STATE SHIELD CRICKET '22/23.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Sheffield Shield cricket has been played in Australia for 130 years..
It is played between the six states over four days using a red ball. Before BBL the Shield was played across 10 consecutive rounds. Now BBL divides the season in two and the season finishes in March..

Significant Shield records :
Donald Bradman - highest individual score - 452 not out.
Darren Lehmann - most career runs- 13,635.
Simon Katich- most runs in a season- 1,506.
Jamie Cox- most matches played-160.
Clarrie Grimmett- most career wickets - 513
Colin Miller- most season wickets - 67.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Sheffield Shield cricket has been played in Australia for 130 years..
It is played between the six states over four days using a red ball. Before BBL the Shield was played across 10 consecutive rounds. Now BBL divides the season in two and the season finishes in March..
Who the current title holder?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Season begins today October 3. 1.30 AEST. WACA ground, Perth. Yeehah!!

NSW BLUES Shield squad: Trent Copeland (ball), Oliver Davies (bat), Jack Edwards (ball/bat), Ryan Hackney (bat), Ryan Hadley (ball), Lachlan Hearne (bat), Moises Henriques (bat/ball), Baxter Holt (w/k), Daniel Hughes (bat), Hayden Kerr (bat/ball), Blake Nikitaris (bat) Kurtis Patterson (c bat), J Sangha (v/c bat/ball), Tanveer Sangha(ball), Chris Tremain (ball).

WA Warriors Shield squad: Ashton Agar(ball/bat)
, Cameron Bancroft (bat), Hilton Cartwright(bat/ball), Cameron Green(bat/ball), Aaron Hardie (bat/ball), Josh Inglis(w/k), Matthew Kelly (ball), Mitch Marsh (bat/ball), (c) Shaun Marsh (bat), Lance Morris (ball), Joel Paris (ball), Josh Philippe (w/k), Jhye Richardson (ball), Corey Rocchiccioli (ball), D’Arcy Short(bat/ball), Ashton Turner (bat/ball), Sam Whiteman (bat), Teague Wyllie (bat).
Blues batting first on a green top.:eek: Regular opener Ryan Hackney omitted, so have Trent Copeland and Ryan Hadley from out attack?? I have a big problem picking three lefties in the top 3. Can see a bad match outcome for us with this lineup even without the classy Jhye Richardson.
Playing X1 for both sides are underlined above.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
How does that work? Still the same 2 innings each? Wouldn't there be a lot of draws?
Yes both use the two innings. That is a fair assumption. Truth is there are no more draws than the five day game. You will find Test batsmen have greater mental ability to concentrate for longer periods than their Shield counterparts.

Eric

Staff
Yes both use the two innings. That is a fair assumption. Truth is there are no more draws than the five day game. You will find Test batsmen have greater mental ability to concentrate for longer periods than their Shield counterparts.
I know X number of these guys get contracts with Cricket Australia and some make money in the IPL but are the rest of them also pros? Seems like it might be difficult to play for 4 days on a regular basis and also hold down another profession.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
State players are professionals like Test (national) players.

NSW 180.. Kurtis Patterson top score 70 not out. Well batted skipper.
Best bowler Lance Morris with 5/32. A Test cap awaits Lance.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
What kind of bowler is Lance Morris?
Express pace, between 145-150kph, with the engine to crank it up to 155kph or even further. Two of our past express men were Jeff Thomson and Brett Lee. Is a great asset to your attack having an express bowler to call on when the skipper wants some feathers ruffled.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Express pace, between 145-150kph, with the engine to crank it up to 155kph or even further. Two of our past express men were Jeff Thomson and Brett Lee. A great asset to your attack having an express bowler to call on when the skipper wants some feathers ruffled.
How fast is that compared to Mitchell Johnson?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Johnson was about 140/145kph. But woefully inaccurate due to his odd dropped shoulder action.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Johnson was about 140/145kph. But woefully inaccurate due to his odd dropped shoulder action.
Express pace, between 145-150kph, with the engine to crank it up to 155kph or even further. Two of our past express men were Jeff Thomson and Brett Lee. Is a great asset to your attack having an express bowler to call on when the skipper wants some feathers ruffled.
How does it compare with Brett Lee?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
How does it compare with Brett Lee?
Lee averaged 145kph I'd say, but could crank it up 10clicks faster.. depending on the conditions and his own fitness. I expect Morris will do similar. Morris was exceptional yesterday. Quick accurate and deadly. Took 5 for 36, that equates to a strike rate of 20 or a wicket every 20 balls plus an economy rate of 2. That is Test class in any ones language.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Australia's fastest ever bowler was Jeff Thomson. He and Dennis Lillee terrorized the Poms in the '74/75 series. He was once clocked at 160kph. He was fearsome. Thomson is on record as saying "I enjoy hitting a batsman more than getting him out. I like to see blood on the pitch".

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Lee averaged 145kph I'd say, but could crank it up 10clicks faster.. depending on the conditions and his own fitness. I expect Morris will do similar. Morris was exceptional yesterday. Quick accurate and deadly. Took 5 for 36, that equates to a strike rate of 20 or a wicket every 20 balls plus an economy rate of 2. That is Test class in any ones language.
Interesting. I always assumed Mitchell Johnson was faster than Brett Lee.