RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Been a slow week with the bye but looking forward to this on Wednesday. I guess Hunt was always a certainty but I thought he be on the bench. Glad Tariq Sims got picked but not sure which games Fittler has been watching in order to justify signing Sims.

So I hate to do it but I'm tipping QLD to win. I see Fittler playing favourites, not picking the best team. JAC is way better than Tupou and as I said about Sims though not sure who I'd replace him with. Maybe that backrower from Manly who tore up New Zealand on Saturday.

Does this thread belong in the "Other Rugby League" section? I hope no one minds if I park it here.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Been a slow week with the bye but looking forward to this on Wednesday. I guess Hunt was always a certainty but I thought he be on the bench. Glad Tariq Sims got picked but not sure which games Fittler has been watching in order to justify signing Sims.

So I hate to do it but I'm tipping QLD to win. I see Fittler playing favourites, not picking the best team. JAC is way better than Tupou and as I said about Sims though not sure who I'd replace him with. Maybe that backrower from Manly who tore up New Zealand on Saturday.

Does this thread belong in the "Other Rugby League" section? I hope no one minds if I park it here.
NSW by 16. NSW have a big advantage in the outside backs. I know Holmes has been playing well as a centre but at this level, he is going to get found out. Cobbo and Coats will get smashed. Even Ponga has been poor this year.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
NSW
QLD
  1. James Tedesco
  2. Brian To'o
  3. Kotoni Staggs
  4. Jack Wighton
  5. Daniel Tupou
  6. Jarome Luai
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. Payne Haas
  9. Damien Cook
  10. Junior Paulo
  11. Cameron Murray
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Isaah Yeo
  14. Stephen Crichton
  15. Liam Martin
  16. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
  17. Ryan Matterson
  1. Kalyn Ponga
  2. Selwyn Cobbo
  3. Valentine Holmes
  4. Dane Gagai
  5. Xavier Coates
  6. Cameron Munster
  7. Daly Cherry-Evans
  8. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
  9. Ben Hunt
  10. Josh Papali'i
  11. Kurt Capewell
  12. Felise Kaufusi
  13. Reuben Cotter
  14. Harry Grant
  15. Lindsay Collins
  16. Patrick Carrigan
  17. Jeremiah Nanai
NSW by 10. QLD have a few fringe first graders in their team, IMO (#16, #13). A few past their best (#4, #12, #11). A few in before their time (#2, #17).

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
NSW
QLD
  1. James Tedesco - Of course
  2. Brian To'o - Of course. Feagai needs half the work ethic.
  3. Kotoni Staggs - Of course
  4. Jack Wighton - Hmmm I guess so.
  5. Daniel Tupou - WTF?
  6. Jarome Luai - Of course. I'm a fan.
  7. Nathan Cleary - Of course
  8. Payne Haas - Of course
  9. Damien Cook - Been around a while now. This must be his last series.
  10. Junior Paulo - I guess so.
  11. Cameron Murray - Not sure about him as a second rower.
  12. Tariq Sims - Lucky.
  13. Isaah Yeo - JDB out-played him last game they faced each other.
  14. Stephen Crichton - Would have thought a utility who can play in the forwards would've been better.
  15. Liam Martin - Tries hard. Not very talented. NSW must have few good second rowers.
  16. Reagan Campbell-Gillard- I guess so.
  17. Ryan Matterson - I guess so.
  1. Kalyn Ponga - Poor this year from the games I've seen
  2. Selwyn Cobbo - Haven't watch Broncos much.
  3. Valentine Holmes - Been playing well.
  4. Dane Gagai - I guess so.
  5. Xavier Coates - I guess so.
  6. Cameron Munster - Of course
  7. Daly Cherry-Evans - Of course
  8. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui - Of course
  9. Ben Hunt - I thought he'd be on the bench.
  10. Josh Papali'i - Of course
  11. Kurt Capewell - Severely overrated. Would prefer Sims in the Dragons team.
  12. Felise Kaufusi - Well past his best.
  13. Reuben Cotter - Who?
  14. Harry Grant - Of course. Can't understand why he isn't starting.
  15. Lindsay Collins - I guess so.
  16. Patrick Carrigan - Overrated.
  17. Jeremiah Nanai - Too soon.
NSW by 10. QLD have a few fringe first graders in their team, IMO (#16, #13). A few past their best (#4, #12, #11). A few in before their time (#2, #17).

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup

Sims game has improved since his future was resolved. Plus Freddie knows he killed em last SOO. Jack de Belin is still as good a footballer as when he last played for his state. Is the NRL playing politics by punishing him over his much publicized trial. Hello, he was acquitted.

To be brutally honest I went off SOO a while back. I watched the very first match in 1982.. and 25 years after that. It used to be a war of attrition, but when it became a no holds bar thug/hate fest I switched off. In the past there have been outcries of bias with players from one state being picked over the other. Win the SOO and you dominate the national side. And this is supposed to be a trial to select out Kangaroo side. I will always back the Blues and hope they make up at least half the Kangaroo side for the World Cup..

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Sims game has improved since his future was resolved. Pluss Freddie knows he killed em last SOO.

To be brutally honest I went off SOO a while back. I watched the very first match in 1982.. and at least three decades after that. It used to be a war of attrition, now it is a thug fest with two teams clearly hating each other's guts.. and this is supposed to be a trial to select out Kangaroo side. In the past there have been outcries of bias with players from one state being picked over the other. I will always back the Blues and hope they make up at least half the kangaroo side.
I think Sims has only started 2 games in by far his best position, second row, and played well.

Eric

Staff
Sims game has improved since his future was resolved. Pluss Freddie knows he killed em last SOO.

To be brutally honest I went off SOO a while back. I watched the very first match in 1982.. and at least three decades after that. It used to be a war of attrition, now it is a thug fest with two teams clearly hating each other's guts.. and this is supposed to be a trial to select out Kangaroo side. In the past there have been outcries of bias with players from one state being picked over the other. I will always back the Blues and hope they make up at least half the kangaroo side.
I'm not as excited as I was about it previously as well. If more Dragons players were involved, I'm sure I'd be more excited about it.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I remember the glory days of Barrett, Gaz, Coops, Baily, Ryles, Kite all in the team.
Oh yes and the flow on affect as they also made the Kangaroo squad so we were doubly proud. We were also well represented earlier in the 90s with Wishart, McGregor, Coyne, Mackay, Bartrim prominent in teams.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Make them the hated enemy as much as they see NSW as that.
No problem. Hatred is already ingrained in both sides. Reason I said I stopped watching this. Be different if it was respect like we see in Test matches. Against the British Lions for instance.