GENERAL KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Ok guys an easy one. Not for you GCRV GCRV.
  • Where would you find the Brooklyn bridge
  • What month/year did World War I end?
  • What sport did Fred Perry play?
  • Who is Ashton Kutcher married to?
  • What country was Only Fools and Horses set in.
  • What's the capital of Thailand?
  • How many makes up a baker's dozen?
  • Who wrote The Handmaid's Tale?
  • Complete the well-known phrase: 'A leopard never ____'

Eric

Staff
Good effort, mixed results.

1. Battles of Ryzhev (known in the West as the Battle for Moscow), Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Orel-Kursk, Siege of Leningrad, Battle of Baghdad (the Mongol version, not the American version in our lifetime)
2. Egypt, Mesopotamia, China, Indus Valley (shared between India and Pakistan today)
3. paper, gunpowder, steel, compass
4. the planet which more and more astronomers are saying isn't just a conspiracy theory which exists out past Pluto on an eccentric orbit which may effect Earth via it's gravity when the eccentric orbit brings it to its closest point to the sun.
5. There are at least a few, maybe several asteroids in the Kuiper belt even bigger than Pluto. So it was cross it off as a normal planet rather than dwarf planet or radically increase the number of planets in the solar system.
Have to disagree with No.3. The invention of alcohol is definitely the most important. And a lot of evidence beer was invented in China. The Persian modification is closer to what we call beer today but the difference between it and beer that existed in China 600 before it was known to be in Persia is the same as the difference between the beer we drink today and the beer invented by Persians.

Do you get my meaning? I'm not a skilled wordsmith. Like Chinese Beer = 10. 600 years later Persian beer = 5 and the beer we drink today = 0

Eric

Staff
Ok guys an easy one. Not for you GCRV GCRV.
  • Where would you find the Brooklyn bridge
  • What month/year did World War I end?
  • What sport did Fred Perry play?
  • Who is Ashton Kutcher married to?
  • What country was Only Fools and Horses set in.
  • What's the capital of Thailand?
  • How many makes up a baker's dozen?
  • Who wrote The Handmaid's Tale?
  • Complete the well-known phrase: 'A leopard never ____'
  • Brooklyn?
  • 1918, Janauary?
  • Golf?
  • Reece Witherspoon?
  • Pass
  • Bangkok
  • 10?
  • Too easy
  • changes it's spots.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
  • Brooklyn?
  • 1918, Janauary?
  • Golf?
  • Reece Witherspoon?
  • Pass
  • Bangkok
  • 10?
  • Too easy
  • changes it's spots.
  • Brooklyn?
  • 1918, Janauary? November 1918 though technically speaking, an armistice is more like a truce rather than end of the war. There is no specific date WW1 ended which is partly why they say WW2 was "unfinished business".
  • Golf? (Tennis)
  • Reece Witherspoon?
  • Pass (I've also never heard if it until now)
  • Bangkok
  • 10? (Bakers Dozen = 13)
  • Too easy
  • changes it's spots.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
No they were five precise events. The most obvious event was the assassination of the heir to the Austro/Hungarian empire. The remaining ones were conflicts. Small but significant for the time. One was the Italian invasion of Ethiopia. Have a guess on the remainder..
May have been one reason but main reason was the decision made at the Potsdam Conference between US, Britain, Soviets and China Kang Kai Chek.
You do know your planets and space.
Well the assassination of Austrian duke is blamed for the start of WW1, not WW2. That is obviously ridiculously simplistic. Much more accurate to say it was the catalyst. If that didn't happen, something else would have started it.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
You missed the most obvious, our own MOON.
Describe the four items below.
Alpha Centauri
Shooting star
Meteorite
Asteroid

Name the first space tourist.
Is our moon one of the 5 largest in the solar system? I think Jupiter alone has 5 larger.

1. Closest star to our sun
  2. Incorrect name for a meteorite
  3. An asteroid which enters the atmosphere of a planet.
  4. A rock moving through outer space.
  5. Some American guy who went to Mir for several mil US$

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Is our moon one of the 5 largest in the solar system? I think Jupiter alone has 5 larger.
Yep according to my source. ADDucation.

The 5 largest moons of our solar system are:
1. Ganymede (orbiting Jupiter)
2. Titanium (orbiting Saturn)
3. Callisto (orbiting Jupiter)
4. Io (orbiting Jupiter)
5. The Moon (orbiting planet Earth)

Eric

Staff
Learn something new everyday.
If you only learned one thing, you knew much more than me.
Yep according to my source. ADDucation.

The 5 largest moons of our solar system are:
1. Ganymede (orbiting Jupiter)
2. Titanium (orbiting Saturn)
3. Callisto (orbiting Jupiter)
4. Io (orbiting Jupiter)
5. The Moon (orbiting planet Earth)
I also thought Europa would be right up there. If not #1 largest, very close to it. Just on the strength of watching "A Space Odyssey" and ........ what was that other one where the Europans learn to clone humans so that humans who are kidnapped, copied (with a very powerful bomb inside them) and killed don't even know they are clones with bombs inside them?