Charity Shield 2024

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That's all true but TBH, I think Sloan's biggest problem is that he just isn't tough enough. He's scared to run into the opposition defensive line and scared to put his body on the line competing for the ball and scared to tackle one on one. I hoped being bigger might fix that.
Let's see how he goes, he has definitely worked on his physique but that's only half the battle. He has to have that mental toughness. If an opposition kicking game and chase is spot on then it's easy to hem in the kick returners. Now if we have worked on our structure in putting pressure on the kicker and Sloan is targeted but only has to contend with 1 chaser then we might see a different story. Time will tell.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Let's see how he goes, he has definitely worked on his physique but that's only half the battle. He has to have that mental toughness. If an opposition kicking game and chase is spot on then it's easy to hem in the kick returners. Now if we have worked on our structure in putting pressure on the kicker and Sloan is targeted but only has to contend with 1 chaser then we might see a different story. Time will tell.
He should be having Suli, Lawrie and Rava running at him again and again until he isn't scared and brings them down much more often than not!

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Yep this ........ The days when I was playing this is how it was done and if it wasn't done you were done .........
My day warmed up on the bags. The assistant coaches had identified those players requiring extra tackling practice. Start slowly run at half pace from 5yds 1 on 1 , then 10 yds, then 3/4 pace, then flat out. Would run like for like players at each other. Then your forwards, trying of course to avoid any unnecessary injuries.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

DRAGONS

Following the departure of Jayden Sullivan and Junior Amone’s contract being terminated, the Dragons have lost key halves. Kyle Flanagan has arrived alongside his father and coach and looks set to get first crack in the No.6 jersey. However one fellow recruit is set to push for the five-eighth spot, having signed a one-year deal for the 2024 season. Jesse Marschke was rewarded for a huge NSW Cup campaign for the North Sydney Bears with an NRL contract, having featured in all 27 games in 2023. He was an instrumental figure in their finals run and scored in a grand final loss against the Rabbitohs. The 26-year-old is a playmaker by trade but could also feature as a utility, having played at hooker in the past. It looks likely Flanagan will put Ben Hunt on ice in pre-season to ensure he is fit and firing come Round 1, meaning Kyle Flanagan and Marschke could go head to head for the No.6 jersey in a tasty match-up for Dragons fans. Elsewhere young gun Sione Finau will be desperate to put forward his case for NRL selection, having endured a tough debut in 2023. The winger played just 26 minutes against the Warriors in Round 26 before suffering an ankle injury that forced him off the field. While he may find it tough to break into the Red V backline due to Jack Bird’s move to the centres, Finau is highly rated by Dragons bosses and could be one to watch for the future. Zac Lomax is another player sitting in an interesting spot this year and it looks likely he will shift out of the centres and feature on the wing. That is to allow him to freely switch with fullback Tyrell Sloan should Flanagan opt for the duo to swap positions. It remains to be seen how that combination will fare, but Dragons fans have been crying out for Lomax to return to the form that earnt him a call up to the NSW squad in 2020.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg

DRAGONS

Following the departure of Jayden Sullivan and Junior Amone’s contract being terminated, the Dragons have lost key halves. Kyle Flanagan has arrived alongside his father and coach and looks set to get first crack in the No.6 jersey. However one fellow recruit is set to push for the five-eighth spot, having signed a one-year deal for the 2024 season. Jesse Marschke was rewarded for a huge NSW Cup campaign for the North Sydney Bears with an NRL contract, having featured in all 27 games in 2023. He was an instrumental figure in their finals run and scored in a grand final loss against the Rabbitohs. The 26-year-old is a playmaker by trade but could also feature as a utility, having played at hooker in the past. It looks likely Flanagan will put Ben Hunt on ice in pre-season to ensure he is fit and firing come Round 1, meaning Kyle Flanagan and Marschke could go head to head for the No.6 jersey in a tasty match-up for Dragons fans. Elsewhere young gun Sione Finau will be desperate to put forward his case for NRL selection, having endured a tough debut in 2023. The winger played just 26 minutes against the Warriors in Round 26 before suffering an ankle injury that forced him off the field. While he may find it tough to break into the Red V backline due to Jack Bird’s move to the centres, Finau is highly rated by Dragons bosses and could be one to watch for the future. Zac Lomax is another player sitting in an interesting spot this year and it looks likely he will shift out of the centres and feature on the wing. That is to allow him to freely switch with fullback Tyrell Sloan should Flanagan opt for the duo to swap positions. It remains to be seen how that combination will fare, but Dragons fans have been crying out for Lomax to return to the form that earnt him a call up to the NSW squad in 2020.
5 to 6 games in only then will we know who will be playing where ........ ? I'm ok with this at least he is tying things .........

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I have a feeling if his statistics for the last 3 yrs don't lie and he hasn't improved under the tutelage of his Dad he won't be playing 1st grade after 5 or 6 games.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I have a feeling if his statistics for the last 3 yrs don't lie and he hasn't improved under the tutelage of his Dad he won't be playing 1st grade after 5 or 6 games.
I agree but maybe he will surprise us. Apparently he was an outstanding junior. I think he played for Australian Schoolboys.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Charity Shield Team Named:
1. Sloan
2. Lomax
3. Suli
4. Bird
5. Rav
6. Flanagan
7. Hunt (cpt)
8. Molo
9. Liddle
10. Lawrie
11. Eisenhuth
12. Su'a
13. JDB
14. Muhleisen
15. Fifita
16. BMM
17. Egan

Running with 2 hookers, prop rotation is worrying only 1 on the bench. My greatest concern Bird . God help us. There of course is an extended bench with another 10 players