Recruitment and Retention for 2025

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Recruitment of quality players like Holmes would also make it easier to recruit others like Talagi. BTW is his name, Talangi, Talagi or Talagai? Regardless, it cold be a backline of:
  1. Sloan. A much tougher, more consistent version of him.
  2. Holmes
  3. Suli
  4. Feagai. He was quiet today but I think he goes ok as a centre. Too slow to be a good winger.
  5. A junior. Rumble or Borg or Captain Kirk.
  6. Talagi
  7. Hunt
This fixes the problem of the old and slow backline. 4 genuine speedsters and 4 young blokes out of the 7.

It's a top 4 backline!
Buchanan is ahead of Rumble or Borg or Captain Kirk. Maybe in 2026 you are on the money but it won't include Hunt.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Im not feeling any of the young backs as 2025 prospects.. its probably more about creating opportunities for them to get some games in cup and see if they develop...

Rly wanting to see a player or 2 locked in soon.. as of right now we only have Cooky.. im not sure we have the spots to sign Talagi & Holmes, it wouldnt actually surprise me if Flanno is chasing Horsborough to pressure DSaifitis management and Holmes to pressure Talagis management.. or maybe hes just sick of waiting around for Talagi... but id be rly surprised we signed all 4, cause we still need 1 or 2 halves players yet.. lot of plates spinning at once...

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Val is on the slide. I doubt he'd get picked in anymore rep teams. Who knows what the impact of NFL training has done to him. I wouldn't pay more than 600k & I'd want him next year for a max of 3 years.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
doubt we have room for Talagi & Holmes
Make room then. Holmes is still a good player, perhaps no longer rep standard, plus he kicks goals which we badly need. Give him three years and let him finish his career a Dragon. Talagi has talent and versatility. Still reckon Ryles will wanna keep him an Eel, just testing the market with him.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Are we bloody scared to give our juniors a crack like several clubs are doing. More and more I hear of 18/19 year olds making their NRL debuts. While we let ours wallow in lower grade until they become fed up and wanna move on to greener pastures. Kids this age are as hungry as a ravenous grizzly.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Are we bloody scared to give our juniors a crack like several clubs are doing. More and more I hear of 18/19 year olds making their NRL debuts. While we let ours wallow in lower grade until they become tired and wanna move on to greener pastures. Kids this age are as hungry as a ravenous grizzly.
Agree

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Val is on the slide. I doubt he'd get picked in anymore rep teams. Who knows what the impact of NFL training has done to him. I wouldn't pay more than 600k & I'd want him next year for a max of 3 years.
He's on the slide but still goes ok from what I have seen of him at the Cowboys and in Origin.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Bird was on like 200k or something, im sure someone will pick that up.. its good for us as it frees up a Top30 spot, it might mean Max stays on.. but I think Flanno will be starting to think about some fullback and halfback cover now.. I dont know if a halfback was high on his radar until a few weeks ago.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Bird was on like 200k or something, im sure someone will pick that up.. its good for us as it frees up a Top30 spot, it might mean Max stays on.. but I think Flanno will be starting to think about some fullback and halfback cover now.. I dont know if a halfback was high on his radar until a few weeks ago.
Remember the Dragons have that former Souths fullback on the books next year. The one who did his knee in the pre-season. Also Cody Ramsey.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Bird UK Super League, no one is wasting a top 30 spot on him..
I think this week we surely get some sort of announcement this week
Saifiti, Talagi, Holmes, NAS, Horseburgh, Lodge, someone has to be

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Are we bloody scared to give our juniors a crack like several clubs are doing. More and more I hear of 18/19 year olds making their NRL debuts. While we let ours wallow in lower grade until they become fed up and wanna move on to greener pastures. Kids this age are as hungry as a ravenous grizzly.
I get the sentiment... but who is it that you want in 1st grade? Reed is tiny and not even in Flegg, Ward I spose is a chance.. but hasnt played reserve grade yet.. but huge opportunity risk to pin our hopes and give him a Top30 or Development spot.. when we could give it to someone like a Volkman (or similar) who is ready to go.... LKT I mean hes finding his feet in reserves, im not sure what hes going to do in 1sts.. in a pinch.. but I dont think hes better than Kyle at this stage of his career.. Kyle also makes his tackles and is pretty safe.

I just dont think we have the kids in our system for 2025 atleast.. apart from Couchmans and Tonga, and we can talk about Latu/Ackers next year but thats not the position we are having trouble.

Last edited:

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Remember the Dragons have that former Souths fullback on the books next year. The one who did his knee in the pre-season. Also Cody Ramsey.
Oh Allan, im nervous about him.. both his ability to stay uninjured and the pace he has left.. but I suspect he will be like a Mathew Feagai, just solid and experienced option, maybe wing or ctr..

Ramsey is not in the mix though, Justa mentioned 'maybe' he plays some reserved in 12mths time.. we cant rely on him unfortunately to save first grade.. he would be a pleasant surprise if he was pressure 1st grade again though in 2026 or some such.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Oh Allan, im nervous about him.. both his ability to stay uninjured and the pace he has left.. but I suspect he will be like a Mathew Feagai, just solid and experienced option, maybe wing or ctr..

Ramsey is not in the mix though, Justa mentioned 'maybe' he plays some reserved in 12mths time.. we cant rely on him unfortunately to save first grade.. he would be a pleasant surprise if he was pressure 1st grade again though in 2026 or some such.
It's that bad??? Is he on the recovery or still needs treatment?

yeah, Allen. TBH, I don't rate him but he is on the books for next year.