Round 2 vs Dolphins

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
You all know me by now and how I love my stat's especially when it comes to at least 3 in my pack making 100m a game . It was my experience the more of your pack that could reach that goal the more competitive your team would be. So No surprise to tell you all not 1 forward ran for 100m . That means to me your not going forward and you can't be competitive. Lawrie off the bench 91m was our best. Both teams ran 186 times during the game, Dolphins ran for 1,857m we ran for 1,443m, over 400m less go forward. No wonder we were flogged. We missed 29 tackles, up from 17 last week but a lot of missed tackles were in our own half, a recipe for disaster. We made 12 errors against 6. Our completion rate fell away in the 2nd half to just 76%. Their kicking/chase game was far superior to ours, Dolphins making 216m we made 107m. I did warn to be extremely careful of a Bennett coached team bouncing back, and they did using us as a trampoline. As I have been consistently saying since 2021 we are 2 big bodied props short of being a competitive top 8 team. Nothing in the last 2 weeks has changed that view. I know young Fifita is not quite ready for the rigours of 1st grade but we need him in the 17 in my opinion. Next week we play the Cowboys who were very ordinary against the Knights but still managed a win.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Let's be honest here, yes you need players like Blake Lawrie in every pack. He is the work horse the bloke that punches above his weight every game and inspires others. But if he was on the open market you wouldn't see other teams climbing over each other to obtain his signature.
True.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
You all know me by now and how I love my stat's especially when it comes to at least 3 in my pack making 100m a game . It was my experience the more of your pack that could reach that goal the more competitive your team would be. So No surprise to tell you all not 1 forward ran for 100m . That means to me your not going forward and you can't be competitive. Lawrie off the bench 91m was our best. Both teams ran 186 times during the game, Dolphins ran for 1,857m we ran for 1,443m, over 400m less go forward. No wonder we were flogged. We missed 29 tackles, up from 17 last week but a lot of missed tackles were in our own half, a recipe for disaster. We made 12 errors against 6. Our completion rate fell away in the 2nd half to just 76%. Their kicking/chase game was far superior to ours, Dolphins making 216m we made 107m. I did warn to be extremely careful of a Bennett coached team bouncing back, and they did using us as a trampoline. As I have been consistently saying since 2021 we are 2 big bodied props short of being a competitive top 8 team. Nothing in the last 2 weeks has changed that view. I know young Fifita is not quite ready for the rigours of 1st grade but we need him in the 17 in my opinion. Next week we play the Cowboys who were very ordinary against the Knights but still managed a win.
I'm nervous about next. Worried we wont just get beaten but flogged.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sloan looked good in attack but went with the wrong option on every break.
That last try he should of tucked the ball under the arm and dived. He bombed that try.
Lomax great effort again but he can not continue to be a battering ram. He will end up physically and mentally fatigued.
We can't run with 4 edges in the team
Luch looked under done and needs big minutes in ressie.
Tom great defence but nothing in attack back to ressies
We have no size in the middle.
BMM effort last week as impact and on Saturday gets him a bench spot
Hame hopefully back
Fifita should get another chance
I seen enough from Jesse on weekend that he should be given the 14
I'd liked to see changes in the backs but its too early for Flanno to admit he got it wrong.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
That last try he should of tucked the ball under the arm and dived. He bombed that try.
Lomax great effort again but he can not continue to be a battering ram. He will end up physically and mentally fatigued.
Hame hopefully back
I'd liked to see changes in the backs but its too early for Flanno to admit he got it wrong.
Agree 100% except for BMM and Fifta. I'd go with at least one of the Couchmans.

And Zac centre, Bird bench rather than Marschke, Bird has to learn to play 10~15min hooker each game to give Liddle a break.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
1 on 1 tackles when it counts
I saw two fine one on ones when they counted. He was the only one to have a crack at that runaway winger because he was on the spot sniffing around the ball that you say he never does. Made a valiant diving attempt but was given a good fend off. He is showing more intent in defense this year. Can only get better now he has the attitude. Give the kid some credit.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
At least he is putting himself into try scoring situations. Others did not have a clue. He did take the correct option in his first break but mistimed his chip kick. Still the bounce could easily have been in his favor. I agree with rest of your summary, almost word for word.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
At least he is putting himself into try scoring situations. Others did not have a clue. He did take the correct option in his first break but mistimed his chip kick. Still the bounce could easily have been in his favor. I agree with rest of your summary, almost word for word.
Definitely need more in attack. As of right now we have Hunt who can beat a tackle or two close to the line, Sloan to do something or just brute force. Need to admit he got it wrong with Zac and move him back to centre. That's the first and most obvious step.

And people could argue Sloan should have made that tackle on their fullback but could also argue it was just a very good fend and it would have beaten anyone.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
And Zac centre, Bird bench rather than Marschke, Bird has to learn to play 10~15min hooker each game to give Liddle a break.
Can you see Bird being a dummy half. Dont make me laff. Marschke for mine to give Liddle a breather. If Flanagan and Hunt stink it up again then Flanagan has Marschke on standby.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Hame hopefully back
Mike Molo and Eisenhuth are hard workers, won't let you down but really don't trouble the opposition at al in attack. And they might tackle a lot but hardly put any fear into opposition ball runners. Lawrie is a bit like that as well. He certainly doesn't scare the opposition in attack or defence. There is only room for 1 or max 2 players like that in every good team.

Luch definitely needs a few games playing long minutes in reserve grade but then needs to be in the team.

Su'a was good in the trials and round one but it looked like he stopped trying yesterday. He has a habit of avoiding criticism for one reason or another. I'd say RFM and Su'a should be the starting backrowers next week but after a few weeks, it should be a shootout between those 2 and Luch. I can't find a spot for Eisenhuth or Mike Molo.

On the subject, Frank Molo is also really hot and cold. I don't think he club should re-sign him.

The forward rotation I'd be going with this week would be:
  • JDB
  • F. Molo
  • Lawrie
  • RFM
  • Fifita
  • Ryan Couchman
  • Toby Couchman
  • Eisenhuth (due to a lack of options)
Hooker rotation is a problem as Liddle can't play 80min.
Frank suspended for a week with early plea.
Ok. So I guess Mike gets another chance.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I saw two fine one on ones when they counted. He was the only one to have a crack at that runaway winger because he was on the spot sniffing around the ball that you say he never does. Made a valiant diving attempt but was given a good fend off. He is showing more intent in defense this year. Can only get better now he has the attitude. Give the kid some credit.
I did last week. What you need to understand is that there has to be consistency. I heaped praise on the kid last week as I believe credit where credit is due. But because he makes a valiant diving attempt does necessarily mean it was a good attempt. It was poor, he has the toe to match most players, use that toe to be in a better position to execute the tackle not dive for the sake of diving and making it look good on TV. He still has a long way to go defensively. Just my opinion.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I did last week. What you need to understand is that there has to be consistency. I heaped praise on the kid last week as I believe credit where credit is due. But because he makes a valiant diving attempt does necessarily mean it was a good attempt. It was poor, he has the toe to match most players, use that toe to be in a better position to execute the tackle not dive for the sake of diving and making it look good on TV. He still has a long way to go defensively. Just my opinion.
At least now he's getting the ball in his hands more. Defence has improved but still needs work.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Hame hopefully back
Agree. I have said consistently since 2021 we have lacked 2 big bodied props that can consistently make the advantage line in the first 3 hit ups. Until we get those props we won't be playing semi finals football anytime soon. This week's missed tackle count was 29 up from 17 but 33% of that 29 was inside our red zone. Every single week every team has targeted Hunt in the defensive line and yet we don't make the necessary changes to have our best defender standing next to him akin to the glory days with Soward and Scott/Costigan combination, perhaps its because we lack an enforcer and have done so for the last 5 yrs. Hunt missed 5 tackles which is his avg over the years but our main offender was Su'a with 7 missed tackles. There has to be a response from the coach selection wise because I'm sure he wouldn't have accepted that performance. Just my views

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Long article about this behind a paywall in the DT about the game.
  • Toby Couchman had a blinder in the NSW Cup.
  • Fifita should come in for F. Molo (suspended).
  • Dragons ran for almost 500m less than Dolphins.
  • Leilua needs to spend time in the NSW Cup to get his fitness up.
  • Tom Eisenhuth in particular ran for only 15m! None of the forwards over 100.
  • Even though Lomax continues to pump out the metres, putting him back to centre to link with Ravalawa might be a good idea.
  • Christian Tuipolotu and Sione Finau both played well in the NSW Cup. The latter has speed team desperately needs.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Long article about this behind a paywall in the DT about the game.
  • Toby Couchman had a blinder in the NSW Cup.
  • Fifita should come in for F. Molo (suspended).
  • Dragons ran for almost 500m less than Dolphins.
  • Leilua needs to spend time in the NSW Cup to get his fitness up.
  • Tom Eisenhuth in particular ran for only 15m! None of the forwards over 100.
  • Even though Lomax continues to pump out the metres, putting him back to centre to link with Ravalawa might be a good idea.
  • Christian Tuipolotu and Sione Finau both played well in the NSW Cup. The latter has speed team desperately needs.
Can't wait for this week's team list