Round 21: St George Illawarra v Wests Tigers

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
BLOCKA 148 RM.. back to his best.

Amone outplayed Hunt. Doubled his runs and metres. One try assist a piece.

Four with just under 40 tackles.

Bird 13 miserable metres, waste of space and money. Delist him..

Well off the cellar bottom floor now.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Hopefully this was being closely watched by the Win side of the board, that is the lowest attendance in living memory at Win stadium. They have been put on notice, and that was a miserable game of football. Back in the day in the sheds after that performance, I would have a beer or two, thank god, then tell them straight that the win would be reviewed by the coaches as a loss see you Tuesday night where we will sit through that shit and identify what is going wrong and how we are going to try and fix it. Apart from a few of you don't take for granted that you will be in the team on Thursday. F.M. I'm going home enjoy your free beers.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Hopefully this was being closely watched by the Win side of the board, that is the lowest attendance in living memory at Win stadium. They have been put on notice, and that was a miserable game of football. Back in the day in the sheds after that performance, I would have a beer or two, thank god, then tell them straight that the win would be reviewed by the coaches as a loss see you Tuesday night where we will sit through that shit and identify what is going wrong and how we are going to try and fix it. Apart from a few of you don't take for granted that you will be in the team on Thursday. F.M. I'm going home enjoy your free beers.
Well said again! It was about as bad a win as they come.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Must be acting on instructions from the coach, right? Otherwise they'd have both been dropped by now.
To my eye it's instinctive, the timing has to be spot on otherwise you look pretty ordinary. It's the domain of the defensive coach to identify the individual players strengths and weaknesses and try to balance the two. Then it's your teams defensive structures whether you play one on one, in and out(sliding), out and in (umbrella). If you give lienancy in those structures you need a contingency plan. In my day that would be your fullback sliding across towards the sideline to cover your winger in case he missed, then you are relying on your centre to read the play. Obviously fraught with danger especially when your winger and fullback isn't up to the task.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
To my eye it's instinctive, the timing has to be spot on otherwise you look pretty ordinary. It's the domain of the defensive coach to identify the individual players strengths and weaknesses and try to balance the two. Then it's your teams defensive structures whether you play one on one, in and out(sliding), out and in (umbrella). If you give lienancy in those structures you need a contingency plan. In my day that would be your fullback sliding across towards the sideline to cover your winger in case he missed, then you are relying on your centre to read the play. Obviously fraught with danger especially when your winger and fullback isn't up to the task.
Our last 2 or 3 defensive coaches must have been idiots!

Eric

Staff
Obviously jodragon40 jodragon40 knows better than me but I wonder if it has something to do with our unbelievably slow backline.

Other teams wingers also rush in, not as much but sometimes, but cover is running across, forcing the winger to come in from the sideline. If the player, usually a winger rushing in doesn't shut the play down.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Hard to get enthused by that performance. Zac, Blocka and Liddle were about our best. Zac still denied good clean ball in space yet averages well over 100m every game. Too pieces of magic, Junior in the first half and Zac in the second.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Our last 2 or 3 defensive coaches must have been idiots!
Mate, in the end its up to the head coach to pull that player aside and stress to him either temper his enthusiasm, pick the right time to go in , pick the right team and player. Don't make it a regular play that opponents can plan a play around. Otherwise if it costs us games your in reserves until you learn to play to our structures.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Obviously jodragon40 jodragon40 knows better than me but I wonder if it has something to do with our unbelievably slow backline.

Other teams wingers also rush in, not as much but sometimes, but cover is running across, forcing the winger to come in from the sideline. If the player, usually a winger rushing in doesn't shut the play down.
I have mentioned that in another reply

Eric

Staff
I have mentioned that in another reply
I must admit, sometimes your more in depth analysis goes over my head. In and out sliding? Out and in umbrella?
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I must admit, sometimes your more in depth analysis goes over my head. In and out sliding? Out and in umbrella?
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
So if you watch the defensive line if their first movement is inwards they are compressing the line so as a natural arch your winger would be the instigator of that so he would look like he is a foot in front of his centre and so on in until the A defender who is 1st defender off the play the ball, so we use to call it umbrella or something similar. ☂️ so your play the ball is in the handle, your winger would be standing far right looking at the umbrella, up and in defence not as prevalent as an actual umbrella though. Hope that helps