Dolphins

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

“Missed the boat”: Genuine concerns emerge over Dolphins roster​

The Dolphins are yet to sign a marquee star.

Concerns over the Dolphins first season in the NRL continue to grow, with the club battling to make signings.

The NRL's newest team were admitted for 2023 ahead of the November 1 deadline, before signing Wayne Bennett as coach, but that is more or less where the good news stopped. They managed to sign Felise Kaufusi as their first signing, but have since only managed a handful of players with NRL experience, being Parramatta Eels forward Ray Stone and Brisbane Broncos outside back Jamayne Isaako.

They have also managed to add a pair of development players in Harrison Graham and Michael Roberts, who is the brother of James Roberts. However, it's who the Dolphins have missed in their two and a half months of negotiating which is a major concern, with the club rumoured to be chasing all of Brandon Smith, Reed Mahoney, Apisai Koroisau, Isaiah Papali'i, Junior Paulo and Viliame Kikau among others.

Bennett has struggled to land signatures, let alone key ones, and a recruitment manager has said that it will be "slim pickings" now for the club. “It’s going to be slim pickings,” the recruitment manager told the publication. “They may have missed the boat. I think they may have been caught a bit of guard because clubs pulled the trigger earlier than usual. Everyone knew they were in the market so that forced clubs to go in hard as soon as the deadline passed.”

This is interesting. Bennett obviously thought he could get players to go there on unders and by the time he realized that wasn't the case, it was too late. I don't think it's good for St George Illawarra. They won't be competing with the Dragons for juniors or corporate support. At least, less than every other club except Canberra and New Zealand. It would be better for St George if the Dolphins are strong.

It might also help for them to give themselves a proper name FFS.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Concerns over the Dolphins first season in the NRL continue to grow, with the club battling to make signings.

The NRL's newest team were admitted for 2023 ahead of the November 1 deadline, before signing Wayne Bennett as coach, but that is more or less where the good news stopped. They managed to sign Felise Kaufusi as their first signing, but have since only managed a handful of players with NRL experience, being Parramatta Eels forward Ray Stone and Brisbane Broncos outside back Jamayne Isaako.

They have also managed to add a pair of development players in Harrison Graham and Michael Roberts, who is the brother of James Roberts. However, it's who the Dolphins have missed in their two and a half months of negotiating which is a major concern, with the club rumoured to be chasing all of Brandon Smith, Reed Mahoney, Apisai Koroisau, Isaiah Papali'i, Junior Paulo and Viliame Kikau among others.

Bennett has struggled to land signatures, let alone key ones, and a recruitment manager has said that it will be "slim pickings" now for the club. “It’s going to be slim pickings,” the recruitment manager told the publication. “They may have missed the boat. I think they may have been caught a bit of guard because clubs pulled the trigger earlier than usual. Everyone knew they were in the market so that forced clubs to go in hard as soon as the deadline passed.”

This is interesting. Bennett obviously thought he could get players to go there on unders and by the time he realized that wasn't the case, it was too late. I don't think it's good for St George Illawarra. They won't be competing with the Dragons for juniors or corporate support. At least, less than every other club except Canberra and New Zealand. It would be better for St George if the Dolphins are strong.

Doesn't really matter if they are strong or weak. They'll still be weakening the Broncos, at least in theory. If Sullivan and Amone work out how we hope, it may be useful for Saints to shop Ben Hunt to them a year before the end of his contract. I'd say Hunt still has 3 years easy. And could play hooker for longer.

How much money would Saints have to spend if that happened? McCullough is also off contract. Getting rid of 4 of the highest players (Hunt, Norman, McInnes, McCullough) in 2 years! Would have to upgrade a few of the young players coming through but even still, a lot of money left for a big signing or 2.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

They've also managed to add a pair of development players in Harrison Graham and Michael Roberts, who is the brother of James Roberts. However, it's who the Dolphins have missed in their two and a half months of negotiating which is a major concern, with the club rumoured to be chasing all of Brandon Smith, Reed Mahoney, Apisai Koroisau, Isaiah Papali'i, Junior Paulo and Viliame Kikau among others.

Bennett has struggled to land signatures, let alone key ones, a recruitment manager has said that it will be "slim pickings" now for the club. “It’s going to be slim pickings,” the recruitment manager told the publication. “They may have missed the boat. I think they may have been caught a bit of guard because clubs pulled the trigger earlier than usual. Everyone knew they were in the market so that forced clubs to go in hard as soon as the deadline passed.”

A name would be nice but it won't happen anytime soon.
Doesn't really matter if they are strong or weak. They'll still be weakening the Broncos, at least in theory. If Sullivan and Amone work out how we hope, it may be useful for Saints to shop Ben Hunt to them a year before the end of his contract. I'd say Hunt still has 3 years easy. And could play hooker for longer.

How much money would Saints have to spend if that happened? McCullough is also off contract. Getting rid of 4 of the highest players (Hunt, Norman, McInnes, McCullough) in 2 years! Would have to upgrade a few of the young players coming through but even still, a lot of money left for a big signing or 2.
Won't be any big names available due to Dolphins out-bidding any other club. Best to outbid other clubs for some promising players yet to play NRL. Or ESL or rugby union.