Griffin & Hunt

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Well it is being reported that the board has rubber stamped a any cost approach to keep Hunt as a dragon until his career ends in 2025. If thats the case moving forward our halves combo will remain the same at least for 23/24 seasons in my view. My only issue is if they offer him $1m per season how are we going to afford or more importantly entice the props we need to make us competitive. Every knowledgable coach or ex player will tell you their wins are based upon the engine room making those hard metres up the middle 3rd of the park and consistently making the advantage line. I dont think the lure of being able to go ten pin bowling with the coach will be sufficient enough. Time will tell who wants to come and play under the current coach and cpt.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Well it is being reported that the board has rubber stamped a any cost approach to keep Hunt as a dragon until his career ends in 2025. If thats the case moving forward our halves combo will remain the same at least for 23/24 seasons in my view. My only issue is if they offer him $1m per season how are we going to afford or more importantly entice the props we need to make us competitive. Every knowledgable coach or ex player will tell you their wins are based upon the engine room making those hard metres up the middle 3rd of the park and consistently making the advantage line. I dont think the lure of being able to go ten pin bowling with the coach will be sufficient enough. Time will tell who wants to come and play under the current coach and cpt.
Where has it been reported?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Great negotiating tactic. 'We'll give you whatever you want for as long as you want.'

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Madness. If Hunt was a super star I'd say go for it but he is not.
He is not worth $1m and if they offer him this extension deal they are an incompetent board that have lost the loyalty of their fans. With Hunt here till 2015 and as Amone's partner I can not see any great improvement in our halves from the present position. Craig Young we need a clever ball player at half to allow Amone to free his feet. Otherwise he may as well play in the three quarters.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
He is not worth a $1m and if they offer him this deal they are an incompetent board that have lost the loyalty of their fans. With Hunt here till 2015 and as Amone's partner I can not see any great improvement from the present position. Craig Young we need a clever ball player at half to allow Amone to free his feet. Otherwise he may as well play in the three quarters.
'Great ball players' don't grow on trees but I agree in regards to the Hunt-Amone combo. Hunt would be a good signing for significantly less than 1mil a season on condition he is used in the same way QLD have used him in Origin for the last few years.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Yes we need at least one quality prop and definitely a second rower to replace Sims, to join Lawrie, JDB, Jaiden Hunt, Sua to make those hard metres. But how the hell do we do that when we are spending cap money we dont have on the over rated Ben Hunt.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Is Suli ready to make the transition to the engine room. We sure could use his tackle busting bulk if big George is let go.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
QLD have used him in Origin for the last few years.
Not as a half tho. At hooker.
Great ball players' don't grow on trees
I read often about the emergence of promising young play makers that are stuck behind established ones in the stronger clubs. We could go shopping for one on the cheap and offer him a development contract. Alternately we can take a closer look at our home based halves. We need Ben's leadership, plus his kicking game, but hey he can do that at hooker and give Amone, who incidently has just added a further year to his contract, a good ball playing partner.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Is Suli ready to make the transition to the engine room. We sure could use his tackle busting bulk if big George is let go.
It's a nice idea and it may be possible but often these big backs don't have the right kind of stamina and can't gain it. Sitting out in the centres and making a few runs and a few tackles each half requires much less stamina than forwards.

Not saying it can't or shouldn't happen. Just saying it's not so simple just because he's big enough.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He is not worth $1m and if they offer him this extension deal they are an incompetent board that have lost the loyalty of their fans. With Hunt here till 2015 and as Amone's partner I can not see any great improvement in our halves from the present position. Craig Young we need a clever ball player at half to allow Amone to free his feet. Otherwise he may as well play in the three quarters.
I have been saying consistently that we will not be a competitive team until 25 based on the fact that our engine room is insufficient in allowing our playmakers the time to move and run the plays. If we spend too much on our marquee player we simply can't afford to get what we need

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
on the fact that our engine room is insufficient in allowing our playmakers the time to move and run the plays.

Ben Hunt has been with the club since 2018. Back then we had plenty of size and go forward in the engine room.. Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims, James Graham plus dummy half Cameron McInnes with local St George junior monster Luciano Leilua, Leeson Ah Mau and Blake Lawrie on the bench. Did Benny kill em that year and the following by utilising the extra room he had to run his wizard like plays. Dont reckon so. But his more creative partner Gareth Widdop did and continued to be our prime play maker until he left us..

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I have been saying consistently that we will not be a competitive team until 25 based on the fact that our engine room is insufficient in allowing our playmakers the time to move and run the plays. If we spend too much on our marquee player we simply can't afford to get what we need
Other clubs have no trouble with playmakers and spine players generally on huge money and still enough left over for quality forwards and outside backs.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Ben Hunt has been with the club since 2018. Back then we had plenty of size and go forward in the engine room.. Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims, with local St George junior monster Luciano Leilua and Blake Lawrie on the bench. Did Benny kill em that year and the following from the extra room he had to run his wizard like plays..
Good point.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Good point.
James Graham, Cameron McInnes. Missed those two in my first draft. Mac , unlike our current Mac , was outstanding from dummy half that year, second behind only Damien Cook for metres gained. Also set up nine of our tries.

Last edited: