STATE SHIELD CRICKET '22/23.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Someone asked me about our next generation Test players. In my humble view we witnessed the emergence of one yesterday. Teague Wyllie,18, became the youngest batsman to score a Shield century since Ricky Ponting some 30 years ago.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I always assumed Mitchell Johnson was faster than Brett Lee.
He may well have been in the summer of 2014/15 when he single handedly smashed the Poms in the Ashes. It was Mitch's moment of glory in a topsy turvy career.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Bulls roared Tigers were toothless.

Sth Aussies blown away by the Vics. Henry Hunt did his best to avoid the inevitable.
I have Hunt as a future Test opener.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt yes. Green will be in the middle order in Test cricket. Other openers vying for a spot are Bryce Street (Qld), Tim Ward (Tassie) and Will Pucovski (Vic).
Remember Adam Gilchrist? An aggressive opener who went for his runs and came up trumps a very large % of the time. If Hunt was mentally mature enough to bat the entire day for 329!!! maybe an agressive opening partner like Green would suit him well.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt was mentally mature enough to bat the entire day for 329!!! maybe an agressive opening partner like Green would suit him well.
Thats a good point. Davey Warner played that aggressive role past decade for us. Not Green tho. He has the same mental stamina as Hunt. You have only seen him in white ball where you need to be aggressive. Green will be in my middle order in a future younger Test X1.
Looking 5 years (perhaps sooner) down the track given Steve Smith has retired.. my Test TOP 6 .
Henry Hunt (SA)
Tim Ward (TAS)
Will Pucovski (VIC)
Cameron Green (WA)
Teague Wyllie (WA)
Aaron Hardie.(WA)

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Thats a good point. Davey Warner played that aggressive role past decade for us. Not Green tho. He has the same mental stamina as Hunt. You have only seen him in white ball where you need to be aggressive. Green will be in my middle order in a future younger Test X1.
Looking 5 years (perhaps sooner) down the track given Steve Smith has retired.. my Test TOP 6 .
Henry Hunt (SA)
Tim Ward (TAS)
Will Pucovski (VIC)
Cameron Green (WA)
Teague Wyllie (WA)
Aaron Hardie.(WA)
Top 6 batsmen and none from NSW?

BTW did you know, even though he played his entire career for .....(WA wasn't it?), Adam Gilchrist was born and raised in NSW?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Top 6 batsmen and none from NSW?

BTW did you know, even though he played his entire career for .....(WA wasn't it?), Adam Gilchrist was born and raised in NSW?
Henry Hunt born country NSW and Tim Ward Sydney- born. Both played almost all their cricket in the local comp before our state selectors ignored them forcing a move interstate.

Yep. Lismore.. north coast to be precise.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
ROUND #3

Being played on Tassies home ground.. Bellerive Oval. I watched three state games from there back in 2019.. gives you a good vantage point as the stands are small and closer to the play. Without Will Pucovski for the Vics I am picking Tassie.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup

This is proving to be a good match with the Blues just holding the upper hand on the morning of last day.
Noticing some reverse swing from this abrasive pitch that has accounted for three of our batsmen before lunch. The last being Jason Sangha with a good 41 to go with his first innings 50. I expect our skipper Patterson will be looking at about a 220/240 lead before declaring.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

This is proving to be a good match with the Blues just holding the upper hand on the morning of last day.
Noticing some reverse swing from this abrasive pitch that has accounted for three of our batsmen before lunch. The last being Jason Sangha with a good 41 to go with his first innings 50. I expect our skipper Patterson will be looking at about a 220/240 lead before declaring.
Is Lyon still a regular in the Aus test team? I haven't been following test cricket for a while.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Is Lyon still a regular in the Aus test team? I haven't been following test cricket for a while.
Yeh mate. Getting a bit long in the tooth but selectors still prefer him to any other spinner.

Blues innings closed 40 runs too many to force a run chase imo. Has now spoiled what may have been an exciting finish.

Lack of respect shown to Chris Tremain in not opening the bowling. Talking about a man with 270 First Class wickets compared to 102 by Sean Abbott.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Yeh mate. Getting a bit long in the tooth but selectors still prefer him to any other spinner.

Blues innings closed 40 runs too many to force a run chase imo. Has now spoiled what may have been an exciting finish.

Lack of respect shown to Chris Tremain in not opening the bowling. Talking about a man with 270 First Class wickets compared to 102 by Sean Abbott.
I know you mentioned a good, young leg-spinner a while ago. How is he travelling at the moment? Any closer to being selected for Australia?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I know you mentioned a good, young leg-spinner a while ago. How is he travelling at the moment? Any closer to being selected for Australia?
Was it Tanveer Sangha. If him he is having time out.. not sure if it is injury related or not. Selectors tend to not rush wrist spinners into international cricket as they need longer to hone skills than a finger spinner.