Griffin & Hunt

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

‘Didn’t rate him’: Panthers leak reveals shock Ciraldo-Griffin​

• The Bulldogs coach was promoted from his role as the Panthers’ under-20s coach in Griffin’s second year at the foot of the mountains, but quickly learned their two coaching styles wouldn’t mesh.
  • Ciraldo tried to quit his role as Griffin’s assistant not once but twice, only to be convinced to stay by ex-Penrith general manager Phil Gould
  • “He (Griffin) didn’t listen to Ciro,” an anonymous Panthers official told the publication. “He didn’t rate him. Hook was old school but Ciro was this new-age coach.
  • “Hook was also jealous of the relationship Ciro had with Gus, but also the players in that team. “Instead of using that to his advantage, he shut Ciro out.”
  • Although Griffin represents more of an old-school coach, there was reportedly a breakfast where he seemingly opened up to his fellow coaches and asked them how he could improve. But once his assistants began to offer suggestions, Griffin seemed more focused on eating his breakfast than paying attention to what they had to say.
That last part seems like Hook to a T

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
  • Hook was also jealous of the relationship Ciro had with Gus, but also the players in that team. “Instead of using that to his advantage, he shut Ciro out.”
  • Although Griffin represents more of an old-school coach, there was reportedly a breakfast where he seemingly opened up to his fellow coaches and asked them how he could improve. But once his assistants began to offer suggestions, Griffin seemed more focused on eating his breakfast than paying attention to what they had to say.
The perfect reasons to bring him to our club. This useless Board need a rocket.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I mean, he was playing like a reserve grader for a season or 2 under McGregor. No matter what one thinks about him, he's much better than that. As he proved as soon as McGregor was sent on his way.

Good question. Certainly not yet but if not for Lomax as the long term captain, who else is there? Just putting it out there that if JDB was captain for 2 years after that Amone or Sullivan might ahve grown into good potential captains.
Has merit.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Sorry guys , but this love affair between Hook and Hunt is sickening , and Hunt in my opinion is becoming a big Sook , get over it and lead the joint on and off the field ...... Threatening to leave , then go , and open the door wide enough so Hook can get through , then shut the door behind you ......
Agree completely. Someone in upper management should have told him a while to start winning games, hand a good part of your salary back or shut your mouth!

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Speculation Canberra, Canterbury and Dolphins could make a play for Hunt. Not sure why they wouldn't nominate Newcastle and Wests Tigers. Personally I support letting him go if that turns out to be true. No matter what anyone thinks of him as a player, captain, halfback, hooker or whatever, the fact is the club isn't getting the results with him as our marquee player.

Let him go and then offer Joey Manu 1.2mil a season.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Speculation Canberra, Canterbury and Dolphins could make a play for Hunt. Not sure why they wouldn't nominate Newcastle and Wests Tigers. Personally I support letting him go if that turns out to be true. No matter what anyone thinks of him as a player, captain, halfback, hooker or whatever, the fact is the club isn't getting the results with him as our marquee player.

If they are willing to pick up 85% or more of what Dragons are paying him this is a no-brainer.

Eric

Staff

Personally I was very much against re-signing him. Good player but 33 years-old and a very promising young halfback stuck behind him.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg

X2 .....

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Disagree. Don't need a marquee player at all. Concentrate on unearthing marquee players who will be happy to stay at the Dragons for less money than they could get elsewhere.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Disagree. Don't need a marquee player at all. Concentrate on unearthing marquee players who will be happy to stay at the Dragons for less money than they could get elsewhere.
Might not need to recruit one from outside. Depends on how much salary cap space the club has. From next season, no player is going to be on marquee money unless someone is recruited soon. Don't see who that could be for next year. The year after there are plenty of options but the clubs they are at now still have 3 months to extend them.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Speculation Canberra, Canterbury and Dolphins could make a play for Hunt.
May be a moot point as his manager said as recently as yesterday that Hunt is staying put as he has not been asked to ''shop him around.'' So guys looks like we are stuck with him to continue to muddy the waters.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Roosters won let go of Manu. Besides he is not a play maker. If we wanna look outside prefer we looked at Sam Walker or Josh Schuster for less coin.
I think that's a good idea. Not Sam Walker. Would much prefer Bud Sullivan. But should only throw huge money at a good ball player, not ball runner. The best fullbacks are both but not sure about Manu.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
May be a moot point as his manager said as recently as yesterday that Hunt is staying put as he has not been asked to ''shop him around.'' So guys looks like we are stuck with him to continue to muddy the waters.
A new coach will put him in his place. And I think if a new coach tells him he is going to play hooker, his manager will be shopping him around in no time at all.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Not Sam Walker
You watch him back when he played for the Aussie Schoolboys and Junior 'Roos. Outstanding. Politis only goes after quality players.

I expect Des Hasler, who I hear is firming, had plenty to do with the development of Schuster, so he may try to bring him here. Looks a good ball player and may be suited either at 5/8 or lock after JDB retires.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
You watch him back when he played for the Aussie Schoolboys and Junior 'Roos. Outstanding. Politis only goes after quality players.

I expect Des Hasler, who I hear is firming, had plenty to do with the development of Schuster, so he may try to bring him here. Looks a good ball player and may be suited either at 5/8 or lock after JDB retires.
Schuster would be a great pick-up to play 5/8 but he'd have to lose weight. I thought part of the problem with Hasler was that he wanted to keep Foran but Schuster wanted to play 5/8. It became a cause of friction between Hasler and the Fulton faction.