Fullback

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
A great prospect but since the golder era of juniors with Gaz, Coops, Ryles, Bailey, Barrett, Young, Hornby, how many so-called "great prospects" have come and gone without firing a shot?
That was a really special era. Should have gotten more than one premiership. One wold have thought Doust would have learned the lesson of promoting a rookie coach from within but no. Instead the twit doubled down on it.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
That was a really special era. Should have gotten more than one premiership. One wold have thought Doust would have learned the lesson of promoting a rookie coach from within but no. Instead the twit doubled down on it.
In the early part of that era, the club was struck by an injury curse. Ryles and Bull Bailey were two of the best props in the comp. Over a period of over two years they only played in a handful of games together.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
In the early part of that era, the club was struck by an injury curse. Ryles and Bull Bailey were two of the best props in the comp. Over a period of over two years they only played in a handful of games together.
Still should have done better. I remember they used to beat the top teams on a regular basis but lose to poor teams. It was incredibly frustrating.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Mixed feelings about Sloan playing in the All Stars game today. Now he is in the squad but not the team. Be nice to get an early look at what he can do this year but don't want him in the thick of it, risking injury.

Eric

Staff
Mixed feelings about Sloan playing in the All Stars game today. Now he is in the squad but not the team. Be nice to get an early look at what he can do this year but don't want him in the thick of it, risking injury.
If he gets a run, I hope he gets into the think of it. Saving someone from the possibility of injury is a fools errand IMO. How many games and injury sessions each year where there is the the distinct possibility of injury?

Eric

Staff

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS YOUNG GUN A LOCK FOR FIRST ROUND

St George Illawarra Dragons started with Cody Ramsey at fullback for their first trial of 2022 against the Eels. But he failed to shine as bright as 19-year-old Tyrell Sloan who spent the end of the 2021 season wearing the No.1 jersey. Sloan was silky in attack and made some crucial tackles at CommBank Stadium and was warded some lofty praise.

“I think Tyrell Sloan's the future of the club in the No.1,” Greg Alexander said. Braith Anasta voiced Alexander’s sentiment when asked who should play fullback for the Dragons. “I think it is a no-brainer, I think it is Sloan all day,” he said. “I don’t even think there is a question about it in my mind, the kid is just full of class, we saw that back cut-out pass for the try, he has got great speed.”

In only five NRL games, Sloan has scored six tries and recorded two try assists and tonight a brilliant cutout pass highlighted his class. The young gun received the ball on the left and instantly threw a pinpoint pass to winger Jonathon Reuben to score acrobatically in the corner. Ramsey, who didn’t do much wrong, was not match for the silky speedster and will likely take up a spot on the wing for the Red V.

No surprise with this. He has emerged as the standout within the much-hyped juniors at the club. Connor Muhleisen was impressive as well. Didn't do much in attack but good passing game out of dummy half and good in defence. It paints a rosy picture for the future with the spine locked in and then several good, young players in other positions. The entire backline with the exception of Ben Hunt is young. Coric, Hunt, Molo showed some good, young forwards ready to go as well.

Eric

Staff

Tyrell Sloan tipped to win battle for fullback role at St George-Illawarra Dragons​

One of the boom players of the NRL pre-season has been touted as a key “weapon” for St George-Illawarra Dragons and tipped to make a big impression in season 2022.​

St George Illawarra Dragons skipper Ben Hunt has tipped Tyrell Sloan to win the battle for the Dragons No. 1 jersey, revealing the club’s ability to “weaponise” the teenager is a big part of his wanting to extend in Wollongong and win an NRL premiership.

“Sloany is the type of guy who knows where the ball is going to bounce,” Hunt continued of the play. “And we can use him as a weapon like that. “He’s a very classy individual. “Obviously has all the silky skills. “And you get a lot of confidence from guys who can do different plays and just have that knack of turning up in the right place. “So he just needs to get a bit more footy knowledge about him. Learn some things. “But he’s a great kid who works really hard every day. He is coming along nicely.”

While Hunt remains contracted with St George Illawarra until the end of 2023, there has already been talk of a potential move home to Queensland and the incoming Redcliffe franchise. After an outstanding performance in the Shield win over Souths, the halfback was told his efforts would almost certainly have draw interest from new Redcliffe coach Wayne Bennett. “I haven’t heard from him yet,” the Dragons No. 7 laughed.

The noise around Sloan is becoming deafening. I think Amone might take a share of that in the first few rounds.

Ben Hunt is playing really well. Did last year and did in the trials. Just goes to show how clueless Baldy McGregor was. It probably also has something to do with Baldy listening to the advice of media people who didn't have the best interests of St George Illawarra in mind.

Having said that, #7 Sullivan, #6 Amone and #9 Muhleisen are the future. Hunt probably needs to pack his bags at the end of this season. Certainly is he wants to play for another 3 years after this season. If he only wants next year and possibly one year after that, he might stay.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Tyrell Sloan tipped to win battle for fullback role at St George-Illawarra Dragons​

One of the boom players of the NRL pre-season has been touted as a key “weapon” for St George-Illawarra Dragons and tipped to make a big impression in season 2022.​

St George Illawarra Dragons skipper Ben Hunt has tipped Tyrell Sloan to win the battle for the Dragons No. 1 jersey, revealing the club’s ability to “weaponise” the teenager is a big part of his wanting to extend in Wollongong and win an NRL premiership.

“Sloany is the type of guy who knows where the ball is going to bounce,” Hunt continued of the play. “And we can use him as a weapon like that. “He’s a very classy individual. “Obviously has all the silky skills. “And you get a lot of confidence from guys who can do different plays and just have that knack of turning up in the right place. “So he just needs to get a bit more footy knowledge about him. Learn some things. “But he’s a great kid who works really hard every day. He is coming along nicely.”

While Hunt remains contracted with St George Illawarra until the end of 2023, there has already been talk of a potential move home to Queensland and the incoming Redcliffe franchise. After an outstanding performance in the Shield win over Souths, the halfback was told his efforts would almost certainly have draw interest from new Redcliffe coach Wayne Bennett. “I haven’t heard from him yet,” the Dragons No. 7 laughed.

The noise around Sloan is becoming deafening. I think Amone might take a share of that in the first few rounds.

Ben Hunt is playing really well. Did last year and did in the trials. Just goes to show how clueless Baldy McGregor was. It probably also has something to do with Baldy listening to the advice of media people who didn't have the best interests of St George Illawarra in mind.

Having said that, #7 Sullivan, #6 Amone and #9 Muhleisen are the future. Hunt probably needs to pack his bags at the end of this season. Certainly is he wants to play for another 3 years after this season. If he only wants next year and possibly one year after that, he might stay.
Depends on how much another club would chip in for the final year of Hunt's contract. Unless it's a very large %, may be better to keep him on the bench for the final year.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

St George-Illawarra Dragons Tyrell Sloan tipped to win battle for fullback role​

It all depends on how well two of the three of Hunt, Amone, Sullivan work together. We all know they are individually quality players. I don't see any reason why Amone and Sullivan wouldn't carry on their juniors form into the NRL but if they don't, it'll hardly be the first individual or combination not to do so. It might be worth keeping Hunt around until the end of his contract or even extending him by a year or two. Not for anything close to the money he is on now but I could see Hunt still being one of the best halfbacks for another 3 years. At least, it's too much a stretch to imagine that.

Eric

Staff

Every NRL clubs' two best young guns to watch in season 2022​

Dragons: Tyrell SloanSt George Illawarra Dragons, Tyrell Sloan

The Dragons made a huge call in letting Matt Dufty leave, but it was a commitment to their belief in Sloan, who looked sharp at the back in the latter stages of 2021.

"They've got big raps on him, don't they," Luke Patten said on SEN last month after Sloan impressed in the All Star Game.

"It's funny, that try he scored the other night - that change of pace when he changed direction, and even still to get that ball down on a greasy night - it gives you a glimpse into his skill."

I have a sneaky suspicion Amone is going to outshine both Sloan and Sullivan. Though it will be a tall order based in the All Stars and Charity Shield.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
The hype is out of control. I'm a big fan from what I've seen but I hope he doesn't let it go to his head.

Full-on fullbacks: Hunt puts faith in St George Illawarra Dragons young No.1​

Playing halfback in the pressure cooker atmosphere of the NRL is no easy task, but St George Illawarra Dragons skipper Ben Hunt reckons fullback is one of the hardest positions to master in the modern game. With that in mind, the Red V’s on-field general was delighted to see young gun Tyrell Sloan, ball of energy Cody Ramsey and experienced utility Moses Mbye putting in the hard yards over summer to hone their craft.

“Good defence gets you into grand finals and that’s something we really need to work on this year,” Hunt said. “Those three have worked on getting in the right positions defensively, getting on kicks when they are put in and getting our numbers right. “One or our big focuses has been defence and our attitude to that and the kid (Sloan) has been working really hard on it.”

At 19 and with a resume that boasts just five NRL games, Sloan carries big expectations into 2022 as the Dragons turn to Generation Next to lead them back to the finals. Sloan and fellow 19-year-old Talatau Amone, who lines up alongside Hunt in the halves against the Warriors, will be expected to provide the X-factor that has been lacking for the past three seasons.

After scoring a slashing try on debut against the Raiders in round 15 last year, Sloan went on to score in all five of his games and backed that up with a slashing four-pointer for the Indigenous All Stars in his first hit-out of 2022. Now 31 and heading into his 14th season in the NRL, Hunt senses something special is building at the Dragons with the mix of youth and experience coach Anthony Griffin has assembled.

“We’ve definitely got a bit of strike in the side, bringing Moses Suli on to that left edge and Jaydn Su’A onto the right,” Hunt said. “We’re leaving last year behind and it’s really exciting to see what sort of footy we can play. “Give Junior [Amone] another couple of years and he’s going to be a hell of a player. He has some raw talent there that some guys just don’t have. He’s a good kid and he’s going to do some great things for us.

“The captaincy put me out of my comfort zone a few more times and made me do things better than I had in the past. You don’t walk past things when you know you should do them. “I want to go out there in every game and compete. If you take care of the effort areas then talent you have will take care of the rest. "It’s about turning up for your mate.”

These days the best fullbacks (Trbojevic, Tedesco, Mitchell, Ponga) also bust tackles on a regular basis. Sloan is only 19. He may grow enough to do that yet but maybe not this year.

Eric

Staff
The hype is out of control. I'm a big fan from what I've seen but I hope he doesn't let it go to his head.

Full-on fullbacks: Hunt's faith in St George Illawarra young No.1​

Playing halfback in the pressure cooker atmosphere of the NRL is no easy task, but St George Illawarra skipper Ben Hunt reckons fullback is one of the hardest positions to master in the modern game. With that in mind, the Red V’s on-field general was delighted to see young gun Tyrell Sloan, ball of energy Cody Ramsey and experienced utility Moses Mbye putting in the hard yards over summer to hone their craft.

“Good defence gets you into grand finals and that’s something we really need to work on this year,” Hunt said. “Those three have worked on getting in the right positions defensively, getting on kicks when they are put in and getting our numbers right. “One or our big focuses has been defence and our attitude to that and the kid (Sloan) has been working really hard on it.”

At 19 and with a resume that boasts just five NRL games, Sloan carries big expectations into 2022 as the Dragons turn to Generation Next to lead them back to the finals. Sloan and fellow 19-year-old Talatau Amone, who lines up alongside Hunt in the halves against the Warriors, will be expected to provide the X-factor that has been lacking for the past three seasons.

After scoring a slashing try on debut against the Raiders in round 15 last year, Sloan went on to score in all five of his games and backed that up with a slashing four-pointer for the Indigenous All Stars in his first hit-out of 2022. Now 31 and heading into his 14th season in the NRL, Hunt senses something special is building at the Dragons with the mix of youth and experience coach Anthony Griffin has assembled.

“We’ve definitely got a bit of strike in the side, bringing Moses Suli on to that left edge and Jaydn Su’A onto the right,” Hunt said. “We’re leaving last year behind and it’s really exciting to see what sort of footy we can play. “Give Junior [Amone] another couple of years and he’s going to be a hell of a player. He has some raw talent there that some guys just don’t have. He’s a good kid and he’s going to do some great things for us.

“The captaincy put me out of my comfort zone a few more times and made me do things better than I had in the past. You don’t walk past things when you know you should do them. “I want to go out there in every game and compete. If you take care of the effort areas then talent you have will take care of the rest. "It’s about turning up for your mate.”

These days the best fullbacks (Trbojevic, Tedesco, Mitchell, Ponga) also bust tackles on a regular basis. Sloan is only 19. He may grow enough to do that yet but maybe not this year.
He's never going to be able to bust tackles to the same extent as Trbojevic, Tedesco, Mitchell but Melbourne's fullback for example has less tackle busting ability than Sloan but seems to go ok anyway. Billy Slater is another who didn't bust tackles on a regular basis.

IMO he's going to be a superstar but never a really great tackle buster.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Full-on fullbacks: Hunt puts faith in St George Illawarra Dragons young No.1​

Playing halfback in the pressure cooker atmosphere of the NRL is no easy task, but St George Illawarra Dragons skipper Ben Hunt reckons fullback is one of the hardest positions to master in the modern game. With that in mind, the Red V’s on-field general was delighted to see young gun Tyrell Sloan, ball of energy Cody Ramsey and experienced utility Moses Mbye putting in the hard yards over summer to hone their craft.

He won't need to break tackles as I said in another post. He will be the player backing up the 2nd phase attacking play and slice/ glide past defenders

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He's never going to be able to bust tackles to the same extent as Trbojevic, Tedesco, Mitchell but Melbourne's fullback for example has less tackle busting ability than Sloan but seems to go ok anyway. Billy Slater is another who didn't bust tackles on a regular basis.

Agree

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

He won't need to break tackles as I said in another post. He will be the player backing up the 2nd phase attacking play and slice/ glide past defenders
Added to that, he's already bigger than the Melbourne fullback (Papenhuyzen). As long as he doesn't get thrown around like Dufty used to on kick returns, which he already doesn't at 19 years-old and still growing, he'll be fine.

On the subject of Papenhuyzen, he's not much bigger than Dufty. Being bigger would have helped but it obviously wasn't the only reason Dufty was so ineffective on kick returns.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Added to that, he's already bigger than the Melbourne fullback (Papenhuyzen). As long as he doesn't get thrown around like Dufty used to on kick returns, which he already doesn't at 19 years-old and still growing, he'll be fine.

On the subject of Papenhuyzen, he's not much bigger than Dufty. Being bigger would have helped but it obviously wasn't the only reason Dufty was so ineffective on kick returns.

I can assure you I didn't mean to be negative, if that's the way it was perceived.

If he's going to be the greatest fullback of all time, he needs to break tackles regularly on top of what he already does.

If he never does that, he could still be a superstar. As is, I think he's our fullback for the next decade.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

20 thoughts from NRL Round 1​

1. Anyone writing any side off after Round 1 should take a deep breath, sit back and relax. Premierships are not won, or lost, in the opening month. There was so many players out this weekend and so many crazy results. Anyone who says they tipped a perfect round is a liar!

2. Kurt Capewell will be one of the signings of 2022. I can't believe more sides weren't in for his services following his brilliant 2021. How ice-cool was he slotting that result confirming field goal?

3. The Roosters were, by far, the most disappointing side across Round 1. A late try was all that denied the Knights a complete shutout. No one saw that coming.

4. Everything about young Tyrell Sloan screams superstar. He was so very good on Saturday afternoon. Against the Warriors, he recorded two try assists, a line break and four tackle breaks. It's going to be a monster season from the 19-year-old.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The good part about his attacking is he is still learning his trade and that will continue. I was more interested in his defensive decisions and one awful decision led to Warriors 1st try from nothing. I watched Hunt who was next to him. He didn't get up him but did have a quiet word behind the posts whilst waiting for the conversion. After the siren he was interviewed and I was impressed with him. He acknowledged his mistakes and said " I will try to learn by those mistakes and hope I'm picked next week ". Or words very similar to those. We have a good one there who doesn't take anything for granted and obviously not reading on social media how good he is and that's refreshing

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The good part about his attacking is he is still learning his trade and that will continue. I was more interested in his defensive decisions and one awful decision led to Warriors 1st try from nothing. I watched Hunt who was next to him. He didn't get up him but did have a quiet word behind the posts whilst waiting for the conversion. After the siren he was interviewed and I was impressed with him. He acknowledged his mistakes and said " I will try to learn by those mistakes and hope I'm picked next week ". Or words very similar to those. We have a good one there who doesn't take anything for granted and obviously not reading on social media how good he is and that's refreshing
He seems like a very down to earth person.