Fullback

Eric

Staff
Many assumed Tyrell Sloan was a given to become St George Illawarra’s long-term fullback, but another flyer has made no secret of his desire to own the No.1 jersey.

While Sloan has showed X-factor in his five first-grade appearances this year, scoring a try in each match including a double in round 25, Cody Ramsey is also in the running to succeed Matt Dufty.

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin is a big fan of Ramsey, who concedes he’ll need to bulk up during the summer in order to withstand the weekly rigours of the NRL.

“It’s a really exciting battle. We obviously both want to play there and it’s really friendly competition. When we run [in pre-season], we run just as hard as each other,” Ramsey, 21, said of his duel with Sloan, 19.

“We know we’re both fit. I think both of us need to put on size and we need to get strength and we need to study a lot about our roles.

“We don’t really have a fullback that’s been in the game for a while to help us, so we’ve just been picking [assistant coaches] Peter Gentle and Heady’s [Matt Head] brains and see where we can go from there.”

Ramsey has played 21 games, mostly on the wing, since debuting in late 2020 and the Molong product readily admits his 82kg frame has copped some punishment.

“I’ve always been a good runner; I think it’s just the gym. I need to get a lot stronger and really study on what role I need to play,” Ramsey said.

“Size is a major thing, strength. I think everybody saw last year that I got battered a few times and the body didn’t hold up as well as I expected.”

Duff the former Dragon settling into the kennel
Matt Dufty, the man Sloan or Ramsey will replace at St George Illawarra, couldn’t praise Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett highly enough after starting training with his new club.

At 25, Dufty’s NRL career is in the balance having only signed a one-year deal with Canterbury after Griffin opted against re-signing him at the Dragons.

And while Dufty and Griffin had differing opinions when it came to football – with the fullback often unable to curb his naturally expansive instincts – it seems he and Barrett are on the same page.

“Trent Barrett, you can just tell how much knowledge he’s got. Just from the first few days, he’s already talking about what he wants to do in the future and how we’re going to attack,” Dufty told the Bulldogs website.

I know Ramsey didn't impress during his time at fullback but I feel he didn't much of a chance. I'm a fan of Sloan but he also needs to pack on a few kgs of muscle. Give them both a go during trail matches! We may be lacking a superstar but I feel we have great depth going into next season. Forwards Lawrie, Woods, Molo, Burgess, Su'a, Burns, Sims, Bird, JDB, McCollough, McGuire and a few fringe first graders like Ford, Kerr and more.

Halves we have Hunt, Amone, Mbye, Sullivan.

Outside backs Feagai x 2, Ravalawa, Lomax, Ramsey, Suli and a few fringe first graders.

Fullback Sloan, Ramsey

It's hard to see us losing much in the event of injury to any player.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Many assumed Tyrell Sloan was a given to become St George Illawarra’s long-term fullback, but another flyer has made no secret of his desire to own the No.1 jersey.

While Sloan has showed X-factor in his five first-grade appearances this year, scoring a try in each match including a double in round 25, Cody Ramsey is also in the running to succeed Matt Dufty.

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin is a big fan of Ramsey, who concedes he’ll need to bulk up during the summer in order to withstand the weekly rigours of the NRL.

“It’s a really exciting battle. We obviously both want to play there and it’s really friendly competition. When we run [in pre-season], we run just as hard as each other,” Ramsey, 21, said of his duel with Sloan, 19.

“We know we’re both fit. I think both of us need to put on size and we need to get strength and we need to study a lot about our roles.

“We don’t really have a fullback that’s been in the game for a while to help us, so we’ve just been picking [assistant coaches] Peter Gentle and Heady’s [Matt Head] brains and see where we can go from there.”

Ramsey has played 21 games, mostly on the wing, since debuting in late 2020 and the Molong product readily admits his 82kg frame has copped some punishment.

“I’ve always been a good runner; I think it’s just the gym. I need to get a lot stronger and really study on what role I need to play,” Ramsey said.

“Size is a major thing, strength. I think everybody saw last year that I got battered a few times and the body didn’t hold up as well as I expected.”

Matt Dufty, the man Sloan or Ramsey will replace at St George Illawarra, couldn’t praise Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett highly enough after starting training with his new club.

At 25, Dufty’s NRL career is in the balance having only signed a one-year deal with Canterbury after Griffin opted against re-signing him at the Dragons.

And while Dufty and Griffin had differing opinions when it came to football – with the fullback often unable to curb his naturally expansive instincts – it seems he and Barrett are on the same page.

“Trent Barrett, you can just tell how much knowledge he’s got. Just from the first few days, he’s already talking about what he wants to do in the future and how we’re going to attack,” Dufty told the Bulldogs website.

I know Ramsey didn't impress during his time at fullback but I feel he didn't much of a chance. I'm a fan of Sloan but he also needs to pack on a few kgs of muscle. Give them both a go during trail matches! We may be lacking a superstar but I feel we have great depth going into next season. Forwards Lawrie, Woods, Molo, Burgess, Su'a, Burns, Sims, Bird, JDB, McCollough, McGuire and a few fringe first graders like Ford, Kerr and more.

Outside backs Feagai x 2, Ravalawa, Lomax, Ramsey, Suli and a few fringe first graders.

Fullback Sloan, Ramsey

Need one outside back who is a tackle buster. Hopefully one or both the Feagai's can do that.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Fullback Sloan, Ramsey

I think we are going to be a lot better than commentators and bookmakers think.
Need one outside back who is a tackle buster. Hopefully one or both the Feagai's can do that.
Amone might turn into a good tackle breaker.

Eric

Staff
St George Illawarra Dragons rookie Tyrell Sloan has his sights set on not one, but two No.1 jerseys next season.

The 19-year-old made his NRL debut in Round 15 last season and played another four games. He finished the year as St George Illawarra’s first choice fullback and is hoping he’ll start next year in the same position.

Sloan is in the mix with Cody Ramsey to wear St George Illawarra’s No.1 jersey next season. He said that coach Anthony Griffin has stressed to both of them that they need to try and be “the best defensive fullbacks in the game.” Sloan admitted he didn’t quite understand the defensive role a fullback plays when he first stepped up to the NRL, but that has changed.

“When I first came into first grade I didn’t have much of a clue about my defensive splits, but the coach said, ‘You need to be the best defensive person in the team, and that doesn’t mean tackling but organising guys into position,” he said.

Something a lot of rookies have been doing during the off-season is putting on size. Roosters duo Sam Walker and Joseph Suaalii have both put on around 5kg and Sloan is also in that boat. The young gun revealed he’s actually put on 13kg since this time last year. “My goal was to come back heavier. I had a good off-season,” he said. “I came in at 75kg last pre-season and now I’m 88kg. I want to get to 90kg.

“I feel stronger. We get fed at training but the club is always making sure I’m eating more. We have the ‘Sloaney Smoothies’ and I’m always making the protein shakes for the boys.”

We need him to start next season at 91kg and be 95 by the end of the season. I was a big fan of Dufty but I hated the way he used to get manhandled. Even worse than seeing him try to tackle. As a result of this, I wasn't disappointed to see him go. Sloan needs to be big enough to run into the teeth of the enemy kick and chase and not get dominated. I think Tedesco is around 95kgs so surely that would be enough.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
St George Illawarra Dragons rookie Tyrell Sloan has his sights set on not one, but two No.1 jerseys next season.

The 19-year-old made his NRL debut in Round 15 last season and played another four games. He finished the year as St George Illawarra’s first choice fullback and is hoping he’ll start next year in the same position.

Sloan is in the mix with Cody Ramsey to wear St George Illawarra’s No.1 jersey next season. He said that coach Anthony Griffin has stressed to both of them that they need to try and be “the best defensive fullbacks in the game.” Sloan admitted he didn’t quite understand the defensive role a fullback plays when he first stepped up to the NRL, but that has changed.

“When I first came into first grade I didn’t have much of a clue about my defensive splits, but the coach said, ‘You need to be the best defensive person in the team, and that doesn’t mean tackling but organising guys into position,” he said.

Something a lot of rookies have been doing during the off-season is putting on size. Roosters duo Sam Walker and Joseph Suaalii have both put on around 5kg and Sloan is also in that boat. The young gun revealed he’s actually put on 13kg since this time last year. “My goal was to come back heavier. I had a good off-season,” he said. “I came in at 75kg last pre-season and now I’m 88kg. I want to get to 90kg.

“I feel stronger. We get fed at training but the club is always making sure I’m eating more. We have the ‘Sloaney Smoothies’ and I’m always making the protein shakes for the boys.”

We need him to start next season at 91kg and be 95 by the end of the season. I was a big fan of Dufty but I hated the way he used to get manhandled. Even worse than seeing him try to tackle. As a result of this, I wasn't disappointed to see him go. Sloan needs to be big enough to run into the teeth of the enemy kick and chase and not get dominated. I think Tedesco is around 95kgs so surely that would be enough.
More worrisome was our props getting manhandled. Can't blame Dufty for that. Behind a decent forward pack, he'd kill it. Unfortunately for him, I don't think he'll have that at Canterbury.

Eric

Staff
More worrisome was our props getting manhandled. Can't blame Dufty for that. Behind a decent forward pack, he'd kill it. Unfortunately for him, I don't think he'll have that at Canterbury.
Bit of a stretch to blame forwards for his terrible kick returns. The whole team should have been better including Dufty. Not fair to single him out or blame the forwards for his short comings. The only one I can say was atrocious period, was Norman.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Never going to be 'a tackle buster', no matter how big. Ask Josh Kerr if size and speed ensures tackle busting.

Sloan will continue to rely on speed and agility but you are right extra kgs can only be good.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Slarzenhousen at Melbourne, the guy who ducks into tackles to get opposition suspended and wonders why he gets smacked across the head, isn't much bigger than Dufty.

Eric

Staff
Never going to be 'a tackle buster', no matter how big. Ask Josh Kerr if size and speed ensures tackle busting.

Sloan will continue to rely on speed and agility but you are right extra kgs can only be good.
Comparing chalk and cheese. Kerr can move along in a straight line after a 30m run up. There are different ways to bust tackles. Latrell Mitchell does it one way, Tedesco another and Papenhouzen a third way and all 3 are prolific. Sloan is obviously never going to be like Mitchell but with extra kgs, who knows if he can become like Tedesco.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Bit of a stretch to blame forwards for his terrible kick returns. The whole team should have been better including Dufty. Not fair to single him out or blame the forwards for his short comings. The only one I can say was atrocious period, was Norman.
On the subject of Corey Norman, I wonder if he was really "over it" or whether no clubs wanted him. I guess it's the latter. When Baldy recruited him, wasn't he an Origin player? Hard to be too critical of Baldy. Did anyone see Norman being as bad as he was?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Comparing chalk and cheese. Kerr can move along in a straight line after a 30m run up. There are different ways to bust tackles. Latrell Mitchell does it one way, Tedesco another and Papenhouzen a third way and all 3 are prolific. Sloan is obviously never going to be like Mitchell but with extra kgs, who knows if he can become like Tedesco.
The hard running of Darius Boyd combined with the ball skills of Dufty combined with the support play of Papenhauzen is a possibility.

Eric

Staff
The hard running of Darius Boyd combined with the ball skills of Dufty combined with the support play of Papenhauzen is a possibility.
Don't ask for too much from him:rolleyes:. For this year we just need him to keep improving on last year. Anything else is a bonus.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Don't ask for too much from him:rolleyes:. For this year we just need him to keep improving on last year. Anything else is a bonus.
It's doable. He already has the same or better ball skills than Dufty. There was no secret in Boyds hard running. Pick out the smallest guy and run as fast as possible straight at him in kick returns. It's good not only for the metres one gains in kick returns but tires opposition play-makers. Walker and Keary in the line for Sydney Rorters are going to provide excellent targets. BTW the correct spelling is "Papenhuyzen". It's easier to remember than "Trbojevic". I think support play is 90% fitness and effort.

Bottom line, RedV01 RedV01's hope for Sloan isn't far-fetched.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Our young guys getting even more attention. Maybe this time they are going justify the hype. Anyone remember Evander Cummings? Camerom King? Reece Robson? Who was that centre who played a few games, went to the ESL and is now in Group 6? There was a lot of hype about him. anyway......

Sloan primed to kick more goals in 2022​

It was a big season for St George Illawarra Dragons Tyrell Sloan in 2021 but the 19-year-old has more goals and ideas in mind for an even better year in 2022.

The skilful outside back made his debut in both The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup and the NRL during 2021 for the St George lllawarra Dragons.

While the COVID-19 pandemic halted all NSWRL competitions in June, and the Dragons failed to make the NRL finals, Sloan still made his presence felt.

In the NSW Cup, Sloan scored two tries in three games along with two line-breaks.

In the NRL, he scored six tries in five games, with two try assists and 13 tackle-busts.

That kind of form earned him a call-up into the 2022 Future Blues squad by Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler, with a camp being held at the NSWRL Centre of Excellence in December last year.

Although he doesn’t turn 20 until next June, Sloan is mindful of how the NSWRL pathways produce results. Prop Payne Haas was in the squad in 2019 and played Origin that year, as did Brian To’o and Liam Martin from the 2021 squad.

“For sure that’s what every player here wants to do too,” Sloan said.

“I’ve had a little taste of it in the Under 18s and Under 16s.

“So, getting those blue jerseys was a dream come true for me. Now to have a chance to pull it on in the first grade arena would be awesome. It’s very special that NSW jersey.

“Freddy had a video for us, and he spoke about taking every opportunity. Obviously, it’s probably still down the track for me a bit. I won’t look too far ahead but it would be a dream achievement that’s for sure.”

Part of his plan for improvement in 2022 is to put into action at the Dragons some of the lessons he took away from the camp, especially mingling with past and present True Blues.

“We had a couple of guest speakers – Nathan Cleary, Tom Trbojevic, Boyd Cordner,” Sloan said.

“They all had different meanings for us all and took all our questions. Boyd spoke about the toughness of Origin and the mental side of that.

“Nathan was more on dealing with setbacks and how to be professional on and off the field, and Tom talked about how to aim for consistency in everything you do.

“I really dialled into Tommy because he plays my position of fullback, so I was after all the knowledge I could get from him.

“He had a breakout year – one of the best years of any Rugby League player. So, I tried to pick his brain on everything he did throughout the year.”

The 25-member squad also benefitted from positional skills and training drills, which were provided by NSWRL royalty and former Origin captains in Immortal Andrew Johns, series-winning skippers Danny Buderus and Cordner.

“Joey was working with us, Boyd, Danny Buderus and that’s such a good thing,” Sloan said.

“We had some chats in the lecture theatre and then out on the field. All the boys were all ears and eyes, taking down notes, learning the importance of our game on and off the field.”

If Boyd Cordner played for Wests Tigers, he wouldn't have gotten close to NSW Origin team. Now he's 'a great'.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
It's doable. He already has the same or better ball skills than Dufty. There was no secret in Boyds hard running. Pick out the smallest guy and run as fast as possible straight at him in kick returns. It's good not only for the metres one gains in kick returns but tires out opposition play-makers. Walker and Keary in the line for Sydney Rorters are going to provide excellent targets. BTW the correct spelling is "Papenhuyzen". It's easier to remember than "Trbojevic". I think support play is 90% fitness and effort.

Bottom line, RedV01 RedV01's hope for Sloan isn't far-fetched.
Thank you. Not far-fetched at all.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Our young guys getting even more attention. Maybe this time they are going justify the hype. Anyone remember Evander Cummings? Camerom King? Reece Robson? Who was that centre who played a few games, went to the ESL and is now in Group 6? There was a lot of hype about him. anyway......

It was a big season for St George Illawarra Dragons Tyrell Sloan in 2021 but the 19-year-old has more goals and ideas in mind for an even better year in 2022.

The skilful outside back made his debut in both The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup and the NRL during 2021 for the St George lllawarra Dragons.

While the COVID-19 pandemic halted all NSWRL competitions in June, and the Dragons failed to make the NRL finals, Sloan still made his presence felt.

In the NSW Cup, Sloan scored two tries in three games along with two line-breaks.

In the NRL, he scored six tries in five games, with two try assists and 13 tackle-busts.

That kind of form earned him a call-up into the 2022 Future Blues squad by Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler, with a camp being held at the NSWRL Centre of Excellence in December last year.

Although he doesn’t turn 20 until next June, Sloan is mindful of how the NSWRL pathways produce results. Prop Payne Haas was in the squad in 2019 and played Origin that year, as did Brian To’o and Liam Martin from the 2021 squad.

“So, getting those blue jerseys was a dream come true for me. Now to have a chance to pull it on in the first grade arena would be awesome. It’s very special that NSW jersey.

“Freddy had a video for us, and he spoke about taking every opportunity. Obviously, it’s probably still down the track for me a bit. I won’t look too far ahead but it would be a dream achievement that’s for sure.”

Part of his plan for improvement in 2022 is to put into action at St George Illawarra Dragons some of the lessons he took away from the camp, especially mingling with past and present True Blues.

“We had a couple of guest speakers – Nathan Cleary, Tom Trbojevic, Boyd Cordner,” Sloan said.

“They all had different meanings for us all and took all our questions. Boyd spoke about the toughness of Origin and the mental side of that.

“Nathan was more on dealing with setbacks and how to be professional on and off the field, and Tom talked about how to aim for consistency in everything you do.

“I really dialled into Tommy because he plays my position of fullback, so I was after all the knowledge I could get from him.

“He had a breakout year – one of the best years of any Rugby League player. So, I tried to pick his brain on everything he did throughout the year.”

The 25-member squad also benefitted from positional skills and training drills, which were provided by NSWRL royalty and former Origin captains in Immortal Andrew Johns, series-winning skippers Danny Buderus and Cordner.

“Joey was working with us, Boyd, Danny Buderus and that’s such a good thing,” Sloan said.

“We had some chats in the lecture theatre and then out on the field. All the boys were all ears and eyes, taking down notes, learning the importance of our game on and off the field.”

If Boyd Cordner played for Wests Tigers, he wouldn't have gotten close to NSW Origin team. Now he's 'a great'.
Charly Runciman?

Eric

Staff
Charly Runciman?
Good memory!!

In the NSW Cup, Sloan scored two tries in three games along with two line-breaks. In the NRL, he scored six tries in five games, with two try assists and 13 tackle-busts.

Although he doesn’t turn 20 until June, Sloan is mindful of how the NSWRL pathways produce results. Prop Payne Haas was in the squad in 2019 and played Origin that year, as well as Brian To’o and Liam Martin from the 2021 squad.

Part of his plan for improvement in 2022 is to put into action at the Dragons some of the lessons he took away from the camp, especially mingling with past and present True Blues.

That's an interesting read. The only thing I want to see more than what Sloan has already done is put on weight while keep doing what he was doing previously. I'd be nice to have a tackle-breaking fullback who has footwork and ball skills to go with it.

Cordner pulled out big games from time to time. A few years back, I think in the GF against Melbourne, he had a blinder. Never did much for NSW.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Good memory!!

That's an interesting read. The only thing I want to see more than what Sloan has already done is put on weight while keep doing what he was doing previously. I'd be nice to have a tackle-breaking fullback who has footwork and ball skills to go with it.

Cordner pulled out big games from time to time. A few years back, I think in the GF against Melbourne, he had a blinder. Never did much for NSW.
Not so much. I just remember it because it was a dark period. Lots of St George fans were talking about him but as far as I could see, he wasn't NRL standard. Then I saw his name in the NSW Cup team not long ago.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

In the NSW Cup, Sloan scored two tries in three games along with two line-breaks. In the NRL, he had an even better strike rate when he scored six tries in five games, with two try assists and 13 tackle-busts.

That kind of form earned him a call-up into the 2022 Future Blues squad by NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler, with a camp being held at the NSWRL Centre of Excellence in December last year.

“For sure that’s what every player here wants to do too,” Sloan said. “I’ve had a little taste of it in the Under 18s and Under 16s. “So, getting those blue jerseys was a dream come true for me. Now to have a chance to pull it on in the first grade arena would be awesome. It’s very special that NSW jersey. “Freddy had a video for us, and he spoke about taking every opportunity. Obviously, it’s probably still down the track for me a bit. I won’t look too far ahead but it would be a dream achievement that’s for sure.”

That centre, as far as I remember, was never in any conversation about being a future NSW Origin player.

I hate to labour the point but unless our forwards and going forward, Sloan, Sullivan, Amone won't star. They'll hold thier own at best. Poor Dufty. Could have done better with his chances but playing behind a team on the back foot far more often than not must have been hard.