook a cheers and it failed to go unnoticed they were celebrating with a few beers, which was an early forecast for the days ahead. Raper got the job after the Jets got off to a poor start and coach Paul Broughton was sacked five games in and Raper was available.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Forgotten chapter of the legend of St George Immortal Johnny Raper

Johnny Raper took his setbacks with a laugh and enjoyed more days in his life than most could realise. As we farewelled legendary St George lock this week, one of those tales resurfaced

The words were kind when Johnny Raper was farewelled this week, as they should have been. It might be fair to say nobody left the game with a bigger legacy than Raper, and few were liked like him. Everybody wanted to be his friend. They pressed to be in his company. He was as easily identifiable by his surname, Raper, as he was by his nickname, Chook. He belonged to another era, a less gentle era, and nobody filled it better than him. He was simply a guy who nobody wanted to be around more.

View attachment 15Some weeks back a photo was texted through of Raper surrounded by young footballers. It hangs at Les Motto’s place and carbon dating has identified it to be from sometime around the 1978 period, when the Jets were rugby league’s rough and tumble crew, light on money but big on character, the kind that give the impression they were more interested in events happening off the field than anything happening on it.

It showed Chook with long hair combed down over his ears, wide collar and flared slacks, surrounded by smiling members of the Newtown Jets, their benefactor John Singleton and his wife, the lovely Maggie Eckhardt. Surrounding him are the likes of John Ribot, Barry Wood and Barry Jensen. The photo was taken to commemorate the day Raper signed to coach Newtown for the rest of the 1978 season.

Motto was the Newtown trainer. He was giving Chook a cheers and it failed to go unnoticed they were celebrating with a few beers, which was an early forecast for the days ahead. Raper got the job after the Jets got off to a poor start and coach Paul Broughton was sacked five games in and Raper was available.
Nice cartoon.

Eric

Staff

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRRA TO HONOUR NORM PROVAN

The "Norm Provan Stand" will be unveiled at Kogarah Oval on Friday night to commemorate the late Immortal. The Dragons will host a tribute to Provan, which includes the renaming of the grandstand. “It shows you the significance and impact Norm has had on this club is unbelievable,” centre Zac Lomax said. The club will also celebrate fellow Immortal Johnny Raper’s life on May 21. Any upgrade of Kogarah Oval to see further stands named in the honour of the club’s greats.