Griffin & Hunt

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Hunt is highly regarded by just about every NRL commentator, opposition coach and players. As captain he should be seen to support the current coach but to say if Griffin is sacked he does not want to start over again is not what the club wants to hear. If the club is paying you mega bucks you are expected to step out of your comfort zone to get the team you lead to start winning games. Hunt is our best player by a country mile. I hope he stays on, leads by example by supporting the new coach and brings back the winning culture to the mighty RED V.
Disagree. I think he's a good player but a little overrated.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
If the club is paying you mega bucks you are expected to step out of your comfort zone to get the team you lead to start winning games.
This I do agree with. Sadly Ben Hunt thinks the world revolves around Ben Hunt. Paying him massive overs the past 5 years has him living in fantasy land. Surprised he is still our team leader as disloyalty should not be tolerated. He too, will be shocked to learn that even he is dispensable.

BTW Pro Dragons welcome to the forum. Tell us a little about yourself on the Intro thread.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Hunt is highly regarded by just about every NRL commentator, opposition coach and players. As captain he should be seen to support the current coach but to say if Griffin is sacked he does not want to start over again is not what the club wants to hear. If the club is paying you mega bucks you are expected to step out of your comfort zone to get the team you lead to start winning games. Hunt is our best player by a country mile. I hope he stays on, leads by example by supporting the new coach and brings back the winning culture to the mighty RED V.
I was a fan of Hunt. I defended him early on in his contract when so many people were denouncing him as overrated, overpaid and etc. Since Griffin arrived, his form has been better, vindicating my basic argument from that time but his ego has spiraled out of control! It's not all his fault. Hear Meninga and Cronk raving about Hunt in the pre-game show on Saturday? It was out of control! To the point of being outright deluded! Cooper Cronk referred the final play against the Tigers. He said something about "Hunt was trying so hard right to the end." Yes, he was. Too much and he screwed up! I've lost patience with him. I hope he goes with Griffin. Good player, massive ego, on massive overs, past his best.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Typical of our Board dismissing a man who has coached at national level for two that have never head coached at any level. And what of Hasler and Flanagan, not a word that they knocked us back. Didnt even know we were interested in Billy Slater, yet I saw his printed refusal.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Typical of our Board dismissing a man who has coached at national level for two that have never head coached at any level. And what of Hasler and Flanagan, not a word that they knocked us back. Didnt even know we were interested in Billy Slater, yet I saw his printed refusal.
Don't think these's anything in that Slater story. He said the first he heard of it was in the media. It was never mentioned to him and if it was mentioned to his manager, he never heard about it.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The good news is that so far it all seems like media speculation. No leaks from the club. Hasler or Flanagan may yet get the nod.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Anyone know what time our nightmare is going to be sacked? I'm guessing there'll be an interim coach while the board do "due diligence" for another several weeks. Or months. If the interim gets a few wins, the board might appoint him full-time for a few years in order to save money.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Anyone know what time our nightmare is going to be sacked? I'm guessing there'll be an interim coach while the board do "due diligence" for another several weeks. Or months. If the interim gets a few wins, the board might appoint him full-time for a few years in order to save money.
I'd say interim coach how long for? Who knows

Eric

Staff

This rumor is getting noisier. Like I say Hunt is not indispensable.
Paul Crawley nailed it again. He pointed out Hunt was 33 (same as the coach) and if he wanted out, Dragons should say, "bye". We saw in the Cowboys game. Things went pear-shaped as soon as Hunt moved to halfback. I think he's a really good hooker but is he so much better than Liddle? Not so sure considering one in on a minimum wage or close to it and one is one of the higest paid players in the game.

But I'd add, as long as his next club is picking up at least 75% of his salary.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
as long as his next club is picking up at least 75% of his salary.
We can only pray as looks like Hunt is staying, with Ryan Carr saying the skipper is ''totally committed '' to the club. Of course he'd say that as he isn't seeing hordes of rival club managers climbing over themselves for his signiture. He now realises what a good wicket he is on here, but has to get used to Carr splitting his time between hooker and half. So more sooking.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
We can only pray as looks like Hunt is staying, with Ryan Carr saying the skipper is ''totally committed '' to the club. Of course he'd say that as he isn't seeing hordes of rival club managers climbing over themselves for his signiture. He now realises what a good wicket he is on here, but has to get used to Carr splitting his time between hooker and half. So more sooking.
I guess if any clubs were knocking and saying, "Well pay 100% of your salary for the next 2 years and raise it by 5%, Benny suddenly wouldn't be so "totally committed".