Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Two players on fulltime contracts. Who will it be for St George? My opinion at the bottom.

Pay increases and expansion: NRL announces changes to NRLW​

The NRL has announced several big changes to the women’s game including NRLW expansion, increased pay, full time contracts, a two-game State of Origin series. In 2023, the NRLW competition will expand from six teams to eight and then again to 10 teams in 2024. The Broncos, Dragons, Roosters, Titans, Knights and Eels already have teams in the competition. The remaining clubs will have the ability to submit applications to join the 2023 or 2024 seasons with the Australian Rugby League Commission to make a call on the successful clubs in July.

From the 2022 season — which will be played later this year — teams will move to a salary cap system set at $350,000, while clubs will also be given the opportunity to employ two marquee players on full-time contracts with additional cap dispensation. This new salary cap system will see player salaries increase by 28%. Also this year, State of Origin payments will increase from $4,000 to $6,000, while All Stars payments will increase from $1,600 to $3,000. From next year, the Origin series will be expanded from one to two stand-alone games.

The ARLC has also confirmed its commitment to investing more in junior female participating and pathways programs — including age group national championships and coaching and referee academies. “Today is an exciting day for the women’s game,” NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said on Tuesday. “The expansion of the NRLW competition and the introduction of the salary cap will ensure players earn substantially more income from out game.

“There’s still a long way to go but this is another positive step in our growth journey for the NRLW. We’re expecting significant growth in television audiences and that’s down to the players, and the Commission will continue to invest and support that success. “Importantly, the announcements today are about ensuring a sustainable NRLW competition. We’ve always been very clear that we would ensure our playing talent is deep enough and our clubs are prepared before expanding. “The lead-in time ahead of the next expansion phase will ensure our clubs have the right infrastructure in place and there is even more depth to our playing talent.

“Today is not just about the elite game, it’s also about building stronger participating and pathways. “The Commission is focused on building the women’s game from the bottom up. Not just encouraging more participating as players but also more female coaches and female referees. “Right across the game we will continue to work on to create pathways for women regardless of whether they want to play, coach, referee or be an administrator.

“I want to thank our players. They were incredible patient while we ensured we could launch a 2021 season which gave everyone the opportunity to play and we’ve had really constructive conversations with the RLPA about the next steps in our growth strategy. “I also want to acknowledge our partners. Particularly Telstra along with Nine and Fox Sports who are incredible committed to growing, investing and promoting the women’s game.”

Full-time contracts for two St George Illawarra Dragons NRLW players:​

• Emma Tonegato is a no-brainer. She'll be on a full-time contract. If not with St George, for another club. Outstanding athlete, good defender and has good ball skills.
  • Rachael Pearson is probably next in line. I can't say I disagree but....
  • Taliah Fuimaono has ball skills like Pearson but is a better athlete.
  • Elsie Albert is obviously the leader of the pack. Makes the hard yards, excellent defender and plays long minutes.
  • Teagan Berry is a long shot. Being a winger, the spot is much more likely to go to a middle forward, half or 5/8 but she's only 19 and is so fast. Sowie really needs to make a game plan where she's more involved. Was causing the Broncos a lot of trouble running in behind the ruck but then stopped doing it in the second half.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Two players on fulltime contracts. Who will it be for St George? My opinion at the bottom.

The NRL has announced several big changes to the women’s game including NRLW expansion, increased pay, full time contracts, a two-game State of Origin series. In 2023, the NRLW competition will expand from six teams to eight and then again to 10 teams in 2024. The Broncos, Dragons, Roosters, Titans, Knights and Eels already have teams in the competition. The remaining clubs will have the ability to submit applications to join the 2023 or 2024 seasons with the Australian Rugby League Commission to make a call on the successful clubs in July.

From the 2022 season — which will be played later this year — teams will move to a salary cap system set at $350,000, while clubs will also be given the opportunity to employ two marquee players on full-time contracts with additional cap dispensation. This new salary cap system will see player salaries increase by 28%. Also this year, State of Origin payments will increase from $4,000 to $6,000, while All Stars payments will increase from $1,600 to $3,000. From next year, the Origin series will be expanded from one to two stand-alone games.

The ARLC has also confirmed its commitment to investing more in junior female participating and pathways programs — including age group national championships and coaching and referee academies. “Today is an exciting day for the women’s game,” NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said on Tuesday. “The expansion of the NRLW competition and the introduction of the salary cap will ensure players earn substantially more income from out game.

“There’s still a long way to go but this is another positive step in our growth journey for the NRLW. We’re expecting significant growth in television audiences and that’s down to the players, and the Commission will continue to invest and support that success. “Importantly, the announcements today are about ensuring a sustainable NRLW competition. We’ve always been very clear that we would ensure our playing talent is deep enough and our clubs are prepared before expanding. “The lead-in time ahead of the next expansion phase will ensure our clubs have the right infrastructure in place and there is even more depth to our playing talent.

“Today is not just about the elite game, it’s also about building stronger participating and pathways. “The Commission is focused on building the women’s game from the bottom up. Not just encouraging more participating as players but also more female coaches and female referees. “Right across the game we will continue to work on to create pathways for women regardless of whether they want to play, coach, referee or be an administrator.

“I want to thank our players. They were incredible patient while we ensured we could launch a 2021 season which gave everyone the opportunity to play and we’ve had really constructive conversations with the RLPA about the next steps in our growth strategy. “I also want to acknowledge our partners. Particularly Telstra along with Nine and Fox Sports who are incredible committed to growing, investing and promoting the women’s game.”

Full-time contracts for 2 St George Illawarra Dragons NRLW players:​

• Emma Tonegato is a no-brainer. She'll be on a full-time contract. If not with St George, for another club. Outstanding athlete, good defender and has good ball skills.
  • Elsie Albert is obviously the leader of the pack. Makes the hard yards, excellent defender and plays long minutes.
  • Teagan Berry is a long shot. Being a winger, the spot is much more likely to go to a middle forward, half or 5/8 but she's only 19 and is so fast. Sowie really needs to make a game plan where she's more involved. Was causing the Broncos a lot of trouble running in behind the ruck but then stopped doing it in the second half.
Pearson is 28. I'm not sure how long NRLW players typically play but I'd guess 28 is in the twilight of her career. Fuimaono is only 22 and Albert 25. It'll be between those two to get the last spot after Tonegato. I'm not sure but it may come down to more than just ability. Albert is a student. Could she be on a full-time contract and remain a student?

Shaylee Bent, 21 years-old, is another possibility but I'm tipping Fuimaono to join Tonegato on full-time contracts.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Full-time contracts for two St George Illawarra NRLW players:​

• Tegan Dymock is a very strong chance. A female De Belin (regarding her rugby league😖). Tackles well, runs hard, has a passing game. Only 19.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

28 isn't old for NRLW. St George have a couple of 31 year-olds who are far from washed up. But I'm also a Fuimaono fan. She doesn't have the game management skills of Pearson yet but just wait a year.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Update: Based on last game, the two players to get full-time contracts are definately Emma Tonegato and Taliah Fuimaono.