Round 15: St George Illawarra Dragons vs South Sydney Rabbitohs

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I was crook yesterday. Wow we downed the Bunnies without JDB. Two wins from four under Carr. The Red V spirit was on show at our spiritual home.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Carr wont be happy that we blew a commanding 36-14 lead. Again shows lack of fitness and our inability to close out games. We need a better physical training instructor pronto.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Feagai missed a one on one tackle for one try and Rava was a mile off his wing for another. Sloan most run metres 184, double what he has been making. He also made one line break.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
More than double his season average.

Neither stood out.
Must be watching a different game. Stats will prove you wrong. Both were powerful, Lawrie in the second half of his spell was outstanding.. ran 100m from about 40 mins, usually plays more.
Will watch replay and make my own judgement.
Sua takes top spot then out of Sloan, Hunt or Mike Molo for 2/3.
Was Sloans best since the Anzac Day match, was heavily involved, sniffing around the ball never surrendered in the tackle in fact ran the ball back intently and defused every bomb.The one tackle he had to make, he slowed Cook sufficiently for the chasing defense to collar him.

Hunt was also busy, made a few good plays, tackled better than usual while his kicking game was spot on. Did not make many of his darting runs close to the line tho.

Molo, the pocket battleship, strong hit ups, topped the tackle count, scored a try and even got involved at second receiver like Jack often does.. He was our second best starting forward.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Downsides:
We clocked off too soon again. Carr will be seething over that finish after he goes nutso over the previous 70 mins.

BBM must have something on the FO to be playing first grade, starting and playing full mins. Dead set he hides deep in the back line, makes the odd decent run and tackle, but generally is a waste of space

Rava's defense and reading of defense was as bad today as Fegais has been for weeks..

Sullivan was hardly spotted. Has blown his chance to unseat Amone imho.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Must be watching a different game. Stats will prove you wrong. Both were powerful, Lawrie in the second half of his spell was outstanding.. ran 100m from about 40 mins, usually plays more.

Not giving him full points. 2 perhaps behind Sua, giving Sloan 3, far more involvement, never surrendered in the tackle in fact ran the ball back intently and defused every bomb.
Mike Molo, the pocket battleship, strong hit ups, topped the tackle count, scored a try and even got involved at second receiver like Jack often does.. He was our second best starting foward, with Lawrie our best off the bench. Hope he starts next match.
I think M. Molo is better than his bigger, bigger name brother.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The tale of the tape / stat's. Sloan much maligned because of his insufficient work rate. To me he is trying to model his game on his idol Latrelle Mitchell who becomes involved when he sees fit but unlike Mitchell Sloan doesn't have the same impact. In saying that career best numbers 20 runs, avg 10, 184m, 5 tackle busts, 1 line break, 2 try assists as I mentioned earlier in the season he needs to be sniffing around the edges of the ruck yesterday he did so kudos to the kid now consistency in those numbers will help us avoid the spoon. Forwards, 4 ran for 100m plus M Molo closely followed by Su'a. Su'a was the standout for me Lawrie very strong off the bench where I always believed that we get the best out of him, if we just had those 2 big bookends to start and then Lawrie comes on. Lomax/Rav best of the backs God knows why Griffin split our best attacking combo up. We had 57% of the ball 75% completion rate which got us over the line. Poor game management in the last 10 min nearly cost us a deserving win.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Downsides: the whale BBM must have something on the FO to be playing full mins and going walkabout for half his time, he makes one or two decent runs and tackles but mostly clogs our back line moves.

Rava's defense and reading of defense was as bad today as Fegais has been..

Sullivan was hardly spotted. Has blown his chance to unseat Amone imho.

It was a team effort
We topped most team stats.
Our defense coach will want our tackle effectiveness at 90% not the current low 80s.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
In saying that career best numbers 20 runs, avg 10, 184m, 5 tackle busts, 1 line break, 2 try assists as I mentioned earlier in the season he needs to be sniffing around the edges of the ruck yesterday he did so kudos to the kid
He deserves the top gong with those terrific stats. If he can bottle consistency as he matures what an asset he will be. If he wants to emulate his hero Latrell, then pile on 10 more kilos Tyrell.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The tale of the tape / stat's. Sloan much maligned because of his insufficient work rate. To me he is trying to model his game on his idol Latrelle Mitchell who becomes involved when he sees fit but unlike Mitchell Sloan doesn't have the same impact. In saying that career best numbers 20 runs, avg 10, 184m, 5 tackle busts, 1 line break, 2 try assists as I mentioned earlier in the season he needs to be sniffing around the edges of the ruck yesterday he did so kudos to the kid now consistency in those numbers will help us avoid the spoon. Forwards, 4 ran for 100m plus M Molo closely followed by Su'a. Su'a was the standout for me Lawrie very strong off the bench where I always believed that we get the best out of him, if we just had those 2 big bookends to start and then Lawrie comes on. Lomax/Rav best of the backs God knows why Griffin split our best attacking combo up. We had 57% of the ball 75% completion rate which got us over the line. Poor game management in the last 10 min nearly cost us a deserving win.
There was also THAT missed tackle on Cook.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
There was also THAT missed tackle on Cook.
I mentioned that in my analysis. He managed to slow him sufficiently for the chasing defense. We need to be more scathing over the shoddy defense that allowed those three late tries, turning a thrashing into a close one in the end. Just who is our defense coach. And are we bringing in another assistant for Ryan Carr?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I mentioned that in my analysis. He managed to slow him sufficiently for the chasing defense. We need to be more scathing over the shoddy defense that allowed those three late tries, turning a thrashing into a close one in the end. Just who is our defense coach. And are we bringing in another assistant for Ryan Carr?
This kind of thing has been happening far too often!
  • Birds numerous examples of stepping out of the way, flinging an arm out at best.
  • Sloan's well publicised defensive frailties.
  • Amone's defensive frailties.
  • Feagai and Suli being out of position.
  • Feagai's "indifferent" defence a few weeks ago, I think it was Griffins last game. He wasn't out of position but just run straight over a few times.
  • I think it was Musgrove or BMM who did a Jack Bird in the lead-up to Souths first try.