Example of a club united v ours

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The sharkies, our little brothers, well they were in my day are a wonderful example of being a team united, having a great team and club culture ( believe me this is very hard to say) vrs our divided totally hopeless current club and team culture. The whole backline are off contract at the end of the season. 5 players Kennedy, Ramien, Kanoa, Talakai and Mulitano have approached the club and advised them that all are willing to take a pay cut to remain together as they believe that they will be able to deliver another premiership in the next few years. Plus they believe in their new coach and want to be coached by him. Bloody big difference sadly 😥

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
The sharkies, our little brothers, well they were in my day are a wonderful example of being a team united, having a great team and club culture ( believe me this is very hard to say) vrs our divided totally hopeless current club and team culture. The whole backline are off contract at the end of the season. 5 players Kennedy, Ramien, Kanoa, Talakai and Mulitano have approached the club and advised them that all are willing to take a pay cut to remain together as they believe that they will be able to deliver another premiership in the next few years. Plus they believe in their new coach and want to be coached by him. Bloody big difference sadly 😥
Good for them. Whose fault is it we don't have that at the Dragons? Is it because Ben Hunt is on so much money than the rest?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
It's certainly good for the club and suggests a team united but I don't think they are going to deliver a premiership. But good for them they have a high opinion of their coach. Dragons aren't likely to have that under the current coach.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It's certainly good for the club and suggests a team united but I don't think they are going to deliver a premiership. But good for them they have a high opinion of their coach. Dragons aren't likely to have that under the current coach.
Agree

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Good for them. Whose fault is it we don't have that at the Dragons? Is it because Ben Hunt is on so much money than the rest?
The clubs divided no faith in the coach, no pathway for our juniors not so much about our marquee player Hunt but that may change if he continues to be paying overs.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The clubs divided no faith in the coach, no pathway for our juniors not so much about our marquee player Hunt but that may change if he continues to be paying overs.
Maybe that's what all the sackings have been about. I think they need to sack the head coach and if Hunt is staying, he'll have to be on far less. Then a better pathway for juniors. There should be only one big name recruit from the outside every 2 or 3 years. That's the case with all the teams going best at present. But this coach does nothing but recruit from outside! This one and the last 2 before him.

Eric

Staff
The good news is that that drug cheating, salary cap cheating club is heavily reliant on inflated property prices to stay afloat.

Rising interest rates might have the passing the hat around to merely survive. Personally I wish them well and think they'll become a financial powerhouse as the Perth Sharks.

Eric

Staff
An example of everything a good, well-managed club wouldn't do.

A terrible story in the DT regarding Jack Gosiweski.
Basically:
  • He was named to start in the round 11 game vs the Warriors. It was on a Saturday.
  • On the Friday his partner was admitted to hospital due to complications of child birth which she wanted to do from home.
  • She ended up getting a C section.
  • Obviously Jack had other things in his mind rather than a mid season clash with a struggling team. He took the game off to be with his Mrs in hospital.
  • He never came close to getting picked in the NRL for the rest of the season. He said he was never even in the top 22.
  • His form in NSW Cup was good. Everyone said it including Griffin but still, never came close to being picked in the NRL the rest of the year.
  • He strongly suspects because the coach was angry about him taking the game off to be by his Mrs and new born baby in hospital.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
T

Basically:
  • He was named to start in the round 11 game vs the Warriors. It was on a Saturday.
  • On the Friday his partner was admitted to hospital due to complications of child birth which she wanted to do from home.
  • Obviously Jack had other things in his mind rather than a mid season clash with a struggling team. He took the game off to be with his Mrs in hospital.
  • He never came close to getting picked in the NRL for the rest of the season. He said he was never even in the top 22.
  • His form in NSW Cup was good. Everyone said it including Griffin but still, never came close to being picked in the NRL the rest of the year.
  • He strongly suspects because the coach was angry about him taking the game off to be by his Mrs and new born baby in hospital.
That is the definition of an old school coach. I did mention that there must have been something happen that personally offended the coach

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Basically:
This is something that:
A) Surely can't be true.
B) Something the club must respond to ASAP.

Can you imagine what players who the club is trying to recruit think after reading that? What about the NRLW players???

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
That is the definition of an old school coach. I did mention that there must have been something happen that personally offended the coach
Can't agree with you there. Old school coaches like Bennett and Belamy would more likely tell him to stay at the hospital and forget all about the game and training on Monday. If all's well, see you on Tuesday.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
This is something that:
A) Surely can't be true.
B) Something the club must respond to ASAP.

Can you imagine what players who the club is trying to recruit think after reading that? What about the NRLW players???
It fits the bill of an old school coach

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Can't agree with you there. Old school coaches like Bennett and Belamy would more likely tell him to stay at the hospital and forget all about the game and training on Monday. If all's well, see you on Tuesday.
Griffin is not a Bellamy and most certainly is not a Bennett. Not many people outside the inner sanctum know that Bennett self invested in his players . He gave and had a persona of being a tough no nonsense coach when in fact I can tell you he had a heart of gold when it came to the players and their families. Griffin has not displayed any of the qualities that the 2 coaches you have mentioned have shown. Old school coaches differ in personal ways you can't tar them with the same brush . Just my views.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Griffin is not a Bellamy and most certainly is not a Bennett. Not many people outside the inner sanctum know that Bennett self invested in his players . He gave and had a persona of being a tough no nonsense coach when in fact I can tell you he had a heart of gold when it came to the players and their families. Griffin has not displayed any of the qualities that the 2 coaches you have mentioned have shown. Old school coaches differ in personal ways you can't tar them with the same brush . Just my views.
So apart from Griffin, who is an old school coach still coaching now?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Bellamy and Bennett
So we have come full circle. As I said, my understanding of typical an "old school" coach, like Bellamy or Bennett is that he would have told Gosiewski to forget about the game this weekend, stay with his wife and newborn and if everything goes smoothly and she is released from hospital, see you at training on Tuesday.

Griffin strikes me as being anti-social and bitter about something but not especially, "old school" other than the possibility his ideas and tactics are much more suited to an earlier era.

Eric

Staff
I did mention that there must have been something happen that personally offended the coach
Still no denial or any kind of retort from the club. Seems to be true.
So we have come full circle. As I said, my understanding of typical an "old school" coach, like Bellamy or Bennett is that he would have told Gosiewski to forget about the game this weekend, stay with his wife and newborn and if everything goes smoothly and she is released from hospital, see you at training on Tuesday.

Griffin strikes me as being anti-social and bitter about something but not especially, "old school" other than the possibility his ideas and tactics are much more suited to an earlier era.
When deicing whether or not to sack him, Ryan Webb and Craig Young sat down and went over a check list:
  • Anti-social? - Check
  • Bitter? - Check
  • Tactics not suited to the modern game? - Check
Then one of them says: "So obviously we should keep him on." The other nods.

Eric

Staff
Things are going so badly, no news is good news.
Day's not over yet....

A few things going on.
  • QLD Cup player dying.
  • Hopoate jailed.
  • DCE seemingly on the way out of the Australian team.
  • jodragon40 jodragon40 scouting for talent in Europe (again:cautious:)
But after all that, still no word from the anyone at the club regarding the accusations of Jack Gosiewski against the coach. It must be true and now it's that much harder to lure anyone but fringe first graders to the club.

Last edited: