Round 9: St George Illawarra Dragons vs Canterbury Bulldogs

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
How many tries have we conceded this season because of poor reading in defense by two wingers, Rava and Matt Feigai. FFS how much footy have the two played yet they have still not learned to leave your wing unattended only if you are certain you can nail your man. Feigai's missed tackle when he went infield was the catalyst for that long range Averillo try. The one that broke our back.
Has got some wheels Averillo, burned a couple of our boys on more than one occasion.

Eric

Staff
You really have a love for this bloke. The play should be pivotal around him but he is not a play makers arse so it is left to others. Amone is not a natural ball in hand player but he is learning he has to take up the slack.. laid on a neat pass for our last try.
My personal opinion, which is probably way off the mark, is that Hunt has bought into his own hype and rather than control the game, manage the team, he's going for the "big play" far more often than he should.

DragonsTragic

SGI Jersey Flegg

Paul Kent: Tyrell Sloan missed tackle exposes hypocrisy of Dragons coach Anthony Griffin’s critics​

...So Sunday comes and Jake Averillo busts through the Dragons’ line on a straight run to the tryline with only Sloan to stop him. He failed to land even a shoulder on him.

It wasn’t even a particularly devastating step from Averillo. A slight in and away and Sloan barely got a shoulder on him.

If that wasn’t bad enough later the Bulldogs shifted the ball quickly and Averillo was sent down the sideline with Sloan coming across in cover.This time, he failed to even land a hand on him.

Despite having the superior speed of the two, Sloan still had no idea how to position Averillo to get the angle to cut him down.

Averillo simply hit the brakes, Sloan carried on past and Averillo shifted direction infield to score...

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Paul Kent: Tyrell Sloan missed tackle exposes hypocrisy of Dragons coach Anthony Griffin’s critics​

...So Sunday comes and Jake Averillo busts through the Dragons’ line on a straight run to the tryline with only Sloan to stop him. He failed to land even a shoulder on him.

It wasn’t even a particularly devastating step from Averillo. A slight in and away and Sloan barely got a shoulder on him.

If that wasn’t bad enough later the Bulldogs shifted the ball quickly and Averillo was sent down the sideline with Sloan coming across in cover.This time, he failed to even land a hand on him.

Despite having the superior speed of the two, Sloan still had no idea how to position Averillo to get the angle to cut him down.

Averillo simply hit the brakes, Sloan carried on past and Averillo shifted direction infield to score...
Agree I have always said that Sloan reminded me of a young David Peachy in stature, the way he moves across the paddock and has speed to burn. Now that is his attacking ability. Now the development side of his game and his current archilles heel has been his defence. To me he lacks confidence in taking the high ball again as we witnessed on Sunday. One of the most important jobs of today's fullback is having the ability to organise your defensive line from the back field. Sloan cannot do this at the moment. His spacing is wrong, his own spacing from the main defensive line is wrong. If you can bearer to watch the replays the 2 tries the Bulldogs scored from the wing he was far too far back and not following the ball across the paddock, instead of shepherding the ball carrier towards the sideline he rushed in twice and was stepped twice if he makes one of those tackles we win a bit harsh but reality. In the 1st half his positioning was good but he was far too shallow hence a 2nd rower kicking past him and outrunning him to the line. No doubt this played on his mind hence he was far too deep in the 2nd half. His attack is 1st grade standard his defence is not. In saying that he is our no. 1 for years to come and would be better off under a different coaching and skill group. Just the observations of an old broken down coach

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Watching the Dogs-Raiders game. Shocked how we couldn't beat the Dogs and how the coach still hasn't been sacked as a result.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
All good mate we now have believe this or not one of the coaches favourites Jack Bird taking the kicks on Sunday so all should be good

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree I have always said that Sloan reminded me of a young David Peachy in stature, the way he moves across the paddock and has speed to burn. Now that is his attacking ability. Now the development side of his game and his current archilles heel has been his defence. To me he lacks confidence in taking the high ball again as we witnessed on Sunday. One of the most important jobs of today's fullback is having the ability to organise your defensive line from the back field. Sloan cannot do this at the moment. His spacing is wrong, his own spacing from the main defensive line is wrong. If you can bearer to watch the replays the 2 tries the Bulldogs scored from the wing he was far too far back and not following the ball across the paddock, instead of shepherding the ball carrier towards the sideline he rushed in twice and was stepped twice if he makes one of those tackles we win a bit harsh but reality. In the 1st half his positioning was good but he was far too shallow hence a 2nd rower kicking past him and outrunning him to the line. No doubt this played on his mind hence he was far too deep in the 2nd half. His attack is 1st grade standard his defence is not. In saying that he is our no. 1 for years to come and would be better off under a different coaching and skill group. Just the observations of an old broken down coach
I have consistently said his defence is his archilles heel and ours