Recruitment and Retention for 2025

Red T

SGI Jersey Flegg
if Talagi got fullback what happens to Gutho ? If he is shopped around I wouldn’t mind him joining Saints (at a discounted price).

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
if Talagi got fullback what happens to Gutho ? If he is shopped around I wouldn’t mind him joining Saints (at a discounted price).
No thanks to Gutho but I guess the longer Talangi hasn't re-signed with Eels, the more it suggests he's on the move. When a player re-signs, there is no cooling off period, is there?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Matt Arthur released from Parramatta Eels​

Eels have released Matt Arthur, with the boom young hooker angry over the club’s treatment of his father Brad​

Newcastle is favourite to sign Matt Arthur after the young Eels star was granted immediate permission to negotiate with rival clubs. Arthur, 19, is understood to be angry at the club’s treatment of his dad, Brad, who was sacked as head coach in May. Arthur, who is contracted until the end of 2025, has been agitating for a release from the moment his father was dumped.

Hooker Arthur, who has played three NRL games for Parramatta, is expected to finish the season with the Eels. A Parramatta statement read: “Matt and his management approached the club recently seeking permission to negotiate with other clubs following the 2024 season based on compassionate grounds.

Too bad Flanno already signed Damien Cook. Not his fault. How could he have known this was going to happen? But wait, don't Newcastle have salary cap problems? Oh, that's right, Flanno has that covered as well. He was smart enough to pick up yet another unwanted veteran!!! from Newcastle so they could open up cap space to sign one of the most highly regarded young hookers.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg

Matt Arthur released from Parramatta Eels​

Eels have released Matt Arthur, with the boom young hooker angry over the club’s treatment of his father Brad​

Newcastle is favourite to sign Matt Arthur after the young Eels star was granted immediate permission to negotiate with rival clubs. Arthur, 19, is understood to be angry at the club’s treatment of his dad, Brad, who was sacked as head coach in May. Arthur, who is contracted until the end of 2025, has been agitating for a release from the moment his father was dumped.

Hooker Arthur, who has played three NRL games for Parramatta, is expected to finish the season with the Eels. A Parramatta statement read: “Matt and his management approached the club recently seeking permission to negotiate with other clubs following the 2024 season based on compassionate grounds.

Too bad Flanno already signed Damien Cook. Not his fault. How could he have known this was going to happen? But wait, don't Newcastle have salary cap problems? Oh, that's right, Flanno has that covered as well. He was smart enough to pick up yet another unwanted veteran!!! from Newcastle so they could open up cap space to sign one of the most highly regarded young hookers.

Knights already have Brailey & Crossland on the books. Along with Hastings, Gamble & Cogger in the halves. I don't see how it makes sense for them to get Arthur too. Knights are interested in a back though, I wonder if there's some player swaps with Rava & Saifiti?

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I dont think Arthur is a sure thing by any stretch and still a kid.. he was 'ok' in U19 origin, did some weird things, but Cook is huge for us, on and off the field.

Lets see how this Mason Phillips kid goes next year in SG Ball.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Knights already have Brailey & Crossland on the books. Along with Hastings, Gamble & Cogger in the halves. I don't see how it makes sense for them to get Arthur too. Knights are interested in a back though, I wonder if there's some player swaps with Rava & Saifiti?
They are apparently trying to move on Brailey.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I dont think Arthur is a sure thing by any stretch and still a kid.. he was 'ok' in U19 origin, did some weird things, but Cook is huge for us, on and off the field.

Lets see how this Mason Phillips kid goes next year in SG Ball.
Agree. I thought he was very average in the U19s Origin game but Dragons are at a stage where we too have to start taking a chance on some young players, as every other club does. Instead of Flanno scouring the world for late 20s or early 30s players who were once good but have been sliding for a while and are no longer wanted anywhere else.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
They are apparently trying to move on Brailey.
I find that so frustrating, because I believe we chased him late last year.. family friend of the Flannos, we needed a hooker.. Newcastle wouldnt let him go even though Crossland was their preferred....

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

We went after Jake earlier in the year and he didn't want anything to do with us so couldn't see Matt wanting in.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
We went after Jake earlier in the year and he didn't want anything to do with us so couldn't see Matt wanting in.
Maybe now they'd be more receptive with him I think in the Manly ressies and his brother now looking for a new deal. But we never have any spots open or cap money available to try and sign these young players because Flanno picks up every veteran no longer wanted by other clubs.

It's doing my head in!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Matt Arthur aint anything special, too slow for a dummy half, also Adam O'Brien i thin is his Godfather, if people are complaining about us not signing MArthur, i think you need to watch him play..
It's not that I rate him, though he's highly regarded, it's the principle of signing all these veterans so other clubs can sign promising young players.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Was hoping for news on Talagi today or tomorrow... Supposed to be a decision coming immenent. Would very much be classified as young and exciting but a rare unicorn in that he's also first grade rdy with a year under his belt.. . But not getting too excited just yet, if we miss him I'm not sure what plan b will be.

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
True. I was thinking for next year. I think those two are at least 2 years away.
No room for him next year, Cook and Liddle will be our 9's and we wouldn't waste a top30 spot for him , considering he can only play hooker and personally i don't see much in him, and i don't see him coming here for anything less than top30, he isnt the type of player for fans to get angry or upset that we didnt sign him.