Round 25: Dragons vs Cronulla Sharks - 25 August @ 4:05PM

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I agree with all the points, but I just question why Sloan cant make tacklers miss when he runs the ball back..... dozens of fullbacks in the NRL and NSW Cup are terrifying to tackle 1on1.. I mean last week we stopped trying to catch Kini early.. and just made sure we all moved up in a line...

Sloan they just line up and belt him... to his credit he atleast tries to run back harder now.. but if he cant make players miss hes not the threat we really want him to be if we are going to carry a slight speedy fullback...
To my old eyes he needs to start using his evasion skills, a last minute step or swerve, I think its a confidence thing.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Played most of his club footy at 6. He's got a good kick on hm too.

Yep, noticed he kicks it sweetly. A bit like timing in cricket. I think he's burdened by all the defensive thinking at fullback, like counting numbers & focusing on kick returns or positioning. While at 5/8th it would free him up a bit from that burden & he'll have defensive help around him. It'll also allow him to play a bit more freely, like natural instinctive footy which imo suits him a bit more.

I dunno, just throwing up ideas because he's got skills but I'm not confident we'll see the best version of Sloan at fullback. I could be dead wrong too.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sloan is an enigma. The fans have high expectations of him. Therefore he is always ridiculed in many forums not just here. We haven't seen enough of his attacking prowess because of our engine room. You have to be moving forward and at speed. Look at Tedesco or Edwards chiming into the backline at the right moment and more importantly offering an inside pass through the middle of the ruck against tired forwards. When is the last time you saw Sloan do both on a consistent basis? It's not the kids fault. I was one that said the kid needs to improve his defence and no doubt he has and his ability to defuse bombs, now everyone will give it to me because he was out jumped by Kennedy but let me say this, your bloody team mates should have warned him, even helped shield him but no shaggy on the rock stuff by the very people you depend upon and he was criticised highly for that. My question to the other players would have been wtf we you doing when that bomb went up? Watching it, saying wow that's high, wow tgat going to be hard to catch? Seriously TEAM has no I and never has. It's a team sport watch that replay and make up your own mind what everyone else was doing. Sloan has scored 11 tries this year 1 try less than Tedesco and he has played only 1 more game as Tedesco, is anyone calling for his head? In defence he avg 6.81 tackles a game and missed 1.29 per game, Tedesco 4.6 per game misses 1. I saw the kid play juniors and he reminded me of a young David Peachy. Let's see how he goes behind a bloody pack going forward before we throw him on the scrap heap.
This ........." Let's see how he goes behind a bloody pack going forward before we throw him on the scrap heap " .......... This is why I'm prepared to give him a bit more time ..........

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Sloan is an enigma. The fans have high expectations of him. Therefore he is always ridiculed in many forums not just here. We haven't seen enough of his attacking prowess because of our engine room. You have to be moving forward and at speed. Look at Tedesco or Edwards chiming into the backline at the right moment and more importantly offering an inside pass through the middle of the ruck against tired forwards. When is the last time you saw Sloan do both on a consistent basis? It's not the kids fault. I was one that said the kid needs to improve his defence and no doubt he has and his ability to defuse bombs, now everyone will give it to me because he was out jumped by Kennedy but let me say this, your bloody team mates should have warned him, even helped shield him but no shaggy on the rock stuff by the very people you depend upon and he was criticised highly for that. My question to the other players would have been wtf we you doing when that bomb went up? Watching it, saying wow that's high, wow tgat going to be hard to catch? Seriously TEAM has no I and never has. It's a team sport watch that replay and make up your own mind what everyone else was doing. Sloan has scored 11 tries this year 1 try less than Tedesco and he has played only 1 more game as Tedesco, is anyone calling for his head? In defence he avg 6.81 tackles a game and missed 1.29 per game, Tedesco 4.6 per game misses 1. I saw the kid play juniors and he reminded me of a young David Peachy. Let's see how he goes behind a bloody pack going forward before we throw him on the scrap heap.
Hope you're right but the Gold Coast fullback didn't need a dominant forward pack to run for about 350m and get a couple of try assists. He might end up running for more metres in half a dozen games than Sloan all season.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Agree but but would keep him on
Agree but only if Dan Lawson puts him thru a tortuous training/gym regime in the off season. Blocka has lost his impact because he is carrying excess baggage, mostly round the gut. He has not lost his passion or determination.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
They are words out of my mouth too jo. There was his collaring of Brailey that saved a certain six pointer at a crucial time, as good a ball and all tackle on the line as you will see. There was his neat chip behind the defense that was called a no try when he accidently touched the back of the player while trying to stop himself running into him. He was still able to fall onto the ball but spilt it. Fair try imho. Sloan is running less but is sniffing round the ball carrier much more too as he wants to get his hands on it to bring off a play. Add to his 11 tries the ten try assists and there were also at least two not counted. With the ball in his hands more he will double those figures.

Last edited:

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Agree but only if Dan Lawson puts him thru a tortuous training/jym regime in the off season. Blocka has lost his impact because he is carrying excess baggage, mostly round the gut. He has not lost his passion or determination.
I don't know. I thought coach might have told to put on a bit more weight and see if that helps him make more post contact metres. It hasn't. I saw a photo on this forum somewhere of Lawrie standing next to Trent Merrin. Trent Merrin wasn't a big prop. Moved to lock for a while. But still made Lawrie look like a chicken legs. Lomax was in the same photo and also looked bigger than Lawrie.

I think he's listed as a bit over 100kg. I wonder if that was while swearing a wringing wet tracksuit with rocks in the pockets.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I don't know. I thought coach might have told to put on a bit more weight and see if that helps him make more post contact metres.
Doubt that the case as before this season he tipped the scales at 106kg. Reckon he is now carrying an extra kilo or two of gut flab. That needed to be turned into muscle last off season. Merrin was 98kg but was bigger below the waist than Lawrie.

Last edited: