New Hooker

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

NRL 2023: Former Storm hooker Haele Finau wants Dragons No.9 jersey after Andrew McCullough retirement​

Andrew McCullough’s retirement has sparked a battle for the No.9 jersey at the Dragons and a former Melbourne Storm rookie is gunning for a round one spot. Any thoughts?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

NRL 2023: Former Storm hooker Haele Finau wants Dragons No.9 jersey after Andrew McCullough retirement​

Andrew McCullough’s retirement has sparked a battle for the No.9 jersey at the Dragons and a former Melbourne Storm rookie is gunning for a round one spot. Any thoughts?
He's 22 or 23, isn't he? And never gotten a look in for first grade? I'm pinning our hopes on Hunt in the short term and Hooper in the long term.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Good luck to him. Maybe not so much in 2023 but in 2024 there is going to some serious competition for hooker at the Dragons. If Hunt transitions to hooker and Hooper and Purcell both make it, which I think there is a good chance will happen.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Just on this , I have feeling that Liddle might just surprise us ...... Will be quicker around the ruck than most might think ..... Time will tell as long as Hook gives him ago .....

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Just on this , I have feeling that Liddle might just surprise us ...... Will be quicker around the ruck than most might think ..... Time will tell as long as Hook gives him ago .....
Will be quicker than McCullough but that's setting a low bar.

I hope you're right.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Will be quicker than McCullough but that's setting a low bar.

I hope you're right.
He'll be a 50% improvement vs Macca but unfortunately still one of the worst #9s in the competition. But I hope Illusion Illusion is right too. Liddle only has one year before Hooper for one and the other Flegg #9 from this year, are ready for first grade.

Eric

Staff
There's also the one from Melbourne who this thread was originally about and Ben Hunt will surely finish his career at hooker.

So after this year, should be an embarrassment of riches.
If Hooper or Purcell and Sullivan all come good, who can we trade Hunt to? Broncos? I think they are lacking a good hooker and Adam Reynolds is I think younger than Hunt but he's not a great athlete. His body is struggling to keep up with the modern game. Next year might be his last.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
His stats for 22 were 11 games played avg 32 tackles a game misses 2 tackles a game. Only made 3 1/2 runs a game, avg 36m. It's not awe inspiring stuff I'm afraid. In my view we have replaced like for like in the attacking options. I personally don't rate him as a starting 13 hooker. I think based on those stats you are being very optimistic.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
His stats for 22 were 11 games played avg 32 tackles a game misses 2 tackles a game. Only made 3 1/2 runs a game, avg 36m. It's not awe inspiring stuff I'm afraid. In my view we have replaced like for like in the attacking options. I personally don't rate him as a starting 13 hooker. I think based on those stats you are being very optimistic.
Let's wait and see ..... then I will put my hand up either way .....

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
11 games played avg 32 tackles a game misses 2 tackles a game. Only made 3 1/2 runs a game, avg 36m.
Better than the snail. His average running metres were between 5 -10m and be lucky to make two per game. Tackle numbers are similar. Is younger and fitter too. Liddle needs to be looking over his shoulder at the young Muhleisen who'll be out to pinch his starting spot. Finau and Hooper wont be far away either.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Better than the snail. His average running metres were between 5 -10m and be lucky to make two per game. Tackle numbers are similar. Is younger and fitter too. Liddle needs to be looking over his shoulder at the young Muhleisen who'll be out to pinch his starting spot. Finau and Hooper wont be far away either.
Definitely an improvement but is probably still worst first choice hooker in the competition. If he does end up being first choice.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Definitely an improvement. I just fear it's going to be a very small improvement.
Time will tell and don't really know if Hook will actually use him long term ..... He may play someone else out of left field knowing him .....