Community High Performance Centre (CHPC)

Saints94

SGI Junior League
Hi Guys, I'm wanting to know Dragons fans thoughts on the Community High Performance Centre (CHPC) being based in Wollongong?

It will mean all Dragons activities, admin and football related being moved to Wollongong and away from the St George region in Sydney.

I think the Dragons should keep a relationship with the Illawarra but should be based out of the St George region.

The Illawarra Steelers as a club have folded, St George bailed them out and WIN corporation bought the Steelers out.

Most Dragons fans are based out of St George and the surrounding areas in Sydney and Sydney is where all the sponsorship dollars are generated.

A move away from St George and Sydney in general could be detrimental to the Dragons by driving away so much of its supporters. The South Coast covers are large physical area but the population is small and doesn't generate much money at all, again, the Illawarra Steelers club died and Illawarra as a club pushed to merge with St George to survive, they could never do it alone.

St George and the surrounding regions in Sydney is where most supprters are and is where you can generate more support moving into the future. It is also where the foundations of the powerful and very famous St George brand was developed.

Being based in Sydney is critical and I'm wondering if as many of us Dragons supporters can come together and try to make a push for the Dragons to move back to Sydney and base its CHPC and all activities in the St George region due to the vital importance of the area.

I think it's crucial if we can come together as fans to make the club understand the importance of being based in Sydney.

I'd love to know the thoughts of everyone here?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Hi Guys, I'm wanting to know Dragons fans thoughts on the Community High Performance Centre (CHPC) being based in Wollongong?

It will mean all Dragons activities, admin and football related being moved to Wollongong and away from the St George region in Sydney.

I think the Dragons should keep a relationship with the Illawarra but should be based out of the St George region.

The Illawarra Steelers as a club have folded, St George bailed them out and WIN corporation bought the Steelers out.

Most Dragons fans are based out of St George and the surrounding areas in Sydney and Sydney is where all the sponsorship dollars are generated.

A move away from St George and Sydney in general could be detrimental to the Dragons by driving away so much of its supporters. The South Coast covers are large physical area but the population is small and doesn't generate much money at all, again, the Illawarra Steelers club died and Illawarra as a club pushed to merge with St George to survive, they could never do it alone.

St George and the surrounding regions in Sydney is where most supprters are and is where you can generate more support moving into the future. It is also where the foundations of the powerful and very famous St George brand was developed.

Being based in Sydney is critical and I'm wondering if as many of us Dragons supporters can come together and try to make a push for the Dragons to move back to Sydney and base its CHPC and all activities in the St George region due to the vital importance of the area.

I think it's crucial if we can come together as fans to make the club understand the importance of being based in Sydney.

Cost benefit. I'm in Sydney so I only know of it, not any details. As far as I know, they are still going to be sharing it with the University of Wollongong. Is that right? Not a bad thing. I think almost every club has its own 'high performance centre' these days.

Eric

Staff

This just keeps coming up. I live in the Gong but was a Dragons supporter from before the merger. So I understand and agree with the emotions but it's just not practical. It's never going to happen and it shouldn't. The Sydney market is saturated. Illawarra and the immediate surrounding areas have a population of over 500k. Obviously Broncos, maybe Newcastle and NQ have a greater supporter base but that would be all, wouldn't it?

Need to let nature take its course, maybe give it a push where possible, and get the Shonkies kicked out of the competition or relocated to Perth. That will be the makings of the Dragons becoming a southern Sydney - South Coast superpower.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
This just keeps coming up. I live in the Gong but was a Dragons supporter from before the merger. So I understand and agree with the emotions but it's just not practical. It's never going to happen and it shouldn't. The Sydney market is saturated. Illawarra and the immediate surrounding areas have a population of over 500k. Obviously Broncos, maybe Newcastle and NQ have a greater supporter base but that would be all, wouldn't it?

Need to let nature take its course, maybe give it a push where possible, and get the Shonkies kicked out of the competition or relocated to Perth. That will be the makings of the Dragons becoming a southern Sydney - South Coast superpower.
Now the high performance centre is being built to house not only training facilities but also for the club admin, this is done. The team base / training facilities is never moving back to Kogarah. And if or when the Shonkies are gone, somewhere closer to Sydney would be good but there nowhere possible for that between Sydney and Wollongong.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Now the high performance centre is being built to house not only training facilities but also for the club admin, this is done. The team base / training facilities is never moving back to Kogarah. And if or when the Shonkies are gone, somewhere closer to Sydney would be good but there nowhere possible for that between Sydney and Wollongong.
When is it supposed to be finished?

Saints94

SGI Junior League
Cost benefit. I'm in Sydney so I only know of it, not any details. As far as I know, they are still going to be sharing it with the University of Wollongong. Is that right? Not a bad thing. I think almost every club has its own 'high performance centre' these days.
They do have a link with UOW and I do agree that it's a great idea and something they should do.
My problem is that Illawarra doesn't seem like a suitable region to be base your entire football club, as demonstrated by the Steelers, they were always a weak club financially, they pushed for the merger with St George and post merger they still folded and had to be bought out by WIN.

The St George region has more fans, more potential fans and sponsorship which means more money. It's also in Sydney and a region where most players want to live as it provides great general opportunities.
I feel like a total move away could end up killing the club.

Saints94

SGI Junior League

I do agree that it would be great for the Dragons if they absorbed Cronulla-Sutherland.

In terms of the Sydney market, St George are the dominant, if not, top 2 or 3 dominant rugby league brands in Sydney and potentially in Rugby league.

There should be a presence in the Illawarra no doubt but most fans, potential fans and money is in Sydney, the Dragons already have a massive footprint in Sydney so why not grow the core of your business there and increase your dominance?

My concern with Illawarra is that it's too small for a powerful club like the Dragons to be based. As demonstrated by the Steelers, they folded even after the merger, the Illawarra doesn't have enough people or money.

Yes, all the clubs you mentioned cover larger areas but the dominant Sydney clubs like St George have fans all throughout Sydney, not just St George and being in Sydney gives access to millions of people across the city and more money to help grow the club.

I agree the Dragons should be a Sydney-South's Coast super power but to do that it's Sydney base can't be neglected.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
They do have a link with UOW and I do agree that it's a great idea and something they should do.
My problem is that Illawarra doesn't seem like a suitable region to be base your entire football club, as demonstrated by the Steelers, they were always a weak club financially, they pushed for the merger with St George and post merger they still folded and had to be bought out by WIN.

The St George region has more fans, more potential fans and sponsorship which means more money. It's also in Sydney and a region where most players want to live as it provides great general opportunities.
I feel like a total move away could end up killing the club.
One thing that hasn't done us much good recently but something which will surely benefit the club long into the future is the junior nursery of Illawarra.

The traditional St. George junior nursery just won't cut it in this competition.

Eric

Staff
I do agree that it would be great for the Dragons if they absorbed Cronulla-Sutherland.

In terms of the Sydney market, St George are the dominant, if not, top 2 or 3 dominant rugby league brands in Sydney and potentially in Rugby league.

There should be a presence in the Illawarra no doubt but most fans, potential fans and money is in Sydney, the Dragons already have a massive footprint in Sydney so why not grow the core of your business there and increase your dominance?

My concern with Illawarra is that it's too small for a powerful club like the Dragons to be based. As demonstrated by the Steelers, they folded even after the merger, the Illawarra doesn't have enough people or money.

Yes, all the clubs you mentioned cover larger areas but the dominant Sydney clubs like St George have fans all throughout Sydney, not just St George and being in Sydney gives access to millions of people across the city and more money to help grow the club.

I agree the Dragons should be a Sydney-South's Coast super power but to do that it's Sydney base can't be neglected.
Firstly, let me reiterate I'm a St George supporter first and foremost. But why do you say most potential fans are in Sydney? I think this is just untrue unless Rorters and Cronulla or Bullgrubs and Cronulla are forced out. Either relocate or just out.

As is, Illawarra has a far larger potential supporter base.

Saints94

SGI Junior League
True, most of the Juniors will come from the Illawarra and its a reason it should be embraced but two of the most of successful clubs have produced no Juniors - Roosters and Melbourne. The Saints have won 1 premiership in the past 20 years and in the past 10 made the finals twice - it takes more than just Juniors to be successful.

What's more important is how successfully a club is run and the St George brand was built in Sydney and grew from there, the Illawarra Steelers folded and were bought out by WIN, it doesn't have the population or money to sustain a major club like St George can.

Also St George never fully relied on its region to produce players, the Illawarra has produced players for St george throughout its history with guys like Graeme Langlands, Steve Morris and Craig Young. Having a base in Sydney where most fans are and money is has helped the club become the famous brand that it is today.

Eric

Staff
True, most of the Juniors will come from the Illawarra and its a reason it should be embraced but two of the most of successful clubs have produced no Juniors - Roosters and Melbourne. The Saints have won 1 premiership in the past 20 years and in the past 10 made the finals twice - it takes more than just Juniors to be successful.

What's more important is how successfully a club is run and the St George brand was built in Sydney and grew from there, the Illawarra Steelers folded and were bought out by WIN, it doesn't have the population or money to sustain a major club like St George can.

Also St George never fully relied on its region to produce players, the Illawarra has produced players for St george throughout its history with guys like Graeme Langlands, Steve Morris and Craig Young. Having a base in Sydney where most fans are and money is has helped the club become the famous brand that it is today.
Melbourne need to be in to make it a national competition but after Politis is gone, I'd be nervous for the future if I was one of the few Rorters supporters.

Saints94

SGI Junior League
Firstly, let me reiterate I'm a St George supporter first and foremost. But why do you say most potential fans are in Sydney? I think this is just untrue unless Rorters and Cronulla or Bullgrubs and Cronulla are forced out. Either relocate or just out.

As is, Illawarra has a far larger potential supporter base.
I say most potential fans because Sydney has a population of over 5 million people and the St George region borders the dogs, souths, cronulla, West's and is only about a 30 minute drive from Parra and Roosters territory. The areas are so close that being based in St George gives you easy access to people and major companies all across Sydney.

You also already have St George fans all across Sydney and millions of people who could be potential fans inside or within 5-30 minutes from the St George region.

The Illawarra has a population of 300 thousand people - the Steelers have folded as a club and have been bought out by WIN, it shows that it doesn't have the population to fully support a major club like the Dragons.

It should be embraced as a junior nursery but it doesn't make sense to neglect your Sydney base for the Illawarra.

Eric

Staff

We were discussing this a few weeks ago. There was a huge media outcry because they don't want the Dragons to be successful but dropping the Illawarra part of the name is something I support 200%.

Eric

Staff
I say most potential fans because Sydney has a population of over 5 million people and the St George region borders the dogs, souths, cronulla, West's and is only about a 30 minute drive from Parra and Roosters territory. The areas are so close that being based in St George gives you easy access to people and major companies all across Sydney.

You also already have St George fans all across Sydney and millions of people who could be potential fans inside or within 5-30 minutes from the St George region.

The Illawarra has a population of 300 thousand people - the Steelers have folded as a club and have been bought out by WIN, it shows that it doesn't have the population to fully support a major club like the Dragons.

It should be embraced as a junior nursery but it doesn't make sense to neglect your Sydney base for the Illawarra.
I think Illawarra has a population a little over 500k.

Saints94

SGI Junior League
Melbourne need to be in to make it a national competition but after Politis is gone, I'd be nervous for the future if I was one of the few Rorters supporters.
Possibly in terms of the Rorters but both clubs have dominated now for 20 years.

Saints94

SGI Junior League
I think Illawarra has a population a little over 500k.
Ok but still a major difference, an extra 4.5 million people plus many more major companies available to supply sponsorship dollars compared to the Illawarra which doesn't have much in the way of sponsorship opportunities.

Eric

Staff
Possibly in terms of the Rorters but both clubs have dominated now for 20 years.
That's true. But the way I look at it is that Illawarra ensures the future of St George Dragons. Without the Illawarra, the team may have been much more successful but the club could no longer support the team.

Eric

Staff
Ok but still a major difference, an extra 4.5 million people plus many more major companies available to supply sponsorship dollars compared to the Illawarra which doesn't have much in the way of sponsorship opportunities.
And competing with 8 or 9 other clubs.

Saints94

SGI Junior League
And competing with 8 or 9 other clubs.
Yes but this is where their brand comes into it, the Dragons are more popular than most Sydney clubs, there might be 1 or 2 who rival that. That's why I think they should use its brand to grow that dominance in Sydney while at the same time focussing on the South Coast, which is a smaller region and wouldn't take as much effort to sustain.

The Dragons have fans all over Sydney and they should keep using it to their advantage.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Interesting discussion. Personally I'm neutral. St. George has the money and Illawarra has the players. I don't mind the merged entity. Almost all the players live in Illawarra. The cheaper prices should give the club a salary cap advantage.