Fullback

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The good part about his attacking is he is still learning his trade and that will continue. I was more interested in his defensive decisions and one awful decision led to Warriors 1st try from nothing. I watched Hunt who was next to him. He didn't get up him but did have a quiet word behind the posts whilst waiting for the conversion. After the siren he was interviewed and I was impressed with him. He acknowledged his mistakes and said " I will try to learn by those mistakes and hope I'm picked next week ". Or words very similar to those. We have a good one there who doesn't take anything for granted and obviously not reading on social media how good he is and that's refreshing
I think he said, if my memory serves, "I won't do that again" when talking of that mistake.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I hope Sloan watched how a smaller man, Dufty played last night and how a smaller man, Papenhouzen plays every week. i.e. If he runs hard rather than slow jog to the opposition defensive line, there is much less chance he'll get smashed and driven back.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I hope Sloan watched how a smaller man, Dufty played last night and how a smaller man, Papenhouzen plays every week. i.e. If he runs hard rather than slow jog to the opposition defensive line, there is much less chance he'll get smashed and driven back.
Pretty much the same is true for Josh Kerr.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Ramsey played well. All the backs played well. But Sloan just needs some time in the NSW Cup to regain his confidence under high balls and then he'll be a star. Maybe also add a few more kgs onto his frame.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS FIND THEIR FULLBACK

St George Illawarra skipper Ben Hunt believes the club may have found its long-term solution at fullback. Cody Ramsey played his first game since Round 3 and had a blinder against the Warriors in the No. 1 jersey. The 22-year-old is the third fullback Anthony Griffin has used this season, after Tyrell Sloan and Moses Mbye were also given a shot.Dragons fullback Cody Ramsey makes a break

Ramsey scored a try and set up another to complement his 149 run metres from 13 carries and two linebreaks. “Cody’s obviously still got a lot to learn in the game, but if he can keep building on what he’s got there, and we can keep working on our combination, I think it could be the answer,” Hunt said. Griffin said Ramsey had “obviously” done enough to hold his position for the Dragons upcoming clash against the Bulldogs on Sunday.

“He’s still very raw too but he had that energy today to pick us up in attack, particularly in the second half with that line break coming out of his own end,” Griffin said. “I thought he did a great job under the high ball. Him and our other two wingers did a really good job all day. “Cody had a great game and that’s what we needed him to do.”

Ramsey played in the first three rounds on the wing before being sent back to reserve grade, but he made the most of his chance. “It felt awesome out there, I really needed this game,” Ramsey told Fox League. “I trained (at fullback) pretty much throughout the whole pre-season so I guess I knew what to do. I haven’t been this excited since my debut, far out.”

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Ramsey played well. All the backs played well. But Sloan just needs some time in the NSW Cup to regain his confidence under high balls and then he'll be a star. Maybe also add a few more kgs onto his frame.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS FIND THEIR FULLBACK

St George Illawarra skipper Ben Hunt believes the club may have found its long-term solution at fullback. Cody Ramsey played his first game since Round 3 and had a blinder against the Warriors in the No. 1 jersey. The 22-year-old is the third fullback Anthony Griffin has used this season, after Tyrell Sloan and Moses Mbye were also given a shot.View attachment 51

Ramsey scored a try and set up another to complement his 149 run metres from 13 carries and two linebreaks. “Cody’s obviously still got a lot to learn in the game, but if he can keep building on what he’s got there, and we can keep working on our combination, I think it could be the answer,” Hunt said. Griffin said Ramsey had “obviously” done enough to hold his position for the Dragons upcoming clash against the Bulldogs on Sunday.

“He’s still very raw too but he had that energy today to pick us up in attack, particularly in the second half with that line break coming out of his own end,” Griffin said. “I thought he did a great job under the high ball. Him and our other two wingers did a really good job all day. “Cody had a great game and that’s what we needed him to do.”

Ramsey played in the first three rounds on the wing before being sent back to reserve grade, but he made the most of his chance. “It felt awesome out there, I really needed this game,” Ramsey told Fox League. “I trained (at fullback) pretty much throughout the whole pre-season so I guess I knew what to do. I haven’t been this excited since my debut, far out.”
Ramsey was the best on the weekend but Sloan just seems so naturally gifted. But then again, the most gifted players aren't always the one's who make it.

Eric

Staff

3 Big loser in St George Illawarra's No.1 fight?

Currently 11th on 10 points

Cody Ramsey’s outstanding performance against the Warriors has put him in the box seat to own the Dragons’ fullback spot for the rest of the season.

The next obvious question is where does that leave Tyrell Sloan’s long-term future? While there are parts of 19-year-old Sloan’s game that are obviously not ready for the week-to-week NRL grind, you’d think if 22-year-old Ramsey gets comfortable in the No.1 jumper than the spot could be his for years to come.

It’s a great problem for the Dragons until Sloan gets restless, and rival clubs come sniffing around.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

SLOAN MAY LEAVE DRAGONS

Don't be surprised if talented young Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan - touted as the next big thing at the Dragons at the start of the year - quits the club.

Sloan had strips torn off him by coach Anthony Griffin recently and has told friends he believes he has no future at the club.

His confidence is badly shaken and with Cody Ramsey starring at fullback last weekend, Sloan won't be back in the top grade any time soon.

The youngster has already been dropped twice in the opening 11 rounds of the season and shapes as an ideal signing for Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

SLOAN MAY LEAVE DRAGONS

Don't be surprised if talented young Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan - touted as the next big thing at the Dragons at the start of the year - quits the club.

Sloan had strips torn off him by coach Anthony Griffin recently and has told friends he believes he has no future at the club.

His confidence is badly shaken and with Cody Ramsey starring at fullback last weekend, Sloan won't be back in the top grade any time soon.

The youngster has already been dropped twice in the opening 11 rounds of the season and shapes as an ideal signing for Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins.
If this is true we can say two things:
  1. He has to toughen up mentally. If any one player was to blame for the Gold Coast loss, it was Sloan. The coach should have torn strips off him.
  2. He is under contract for the next 3 years.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If this is true we can say two things:
  1. He has to toughen up mentally. If any one player was to blame for the Gold Coast loss, it was Sloan. The coach should have torn strips off him.
  2. He is under contract for the next 3 years.
I hated words such as prodigy and next big thing the future of the club. It is quite clear here that such pressures heaped upon a then 18 year old has taken its toll mentally on the young fella. I did say that this continual use of what we use to call yoyo selection does nobody any good especially the player. Yes I agree his silly pass in the last 10 min of that Titans game right in front of me set off a chain of events that led to the worst 10 minutes of footy this season BUT you have to remember that the other 12 players on the field had the opportunity to do something about it and didn't so to signal out a young inexperienced player like that is in my humble opinion just not right. It is the failure of the coaches that his development has seemingly stopped not the players total fault.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I hated words such as prodigy and next big thing the future of the club. It is quite clear here that such pressures heaped upon a then 18 year old has taken its toll mentally on the young fella. I did say that this continual use of what we use to call yoyo selection does nobody any good especially the player. Yes I agree his silly pass in the last 10 min of that Titans game right in front of me set off a chain of events that led to the worst 10 minutes of footy this season BUT you have to remember that the other 12 players on the field had the opportunity to do something about it and didn't so to signal out a young inexperienced player like that is in my humble opinion just not right. It is the failure of the coaches that his development has seemingly stopped not the players total fault.
Yeah, it's not fair to single out one player. I didn't mean to do that. Just meant, hypothetically speaking, if one player had to be singled out. Even that is debatable. But if he's upset about being given a rocket, he needs to toughen up.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Yeah, it's not fair to single out one player. I didn't mean to do that. Just meant, hypothetically speaking, if one player had to be singled out. Even that is debatable. But if he's upset about being given a rocket, he needs to toughen up.
I don't remember but I'm guessing Woods, Bird and Lawrie were worse than Sloan though I remember the latters mistakes.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Not have recruited Woods to begin with and be picking both Bird and Lawrie to start on the bench?
Well in my day you have to give the kid a chance, talking about Sloan here specifically. Yes he may lose you a couple of games because of his mistakes. You have to invest time and effort into the player, and show him some faith. This business of stating that your the clubs future, your the clubs saviour rubbish places unnecessary pressure on any young player. You sit him in a review with your attacking and defensive coaches just the 4 of you in the room and you show him the highlights and the mistakes. I would then stop the tape at the mistake and ask him what were you thinking at the time of doing that? You have to show him the mistake and the consequences of the mistake. Play the tape on to ascertain if that particular mistake cost us points in the next set. Then have the assistant coaches explain what they believe he did wrong and how we can fix it, give him options. You can't simply tear strip's off a 19 year old and make him feel worthless. That is a measure of any coach in my view being able to nurture a young player without disconnecting and alienating him. Coaching is more intricate now days than it was in my time but I disagree with the yoyo selection practices currently in use at the club at this time. In regards to Lawrie you tell him, mate I need you in my 17 but you better serve your mates coming on after 20- 25 min and ripping into them so it's not a demotion mate it's how you best fit into the team and here atre the stats to prove it. In regards to Bird well mate here are your stats, what do you think? This is what I think, your a better person and player than what you have produced so far. I understand that contract negotiations may have played on your mind but that excuse is over now. This is what I now need from you, the club has shown its faith in you now start performing and helping your teammates. I need you to perform and don't think because we re signed you that your a walk up starter no position is guaranteed. In my view to be a half decent coach the 3 basic essential ingredients that make up a good coach is the ability to communicate, to listen and be able to be a problem solver that's just me not saying I was any good.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That centre, as far as I remember, was never in any conversation about being a future NSW Origin player.

I hate to labour the point but unless our forwards and going forward, Sloan, Sullivan, Amone won't star. They'll hold thier own at best. Poor Dufty. Could have done better with his chances but playing behind a team on the back foot far more often than not must have been hard.
I have said all along you can have the Australian Kangaroos backline in your team but if your forwards are doing the Michael Jackson moonwalk it won't really matter. Forwards lay the foundations for any win the backs decide by how much.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Well in my day you have to give the kid a chance, talking about Sloan here specifically. Yes he may lose you a couple of games because of his mistakes. You have to invest time and effort into the player, and show him some faith. This business of stating that your the clubs future, your the clubs saviour rubbish places unnecessary pressure on any young player. You sit him in a review with your attacking and defensive coaches just the 4 of you in the room and you show him the highlights and the mistakes. I would then stop the tape at the mistake and ask him what were you thinking at the time of doing that? You have to show him the mistake and the consequences of the mistake. Play the tape on to ascertain if that particular mistake cost us points in the next set. Then have the assistant coaches explain what they believe he did wrong and how we can fix it, give him options. You can't simply tear strip's off a 19 year old and make him feel worthless. That is a measure of any coach in my view being able to nurture a young player without disconnecting and alienating him. Coaching is more intricate now days than it was in my time but I disagree with the yoyo selection practices currently in use at the club at this time. In regards to Lawrie you tell him, mate I need you in my 17 but you better serve your mates coming on after 20- 25 min and ripping into them so it's not a demotion mate it's how you best fit into the team and here atre the stats to prove it. In regards to Bird well mate here are your stats, what do you think? This is what I think, your a better person and player than what you have produced so far. I understand that contract negotiations may have played on your mind but that excuse is over now. This is what I now need from you, the club has shown its faith in you now start performing and helping your teammates. I need you to perform and don't think because we re signed you that your a walk up starter no position is guaranteed. In my view to be a half decent coach the 3 basic essential ingredients that make up a good coach is the ability to communicate, to listen and be able to be a problem solver that's just me not saying I was any good.
That's all true but surely for a 19 year-old, he's better regaining his confidence and further learning his trade in the NSW Cup. Personally I think it's the best idea. having said that, I'd never have dropped him for Mbye.

Agree completely regarding Lawrie and Bird.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
What if you did that with Bird but he still provided similar output in the next game? Drop him? Can't be too critical with Lawrie. He should be starting off the bench. Why is it taking the coach so long to realise that? His stats were poor when starting. His stats were good when coming off the bench. Now he's starting, his stats are poor again.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
What if you did that with Bird but he still provided similar output in the next game? Drop him? Can't be too critical with Lawrie. He should be starting off the bench. Why is it taking the coach so long to realise that? His stats were poor when starting. His stats were good when coming off the bench. Now he's starting, his stats are poor again.
x2