Fullback

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Anyone seen any pics of Sloan taken this year? Apparently he has packed on muscle and gotten faster. And he was already fast. He defiantly need to pack on some muscle.
Video on the website but can't really tell how much weight he has put on from that.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He was recalled once. Or twice if you count playing him on the wing. Which was really curious in and of itself. Anyway, I can't remember what round but I think just before Origin and against Parramatta (I could be wrong). He was recalled to fullback on short notice in howling wind and pouring rain. He had a lot of trouble under the high ball but apart from that, wasn't that bad. He looked like the most likely when he got the ball in his hands with a bit of room.

That wasn't the only game I watched that day or that weekend. Tedesco for one also had a nightmare day under the high ball that weekend. Pouring rain and howling wind. Of course it was hard for fullbacks. But of course Sloan was promptly dropped again.

I think it was Jo Dragon who at the time said that it seems Griffin has something personal against Sloan.
I did and he does no doubt in my mind

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He did. All involved seem to be insisting they have worked things out.
The on field performances and the selection process will give us all a clearer indication. Don't be surprised to see Sloan go when he becomes a free agent especially if hook is still coaching

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The on field performances and the selection process will give us all a clearer indication. Don't be surprised to see Sloan go when he becomes a free agent especially if hook is still coaching
If Hook is still coaching, I think you might see a few young players go.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
No pressure on Sloan.....

‘Phenomenal’ pre-season signs Tyrell Sloan will be key to Dragons’ success this year​

It only took three games for rising star Tyrell Sloan to be axed by Anthony Griffin last season — but the fullback will play a key role in the Dragons’ success this year. That’s according to veteran prop Aaron Woods, who said his 20-year-old teammate has been “phenomenal” this summer, taking the demons of his 2022 campaign in his stride. Griffin’s decision to drop Sloan came after a disastrous performance in wet conditions against the Sharks as they were thumped 36-12 by their cross-town rivals.

The move was met with heavy criticism, but Griffin was adamant he was only taking care of his young talent who has a massive future in the NRL. It would have been easy for Sloan to kick stones and leave, with Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett circling the young gun, but instead he returned with a renewed focus in 2023.

“He’s come back in really good knick, there was a lot of pressure on him in the off-season, is he going to be here, is he not, obviously Wayne was sniffing around trying to get him to Redcliffe,” Woods said. “But to his credit, he’s come back flying, he’s winning fitness, he looks bigger, he’s starting to go from that kid’s body to a man’s body. “And his attention to detail has just been phenomenal, last year he was probably happy to be here, but this year you can really see he wants that No.1 jersey.”

Veteran utility Moses Mbye, who was handed the No.1 jersey after Sloan’s early axing, echoed his teammate’s opinion. “He’s come in with a really good attitude, he kind of felt a little bit hard-done by last year in a couple of areas, but I think he has really narrowed his focus,” Mbye said. “He’s realised that he has got a great opportunity at his feet, and he is really up for it, he’s been super impressive around his training.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A really long article. See the whole thing here:

Eric

Staff

‘Phenomenal’ pre-season signs Tyrell Sloan will be key to Dragons’ success this year​

It only took three games for rising star Tyrell Sloan to be axed by Anthony Griffin last season — but the fullback will play a key role in the Dragons’ success this year. That’s according to veteran prop Aaron Woods, who said his 20-year-old teammate has been “phenomenal” this summer, taking the demons of his 2022 campaign in his stride. Griffin’s decision to drop Sloan came after a disastrous performance in wet conditions against the Sharks as they were thumped 36-12 by their cross-town rivals.

The move was met with heavy criticism, but Griffin was adamant he was only taking care of his young talent who has a massive future in the NRL. It would have been easy for Sloan to kick stones and leave, with Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett circling the young gun, but instead he returned with a renewed focus in 2023.

“He’s come back in really good knick, there was a lot of pressure on him in the off-season, is he going to be here, is he not, obviously Wayne was sniffing around trying to get him to Redcliffe,” Woods said. “But to his credit, he’s come back flying, he’s winning fitness, he looks bigger, he’s starting to go from that kid’s body to a man’s body. “And his attention to detail has just been phenomenal, last year he was probably happy to be here, but this year you can really see he wants that No.1 jersey.”

Veteran utility Moses Mbye, who was handed the No.1 jersey after Sloan’s early axing, echoed his teammate’s opinion. “He’s come in with a really good attitude, he kind of felt a little bit hard-done by last year in a couple of areas, but I think he has really narrowed his focus,” Mbye said. “He’s realised that he has got a great opportunity at his feet, and he is really up for it, he’s been super impressive around his training.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Just getting us ready for failure because Sloan isn't tearing the rest of the competition apart? BTW is that "_______________" an underbar over and over. If you look at the tools at the top of this message starting with the eraser followed by "B" finishing with 3 vertical dots, click those three vertical blocks and you'll see "__". Click that for a horizontal bar like this:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Honestly if our forwards don't step up it won't matter. I'm hoping that because the forwards have copped it all off season for being soft and back peddling that may fire them up for a reasonable start to the season. We have the bye, followed by the Titans, Broncos, Sharks, Dolphins, and then the Titans again so after 6 rounds we could be on 6 pts perhaps. If the Titans knock us off twice early on in the season we are in deep trouble. Time will tell

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Honestly if our forwards don't step up it won't matter. I'm hoping that because the forwards have copped it all off season for being soft and back peddling that may fire them up for a reasonable start to the season.
I wonder why they seemingly haven't even attempted to do anything about the weak forward pack.
We have the bye, followed by the Titans, Broncos, Sharks, Dolphins, and then the Titans again so after 6 rounds we could be on 6 pts perhaps. If the Titans knock us off twice early on in the season we are in deep trouble. Time will tell
That's a pretty nice draw. If they win most of those games, with the bye it'll be a good start to the season. If they lose most, I think Griffin will get the sack before round 8.

Eric

Staff

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA TO BLAME FOR SLOAN SHOCKER

Coach Griffin has made a rod for his own back with his tough love development of Tyrell Sloan. As sad as it was watching the young Dragon burst into tears after his Charity Shield shocker, you just can’t hide from the fact rival teams will feed off that and make Sloan an even bigger target when the fair dinkum comp gets going.

And while Griffin has come out and vowed to support Sloan through it, that is only due to the fact the Dragons don’t have another serious option to play fullback with Cody Ramsey out for the season. But what if the Dragons had shown Sloan more faith last year instead of sending him back to NSW Cup, would he be in such a vulnerable position now?

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yep should have been used last year more to get ready for this year as the same for Sullivan and throw in Salior as well and he might have stayed .....

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Yep should have been used last year more to get ready for this year as the same for Sullivan and throw in Salior as well and he might have stayed .....
Even Damien Cook said it after fulltime live on TV in regard to Sloan. I've never seen a rival player cast doubt on the coaches selections before. Not a player retired 3 years ago but a current player! How little respect the competition has for Hook! And I might add, Jackson Ford played quite well for the Warriors yesterday.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

SLOAN EMOTIONAL AS GRIFFIN FACES NO.1 CALL

Tyrell Sloan was consoled by Latrell Mitchell at the end of the Charity Shield as he broke down after a tough afternoon at fullback. Sloan is the Dragons’ first choice No.1 after Cody Ramsey was ruled out for the season due to an illness — but coach Anthony Griffin might have weigh up his options after an error-riddled performance.

Sloan finished the game with three errors, but his first was the most costly. He knocked-on a Cody Walker bomb and then couldn’t make up for it defensively as the Rabbitohs scored straight off the scrum. “That’s the part where Tyrell Sloan needs to improve,” expert analyst Cooper Cronk said in commentary.

“Fullbacks these days need to be consistent under the high ball, carry the ball hard and tough, but also marshall the defence. If the Dragons improve this year, Tyrell Sloan is going to have to be the main man defensively. “I dare say that is Tyrell Sloan’s position to get in across from the back of the scrum. That is poor reaction from the Dragons’ forwards, in particular Tyrell Sloan defending at lock in the scrum.”

Things didn’t get any better for Sloan later in the first half as he dropped another high ball. “The confidence is gone for Tyrell Sloan, that was the easiest one and (he was) just nowhere near it,” Fox League commentator Dan Ginnane said.

Cronk added: “Fullbacks have got to take these catches.” Sloan showed some spark in attack as the game went on but his first half in particular will leave Anthony Griffin with a lot to consider. “He’s improved in different places but he still needs to be more consistent,” Cronk said. As for Griffin’s other options at fullback, he doesn’t have many.

Sloan’s SG Ball premiership-winning teammate Treigh Stewart got an opportunity in the first trial but still looks a bit off first grade. Moses Mbye has played 47 games there throughout his career, but he may be called on to play five-eighth while Talatau Amone is stood down. Then there’s Jack Bird, who spent time in the Dragons’ No.1 jersey in 2021, but he has a knee injury and is no certainty to be right for Round 2.

Rabbitohs star Damien Cook went in for bat for Sloan though in a post-game interview, showing his support for him to nail down the fullback role. “Sloan was a bit emotional but he's worked so hard to be where he is at the moment,” Cook said. “I think he’s a very talented player with a lot of skill and I thought he should have played a lot more footy last year. “I think he’s going to play a lot more this year and really cement that spot for the Dragons.”

If it wasn't for his emotional response after the game, which was probably as a result of personal business not related to the game, I don't think he would have gotten near this much media attention. Dropped 2 bombs and was out of position which led to a try. Not the end of the world or the worst game ever played.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg

SLOAN EMOTIONAL AS GRIFFIN FACES NO.1 CALL

Tyrell Sloan was consoled by Latrell Mitchell at the end of the Charity Shield as he broke down after a tough afternoon at fullback. Sloan is the Dragons’ first choice No.1 after Cody Ramsey was ruled out for the season due to an illness — but coach Anthony Griffin might have weigh up his options after an error-riddled performance.

Sloan finished the game with three errors, but his first was the most costly. He knocked-on a Cody Walker bomb and then couldn’t make up for it defensively as the Rabbitohs scored straight off the scrum. “That’s the part where Tyrell Sloan needs to improve,” expert analyst Cooper Cronk said in commentary.

“Fullbacks these days need to be consistent under the high ball, carry the ball hard and tough, but also marshall the defence. If the Dragons improve this year, Tyrell Sloan is going to have to be the main man defensively. “I dare say that is Tyrell Sloan’s position to get in across from the back of the scrum. That is poor reaction from the Dragons’ forwards, in particular Tyrell Sloan defending at lock in the scrum.”

Things didn’t get any better for Sloan later in the first half as he dropped another high ball. “The confidence is gone for Tyrell Sloan, that was the easiest one and (he was) just nowhere near it,” Fox League commentator Dan Ginnane said.

Cronk added: “Fullbacks have got to take these catches.” Sloan showed some spark in attack as the game went on but his first half in particular will leave Anthony Griffin with a lot to consider. “He’s improved in different places but he still needs to be more consistent,” Cronk said. As for Griffin’s other options at fullback, he doesn’t have many.

Sloan’s SG Ball premiership-winning teammate Treigh Stewart got an opportunity in the first trial but still looks a bit off first grade. Moses Mbye has played 47 games there throughout his career, but he may be called on to play five-eighth while Talatau Amone is stood down. Then there’s Jack Bird, who spent time in the Dragons’ No.1 jersey in 2021, but he has a knee injury and is no certainty to be right for Round 2.

Rabbitohs star Damien Cook went in for bat for Sloan though in a post-game interview, showing his support for him to nail down the fullback role. “Sloan was a bit emotional but he's worked so hard to be where he is at the moment,” Cook said. “I think he’s a very talented player with a lot of skill and I thought he should have played a lot more footy last year. “I think he’s going to play a lot more this year and really cement that spot for the Dragons.”

If it wasn't for his emotional response after the game, which was probably as a result of personal business not related to the game, I don't think he would have gotten near this much media attention. Dropped 2 bombs and was out of position which led to a try. Not the end of the world or the worst game ever played.
Yep what about the rest of them soft tries through the middle, they all should be crying 😢 ..... Not just Sloan .......