Charity Shield 2024

DragonsTragic

SGI Jersey Flegg
Two more weeks and the purgatory that is the NRL off-season will be over with the kick off of the annual Charity Shield, the Dragons v Souths trial/grudge match.

While not expecting a win, I am expecting to see more commitment in defense and some obvious structure in attack (who knows, maybe even throwing it out to the backs on the 4th rather than another forward hit up).

Will be intriguing to see the Sloan/Lomax rotation in action, the new halves pairing and what happens at dummy half. Seems to be some talk in the media about Dylan Egan being a bolter for the starting team as well.

Is anyone heading to our spiritual home, Kogarah, for the game?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Two more weeks and the purgatory that is the NRL off-season will be over with the kick off of the annual Charity Shield, the Dragons v Souths trial/grudge match.

While not expecting a win, I am expecting to see more commitment in defense and some obvious structure in attack (who knows, maybe even throwing it out to the backs on the 4th rather than another forward hit up).

Will be intriguing to see the Sloan/Lomax rotation in action, the new halves pairing and what happens at dummy half. Seems to be some talk in the media about Dylan Egan being a bolter for the starting team as well.

Key questions:
  1. Who is the halves pairing going to be?
  2. Which young players are going to get their first taste of the big show?
  3. If not 5/8, where to for Zac? Surely not wing when Flanno has been talking all season about getting him more ball.
  4. Has Sloan learned to tackle?
  5. How are Tamale and Finau traveling? Now they are both in the top 30.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Nice they have brought the game back to Kogarah. I'll probably go. But if Kyle is 5/8 and isn't replaced at halftime, I'll probably walk out early.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I wouldn't be expecting to see too much in this game.
Souths flying to Vegas plus they have cancelled Flegg and Cup trials against us, that gives a good indication what players they will use.

Scrimmage v Manly.
Egan was the stand out nothing else positive to reveal.

Manly score first 4 and we scores last 3.
Our attack was average
Lids over from dummy-half Rava barge over from 10 out.
Sloan has not improved on last year
Lomax played left wing and about 10min at left centre.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
I wouldn't be expecting to see too much in this game.
Souths flying to Vegas plus they have cancelled Flegg and Cup trials against us, that gives a good indication what players they will use.

Scrimmage v Manly.
Egan was the stand out nothing else positive to reveal.

Manly score first 4 and we scores last 3.
Our attack was average
Lids over from dummy-half Rava barge over from 10 out.
Sloan has not improved on last year
Lomax played left wing and about 10min at left centre.

Jesus. I guess it's an eye opener for the players & coaches. I'm not too fussed on the attack since it's not been a focus during the pre-season (basing it on media tidbits). How was Sloan defensively & how was Lomax on the wing? Was Bird okay in the centres or way off the pace? cheers.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Jesus. I guess it's an eye opener for the players & coaches. I'm not too fussed on the attack since it's not been a focus during the pre-season (basing it on media tidbits). How was Sloan defensively & how was Lomax on the wing? Was Bird okay in the centres or way off the pace? cheers.
If Sloan is on his game, attack will probably be pretty good. Count on Lomax setting up lots of tries, Suli to barge over for more. Defence is most important.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
If Sloan is on his game, attack will probably be pretty good. Count on Lomax setting up lots of tries, Suli to barge over for more. Defence is most important.
Plus, whatever you think of Hunt, he'll score a few tries near the line in the middle. Sloan to score and set up a lot if he gets more involved. Zac to set up a lot and score a few.

Attack should be alright.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
This year's Charity Shield will be against a South Sydney side with very few if any of their top 17 due to Las Vegas. It will give the purists amongst us a guide to their depth but little else. We should win this game in a canter and in reality play those players rated 18 - 30 on our roster after the initially observing how our new combinations especially in the halves go. It is now in reality a nothing game that should gift us our 2nd Charity Shield in the last 10 seasons.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
This year's Charity Shield will be against a South Sydney side with very few if any of their top 17 due to Las Vegas. It will give the purists amongst us a guide to their depth but little else. We should win this game in a canter and in reality play those players rated 18 - 30 on our roster after the initially observing how our new combinations especially in the halves go. It is now in reality a nothing game that should gift us our 2nd Charity Shield in the last 10 seasons.
Need to do enough to win the game but give as many young players a chance as possible.
  • Coric
  • Shereb
  • Egan
  • Mulhisen
  • Tamale
  • Finau
  • Tuitavake
Need to see a lot of minutes. If they are available.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sloan was Sloan hasn't changed since he was a kid and doubt he will.
Fans talking about him bulked up doesn't change his attitude or commitment.
Zac wasted
Bird was ok but he will get stood up by any centre with pace or a step just as Buchanan has done.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Zac wasted
Bird was ok but he will get stood up by any centre with pace or a step just as Buchanan has done.
I trust what you are saying but that's a real shame as far as it goes with Sloan.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Zac wasted
Interesting. Does Bird take that sportsman like or get pissed with Buchanan?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Sloan can still be our fullback but we have to improve as a team to make him better.
Better defence so he is not put in one on one situation as often, better kick pressure so our back 3 have time to catch bombs. Team improvement makes better players.
Let us be quite honest here in regards to Sloan. This is not a criticism of Sloan but my personal observations. In my day a team was made up of 15 players, all individual, all with talent, all with strengths and weaknesses. It is the coaching staffs job to identify those strengths and weaknesses and try to balance both to ensure that player can be the best player he can be both individually and more importantly as a team member. In certain positions you can cover an individuals weaknesses, I don't believe fullback is one of those positions when it comes down to one on one defence when the line has been broken. Rightly or wrongly as a coach you rely on your last defender to get the job done more times than not. Your focus as a coach is to try and ensure that your defensive line and structures don't make this a regular occurrence and the fullback finds himself in this situation on a regular basis. Young Sloan is a talent, I love the way he glides over the park, he is still very much learning his trade in attack especially his positional play in attack. Defensively he lacks commitment and technique both can be taught but should have been far earlier than as a 1st grader. Confidence within a player is very important no matter where they play or what their roles are in a team, confidence is infectious and grows within a team and helps that team reach its goals and targets. The same can be said when the opposite occurs and to which we as supporters have witnessed over the last few seasons. Our ability to pressure the opposition kicker has been non existent allowing the opposition to place their kicks and bombs precisely where they want it to land, they are targeting Sloan to return those kicks and we have all witnessed the results. Its a weakness that opposition coaches have identified and will continue to use if allowed. If Sloan hasn't in the off season been able to improve his defensive frailties then sadly to say for me he shouldn't be wearing the No.1. Time will tell and just my views.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Let us be quite honest here in regards to Sloan. This is not a criticism of Sloan but my personal observations. In my day a team was made up of 15 players, all individual, all with talent, all with strengths and weaknesses. It is the coaching staffs job to identify those strengths and weaknesses and try to balance both to ensure that player can be the best player he can be both individually and more importantly as a team member. In certain positions you can cover an individuals weaknesses, I don't believe fullback is one of those positions when it comes down to one on one defence when the line has been broken. Rightly or wrongly as a coach you rely on your last defender to get the job done more times than not. Your focus as a coach is to try and ensure that your defensive line and structures don't make this a regular occurrence and the fullback finds himself in this situation on a regular basis. Young Sloan is a talent, I love the way he glides over the park, he is still very much learning his trade in attack especially his positional play in attack. Defensively he lacks commitment and technique both can be taught but should have been far earlier than as a 1st grader. Confidence within a player is very important no matter where they play or what their roles are in a team, confidence is infectious and grows within a team and helps that team reach its goals and targets. The same can be said when the opposite occurs and to which we as supporters have witnessed over the last few seasons. Our ability to pressure the opposition kicker has been non existent allowing the opposition to place their kicks and bombs precisely where they want it to land, they are targeting Sloan to return those kicks and we have all witnessed the results. Its a weakness that opposition coaches have identified and will continue to use if allowed. If Sloan hasn't in the off season been able to improve his defensive frailties then sadly to say for me he shouldn't be wearing the No.1. Time will tell and just my views.
Yep that's why Lomax has gone to the wing , so he can interchange with Sloan ......... So it looks like Flanno will give him every opportunity to try and make it ...... If it doesn't work out then Lomax will be fullback , so Bird was needed to play in the centre after Allan was injured ....... As I have said before we are not winning anything this year so I can sort of see where Flanno,s coming from on this ......

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Yep that's why Lomax has gone to the wing , so he can interchange with Sloan ......... So it looks like Flanno will give him every opportunity to try and make it ...... If it doesn't work out then Lomax will be fullback , so Bird was needed to play in the centers for this to happen after Allan was injured ....... As I have said before we are not winning anything this year so I can sort of see where Flanno,s coming from on this ......
I hope you are correct that we are not winning anything especially the dreaded wooden spoon. In regards to Bird, let us not forget where he has been playing in the last 3 seasons. I personally know how hard it is to teach players to play in the backline to forwards and visa versa, very few in my lifetime have been able to accomplish such a feat. I can't for the life of me see how Bird to centre will ever work, he is predictable in attack with his step and his defence well the highlights reel wont feature him in it. I hope I'm wrong, time will tell.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Yep that's why Lomax has gone to the wing , so he can interchange with Sloan ......... So it looks like Flanno will give him every opportunity to try and make it ...... If it doesn't work out then Lomax will be fullback , so Bird was needed to play in the centers for this to happen after Allan was injured ....... As I have said before we are not winning anything this year so I can sort of see where Flanno,s coming from on this ......
Personally I'd have either Feagai in the centres before Bird. That's not a criticism of Bird. Or not meant to be. I just don't think he's a centre. Should only fill in there in case of an injury.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I hope you are correct that we are not winning anything especially the dreaded wooden spoon. In regards to Bird, let us not forget where he has been playing in the last 3 seasons. I personally know how hard it is to teach players to play in the backline to forwards and visa versa, very few in my lifetime have been able to accomplish such a feat. I can't for the life of me see how Bird to centre will ever work, he is predictable in attack with his step and his defence well the highlights reel wont feature him in it. I hope I'm wrong, time will tell.
I'm with you on Bird maybe no option at this stage (well that's not right I forgot the twins)and I think it's all got to do with Sloan making it or not .....

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I'm with you on Bird maybe no option at this stage (well that's not right I forgot the twins)and I think it's all got to do with Sloan making it or not .....
Thats what I just mentioned CONFIDENCE. I never made 1sts as a player or coach and any player no matter who that pulls on a 1st grade jersey has made their childhood dream come true and should be congratulated. As a coach unless you are clear with your messaging to the team, consult your asst coaches and your teams senior playing group, make and set achievable goals and targets that everyone from the cpt to the water runner buy into then you erode that confidence. Players must be confident with the coach and more importantly with their fellow team mates. I understand what the new coach is trying to achieve he is tinkering in an effort to get the very best out of what he has to work with but and to me it's a very big but, can players like Bird, Sloan, Lomax to name 3 adjust to that tinkering and make it work on the field. We will see

Eric

Staff
That's all true but TBH, I think Sloan's biggest problem is that he just isn't tough enough. He's scared to run into the opposition defensive line and scared to put his body on the line competing for the ball and scared to tackle one on one. I hoped being bigger might fix that.