Fullback

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sloan was a late inclusion at fullback on a day when there was a howling wind and driving rain. Not sure why the coach thought those conditions would suit him better than the more experienced Mbye. I think Ramsey was out injured.
So he could make a point and drop him , because he was never going to use him .... Instead of helping the kid , and show faith he dropped him and left him there ..... No wonder he wanted out ......

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
So he could make a point and drop him , because he was never going to use him .... Instead of helping the kid , and show faith he dropped him and left him there ..... No wonder he wanted out ......
Really seems to be something personal between those two.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Encouraging write up about Sloan.

Tyrell on verge of something special​

“It’s difficult to come in to first grade and be consistent. A lot of guys that come in will fluctuate with their form and understanding of the game,” Mbye said. “I think Sloany has been going through that himself but he has matured a lot compared to when he came back in last summer. “He has come in with a really good attitude and he has matured physically as well – he’s a lot bigger and stronger and quicker.

He was already very quick. He's never going to be another Inglis but he needed to get bigger and stronger and on that frame, no reason he couldn't. Now it seems he has. Finally some good news! And Mbye says, "a lot bigger and stronger".

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

“It’s difficult to come in to first grade and be consistent. A lot of guys that come in will fluctuate with their form and understanding of the game,” Mbye said. “I think Sloany has been going through that himself but he has matured a lot compared to when he came back in last summer. “He has come in with a really good attitude and he has matured physically as well – he’s a lot bigger and stronger and quicker.

He was already very quick. He's never going to be another Inglis but he needed to get bigger and stronger and on that frame, no reason he couldn't. Now it seems he has. Finally some good news! And Mbye says, "a lot bigger and stronger".
Now if only our forward pack gives him a chance to shine by making the advantage line consistently otherwise it won't matter I'm afraid

Eric

Staff

He will still need 2 of the 3 remaining spots to go to good forwards. Not aging journeymen.

Eric

Staff

Players Under Pressure

ST. GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Tyrell Sloan

If Tyrell Sloan doesn’t have a big 2023 then neither will the Dragons. Most of judges have been saying for sometime Sloan is a superstar in the making, and now gets his chance to prove it following Cody Ramsey being ruled out for the entire season through an illness called ulcerative colitis, which causes inflammation and ulcers on the bowel and digestive tract that requires long-term treatment.

Complicating the sitaution is that Ramsey spent weeks in hospital during pre-season training in late 2022 battling an illness called ulcerative colitis, which causes inflammation and ulcers on the bowel and digestive tract that may require surgery and long-term treatment. The fact Wayne Bennett was doing all he could to get Sloan to the Dolphins tells you all you need to know about his potential.

But for some reason Sloan was left out in the cold for the majority of 2022, and in the end the only reason he didn’t follow Bennett to the Dolphins was because the club wouldn’t give him a release. There’s no question he has some defensive deficiencies but you just can’t ignore Sloan looks to be one of those special players that you can build a club around if you keep him happy.

Whatever was going on between him and the coach this past season needs to be resolved otherwise Sloan will only end up chasing another release come November 1 when he officially becomes a free agent. And don’t worry, that is already being spoken about.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Players Under Pressure

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Tyrell Sloan

If Tyrell Sloan doesn’t have a big 2023 then neither will the Dragons. Most of judges have been saying for sometime Sloan is a superstar in the making, and now gets his chance to prove it following Cody Ramsey being ruled out for the entire season through an illness called ulcerative colitis, which causes inflammation and ulcers on the bowel and digestive tract that requires long-term treatment.

Complicating the sitaution is that Ramsey spent weeks in hospital during pre-season training in late 2022 battling an illness called ulcerative colitis, which causes inflammation and ulcers on the bowel and digestive tract that may require surgery and long-term treatment. The fact Wayne Bennett was doing all he could to get Sloan to the Dolphins tells you all you need to know about his potential.

But for some reason Sloan was left out in the cold for the majority of 2022, and in the end the only reason he didn’t follow Bennett to the Dolphins was because the club wouldn’t give him a release. There’s no question he has some defensive deficiencies but you just can’t ignore Sloan looks to be one of those special players that you can build a club around if you keep him happy.

Whatever was going on between him and the coach this past season needs to be resolved otherwise Sloan will only end up chasing another release come November 1 when he officially becomes a free agent. And don’t worry, that is already being spoken about.
No pressure Tyrell. After all, you are a 20 year-old rookie first grader.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg

Players Under Pressure

ST. GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Tyrell Sloan

All this media about Sloan getting his chance at fullback , and Sullivan playing in the halves , which in my opinion should happen and they should stick with them giving them every chance to settle in ....... But knowing our coach and him knowing he will get the chop if the team doesnt perform , I have my doubts that he will stick with them if they make a few mistakes ........ Unless someone else is calling the shots .......

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
All this media about Sloan getting his chance at fullback , and Sullivan playing in the halves , which in my opinion should happen and they should stick with them giving them every chance to settle in ....... But knowing our coach and him knowing he will get the chop if the team doesnt perform , I have my doubts that he will stick with them if they make a few mistakes ........ Unless someone else is calling the shots .......
Last year was infuriating. Macca, Bird and Mbye were poor every week but don't get dropped. Sloan has one bad game and he's dropped. I think Hook might have learned his lesson. But he can't stick with them no matter how many bad games but it should be more than one bad game.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Hook is an old school coach, old school coaches are not reliant upon their assistants, having learnt under one in the 90s it was watch and learn, not what's your take. So when Sloan openly expressed his views well that was a red rag to the bull moment and he never got another shot. Now due to circumstances beyond the control of the coach Sloan is back in the limelight. Whether the issues have been resolved or whether Sloan actually wants to play for the big red V will become clearer through his on field performances. Time will tell.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Hook is an old school coach, old school coaches are not reliant upon their assistants, having learnt under one in the 90s it was watch and learn, not what's your take. So when Sloan openly expressed his views well that was a red rag to the bull moment and he never got another shot. Now due to circumstances beyond the control of the coach Sloan is back in the limelight. Whether the issues have been resolved or whether Sloan actually wants to play for the big red V will become clearer through his on field performances. Time will tell.
I think this is right.

Eric

Staff
Last year was infuriating. Macca, Bird and Mbye were poor every week but don't get dropped. Sloan has one bad game and he's dropped. I think Hook might have learned his lesson. But he can't stick with them no matter how many bad games but it should be more than one bad game.
He was recalled once. Or twice if you count playing him on the wing. Which was really curious in and of itself. Anyway, I can't remember what round but I think just before Origin and against Parramatta (I could be wrong). He was recalled to fullback on short notice in howling wind and pouring rain. He had a lot of trouble under the high ball but apart from that, wasn't that bad. He looked like the most likely when he got the ball in his hands with a bit of room.

That wasn't the only game I watched that day or that weekend. Tedesco for one also had a nightmare day under the high ball that weekend. Pouring rain and howling wind. Of course it was hard for fullbacks. But of course Sloan was promptly dropped again.

I think it was Jo Dragon who at the time said that it seems Griffin has something personal against Sloan.

Eric

Staff
I guess coaches might be like players. At some point, the way the game is played and managed passes them by.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Anyone seen any pics of Sloan taken this year? Apparently he has packed on muscle and gotten faster. And he was already fast. He defiantly need to pack on some muscle.