2023 Squad

Eric

Staff

Tonegato recommits to Dragons​

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced the retention of star fullback Emma Tonegato ahead of the 2022 Women's Premiership season.​

Tonegato enjoyed a breakout debut season in 2021, which saw her named joint Dally M medallist and spearhead the Dragons' campaign to a grand final appearance. The Wollongong native won the Rugby League World Cup with the Jillaroos in 2013, before switching to rugby sevens where she has since claimed Olympic gold, Commonwealth Games silver and two World Series titles.

Tonegato said she is looking forward to another season with Dragons and staying in her local area. "I'm super excited to be back at the Dragons," Tonegato said. "We didn’t reach our full potential last season, but I had a ball. We have a great group of girls and being coached by Jamie (Soward) was a great experience. "I wanted to stay at home and make sure I remained in the best environment to be at my best." Dragons NRLW coach Jamie Soward credits the team culture for retaining much of the 2021 grand final squad.

Dragons NRLW coach Jamie Soward credits the team culture for retaining much of the 2021 grand final squad. "Anytime you get a Dally M medallist wanting to come back it's a huge boost," Soward said. "We were very confident that Emma would re-sign. We just needed to give her some time to make that decision. "It's a reflection of the culture our players and staff have built to have players of this calibre wanting to stay at the club." The Dragons look forward to announcing the remainder of its 24-woman squad in the coming weeks.

St George Illawarra's NRLW Premiership squad (so far):​

• Elsie Albert
  • Kezie Apps
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Keeley Davis
  • Quincy Dodd
  • Taliah Fuimaono
  • Rachael Pearson
  • Emma Tonegato
  • Holli Wheeler

Correct me if I'm wrong, the season was too short to remember all the names but I think almost all the big guns (Tonegato, Albert, Fuimaono, Bent, Apps) have been resigned already. Chapman is missing but hopefully she'll sign on shortly.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

• Elsie Albert
  • Kezie Apps
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Keeley Davis
  • Quincy Dodd
  • Taliah Fuimaono
  • Rachael Pearson
  • Emma Tonegato
  • Holli Wheeler

Correct me if I'm wrong, the season was too short to remember all the names but I think almost all the big guns (Tonegato, Albert, Fuimaono, Bent, Apps) have been resigned already. Chapman is missing but hopefully she'll sign on shortly.
Teagan Berry needs to be a priority.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Tonegato recommits to Dragons​

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced the retention of star fullback Emma Tonegato ahead of the 2022 Women's Premiership season.​

Tonegato enjoyed a breakout debut season in 2021, which saw her named joint Dally M medallist and spearhead the Dragons' campaign to a grand final appearance. The Wollongong native won the Rugby League World Cup with the Jillaroos in 2013, before switching to rugby sevens where she has since claimed Olympic gold, Commonwealth Games silver and two World Series titles.

Tonegato said she is looking forward to another season with Dragons and staying in her local area. "I'm super excited to be back at the Dragons," Tonegato said. "We didn’t reach our full potential last season, but I had a ball. We have a great group of girls and being coached by Jamie (Soward) was a great experience. "I wanted to stay at home and make sure I remained in the best environment to be at my best." Dragons NRLW coach Jamie Soward credits the team culture for retaining much of the 2021 grand final squad.

Dragons NRLW coach Jamie Soward credits the team culture for retaining much of the 2021 grand final squad. "Anytime you get a Dally M medallist wanting to come back it's a huge boost," Soward said. "We were very confident that Emma would re-sign. We just needed to give her some time to make that decision. "It's a reflection of the culture our players and staff have built to have players of this calibre wanting to stay at the club." The Dragons look forward to announcing the remainder of its 24-woman squad in the coming weeks.

• Elsie Albert
  • Kezie Apps
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Keeley Davis
  • Quincy Dodd
  • Taliah Fuimaono
  • Rachael Pearson
  • Emma Tonegato
  • Holli Wheeler

I know Apps is captain and of course Tonegato is in the NSW team. I think Pearson is in the QLD team. How many of the others are in the Origin game?

Eric

Staff
I know Apps is captain and of course Tonegato is in the NSW team. I think Pearson is in the QLD team. How many of the others are in the Origin game?
These are the players in the NSW squad (the team has been brought down to 'only' 5 or 6 players in the 17) who have been re-signed. Elzie Albert isn't eligible because she's from Papua New Guinea.
  • Kezie Apps
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Keeley Davis
  • Quincy Dodd
  • Taliah Fuimaono
  • Rachael Pearson
  • Emma Tonegato
  • Holli Wheeler
These are the players in the squad not yet re-signed.
  • Teagan Berry
  • Jaime Chapman
  • Talei Holmes
  • Renee Targett
Some are going to be lost to other clubs. Keeping in mind the 4 new teams next year. If the club can keep one or two of those 4 it will be a victory.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
These are the players in the NSW squad (the team has been brought down to 'only' 5 or 6 players in the 17) who have been re-signed. Elzie Albert isn't eligible because she's from Papua New Guinea.
  • Kezie Apps
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Keeley Davis
  • Quincy Dodd
  • Taliah Fuimaono
  • Rachael Pearson
  • Emma Tonegato
  • Holli Wheeler
These are the players in the squad not yet re-signed.
  • Teagan Berry
  • Jaime Chapman
  • Talei Holmes
  • Renee Targett
Some are going to be lost to other clubs. Keeping in mind the 4 new teams next year. If the club can keep one or two of those 4 it will be a victory.
Shaylee Bent is going out with David Fifta. If it were me, there is no way I'd even entertain throwing more than 750K at him but that's probably what he'll be on when he signs his next contract. I wonder if she couldn't persuade him to come next year. GC would probably be happy to get rid of him if somewhere were paying 750.

Eric

Staff
Four more sign on:
  • Teagan Berry (NSW Rep)
  • Talei Holmes (NSW Rep)
  • Page McGregor (NZ Rep)
  • Tegan Dymock (Tonga Rep)
All four players played an important role in the Dragons' 2021 campaign and now enter the 2022 season as representative players despite all being under the age of 23.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Four more sign on:
  • Teagan Berry (NSW Rep)
  • Talei Holmes (NSW Rep)
  • Page McGregor (NZ Rep)
  • Tegan Dymock (Tonga Rep)
All four players played an important role in the Dragons' 2021 campaign and now enter the 2022 season as representative players despite all being under the age of 23.
I just wish the they were half as aggressive in signing talented players for the NRL team.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons announce five new additions to NRLW squad​

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced the recruitment of five talented players ahead of the 2022 NRL Telstra Women's Premiership season.

New South Wales Under 19s Sky Blues centre Andie Robinson and forward Monalisa Soliola, playmaker Zali Hopkins and former Eels prop and St George junior Fatafehi Hanisi will be joined by former NSW Origin and dual international Shontelle Stowers.

Promising Robinson recently scored a hattrick in NSW's victory over Queensland while Shontelle Stowers and Fatafehi Hanisi bring with them NRLW experience.

Emerging forward Soliola will add plenty of size to the pack while Hopkins will have the opportunity to be an understudy for the Dragons' halves Rachael Pearson and Taliah Fuimaono.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
As I said earlier, I wish the NRL team was half as aggressive as the NRLW team in recruiting and retaining key players.

St George Illawarra's 2022 NRLW Premiership squad (so far):​

• Elsie Albert
  • Kezie Apps
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Teagan Berry
  • Keeley Davis
  • Quincy Dodd
  • Tegan Dymock
  • Taliah Fuimaono
  • Fatafehi Hanisi
  • Talei Holmes
  • Zali Hopkins
  • Page McGregor
  • Rachael Pearson
  • Andie Robinson
  • Monalisa Soliola
  • Shontelle Stowers
  • Emma Tonegato
  • Holli Wheeler

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
As I said earlier, I wish the NRL team was half as aggressive as the NRLW team in recruiting and retaining key players.

St George Illawarra's 2022 NRLW Premiership squad (so far):​

• Elsie Albert
  • Kezie Apps
  • Shaylee Bent
  • Teagan Berry
  • Keeley Davis
  • Quincy Dodd
  • Tegan Dymock
  • Taliah Fuimaono
  • Fatafehi Hanisi
  • Talei Holmes
  • Zali Hopkins
  • Page McGregor
  • Rachael Pearson
  • Andie Robinson
  • Monalisa Soliola
  • Shontelle Stowers
  • Emma Tonegato
  • Holli Wheeler
Shaylee Bent is hot but overrated as a RL player.

Eric

Staff

Elsie Albert​

Born: May 20, 1996 (aged 26)
Birthplace:
Nipa, Papua New Guinea
Junior club:
University of Natural Resources and Environment
Current club: St Mary's (Harvey Norman NSWRL Women's Premiership)
Position:
Prop
Representative honours:
Papua New Guinea Orchids (2018-present); Papua New Guinea Pacific Games (2019); Papua New Guinea World Cup Nines (2019); first ever Papua New Guinean native to play NRLW.

Eric

Staff

Kezie Apps​

Born: February 4, 1991 (aged 31)
Birthplace:
Bega, New South Wales
Junior club:
Bega Roosters
Current club:
Wests Tigers (Harvey Norman NSWRL Women's Premiership)
Position:
Prop/Second row
Representative honours:
New South Wales State of Origin (2014-current); Australia Jillaroos (2014-current); Australia World Cup Nines (2019); Women's All Stars (2013-17); New South Wales Country (2018-19).

Eric

Staff

Shaylee BentSt George Illawarra Dragons Shaylee Bent

Born: September 13, 2000 (aged 21)
Birthplace: Penrith, New South Wales
Junior club: Glenmore Park Brumbies
Current club: Wynnum Manly Seagulls (BHP Premiership)
Position: Second row
Representative honours: New South Wales City (2019, 2022); Indigenous All Stars (2019-22); Australia World Cup Nines (2019), New South Wales Origin (2019, 2021-22).

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Shaylee BentView attachment 102

Born: September 13, 2000 (aged 21)
Birthplace: Penrith, New South Wales
Junior club: Glenmore Park Brumbies
Current club: Wynnum Manly Seagulls (BHP Premiership)
Position: Second row
Representative honours: New South Wales City (2019, 2022); Indigenous All Stars (2019-22); Australia World Cup Nines (2019), New South Wales Origin (2019, 2021-22).
The womens team was a real highlight this year. Are there any other highlights?

Eric

Staff
The womens team was a real highlight this year. Are there any other highlights?
Not that I can think of. Young players haven't kicked on. One could argue they have gone backward. Veterans proving they didn't have one or two more good years in them.

Suli has been good. Better than I expected. I guess that's a highlight.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Not had a lot of interest in the woman in the past. Now the comp is becoming stronger with the Dragons at the forefront I best start to take more notice.

Eric

Staff

Teagan Berry​

St George Illawarra's Teagan BerryBorn: May 20, 2002 (aged 20)
Birthplace:
Port Macquarie, New South Wales
Junior club:
Shellharbour Stingrays
Current club: Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks (Harvey Norman NSWRL Women's Premiership)
Position:
Wing
Representative honours:
Under-18s New South Wales Origin (2019); Under-19s New South Wales Origin (2021); Under-19s New South Wales Country Origin (2021); New South Wales Origin squad member (2022); 100-metre silver medallist – Australia all schools carnival (2019)

Eric

Staff

Keele Browne​

Born: August 16, 2002 (aged 19)
Birthplace:
Camden, New South Wales
Junior club:
Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs
Current club:
Wests Tigers (Harvey Norman NSWRL Women's Premiership)
Position:
Centre
Representative honours:
New South Wales Country Under-19s (2021), New South Wales Under-19s (2021)

Eric

Staff

Keeley Davis​

Born: July 5, 2000 (aged 21)
Birthplace:
Wollongong, New South Wales
Junior club:
Corrimal Cougars
Current club:
Mounties (Harvey Norman NSW Women's Premiership)
Position:
Hooker
Representative honours:
New South Wales Country (2018-19); Australia Prime Minister's XIII (2018); Australia Jillaroos (2018-present); Australia World Cup Nines (2019); New South Wales State of Origin (2021-present).

This season or in the second half of this season or whatever it is, I expect Keeley Davis to cement her position as a NRLW superstar.

Eric

Staff

Quincy Dodd​

Born: April 13, 2000 (aged 22)
Birthplace:
Kogarah, New South Wales
Junior club:
Cronulla-Caringbah
Current club:
Cronulla Sharks (Harvey Norman NSWRL Women's Premiership)
Previous NRLW clubs: Sydney Roosters (2018-20)
Position:
Hooker
Representative honours:
New South Wales State of Origin (2020-present); Prime Minister's XIII (2018-19); Indigenous All Stars (2019-22); New South Wales City (2018-19).