jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Seems too slow to be an edge forward and not good enough defender, maybe too soft, to be a middle forward to me. But what would I know? Where are you at present? On vacation again?
You can get away with lack of speed because he will be a 2nd 5/8, linking and being creative. If you put the oppositions defensive line in doubt that slows their speed off the line and creates chances and means that their line is no longer coming up in 1 line it would be staggered

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
You can get away with lack of speed because he will be a 2nd 5/8, linking and being creative. If you put the oppositions defensive line in doubt that slows their speed off the line and creates chances and means that their line is no longer coming up in 1 line it would be staggered
Makes sense but I'd prefer a hard-running, tackle breaking second rower and one ball playing 5/8.

Eric

Staff
It's painful to say but I'm glad the Rorters are going to beat the Tigers. We won't be "winning" the spoon. Can go out next week and have a bit of fun. Pick a few young players. Both Couchmans for example and maybe Tamale? How has Shereb been going in the lower grades? He was on a development contract.

Eric

Staff
Bullgrubs seem to be imploding.
  • Braidon Burns has apparently walked out on the club. Not a big deal in and of itself because he was unsigned for next year anyway but shows the toxic culture.
  • 8 more top 30 players want out.
  • Another unnamed player has taken time off for personal reasons.
  • A lot of Grubs fans are saying Cameron Ciraldo has lost the dressing room. According to jodragon40 jodragon40, when the dressing room has been lost, it can't be found.
  • He (the coach) is on a big money contract for a cool 5 years!
I really think the Dragons dodged a bullet with Ryles turning us down. How often do the best, most highly regarded assistant coaches turn out to be dud head coaches?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  • Braidon Burns has apparently walked out on the club. Not a big deal in and of itself because he was unsigned for next year anyway but shows the toxic culture.
  • A lot of Grubs fans are saying Cameron Ciraldo has lost the dressing room. According to jodragon40 jodragon40, when the dressing room has been lost, it can't be found.
I really think the Dragons dodged a bullet with Ryles turning us down. How often do the best, most highly regarded assistant coaches turn out to be dud head coaches?
Couldn't happen to a nicer club (sarcasm).

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Lot of drama at Souths too. Nice to see bad news at not only rivals but some of our most bitter rivals. Probably our most bitter. Sharks are just an annoyance. Right now in their "golden age" they get crowds about the same as us and I bet less sponsorship money.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The issue with Ciraldo and the Bulldogs in my view is that when a new coach starts at any club his ability to instigate the necessary changes in the playing group, his assistant coaches, his chosen attacking and defensive structures cannot be hindered or overseen by anyone else. So it's his blob of clay to mould. In this case I'm guessing that has not happened because of outside influences, in Gould. When you start sending mixed messages and you lose the confidence of a group of players you get the results that we had, a divided group and it is my personal experience if those outside influences are not made silent you lose your dressing room and that's all he wrote.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
The issue with Ciraldo and the Bulldogs in my view is that when a new coach starts at any club his ability to instigate the necessary changes in the playing group, his assistant coaches, his chosen attacking and defensive structures cannot be hindered or overseen by anyone else. So it's his blob of clay to mould. In this case I'm guessing that has not happened because of outside influences, in Gould. When you start sending mixed messages and you lose the confidence of a group of players you get the results that we had, a divided group and it is my personal experience if those outside influences are not made silent you lose your dressing room and that's all he wrote.
Good analysis!

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
If it's bad for the grubs, I support it.

Eric

Staff
More from the imploding Bullgrubs.
  • The unnamed player they are talking about was less than 10min late. If this was a one off, sounds like the coach could have let it slide with a verbal warning. If it wasn't the first time within a short period, maybe punishment was due but sounds like all the players at the club believe the punishment was uncalled for.

• That punishment was getting down on a his knees on a wrestling mat and wrestling every member of the 30-man squad who wasn't injured.

• Several players didn't want to participate. Coach insisted they do.

• This happened 7 weeks ago. Player returned to training the next day, took time off for "mental health" reasons later in week and hasn't been back since but is continuing to be paid. That sounds to me the club knows it screwed up. Or knows the coach screwed up.

• Playing squad is very unhappy about the coach publicly questioning their work ethic or "not being hardworking enough". They claim that isn't an issue at all and the coach knows it. The issue is the "toxic culture" at the club. I think that means, they can't stand the head coach.
I'm not an expert but it very much sounds to me the club has to sack several players or the coach. Dragons could use Kikau, JAC, Mahony, Burton. And sacking the coach who is on big money for 4 more years will be an unbelievably expensive exercise.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
More from the imploding Bullgrubs.
  • The unnamed player they are talking about was less than 10min late. If this was a one off, sounds like the coach could have let it slide with a verbal warning. If it wasn't the first time within a short period, maybe punishment was due but sounds like all the players at the club believe the punishment was uncalled for.

• That punishment was getting down on a his knees on a wrestling mat and wrestling every member of the 30-man squad who wasn't injured.

• Several players didn't want to participate. Coach insisted they do.

• This happened 7 weeks ago. Player returned to training the next day, took time off for "mental health" reasons later in week and hasn't been back since but is continuing to be paid. That sounds to me the club knows it screwed up. Or knows the coach screwed up.

• Playing squad is very unhappy about the coach publicly questioning their work ethic or "not being hardworking enough". They claim that isn't an issue at all and the coach knows it. The issue is the "toxic culture" at the club. I think that means, they can't stand the head coach.
I'm not an expert but it very much sounds to me the club has to sack several players or the coach. Dragons could use Kikau, JAC, Mahony, Burton. And sacking the coach who is on big money for 4 more years will be an unbelievably expensive exercise.
Kikau's form has gone off a cliff. Burton is a much better centre than 5/8. I don't see any reason why a centre can't take over a lot of the long kicking.

Eric

Staff
The saga continues:
  • Privately other NRL coaching staff are stunned by the punishment.
  • Training was scheduled to start at 8:30, strapping at 8:00. Player turned up at 8:10 thinking he was 20min early as he didn't need any strapping.
  • Willie Mason who is on the coaching staff called the players unhappy about the situation, "fuking soft as shit". In any professionally run club, he'd be sacked before the day was out but at the Bullgrubs, no acknowledgement other than perhaps tacit agreement.
  • And as mentioned yesterday, a lot of players are very unhappy about the coach questioning their work ethic. They don't have any problem working hard but take issue with Ciraldo's methods.
I wonder if jodragon40 jodragon40 has any input on whether Ciraldo is done or not. From what I'm reading, I can't see there is any way back other to send half the squad or more on their way.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The saga continues:
  • Training was scheduled to start at 8:30, strapping at 8:00. Player turned up at 8:10 thinking he was 20min early as he didn't need any strapping.
  • Willie Mason who is on the coaching staff called the players unhappy about the situation, "fuking soft as shit". In any professionally run club, he'd be sacked before the day was out but at the Bullgrubs, no acknowledgement other than perhaps tacit agreement.
  • And as mentioned yesterday, a lot of players are very unhappy about the coach questioning their work ethic. They don't have any problem working hard but take issue with Ciraldo's methods.
I wonder if jodragon40 jodragon40 has any input on whether Ciraldo is done or not. From what I'm reading, I can't see there is any way back other to send half the squad or more on their way.
The saga continues. The only thing better would be this happening at the Sharks.

The most important thing is which players might become available to poach.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The saga continues. The only thing better would be this happening at the Sharks.

The most important thing is which players might become available to poach.
From what I've seen of the Dogs this year, the only players we would want are a few of the younger players. Not the ones they have imported for huge money. Maybe JAC is still good but he's been around for ages now. How old is he? It's very important for one who relies on speed so much.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The saga continues:
Cameron Ciraldo is contracted on big money for another 4 yrs. In my humble opinion those players complaining about his disciplinary approach would be more dispensable than the coach in this instance. It's not even what I would call a Mexican standoff, the club will back their highly vaunted coach before any player, a few players have been allowed to leave and a little birdy told me up to 15 out of the contracted top 30 won't be playing for the Bulldogs next season

Eric

Staff
Cameron Ciraldo is contracted on big money for another 4 yrs. In my humble opinion those players complaining about his disciplinary approach would be more dispensable than the coach in this instance. It's not even what I would call a Mexican standoff, the club will back their highly vaunted coach before any player, a few players have been allowed to leave and a little birdy told me up to 15 out of the contracted top 30 won't be playing for the Bulldogs next season
I think you are right but I'm not sure if he's so highly vaunted anymore. How much would it cost to pay out 4 years of his contract??? Other clubs make a noise about how bad it is when they have to pay out coaches for 1 to 2 years and not particularly highly paid. Grubs won a bidding war for Ciraldo. And I wonder if any of those ex-Penrith players have get out clauses in their contract regarding Ciraldo being the head coach?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
15 out of 30 is a massive turnover, isn't it? Wouldn't it take at least 2 or 3 years to become competitive? Even if most of the 15 weren't big names. Every club needs depth.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
15 out of 30 is a massive turnover, isn't it? Wouldn't it take at least 2 or 3 years to become competitive? Even if most of the 15 weren't big names. Every club needs depth.
Time will tell me if my birdy is any good but as of today I counted 8