Intro Saints94

Saints94

SGI Junior League
Massive Dragons supporter, I live and grew up in Hurstville.
It brings me great joy to follow a club that represents my area and it feels great to follow a club with such a rich history and powerful supporter base across the country.

Of late I have been concerned with the move gradual move away from the clubs traditional area of St George and its surrounding suburbs of Sydney.

How many of you are concerned about the HPC and all Dragons activities, admin and football related being moved to Wollongong?

I think the Dragons should keep a relationship with the Illawarra but should be based out of Kogarah. The Illawarra Steelers as a club have folded, St Geoege bailed them out and WIN corporation bought the Steelers out. Most Dragons fans are based out of St George and the surrounding areas in Sydney and Sydney is where all the sponsorship dollars are generated.

A move away from Kogarah and Sydney in general could be detrimental to the Dragons by driving away so much of its supporters. The South Coast covers are large physical area but the population is small and doesn't generate much money at all, again, the Illawarra Steelers club died and Illawarra as a club pushed to merge with St George to survive, they could never do it alone.

St George and the surrounding regions in Sydney is where most supprters are and is where you can generate more support moving into the future. It is also where the foundations of the powerful and very famous St George brand was developed.

Being based in Sydney is critical and I'm wondering if as many of us Dragons supporters can come together and try to make a push for the Dragons to move back to Sydney and base its HPC and all activities in the Southern Sydney/St George region due to its vital importance.

I think it's crucial if we can come together as fans to make the club understand the importance of being based in Sydney.

I'd love to know the thoughts of everyone here?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
It brings me great joy to follow a club that represents my area and it feels great to follow a club with such a rich history and powerful supporter base across the country.

Of late I have been concerned with the move gradual move away from the clubs traditional area of St George and its surrounding suburbs of Sydney.

How many of you are concerned about the HPC and all Dragons activities, admin and football related being moved to Wollongong?

I think the Dragons should keep a relationship with the Illawarra but should be based out of Kogarah. The Illawarra Steelers as a club have folded, St Geoege bailed them out and WIN corporation bought the Steelers out. Most Dragons fans are based out of St George and the surrounding areas in Sydney and Sydney is where all the sponsorship dollars are generated.

A move away from Kogarah and Sydney in general could be detrimental to the Dragons by driving away so much of its supporters. The South Coast covers are large physical area but the population is small and doesn't generate much money at all, again, the Illawarra Steelers club died and Illawarra as a club pushed to merge with St George to survive, they could never do it alone.

St George and the surrounding regions in Sydney is where most supprters are and is where you can generate more support moving into the future. It is also where the foundations of the powerful and very famous St George brand was developed.

Being based in Sydney is critical and I'm wondering if as many of us Dragons supporters can come together and try to make a push for the Dragons to move back to Sydney and base its HPC and all activities in the Southern Sydney/St George region due to its vital importance.

I think it's crucial if we can come together as fans to make the club understand the importance of being based in Sydney.

Excellent introduction! Welcome to the forum.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Welcome to the forum!

My idea is that unfortunately the club has to move with the times. The future is in Illawarra with several games and events held in Kogarah each year.

Saints94

SGI Junior League
Welcome to the forum!

My idea is that unfortunately the club has to move with the times. The future is in Illawarra with several games and events held in Kogarah each year.
Thank you very much.

I think the Illawarra region should be respected and utilised, no doubt, especially due to the talent produced but its hard for me to see how the clubs core shouldn't be based in St George.
The St George region provides access to most of the fans whose support ultimately are what made the club powerful and continues to do so.
The St George region and surrounding areas also has access to many more potential fans than the Illawarra region, which creates much more money and sponsorship dollars, enabling the club to prosper.

If you look at the history, the Illawarra Steelers was always a smaller team that only entered the comp in the 80s and whose leagues club has folded, it points to the fact that its too small of a region to be the major hub for a club who is a national sporting icon.

St George are a major club supported throughout Sydney and across all rugby league heartlands across the country. The Illawarra should be embraced but St George should not be taken for granted and put to the side or it could end up killing the club.