Round 25: Dragons vs Cronulla Sharks - 25 August @ 4:05PM

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
They were last week. Among our best forwards and everyone praised them.
The whole pack lacked the go forward of the previous week. We need big unit bookends that tear up the line and can play good mins while our outside backs are slow in pace and reflex. Theirs made us look like cart horses.
Putting on my very old, dusty, coaches hat on. One of my biggest positive pro active action word for every individual player was CONSISTENCY. Until we can achieve this with every individual player in our 17 it really won't matter if they were best on the ground last week, the week before, the week before. Each player has a job to do, a role to play within the mechanism that we refer to as a team.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Starting with Hunt. NOT Jack. Zac has gone, Blocka has reached the end, the rest are recent additions and most of them also need punting.
Keep Jack , Liddle, SuA , Suli ,Sloan the rest can go .......
I'm all for that as long as adequate replacements can be found. Of course keep the Couchmans despite Ryan having a bad day yesterday. But sorry to say, Sloan has to go.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I don't hate him at all. Until yesterday, I was a fan. But enough is enough. He has far more games like yesterday than good games.
Agree but but would keep him on , I just think it will all of a sudden click with him ....... He reminds me so much like Peachy when he was playing ....... Anyway time will tell even if he has to play another season in lower grade .......

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Agree but but would keep him on , I just think it will all of a sudden click with him ....... He reminds me so much like Peachy when he was playing ....... Anyway time will tell even if he has to play another season in lower grade .......
I used to think like you but now I've had enough.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
Future fullback is a problem for the off-season (we should have 2-3 options next year).

For 2024.. we need Sloan to play well for 2 more games (hopefully more).. we did try MatFeagai/Lomax at the back against Penrith @ WIN... but I didnt like how it went.. we have a slow 6 and 7, and with a slow 1, its just too easy to read and defend us.. someone has to skip across and create something.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Future fullback is a problem for the off-season (we should have 2-3 options next year).

For 2024.. we need Sloan to play well for 2 more games (hopefully more).. we did try MatFeagai/Lomax at the back against Penrith @ WIN... but I didnt like how it went.. we have a slow 6 and 7, and with a slow 1, its just too easy to read and defend us.. someone has to skip across and create something.
In my humble opinion there is far too much skipping across the park. First 3 hit ups have to be straight, hard and reach the advantage line, open up one side of the field to run your attacking structures for the next 2 plays, if not successful ensure your in a position to put up an attacking up and under. Just me

DragonsTragic

SGI Jersey Flegg
In my humble opinion there is far too much skipping across the park. First 3 hit ups have to be straight, hard and reach the advantage line, open up one side of the field to run your attacking structures for the next 2 plays, if not successful ensure your in a position to put up an attacking up and under. Just me
Attacking structures...what are those 🤔

Would love to see some.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Attacking structures...what are those 🤔

Would love to see some.
Agree unfortunately when you are not going forward early in your sets you quite simply cannot get to your attacking structures your just hell bent on trying to make it to your 40m line. Hence when we struggle in our engine room you can't get to your set plays as we saw on Sunday

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Sloan is an enigma. The fans have high expectations of him. Therefore he is always ridiculed in many forums not just here. We haven't seen enough of his attacking prowess because of our engine room. You have to be moving forward and at speed. Look at Tedesco or Edwards chiming into the backline at the right moment and more importantly offering an inside pass through the middle of the ruck against tired forwards. When is the last time you saw Sloan do both on a consistent basis? It's not the kids fault. I was one that said the kid needs to improve his defence and no doubt he has and his ability to defuse bombs, now everyone will give it to me because he was out jumped by Kennedy but let me say this, your bloody team mates should have warned him, even helped shield him but no shaggy on the rock stuff by the very people you depend upon and he was criticised highly for that. My question to the other players would have been wtf we you doing when that bomb went up? Watching it, saying wow that's high, wow tgat going to be hard to catch? Seriously TEAM has no I and never has. It's a team sport watch that replay and make up your own mind what everyone else was doing. Sloan has scored 11 tries this year 1 try less than Tedesco and he has played only 1 more game as Tedesco, is anyone calling for his head? In defence he avg 6.81 tackles a game and missed 1.29 per game, Tedesco 4.6 per game misses 1. I saw the kid play juniors and he reminded me of a young David Peachy. Let's see how he goes behind a bloody pack going forward before we throw him on the scrap heap.

Dave03

SGI Jersey Flegg
Sloan is an enigma. The fans have high expectations of him. Therefore he is always ridiculed in many forums not just here. We haven't seen enough of his attacking prowess because of our engine room. You have to be moving forward and at speed. Look at Tedesco or Edwards chiming into the backline at the right moment and more importantly offering an inside pass through the middle of the ruck against tired forwards. When is the last time you saw Sloan do both on a consistent basis? It's not the kids fault. I was one that said the kid needs to improve his defence and no doubt he has and his ability to defuse bombs, now everyone will give it to me because he was out jumped by Kennedy but let me say this, your bloody team mates should have warned him, even helped shield him but no shaggy on the rock stuff by the very people you depend upon and he was criticised highly for that. My question to the other players would have been wtf we you doing when that bomb went up? Watching it, saying wow that's high, wow tgat going to be hard to catch? Seriously TEAM has no I and never has. It's a team sport watch that replay and make up your own mind what everyone else was doing. Sloan has scored 11 tries this year 1 try less than Tedesco and he has played only 1 more game as Tedesco, is anyone calling for his head? In defence he avg 6.81 tackles a game and missed 1.29 per game, Tedesco 4.6 per game misses 1. I saw the kid play juniors and he reminded me of a young David Peachy. Let's see how he goes behind a bloody pack going forward before we throw him on the scrap heap.

William Kennedy was like Sloan but everything improved once he played a few years in 1st grade & put on some size. Sloan had a couple of great runs, yes his errors weren't good but he has improved. Imo Sloan & Jayden Campbell are similar, both natural footy talents but with some issues. I'd love to see Sloan at no.6. I don't think we utilise his ball playing skills enough.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
William Kennedy was like Sloan but everything improved once he played a few years in 1st grade & put on some size. Sloan had a couple of great runs, yes his errors weren't good but he has improved. Imo Sloan & Jayden Campbell are similar, both natural footy talents but with some issues. I'd love to see Sloan at no.6. I don't think we utilise his ball playing skills enough.
Similar build but Campbell is much tougher. Much more willing to put his body on the line.
Not a bad idea for next year if he can learn to tackle much better and put on another 4 or 5 kgs over the off season.

TheRev

SGI Jersey Flegg
I agree with all the points, but I just question why Sloan cant make tacklers miss when he runs the ball back..... dozens of fullbacks in the NRL and NSW Cup are terrifying to tackle 1on1.. I mean last week we stopped trying to catch Kini early.. and just made sure we all moved up in a line...

Sloan they just line up and belt him... to his credit he atleast tries to run back harder now.. but if he cant make players miss hes not the threat we really want him to be if we are going to carry a slight speedy fullback...

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I agree with all the points, but I just question why Sloan cant make tacklers miss when he runs the ball back..... dozens of fullbacks in the NRL and NSW Cup are terrifying to tackle 1on1.. I mean last week we stopped trying to catch Kini early.. and just made sure we all moved up in a line...

Sloan they just line up and belt him... to his credit he atleast tries to run back harder now.. but if he cant make players miss hes not the threat we really want him to be if we are going to carry a slight speedy fullback...
100% agree. Yesterday someone posted his stats. He has 9 try assists this year. Terrible for a fullback who doesn't run a lot of metres. Makes me wonder what he's good for. But we are stuck with him for the rest of this year. I like the idea of giving him a go at 5/8 in the trails and/or NSW Cup. Make him run harder of get hammered. Make him tackle much more. Can use his ball skills much more.

What is everyone thoughts on Rumble? Probably not next year but might be an option in 2026.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Played most of his club footy at 6. He's got a good kick on hm too.