B Hunt

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Im a member on a few Dragons forums. It would appear that our poor cpt looks like he has copped the ire of the majority of supporters again this week mainly because of his kicking game and last play options. My personal opinion is, that it is a bit harsh.

Anyone who has played or coached RL would understand the following comments.

Playmakers rely on the engine room going forward and consistently making the advantage line, we certainly dont. This then allows our playmakers time to run our attacking structures or play eyes up football. It is also important in the last kick/play options especially where on the field you are at that time, usually we are in our own half.

Yes his kicking game has suffered but for a team running currently 13th, Hunt tops the try assist ladder with 13 way ahead of the next player on 9, that is an impressive stat. We don't have the necessary big bodied props like a AFB or a NAS.

If you compare stats of our prop rotation with the top props this confirms that:

F Molo avg 11.25 runs a game @ 95m a game.
B Lawrie avg 11.75 runs a game @ 98m a game. More recently
H Sele avg 9 runs a game @ 80m a game.
In comparison the benchmark props this season are:
AFB avg 19 runs @ 190m
J Tapine avg 17 runs @ 170m.

See the difference? We just don't rate. Our props are trying and give their best everytime they pull on a 1st grade jumper, any player that makes 1st grade has realised their dream and should be congratulated.

Forwards win games, the backs decide by how much. It has always been the way in my 50 plus years of playing and coaching. To simply blame one or two players is erroneous. RL is a team sport, there is no i in team. Just my views.

Eric

Staff
Im a member on a few Dragons forums. It would appear that our poor cpt looks like he has copped the ire of the majority of supporters again this week mainly because of his kicking game and last play options. My personal opinion is, that it is a bit harsh.

Anyone who has played or coached RL would understand the following comments.

Playmakers rely on the engine room going forward and consistently making the advantage line, we certainly dont. This then allows our playmakers time to run our attacking structures or play eyes up football. It is also important in the last kick/play options especially where on the field you are at that time, usually we are in our own half.

Yes his kicking game has suffered but for a team running currently 13th, Hunt tops the try assist ladder with 13 way ahead of the next player on 9, that is an impressive stat. We don't have the necessary big bodied props like a AFB or a NAS.

If you compare stats of our prop rotation with the top props this confirms that:

F Molo avg 11.25 runs a game @ 95m a game.
B Lawrie avg 11.75 runs a game @ 98m a game. More recently
H Sele avg 9 runs a game @ 80m a game.
In comparison the benchmark props this season are:
AFB avg 19 runs @ 190m
J Tapine avg 17 runs @ 170m.

See the difference? We just don't rate. Our props are trying and give their best everytime they pull on a 1st grade jumper, any player that makes 1st grade has realised their dream and should be congratulated.

Forwards win games, the backs decide by how much. It has always been the way in my 50 plus years of playing and coaching. To simply blame one or two players is erroneous. RL is a team sport, there is no i in team. Just my views.
I've long been a defender of Hunt. Bottom line is he isn't a good playmaker or game manager. The longer the team relies on him for that, the longer it will struggle. Just my views.

Flanno and Co should be looking at what juniors Penrith, Dolphins, Melbourne, Manly or another club with a halfback not going anywhere for a few years.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I've long been a defender of Hunt. Bottom line is he isn't a good playmaker or game manager. The longer the team relies on him for that, the longer it will struggle. Just my views.

Flanno and Co should be looking at what juniors Penrith, Dolphins, Melbourne, Manly or another club with a halfback not going anywhere for a few years.
Don't forget there are two halves in the team.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Yep but only one is allowed to do everything ......
Yes! Coach must have told him to play like that. Otherwise he'd be given an almighty baking and told to stop. At this point, may as well use Bird at 5/8. At least he can run hard.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Honestly my point is when you are playing behind a pack that doesn't allow you time like in any job you will be prone to making mistakes. The difference here is when you do make a mistake it's in front of a live ground audience and tens of thousands watching on TV. It's not an easy gig.

Eric

Staff
Honestly my point is when you are playing behind a pack that doesn't allow you time like in any job you will be prone to making mistakes. The difference here is when you do make a mistake it's in front of a live ground audience and tens of thousands watching on TV. It's not an easy gig.
True but Hunt is the one on the big money....... Actually scratch that, I think Frank Molo is also on pretty good money. I guess clubs needs a good prop and a good playmaking, game managing half.

DragonsTragic

SGI Jersey Flegg
And so begins the annual farce where our half-back and captain proves himself to be one of the top 2 or 3 dummy halves in the NRL, highlighting the fact that we pay him as a top 2 or 3 half-back, which he is not, sadly, but we pay him too much to play him at 9 and we don't have any better option at 7.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I hope this doesn't make anyone melt down but Ben Hunt is at it again. Talking about how he will walk if the Dragons offer isn't good enough for one more year after his current contract ends. I know there is a shortage of good halves but if Flanno isn't a complete moron, he will call Hunt's bluff. Make him play the final year of his contract so the club has this year and next to organise his replacement. It's not rocket science!

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I hope this doesn't make anyone melt down but Ben Hunt is at it again. Talking about how he will walk if the Dragons offer isn't good enough for one more year after his current contract ends. I know there is a shortage of good halves but if Flanno isn't a complete moron, he will call Hunt's bluff. Make him play the final year of his contract so the club has this year and next to organise his replacement. It's not rocket science!
Click bait headline again
This is the quote from Hunt

I am not closing the door on anything at all.

“At the moment, I’m happy at the Dragons and we’ll work through it.

“There’s no talks at the moment.

“I am trying to focus on a few other things at the Dragons and get our team going in the right direction.

“We’re in the Origin period now so that (Dragons contract talks) might be on the backburner, there’s no rush for anything down there.

“We’ll sort it out.”

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Click bait headline again
This is the quote from Hunt

I am not closing the door on anything at all.

“At the moment, I’m happy at the Dragons and we’ll work through it.

“There’s no talks at the moment.

“I am trying to focus on a few other things at the Dragons and get our team going in the right direction.

“We’re in the Origin period now so that (Dragons contract talks) might be on the backburner, there’s no rush for anything down there.

“We’ll sort it out.”
True enough.