Fullback

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Our young guys getting even more attention. Maybe this time they are going justify the hype. Anyone remember Evander Cummings? Camerom King? Reece Robson? Who was that centre who played a few games, went to the ESL and is now in Group 6? There was a lot of hype about him. anyway......

Sloan primed to kick more goals in 2022​

It was a big season for St George Illawarra Dragons Tyrell Sloan in 2021 but the 19-year-old has more goals and ideas in mind for an even better year in 2022.

The skilful outside back made his debut in both The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup and the NRL during 2021 for the St George lllawarra Dragons. While the COVID-19 pandemic halted all NSWRL competitions in June, and the Dragons failed to make the NRL finals, Sloan still made his presence felt. In the NSW Cup, Sloan scored two tries in three games along with two line-breaks. In the NRL, he scored six tries in five games, with two try assists and 13 tackle-busts.

That kind of form earned him a call-up into the 2022 Future Blues squad by Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler, with a camp being held at the NSWRL Centre of Excellence in December last year. Although he doesn’t turn 20 until next June, Sloan is mindful of how the NSWRL pathways produce results. Prop Payne Haas was in the squad in 2019 and played Origin that year, as did Brian To’o and Liam Martin from the 2021 squad.

“For sure that’s what every player here wants to do too,” Sloan said. “I’ve had a little taste of it in the Under 18s and Under 16s. “So, getting those blue jerseys was a dream come true for me. Now to have a chance to pull it on in the first grade arena would be awesome. It’s very special that NSW jersey. “Freddy provided a video, and he spoke about taking every opportunity. Obviously, it’s probably still down the track for me a bit. I won’t look too far ahead but it would be a dream achievement that’s for sure.”

Part of his plan for improvement in 2022 is to put into action at the Dragons some of the lessons he took away from the camp, especially mingling with past and present True Blues.

“We had a couple of guest speakers – Nathan Cleary, Tom Trbojevic, Boyd Cordner,” Sloan said. “They all had different meanings for us all and took all our questions. Boyd spoke about the toughness of Origin and the mental side of that. “Nathan was more on dealing with setbacks and how to be professional on and off the field, and Tom talked about how to aim for consistency in everything you do. “I really dialled into Tommy because he plays my position of fullback, so I was after all the knowledge I could get from him. “He had a breakout year – one of the best years of any Rugby League player. So, I tried to pick his brain on everything he did throughout the year.”

The 25-member squad also benefitted from positional skills and training drills, which were provided by NSWRL royalty and former Origin captains in Immortal Andrew Johns, series-winning skippers Danny Buderus and Cordner.

“Joey was working with us, Boyd, Danny Buderus and that’s such a good thing,” Sloan said. “We had some chats in the lecture theatre and then out on the field. All the boys were all ears and eyes, taking down notes, learning the importance of our game on and off the field.”

If Boyd Cordner played for Wests Tigers, he wouldn't have gotten close to NSW Origin team. Now he's 'a great'.
They are saying he's 90kg already. He could be gunning for 100kg in a another year but the club probably doesn't want that. I'd say 95kg is max before he loses too much agility and footwork.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons extend gun rookie​

St George Illawarra Dragons have upgraded and extended their young gun fullback Tyrell Sloan for another season to keep him at the club until the end of 2024.

Sloan was at first on a development deal for this season, however after impressing at fullback in the final weeks of last season has been added to the club’s Top 30. The 19-year-old Dapto junior made his NRL debut in Round 15 last season and went on to play a further four games.

Sloan was a part of the Illawarra Steelers’ 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning team alongside the Feagai twins and Jayden Sullivan — who have also recently re-signed. He is competing with Cody Ramsey for the No.1 jersey this season after the departure of Matt Dufty.

“Re-signing is a proud moment in my career. It’s good news for the club that there’s a few of us staying put and remaining with our friends and family. None of us wanted to leave. This is our home,” Sloan said via a club statement.

“It’s exciting being in the first grade squad having come through the juniors together. It’s a cool moment for all of us. We’re all proud to wear the Red V jersey and we’re keen to take it back to where it needs to be, playing finals footy.

“I was put in the deep end last year, but it was an opportunity I was more than happy to take. My debut was the best moment of my life and to get four more games afterwards was very pleasing. “It’s healthy competition across the squad and I’m very much looking forward to the challenges ahead. We’re all looking forward to playing footy now.”

Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran added: “Last season was an important one for Tyrell’s growth as a player. His progression through the grades was crucial as was his opportunity to cut his teeth in first grade in the latter rounds of the year.”

Meanwhile, the club has also announced Norths Devils winger Jonathon Reuben has signed a development deal for 2022.

I thought Griffin may be planning on starting the year with Ramsey or Mbye at fullback with Sloan on a development deal being unavialble until mid season but this puts that theory to bed.

Never heard anything about this Jonathon Reuben. Would have thought it better to promote a forward from within but it seems at least for this year, Griffin doesn't have confidence in any of the forwards coming though. I guess Griffin has some contacts in Brisbane who recommended this guy.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons extend gun rookie​

St George Illawarra Dragons have upgraded and extended their rookie gun fullback Tyrell Sloan for another season to keep him at the club until the end of 2024.

Sloan was on a development deal for this season, however after starring at fullback in the final weeks of last season he has been added to the club’s Top 30. The 19-year-old Dapto junior made his NRL debut in Round 15 last season and went on to play the last four games for the Dragons.

Sloan was a part of the Illawarra Steelers’ 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning team alongside the Feagai twins and Jayden Sullivan — who have also recently re-signed. He is competing with Cody Ramsey for the No.1 jersey this season after the departure of Matt Dufty.

“Re-signing is a proud moment in my career. It’s good news for the club that there’s a few of us staying put and remaining with our friends and family. None of us wanted to leave. This is our home,” Sloan said via a club statement.

“It’s exciting being in the first grade squad having come through the juniors together. It’s a cool moment for all of us. We’re all proud to wear the Red V jersey and we’re keen to take it back to where it needs to be, playing finals footy.

“I was put in the deep end last year, but it was an opportunity I was more than happy to take. My debut was the best moment of my life and to get four more games afterwards was very pleasing. “It’s healthy competition across the squad and I’m very much looking forward to the challenges ahead. We’re all looking forward to playing footy now.”

Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran added: “Last season was an important one for Tyrell’s growth as a player. His progression through the grades was crucial as was his opportunity to cut his teeth in first grade in the latter rounds of the year.”

Meanwhile, the club has also announced Norths Devils winger Jonathon Reuben has signed a development deal for 2022.

I thought Griffin may be planning on starting the year with Ramsey or Mbye at fullback with Sloan on a development deal being unavailable until mid season but this puts that theory to bed.

Never heard anything about this Jonathon Reuben. Would have thought it better to promote a forward from within but it seems at least for this year, Griffin doesn't have confidence in any of the forwards coming though. I guess Griffin has some contacts in Brisbane who recommended this guy.
I wonder why he only got a 1 year extension. I would have thought the club wanted to extend for 2 or 3 years.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Love to be No.1 for a long time’: Dragons extend young gun until 2024​

Tyrell Sloan has been upgraded to St George Illawarra Dragons top-30 squad and added another year to his deal, which will now keep him in the Red V until at least the end of 2024.

Not only does the livewire local junior want to be wearing the No. 1 jersey come round one against the New Zealand Warriors, Sloan would love to become the long-term fullback, something the Dragons have lacked for the best part of a decade.

Sloan, who is in a battle for the position with Cody Ramsey, wants all that to change. The Dragons are also clearly of the belief they can finally nail down some consistency in the all-important position by extending Sloan for an extra year.

In good news for long-suffering St George Illawarra Dragons supporters, their club now has Sloan signed until the end of 2024, along with Mat and Max Feagai, as well as Ramsey, Junior Amone until the end of 2023, Jayden Sullivan 2025 and Zac Lomax 2026.

“I want to be the No. 1 here and I’d love to be the No. 1 for a long time,” Sloan told the Herald.

“It was an easy decision for me to extend my deal. I’m a local junior and love this place. It means I get to live locally at least another year, and hopefully buy a place so my nan [Colleen] can move in. My older brother Ashley bought his first place at 21, I’m 19 and would love to get one up on him.

“It makes it easy to re-sign when there are so many juniors here. And we all have pride in the jersey. Us local boys, including the Fengai boys, ‘Sully’ [Sullivan], Junior, myself, we grew up in a winning team, that’s all we know, we’re young and we want to make sure we’re helping this team get back to playing finals footy.”

Sloan grew up a Melbourne fan and idolised Billy Slater, but is also proud of his heritage and the excellent Indigenous Dragons players that have become househld names, including Anthony Mundine, Nathan Blacklock and of course Ricky Walford.

Sloan was on a development contract and would have been ineligible for NRL selection until round 10 had he not been added to the main squad.

He burst on to the scene late last year with six tries in five games, and coach Anthony Griffin wanted him to work hard on his defence over the summer.

The Dragons have started the past six years with Dufty at the back, Dugan, as well as Kurt Mann, Gareth Widdop and the short-lived experiment with gun centre Lomax.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The media is all over this story. He is only 19 with 4 games of NRL under his belt. A little soon for such hype, isn't it?

Eric

Staff

Love to be No.1 for a long time’: St George Illawarra Dragons extend young gun until 2024​

Tyrell Sloan has been upgraded to St George Illawarra Dragons top-30 squad and added another year to his deal, which will now see him remain in the Red V until at least the end of 2024.

Not only does the livewire local junior want to be wearing the No. 1 jersey come round one against the New Zealand Warriors, Sloan would love to become the long-term fullback, something the Dragons have lacked for the best part of a decade.

Sloan, who is in a fight for the position with Cody Ramsey, wants all that to change. The Dragons are also clearly of the belief they can finally nail down some consistency in the all-important position by extending Sloan for an extra year.

In good news for long-suffering St George Illawarra Dragons supporters, their club now has Sloan signed until the end of 2024, along with Mat and Max Feagai, as well as Ramsey, Junior Amone until the end of 2023, Jayden Sullivan 2025 and Zac Lomax 2026.

“I want to be the No. 1 here and I’d love to be the No. 1 for a long time,” Sloan said. “It was an easy decision for me to extend my deal. I’m a local junior and love this place. It means I get to live locally at least another year, and hopefully buy a place so my nan [Colleen] can move in. My older brother Ashley bought his first place at 21, I’m 19 and would love to get one up on him.

“It makes it easy to re-sign when there are so many juniors here. And we all have pride in the jersey. Us local boys, including the Fengai boys, ‘Sully’ [Sullivan], Junior, myself, we grew up in a winning team, that’s all we know, we’re young and we want to make sure we’re helping this team get back to playing finals footy.”

Sloan grew up a Melbourne fan and idolised Billy Slater, but is also proud of his heritage and the excellent Indigenous Dragons players that have become househld names, including Anthony Mundine, Nathan Blacklock and of course Ricky Walford.

Sloan was on a development contract and would have been ineligible for NRL selection until round 10 had he not been added to the main squad. He burst on to the scene late last year with six tries in five games, and coach Anthony Griffin wanted him to work hard on his defence over the summer.

The Dragons have started the past six years with Dufty at the back, Dugan, as well as Kurt Mann, Gareth Widdop and the short-lived experiment with gun centre Lomax.
A few important things to take from this.
1. We don't have "a core" of young local juniors in the backline but an entire backline of young, local juniors.
2. He (Sloan) is a local junior who seemingly wants to stick around. The Gong is cheaper than Sydney but with the same salary cap, in theory it gives us an edge in negotiations if the player is happy to live in the Gong.
3. On a not so bright note, I don't like that, "Sloan grew up a Melbourne fan and idolised Billy Slater".

Eric

Staff
Some good news!

St George Illawarra Dragons have also acquired Norths Devils winger Jonathon Reuben on a development deal. Formerly contracted to Canberra and the Sydney Roosters without playing in the NRL, the 28-year-old has scored 107 tries in 106 matches during a seven-season Queensland Cup career.

A 28 year-old winger who failed to crack NRL with Canberra and Sydney Rorters...... I've been a solid supporter of Griffin but WTF is this? In the event of an injury/suspension crisis like last season with Beale, it may not be a bad move but couldn't have have recruited a 21 year-old fringe NRL player from the QLD Cup and only recruited this guy in the event of the previously mentioned crisis?

Really weird.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Some good news!

St George Illawarra Dragons have also acquired Norths Devils winger Jonathon Reuben on a development deal. Formerly contracted to Canberra and the Sydney Roosters without playing in the NRL, the 28-year-old has scored 107 tries in 106 matches during a seven-season Queensland Cup career.

A 28 year-old winger who failed to crack NRL with Canberra and Sydney Rorters...... I've been a solid supporter of Griffin but WTF is this? In the event of an injury/suspension crisis like last season with Beale, it may not be a bad move but couldn't have have recruited a 21 year-old fringe NRL player from the QLD Cup and only recruited this guy in the event of the previously mentioned crisis?

Really weird.
That is a strange signing...... Well, it's Griffin's job so will only have himself to blame if it doesn't work out for him.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Some good news!

St George Illawarra Dragons have also signed Norths Devils winger Jonathon Reuben on a development deal. Formerly contracted to Canberra and Sydney Roosters without ever playing in the NRL, the 28-year-old has scored 107 tries in 106 matches during a seven-season Queensland Cup career.

Really weird.
Interesting. In the article I just read, they said we were thin for outside backs. I can't see how that's the case but perhaps Griffin agrees with that article.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Another outside the box idea would to leave Sloan in the NSW Cup for a little longer and put Amone at fullback, Sullivan 5/8.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Sloane is only young. I watched him in NSW Cup he has the build of and moves similar to David Peachy retired sharks fullback. I hope he takes that next step up but I also hope he isn't listening to any of this hype around him. He certainly the last time I saw him play show the ability but definitely needed to put on about 5 - 10kg of muscle in the off season. Time will tell if he can reach the heights of his hype

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Sloane is only young. I watched him in NSW Cup he has the build of and moves similar to David Peachy retired sharks fullback. I hope he takes that next step up but I also hope he isn't listening to any of this hype around him. He certainly the last time I saw him play show the ability but definitely needed to put on about 5 - 10kg of muscle in the off season. Time will tell if he can reach the heights of his hype
Griffin said he'll probably be over 90kg by the time the season starts. Ditto for Ramsey who needed it even more.

I think they were both only a little over 80 last season.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Congrats to Sloan for this. Well, kind of. Just as long as he doesn't put his body on the line.

St George Illawarra young gun Tyrell Sloan called into Indigenous All Stars​

I'm looking forward to see how he goes.
First look at the bigger, stronger but just as fast and skillful Sloan. Suddenly I became interested in that game.

Eric

Staff
He is highly rated I hope he reaches those expectations with us
Being bigger and able to bend opposition defensive lines with power running along with his other well known skills, makes him potentially a perfect fullback.

I know he's never going to have the power of Mitchell for example but we need him not to be dominated by the defence when they get their hands on him as was the case for Dufty.