Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

‘Breath of fresh air’ set to fire Griffin’s under-siege Dragons back into NRL finals race​

Pressure is on Dragons head coach Anthony Griffin to propel his side into the finals race this season and a “breath of fresh air” in the coaching ranks could be the club’s secret weapon. Dragons powerbrokers sacked assistant coaches Peter Gentle and Mathew Head during a turbulent 2022 season in which the Red V finished in 10th place. St George Illawarra have missed out on the finals since 2018 and Griffin has failed to lead the team into the top eight in his two years in charge.

Former Tweed Heads Seagulls head coach Ben Woolf and Brad Arthur’s right-hand man in 2022, Ryan Carr, signed on assistants for 2023 — and veteran prop Aaron Woods believes the change is exactly what the squad needed. “Every coach brings a different idea, last year we had Peter Gentle and Mathew Head and they were outstanding,” Woods told foxsports.com.au. “They (the Dragons squad) had them for a couple of years prior, I came in just last year and got some really good ideas from them, but when you get new people in it is just a fresh face.

“It is a change, they bring their ideas, work with Hook (Griffin) and it is just a breath of fresh air. “The boys have been told one thing for a couple of years now and to get some different ideas from different coaches it does really help.” Gun centre Zac Lomax echoed his teammates’ opinion and explained the Dragons currently need “a lot of direction” to put their best out on the park.
Anyone got any thoughts on the new coaches? Peter Gentle must be the best bloke in the world because he has lasted as an assistant coach until now. Matt Head, maybe wasn't that bad but certainly not that good either.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

‘Breath of fresh air’ set to fire Griffin’s under-siege Dragons back into NRL finals race​

Pressure is on Dragons head coach Anthony Griffin to propel his side into the finals race this season and a “breath of fresh air” in the coaching ranks could be the club’s secret weapon. Dragons powerbrokers sacked assistant coaches Peter Gentle and Mathew Head during a turbulent 2022 season in which the Red V finished in 10th place. St George Illawarra have missed out on the finals since 2018 and Griffin has failed to lead the team into the top eight in his two years in charge.

Former Tweed Heads Seagulls head coach Ben Woolf and Brad Arthur’s right-hand man in 2022, Ryan Carr, signed on assistants for 2023 — and veteran prop Aaron Woods believes the change is exactly what the squad needed. “Every coach brings a different idea, last year we had Peter Gentle and Mathew Head and they were outstanding,” Woods told foxsports.com.au. “They (the Dragons squad) had them for a couple of years prior, I came in just last year and got some really good ideas from them, but when you get new people in it is just a fresh face.

“It is a change, they bring their ideas, work with Hook (Griffin) and it is just a breath of fresh air. “The boys have been told one thing for a couple of years now and to get some different ideas from different coaches it does really help.” Gun centre Zac Lomax echoed his teammates’ opinion and explained the Dragons currently need “a lot of direction” to put their best out on the park.
Anyone got any thoughts on the new coaches? Peter Gentle must be the best bloke in the world because he has lasted as an assistant coach until now. Matt Head, maybe wasn't that bad but certainly not that good either.
With this lot
  • Liddle (only ever average at best and past his best)
  • Musgrove (as above)
  • Murdoch-Masila (as above but his age suggests well past his best)
  • Woods (Was good for a number of years, never great. Well past being good)
  • Lui-Toso (Who? A 26 year-old QLD Cup player? I wonder if he'll get a game in first grade)
  • Burns (haven't seen anything to suggest he'll ever be more than mediocre at best)
  • Fuimaono (average at best)
  • Kerr (coaches have seen how big and mobile he is and can't comprehend how he can be so easily taken down by defenders)
  • M. Molo (Not proven one way or the other but he won't be playing Origin anytime soon. Or anytime ever)
  • J. Hunt (as above)
it's a poisoned chalice.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
With this lot
  • Liddle (only ever average at best and past his best)
  • Musgrove (as above)
  • Murdoch-Masila (as above but his age suggests well past his best)
  • Woods (Was good for a number of years, never great. Well past being good)
  • Lui-Toso (Who? A 26 year-old QLD Cup player? I wonder if he'll get a game in first grade)
  • Burns (haven't seen anything to suggest he'll ever be more than mediocre at best)
  • Fuimaono (average at best)
  • Kerr (coaches have seen how big and mobile he is and can't comprehend how he can be so easily taken down by defenders)
  • M. Molo (Not proven one way or the other but he won't be playing Origin anytime soon. Or anytime ever)
  • J. Hunt (as above)
it's a poisoned chalice.
Good summary.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

‘Breath of fresh air’ set to fire Griffin’s under-siege Dragons back into NRL finals race

Ben Wolff is the defensive coach and Ryan Carr the attack coach. I guess it's a good thing but with THAT forward pack, they will have to use all their power to ensure the wooden spoon isn't added to the trophy cabinet.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Wolff had a good reputation up this way but honestly it was with Tweed Heads Seagulls who made the semis in 20 and 21 and Carr is from HKR in England. One of the issues here is the distinct lack of local knowledge, talent and frameworks, lack of insight into the clubs culture. The question is will they be a breath of fresh air or fish out of water. Time will tell

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Wolff had a good reputation up this way but honestly it was with Tweed Heads Seagulls who made the semis in 20 and 21 and Carr is from HKR in England. One of the issues here is the distinct lack of local knowledge, talent and frameworks, lack of insight into the clubs culture. The question is will they be a breath of fresh air or fish out of water. Time will tell
I hope they don't need so much local knowledge. I hope the head coach and the pathways staff have that under control.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Something about this on Zero Tackle as well. Looks like they are trying really hard to write something interesting in the off season.

New Red V signatures take weight off Hook’s shoulders​

Aaron Woods says they’ve been a ‘breath of fresh air’ around the squad​

While he's as under pressure as any coach in the NRL right now, Anthony Griffin has appointed new right-hand men to transform the Dragons as the club aims for a return to finals footy in 2023. Despite having a roster full of young talent as well as stars like Ben Hunt, who nearly claimed the 2022 Dally M Medal, Griffin has steered the Red V to 11th and 10th on the ladder in his first two seasons at the helm, slowly turning up the pressure on himself.

It's been a comedy of errors for the club during his tenure, the infamous 'BBQgate' resulting in seven-straight losses for the club while both George Burgess and Jack Gosiewski took parting shots at the head coach after departing the joint venture.

However, it's his right-hand men that have the place looking like they're on the rise, both fresh on the job after club powerbrokers sacked last season's assistant coaches in Peter Gentle and Mathew Head.

They've been replaced by Ben Woolf and Ryan Carr, the latter assistant-coaching Parramatta in the Grand Final. Veteran prop Aaron Woods has already felt the effects that the incoming assistants have had on the squad. “Every coach brings a different idea, last year we had Peter Gentle and Mathew Head and they were outstanding,” Woods told Fox Sports.

“They had them for a couple of years prior, I came in just last year and got some really good ideas from them, but when you get new people in it is just a fresh face. “It is a change, they bring their ideas, work with Hook and it is just a breath of fresh air. “The boys have been told one thing for a couple of years now and to get some different ideas from different coaches it does really help.”

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Something about this on Zero Tackle as well. Looks like they are trying really hard to write something interesting in the off season.

New Red V signatures take weight off Hook’s shoulders​

Aaron Woods says they’ve been a ‘breath of fresh air’ around the squad​

While he's as under pressure as any coach in the NRL right now, Anthony Griffin has appointed new right-hand men to transform the Dragons as the club aims for a return to finals footy in 2023. Despite having a roster full of young talent as well as stars like Ben Hunt, who nearly claimed the 2022 Dally M Medal, Griffin has steered the Red V to 11th and 10th on the ladder in his first two seasons at the helm, slowly turning up the pressure on himself.

It's been a comedy of errors for the club during his tenure, the infamous 'BBQgate' resulting in seven-straight losses for the club while both George Burgess and Jack Gosiewski took parting shots at the head coach after departing the joint venture.

However, it's his right-hand men that have the place looking like they're on the rise, both fresh on the job after club powerbrokers sacked last season's assistant coaches in Peter Gentle and Mathew Head.

They've been replaced by Ben Woolf and Ryan Carr, the latter assistant-coaching Parramatta in the Grand Final. Veteran prop Aaron Woods has already felt the effects that the incoming assistants have had on the squad. “Every coach brings a different idea, last year we had Peter Gentle and Mathew Head and they were outstanding,” Woods told Fox Sports.

“They had them for a couple of years prior, I came in just last year and got some really good ideas from them, but when you get new people in it is just a fresh face. “It is a change, they bring their ideas, work with Hook and it is just a breath of fresh air. “The boys have been told one thing for a couple of years now and to get some different ideas from different coaches it does really help.”
So according to Woods the 2 sacked coaches were outstanding yet shown the door?? It really doesn't matter, a coach is like a jockey if the quality of the cattle your riding or training isn't up to the class its racing or playing in you just won't be successful. It's just plain logic.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
So according to Woods the 2 sacked coaches were outstanding yet shown the door?? It really doesn't matter, a coach is like a jockey if the quality of the cattle your riding or training isn't up to the class its racing or playing in you just won't be successful. It's just plain logic.
Of course it's contradictory but I guess he's just trying to be diplomatic.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
And Woods should be the first shown the door. The coach could have not picked him in the last few rounds last year and then Woods contract extension wouldn't have kicked in. And it boggles the mind why he was signed in the first place. He's about 5 years past his best!

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
And Woods should be the first shown the door. The coach could have not picked him in the last few rounds last year and then Woods contract extension wouldn't have kicked in. And it boggles the mind why he was signed in the first place. He's about 5 years past his best!
Even though what you say is true, I'm glad the coach picked him if he thought he was in the best 17 available at the time. To not pick him for reasons of his contract rather than form or ability strikes me as a really scummy, nasty thing to do.

That's what Melbourne or Roosters would do.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Even though what you say is true, I'm glad the coach picked him if he thought he was in the best 17 available at the time. To not pick him for reasons of his contract rather than form or ability strikes me as a really scummy, nasty thing to do.

That's what Melbourne or Roosters would do.
Melbourne or Rorters would have never signed Woods at this stage of his career. I know Melbourne signed Sims for 1 year but Sims is a great athlete who was selected for game 1 of Origin last year and excelled in all 3 games the previous year. Forget Origin, Woods has been in and out of first grade for longer than the last two years.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Melbourne or Rorters would have never signed Woods at this stage of his career. I know Melbourne signed Sims for 1 year but Sims is a great athlete who was selected for game 1 of Origin last year and excelled in all 3 games the previous year. Forget Origin, Woods has been in and out of first grade for longer than the last two years.
I agree he should have never been signed. I think not picking in first grade would have also been justified. Brian Smith famously wouldn't pick a player when at Newcastle so his contract extension wouldn't kick in. Newcastle also abruptly pulled out of signing Christian Welch, the Melbourne prop when he did his ACL. I don't know for sure but I think this kind of thing negatively affects recruitment and retention.

DragonRider

SGI Junior League
The Dragons have been under a lot of pressure to reach the NRL finals this season, and having two new assistant coaches could be the breath of fresh air they so desperately need. Aaron Woods and Zach Lomax agree that the new coaches will bring fresh ideas and a different perspective to the team. Me and my website This could be the spark the Dragons need to get back into the final race. With the right direction and guidance from the new coaches, the Dragons can quickly return to the top eight.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The Dragons have been under a lot of pressure to reach the NRL finals this season, and having two new assistant coaches could be the breath of fresh air they so desperately need. Aaron Woods and Zach Lomax agree that the new coaches will bring fresh ideas and a different perspective to the team. Me and my website This could be the spark the Dragons need to get back into the final race. With the right direction and guidance from the new coaches, the Dragons can quickly return to the top eight.
Will be a breath of fresh air IMO but can only do so much with the substandard roster Griffin has built.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Normally based on my experience this would be true but as I said in another post you still have to have the talent to take advantage of this and unfortunately we really don't.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Normally based on my experience this would be true but as I said in another post you still have to have the talent to take advantage of this and unfortunately we really don't.
I'm not sure about Matt Head but Peter Gentle seems to have made it remarkably far considering his record of failure.