Round 9 v Melbourne

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I disagree with this. I think Amone will go back to NSW Cup and Sullivan will retain his position. It might also be time for Mbye to go.

Melbourne Storm vs St George Illawarra Dragons at AAMI Park, 2.00pm AEDT

Last week’s Storm team: 1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. Nick Meaney 3. Reimis Smith 4. Justin Olam 5. Xavier Coates 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Harry Grant 10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenny Bromwich 13. Josh King 14. Brandon Smith 15. Tyran Wishart 16. Trent Loiero 17. Tepai Moeroa

Team Tips: Tepai Moeroa suffered a shoulder injury not long after scoring a try on Sunday and was forced from the field early. Tom Eisenhuth is free to play after Covid-19 protocols made him unavailable last week and could be an option to come onto the bench, along with Jordan Grant and or Alec MacDonald. Tui Kamikamica returned to the field last weekend via Queensland Cup after his assault charges were dropped but it’s likely the prop will spend more time in reserve grade before returning to the NRL.

Last week’s Dragons team: 1. Moses Mbye 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 14. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Andrew McCullough 10. George Burgess 11. Tariq Sims 12. Josh McGuire 13. Jack de Belin 15. Blake Lawrie 16. Aaron Woods 17. Tyrell Fuimaono 24. Jayden Sullivan

Team Tips: Jack Bird is a good chance of returning after coach Anthony Griffin revealed he was very close to playing against the Tigers. Bird’s return would likely see Talatau Amone move back to the bench and Jayden Sullivan left out of the 17 despite his impressive performance off the bench. Jaydn Su’A is unlikely to return from the ankle injury that ruled him out of last week which means the pack is expected to stay the same.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The team I'd like to see.
  1. Sloan
  2. Ravalawa
  3. Lomax
  4. Suli
  5. Feagai
  6. Amone - Defence is a worry but we are going to need a lot of points to win and maybe it's a good change to see how he fares against strong opposition.
  7. Hunt
  8. Burgess - If he isn't injured
  9. McCullough
  10. Molo
  11. Sims
  12. McGuire
  13. de Belin
  14. Bird
  15. Sullivan
  16. Lawrie
  17. Woods.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The team I'd like to see.
  1. Sloan
  2. Ravalawa
  3. Lomax
  4. Suli
  5. Feagai
  6. Amone - Defence is a worry but we are going to need a lot of points to win and maybe it's a good change to see how he fares against strong opposition.
  7. Hunt
  8. Burgess - If he isn't injured
  9. McCullough
  10. Molo
  11. Sims
  12. McGuire
  13. de Belin
  14. Bird
  15. Sullivan
  16. Lawrie
  17. Woods.
I like it but I think Bird has to be 5/8. Putting Amone in at this stage almost seems like conceding defeat.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Isn't it like throwing one in the deep end to see how they can swim without expecting one to win the race?
One way to look at it. Another would be that the team isn't playing conservatively but going all out for the win.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Here we go again. Is the coach watching a different Moses Mbye to the one I'm watching? Maybe his defence is litterally, "a little" better than Sloan's but every other facet of his fullback game is far inferior.

St George Illawarra Dragons team:​

1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. George Burgess
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Josh Mcguire
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Aaron Woods
  17. Tyrell Fuimaono
  18. Jayden Sullivan
  19. Cody Ramsey
  20. Jack Gosiewski
  21. Tyrell Sloan
  22. Josh Kerr
  23. Jackson Ford
  24. Tautau Moga

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Here we go again. Is the coach watching a different Moses Mbye to the one I'm watching? Maybe his defence is litterally, "a little" better than Sloan's but every other facet of his fullback game is far inferior.

1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. George Burgess
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Josh Mcguire
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Aaron Woods
  17. Tyrell Fuimaono
  18. Jayden Sullivan
  19. Cody Ramsey
  20. Jack Gosiewski
  21. Tyrell Sloan
  22. Josh Kerr
  23. Jackson Ford
  24. Tautau Moga
On a brighter note, won't Connor Muhleisen be available from next week. If the coach is willing to drop one of his old favourites, I think Connor Muhleisen will be a huge inclusion. Add a running threat out of dummy half and get through just as much work in defence.

Is Mbye's defence at fullback better than Sloan's? I was furious with Mbye in the last 3min last game. Regulation bomb, nothing particularly difficult about it. No pressure from Tigers players and not especially high and Mbye let it bounce and then knocked it over the deal ball line when the nearest Tigers player was 10m away! Isn't taking such bombs considered "defence"?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
On a brighter note, won't Connor Muhleisen be available from next week. If the coach is willing to drop one of his old favourites, I think Connor Muhleisen will be a huge inclusion. Add a running threat out of dummy half and get through just as much work in defence.

Is Mbye's defence at fullback better than Sloan's? I was furious with Mbye in the last 3min last game. Regulation bomb, nothing particularly difficult about it. No pressure from Tigers players and not especially high and Mbye let it bounce and then knocked it over the deal ball line when the nearest Tigers player was 10m away! Isn't taking such bombs considered "defence"?
I read you but I don't think that would be classed as "defence".

Eric

Staff

1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. George Burgess
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Josh Mcguire
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Aaron Woods
  17. Tyrell Fuimaono
  18. Jayden Sullivan
  19. Cody Ramsey
  20. Jack Gosiewski
  21. Tyrell Sloan
  22. Josh Kerr
  23. Jackson Ford
  24. Tautau Moga
I was just looking at the Melbourne team. They really shouldn't be that good. Some of their guys include:
  • Nick Meaney
  • Reimis Smith
  • Justin Olam
  • Kenny Bromwich
  • Josh King
  • Tyran Wishart
  • Trent Loiero
  • Jordan Grant
Even Jesse Bromwich and Felise Kaufusi are hardly still in their prime. Should be a winnable game.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I was just looking at the Melbourne team. They really shouldn't be that good. Some of their guys include:
  • Nick Meaney
  • Reimis Smith
  • Justin Olam
  • Kenny Bromwich
  • Josh King
  • Tyran Wishart
  • Trent Loiero
  • Jordan Grant
Even Jesse Bromwich and Felise Kaufusi are hardly still in their prime. Should be a winnable game.
That's interesting. Harry Grant vs Andrew McCullough, Ryan Papenhuyzen vs Moses Mbye are huge advantages for them. Then while Bird is hardly useless at 5/8, Munster is a much better 5/8. That's 3 of the 4 spine positions they have a very significant advantage.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Look whose back!! #17🕺

1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Aaron Woods
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Josh Mcguire
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Tyrell Fuimaono
  17. Jack Gosiewski
  18. Jayden Sullivan

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Look whose back!! #17🕺

1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Aaron Woods
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Josh Mcguire
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Tyrell Fuimaono
  17. Jack Gosiewski
  18. Jayden Sullivan
You are a Jack Gosiewski superfan!

Eric

Staff
Look whose back!! #17🕺

1. Moses Mbye
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Jack Bird
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Aaron Woods
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Josh Mcguire
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Talatau Amone
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Tyrell Fuimaono
  17. Jack Gosiewski
  18. Jayden Sullivan
Sign me up for the Jack Gosiewski fan club. BTW I think you mean to say this is the final 17 + reserve for the Storm game. Coach is still going with Mbye at fulback....

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Good to see my man back he won't let us down but the difference is the spine and as correctly stated earlier we are ahead in 1 of 4, Hunt only can hold his head high . Defence will be paramount in this game if the dragons allow Grant time and room around the ruck and dummy half, it could get quite nasty. Completion rate must be in the 80 to 90% not 65 to 70%. The only way at this time to play the Storm is fast line speed in defence to cut down the time their playmakers have. Papenhausen will most probably wrap around and try to burn Suli with his speed. I hope our pack can match the storm pack and on paper I believe that we can. However our pack cant afford to miss 32 tackles this week if they do the game will be gone by the 20 min mark. Obviously as I mentioned before Burgess is not match fit and you just can't afford to carry a forward who has managed 25 min a game to date to play against the storm. Bird is a better defender than Amone so has to start if fit big job keeping Munster quiet. It is time for Sims and Woods to stand up against one of the benchmark teams of the competition.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Good to see my man back he won't let us down but the difference is the spine and as correctly stated earlier we are ahead in 1 of 4, Hunt only can hold his head high . Defence will be paramount in this game if the dragons allow Grant time and room around the ruck and dummy half, it could get quite nasty. Completion rate must be in the 80 to 90% not 65 to 70%. The only way at this time to play the Storm is fast line speed in defence to cut down the time their playmakers have. Papenhausen will most probably wrap around and try to burn Suli with his speed. I hope our pack can match the storm pack and on paper I believe that we can. However our pack cant afford to miss 32 tackles this week if they do the game will be gone by the 20 min mark. Obviously as I mentioned before Burgess is not match fit and you just can't afford to carry a forward who has managed 25 min a game to date to play against the storm. Bird is a better defender than Amone so has to start if fit big job keeping Munster quiet. It is time for Sims and Woods to stand up against one of the benchmark teams of the competition.
Here we sre talking about Jack Gosiewski and jodragon throws the encyclopedia at us.