Recruitment and Retention for 2025

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I get the sentiment... but who is it that you want in 1st grade? Reed is tiny and not even in Flegg, Ward I spose is a chance.. but hasnt played reserve grade yet.. but huge opportunity risk to pin our hopes and give him a Top30 or Development spot.. when we could give it to someone like a Volkman (or similar) who is ready to go.... LKT I mean hes finding his feet in reserves, im not sure what hes going to do in 1sts.. in a pinch.. but I dont think hes better than Kyle at this stage of his career.. Kyle also makes his tackles and is pretty safe.

I just dont think we have the kids in our system for 2025 atleast.. apart from Couchmans and Tonga, and we can talk about Latu/Ackers next year but thats not the position we are having trouble.
Dylan Egan. For outside backs and halves, I think you're right. Maybe Tamale but giving him a debut now would only benefit Canberra.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
2 backs (1 who can cover fullback) and 2 props would be so good.. halves we can figure out later...every signing will make the next one easier...

I rly feel for Flanno trying to be tight on the purse strings but get the deals done.. its a fine line..

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Middles will be:
  • de Belin
  • Couchman x 2
  • Frank Molo
  • A recruit
  • ??????
Assuming Blocka is in the outer.
Still Sele, MMolo, Tonga, Latu, Stewart in the 30, but legit looks like we are chasing 2 Props.. its a big call.. thats 5 frontline props + 2 couchmans who are pretty close to holding their own also..

I think if we can offload Lawrie we do.. but hes going to be very hard to sell.. we might be stuck with him a while longer.....

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Still Sele, MMolo, Tonga, Latu, Stewart in the 30, but legit looks like we are chasing 2 Props.. its a big call.. thats 5 frontline props + 2 couchmans who are pretty close to holding their own also..

I think if we can offload Lawrie we do.. but hes going to be very hard to sell.. we might be stuck with him a while longer.....
I thought Latu and Stewart might be4 on an edge. Mike Molo and Sele are but not more than that, IMO.

Eric

Staff

Larie isn't on much much money and is dependable. He's not going to have any breakout games but he's going to train hard, run hard, make reasonable metres and a good amount of tackles. I don't know why he's on the outer. I'm not into stats that much but I think he makes more run metres and tackles with fewer misses than Sele and Molo.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Jackson Hastings has been dropped again. Might be available to play 5/8. This is a possibility for next year.
  1. Sloan
  2. Holmes
  3. Suli
  4. Talagi
  5. Feagai
  6. LKT
  7. Hunt
  8. Frank Molo
  9. Cook
  10. JDB
  11. Su'A
  12. Leilua
  13. Couchman

14. Couchman
  15. Sele
  16. Liddle
  17. Egan or Hamish Stewart or Loko Pasifiki Tonga or Jacob Halangahu

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
If we sign 2 props (lets say its RCG/Saifiti for now, but there are other options), its a prop rotation something like:

8. RCG
10. Saifiti
13. Sele
16. FMolo
17. Debelin

Both Couchies miss out unless someone is injured.. does seem perhaps 1 too many big name props.. but it would be a very strong pack with depth.. and if you arent performing.. Flanno actually has options now.

I cant help but wonder whether he would prefer a Couchman at lock though.. there is something in their youthful energy... they are probably 3-4 years away from their peak.. but I reckon they are ready after this next pre-season.. arguably before.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
If we sign 2 props (lets say its RCG/Saifiti for now, but there are other options), its a prop rotation something like:

8. RCG
10. Saifiti
13. Sele
16. FMolo
17. Debelin

Both Couchies miss out unless someone is injured.. does seem perhaps 1 too many big name props.. but it would be a very strong pack with depth.. and if you arent performing.. Flanno actually has options now.

I cant help but wonder whether he would prefer a Couchman at lock though.. there is something in their youthful energy... they are probably 3-4 years away from their peak.. but I reckon they are ready after this next pre-season.. arguably before.
Should keep Lawrie for another year, forget about Saifiti and RCG, spend the money saved on Holmes and Talagi. If we need those 2 props, why did Flanno sign Sele and re-sign Molo and JDB?

Toby C was Dragons best yesterday. These days he's one of the best 3 forwards with JDB and Su'A every week. I don't think even Flanno can keep them out next year.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg

8. RCG
10. Saifiti
13. Sele
16. FMolo
17. Debelin

It's good depth, besides injuries hitting us, it allows us to also let Loko Jnr Pasifiki Tonga, Jett Liu, Jacob Webster, Finau Latu etc to develop in KOE cup , you would have JDB playing 1 more year next year and phased out then the following year possibly RCG in between those retirements you could bring in Tonga/Liu/Webster without the pressure of them having to play week in week out and leading our pack, i know everyone wants these guys to play NRL but it will do some of them more harm than good, i like the way the Couchmans are getting exposure let the build their game week in week out in KOE cup and bring them in over the season, it will benefit them in the long run..

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

8. RCG
10. Saifiti
13. Sele
16. FMolo
17. Debelin

You think the Couchman's might be on the outer next year as well? At the current rate of improvement, I expect Toby will be the Dragons best forward next year and I've heard from multiple sources there is nothing between him and Ryan.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I hope there is no ill-feelings around the couchies.. its one of those things with depth.. sometimes you need it right from Round 1, and sometimes noone gets injured all season... I remember Sullivan was in reserve grade and thinking he will get heaps of games, a young kid in Amone wont be able to do long periods in 1sts.. but somehow he did.. and he never seemed to get injured..

We shall see, ultimately I think there is a massive time-pressure for success, we cant afford to keep sucking or we wont retain/recruit our talent.. so whatever he wants to do roster-wise, yah but I think the gap between couchmans and the main guys is decreasing.. but tbf they are only 21 next year.. so relying on them each week maybe a stretch.. its so weird having 2 of them though...

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
You think the Couchman's might be on the outer next year as well? At the current rate of improvement, I expect Toby will be the Dragons best forward next year and I've heard from multiple sources there is nothing between him and Ryan.
I'm surprised Flanno is in the market for a single prop unless he's a very young one with a big future ahead of him. Not one well past his best let alone 2. But definitely signing Holmes and Talagi would be sensational!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I hope there is no ill-feelings around the couchies.. its one of those things with depth.. sometimes you need it right from Round 1, and sometimes noone gets injured all season... I remember Sullivan was in reserve grade and thinking he will get heaps of games, a young kid in Amone wont be able to do long periods in 1sts.. but somehow he did.. and he never seemed to get injured..

We shall see, ultimately I think there is a massive time-pressure for success, we cant afford to keep sucking or we wont retain/recruit our talent.. so whatever he wants to do roster-wise, yah but I think the gap between couchmans and the main guys is decreasing.. but tbf they are only 21 next year.. so relying on them each week maybe a stretch.. its so weird having 2 of them though...
I think the gap between the forwards and Toby Couchman has disappeared and is now going to the other way. Judging by Sundays game.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I know there was a bit of a public pile-on Re: Tanah Boyd for the Titans early losses, but he just came on the market also.. ive mentioned him a few times as I think there could be a well-priced but genuine 7 in there.. has the big boot, running game, goal-kicking.. I think he was unfairly blamed for early season.. but.. I also cant argue that the Titans seem to prefer Foran as their 7.. maybe there are deficiencies I dont really understand.

Its interesting though.. I think we do need to find a 1st grade ready 7 for next year, no matter how things play out with Hunt and Kyle.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I know there was a bit of a public pile-on Re: Tanah Boyd for the Titans early losses, but he just came on the market also.. ive mentioned him a few times as I think there could be a well-priced but genuine 7 in there.. has the big boot, running game, goal-kicking.. I think he was unfairly blamed for early season.. but.. I also cant argue that the Titans seem to prefer Foran as their 7.. maybe there are deficiencies I dont really understand.

Its interesting though.. I think we do need to find a 1st grade ready 7 for next year, no matter how things play out with Hunt and Kyle.
Hunt is on the books for next year anyway. No matter what one thinks of him, club can't afford to be paying him big money to play elsewhere or sit on the sidelines.