Salary Cap Woes

Eric

Staff

Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision​

Only 12 months into a rich 3 deal, Nick Cotric looks set to head back to where it all began in 2022 as the Bulldogs and Raiders get serious discussing a suitable financial settlement.

Former NSW centre Nick Cotric is on the verge of leaving Canterbury for a shock return to Canberra.
Cotric, 23, still has 2 years remaining on the 3 season $1.8 million deal at the Bulldogs, but could have played his last game for the club.

Sources say Cotric – who represented the NSW Blues and Australian Kangaroos in 2019 — has also been shopped to Parramatta and Wests Tigers, while the Dolphins and Warriors have also been mentioned as possible destinations.

Cotric is reluctant to join Wests, while Parramatta’s interest has waned.

Canberra is certainly keen on signing the star player, who would return home to play on the wing.

If a financial deal can be struck between Canberra and Canterbury, Cotric would be released immediately and join the Raiders’ off-season training program.

Neither club would talk publicly about the proposed deal on Wednesday but Cotric’s manager, Sam Ayoub, was spotted in Canberra on Tuesday.

Expecting his 3 year deal to be honoured, Cotric bought a home in the Sutherland.

Canberra offered Cotric a healthy contract to remain at the club after 2020 but he accepted a larger deal to join Canterbury.

The Bulldogs’ incredible recruitment drive has left the club struggling with its salary cap.

Offloading Cotric would considerably ease the Bulldogs’ tight cap before the start of next season.

Cotric played his best football under coach Ricky Stuart at Canberra between 2017 and 2020 and was part of the Raiders’ 2019 grand final loss.

The Tigers have shown an interest in Cotric but the player appears hesitant about remaining in Sydney.

He has told friends his priority – should he leave Canterbury — would be a return home to the ACT.

The Raiders and Bulldogs are continuing dialogue over a financial settlement.

Gould has let it be known his club must consider moving some players to remain salary cap compliant.

Canterbury’s English forward Luke Thompson had been shopped to rival clubs earlier this year.

The Bulldogs’ recruit drive for the next two years has netted Viliame Kikau, Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Dufty, Paul Vaughan, Tevita Pangai Jr, Josh Cook, Max King and Braidon Burns.

The Cotric development comes as talks over Josh Hodgson’s proposed and much-discussed move to Wests Tigers have formally ended – the English hooker to remain a Raider for 2022.

Wests had chased Hodgson but the club and Canberra couldn’t find a suitable financial agreement for the transfer to occur.

Of course this guy is superfluous to the needs of St George Illawarra but I think two points can be made from this story:
1. We need to keep an eye on Canterbury and other clubs who are importing a large number of players and paying overs for several. North Queensland are another given news about our old junior, Luciano Leilua being the latest to sigh a big contract with them.
2. Even though things didn't work out well last year, Griffin has the club moving in the right direction in terms of managing the salary cap.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision​

Only 12 months into a rich 3 deal, Nick Cotric looks set to head back to where it all began in 2022 as the Bulldogs and Raiders get serious discussing a suitable financial settlement.

Former NSW centre Nick Cotric is on the verge of leaving Canterbury for a shock return to Canberra.
Cotric, 23, still has 2 years remaining on the 3 season $1.8 million deal at the Bulldogs, but could have played his last game for the club.

Sources say Cotric – who represented the NSW Blues and Australian Kangaroos in 2019 — has also been shopped to Parramatta and Wests Tigers, while the Dolphins and Warriors have also been mentioned as possible destinations.

Canberra is certainly keen on signing the star player, who would return home to play on the wing.

If a financial deal can be struck between Canberra and Canterbury, Cotric would be released immediately and join the Raiders’ off-season training program.

Neither club would talk publicly about the proposed deal on Wednesday but Cotric’s manager, Sam Ayoub, was spotted in Canberra on Tuesday.

Expecting his 3 year deal to be honoured, Cotric bought a home in the Sutherland.

Canberra offered Cotric a healthy contract to remain at the club after 2020 but he accepted a larger deal to join Canterbury.

The Bulldogs’ incredible recruitment drive has left the club struggling with its salary cap.

Offloading Cotric would considerably ease the Bulldogs’ tight cap before the start of next season.

Cotric played his best football under coach Ricky Stuart at Canberra between 2017 and 2020 and was part of the Raiders’ 2019 grand final loss.

The Tigers have shown an interest in Cotric but the player appears hesitant about remaining in Sydney.

He has told friends his priority – should he leave Canterbury — would be a return home to the ACT.

Gould has let it be known his club must consider moving some players to remain salary cap compliant.

Canterbury’s English forward Luke Thompson had been shopped to rival clubs earlier this year.

The Bulldogs’ recruit drive for the next two years has netted Viliame Kikau, Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Dufty, Paul Vaughan, Tevita Pangai Jr, Josh Cook, Max King and Braidon Burns.

The Cotric development comes as talks over Josh Hodgson’s proposed and much-discussed move to Wests Tigers have formally ended – the English hooker to remain a Raider for 2022.

Wests had chased Hodgson but the club and Canberra couldn’t find a suitable financial agreement for the transfer to occur.

Of course this guy is superfluous to the needs of St George Illawarra but I think two points can be made from this story:
1. We need to keep an eye on Canterbury and other clubs who are importing a large number of players and paying overs for several. North Queensland are another given news about out old junior, Luciano Leilua being the latest to sigh a big contract with them.
2. Even though things didn't work out well last year, Griffin has the club moving in the right direction in terms of managing the salary cap.
I don't understand how it wouldn't be Bullgrubs and NQ are in massive salary cap trouble. They are going to have a lot of players on a minimum wage and in the case of NQ, a lot of young players open for poaching. Not so much for the Bullgrubs because as far as I know, they have any young players worth poaching. Getting Luke Thomson with Grubs paying a significant % of his salary would be a huge coup for us.

Eric

Staff
I don't understand how it wouldn't be Bullgrubs and NQ are in massive salary cap trouble. They are going to have a lot of players on a minimum wage and in the case of NQ, a lot of young players open for poaching. Not so much for the Bullgrubs because as far as I know, they have any young players worth poaching. Getting Luke Thomson with Grubs paying a significant % of his salary would be a huge coup for us.

Canterbury salary cap revealed: Why players will need to go​

Bulldogs' quest to find the missing piece of their roster will leave them with no choice but to take a machete to their squad.

Canterbury’s pursuit of Parramatta hooker Reed Mahoney threatens to put immense pressure on its salary cap as the club prepares to offer some of its biggest names the chance to leave in an attempt to loosen the financial shackles.
The Daily Telegraph has conducted a deep dive into the Bulldogs’ cap for the 2023 season, when they will welcome Viliame Kikau into the fold after the Penrith forward agreed to a lucrative four-year deal last week.

That deal is believed to be worth more than $800k a season given Kikau had rival offers on the table for that amount. His signing, which is yet to be announced by Canterbury, means the Bulldogs have 22 players contracted for 2023, leaving them with 8 roster spots to fill and hardly $1 million of cap space likely to be available.

In stark contrast, powerhouses Penrith and Parramatta have only 12 players contracted for 2023.

Reporters consulted recruitment managers and player agents before arriving at salary estimates for the 22 Canterbury players who are locked in for 2023, when the cap is expected to return to pre-Covid numbers.

There is a chance the Bulldogs will be given more space should the players’ union negotiate a cap rise, although it appears more likely the starting point will be $10 million – the figure it was meant to be in 2022 before the players agreed to a pay cut.

Mahoney is expected to command at least $600k a season to turn his back on the Eels and his signing would leave the Bulldogs with $500k to spend on their remaining seven spots, a logistical impossibility given the minimum wage starts at $80k and rises to $120k.

Even if they miss out on Mahoney, the Bulldogs’ quest to find a quality rake will likely leave them with no choice but to take a machete to their roster as they try to make room for quality acquisitions to their spine.

Amid the talk of cap carnage at the Bulldogs, chair John Khoury insisted the club was committed to developing their own and pointed to the local juniors who are signed to the top 30 in 2023 – boom centre Paul Alamoti, half Jake Averillo, winger Jayden Okunbor and backrower Chris Patolo.

He also endorsed Phil Gould as the man to pull the right reins when it comes to reshaping the squad – few people in rugby league are as connected as the club’s general manager of football.

Gould also has a reputation for shifting players in his pursuit of a roster capable of winning a competition.

“It is not all about just signing or selling players,” Khoury said.

“It’s about balancing the squad. We brought in Gus Gould, whose runs are on the board with what he has done at other clubs, most recently the Panthers and the Warriors. It’s also about developing players. In that spirit we brought back reserve grade a year early – that shows we are committed to being a development club again.

“The proof is in the pudding with some of these young guys who have come through our juniors and our pathways.”

BULLDOGS CONTRACT LIST FOR 2023​

Viliame Kikau - $850k
Luke Thompson - $800k
Tevita Pangai Junior - $720k
Josh Jackson - $670k
Nick Cotric - $650k
Kyle Flanagan - $600k
Josh Addo-Carr - $550k
Matt Burton - $500k
Corey Allan - $500k
Jack Hetherington - $450k
Corey Waddell - $350k
Jake Averillo - $300k
Jeremy Marshall-King - $300k
Braidon Burns - $250k
Brent Naden - $250k
Paul Alamoti - $250k
Jayden Okunbor - $220k
Aaron Schoupp - $150k
Bailey Biondi-Odo - $150k
Ava Seumanufagai - $120k
Josh Cook - $120k
Chris Patolo - $100k

TOTAL - $8.85 million for 22 players
* NRL squads must have 30 players
* Estimated NRL salary cap in 2023 is $10 million
That leaves $1.15 million for eight players (minimum NRL wage is $120,000 for top 26 players, $80,000 for bottom four players)

ON THE OUTER:
Luke Thompson, Corey Allan, Nick Cotric, Kyle Flanagan

* Estimated salaries

A handful of high-profile players have already been mooted as potential casualties of the cap cull at the Bulldogs. Parramatta were asked about Nick Cotric last week while he has also been offered to his former club Canberra.

Queensland back Corey Allan, half Kyle Flanagan and forward Luke Thompson have also been mentioned as players who could leave as the Bulldogs rebuild their side.

Unless players depart, it is hard to see how the Bulldogs can extend their deals with prop Paul Vaughan and fullback Matt Dufty. Vaughan and Dufty were signed on cut-price, one-year contracts and would likely command healthy upgrades should they play well in 2022.

St George is already stacked for outside backs and halves but as you mentioned, Thompson would be great for around 500~600k with Canterbury picking up the rest for the next 2 seasons.

Eric

Staff
Article by Paul Kent talking about Gould vs Bennett

Some years back I wrote a column about the two most powerful men in rugby league, the types who wielded power with something to border on admiration.
One was a solid-set fellow, with a face kind of like a mudslide, whose contacts in the game counted the likes of James Packer and Nick Politis and beginning there and going down he exhibited the kind of the power that could end or promote careers.

The other power figure was more slightly built, broad but angular like a spinnaker turned upside down, and his power was the equal of Gould, but also the opposite.

Wayne Bennett was running the Broncos at the time and his circle of power included the Murdoch family, specifically Lachlan, and News Corp chairman John Hartigan, as well as the likes of Jack Gibson and Ron Massey and their thick contact books.

Bennett had no special relationship with a player agent, preferring to have them all jostling for position, but he had the ear of the Queensland Rugby League and League headquarters and a fawning media, and he used them all regularly.

It goes on like this for a while but to cut to the chase, Kent thinks Gould has gotten the better of the current situation by making several big signings while Bennett has one has-been nearing the end of his career. Not particularly interesting for St George fans but I think Kent has it wrong. I think Gould will a bounce out of the Bulldogs but in 5 years, they are going to be anchored to the bottom of the table again in more salary cap trouble.

Who knows what will happen with the Dolphins but they aren't going to be a serious premiership force for some years yet.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Article by Paul Kent talking about Gould vs Bennett

Some years back I wrote a column about the two most powerful men in rugby league, the types who wielded power with something to border on admiration.
One was a solid-set fellow, with a face kind of like a mudslide, whose contacts in the game counted the likes of James Packer and Nick Politis and beginning there and going down he exhibited the kind of the power that could end or promote careers.

The other power figure was more slightly built, broad but angular like a spinnaker turned upside down, and his power was the equal of Gould, but also the opposite.

Wayne Bennett was running the Broncos at the time and his circle of power included the Murdoch family, specifically Lachlan, and News Corp chairman John Hartigan, as well as the likes of Jack Gibson and Ron Massey and their thick contact books.

Bennett had no special relationship with a player agent, preferring to have them all jostling for position, but he had the ear of the Queensland Rugby League and League headquarters and a fawning media, and he used them all regularly.

It goes on like this for a while but to cut to the chase, Kent thinks Gould has gotten the better of the current situation by making several big signings while Bennett has one has-been nearing the end of his career. Not particularly interesting for St George fans but I think Kent has it wrong. I think Gould will a bounce out of the Bulldogs but in 5 years, they are going to be anchored to the bottom of the table again in more salary cap trouble.

Who knows what will happen with the Dolphins but they aren't going to be a serious premiership force for some years yet.
I wouldn't have a problem with us picking at the Grubs carcass. Apart from Thompson, they must have someone we can use.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I wouldn't have a problem with us picking at the Grubs carcass. Apart from Thompson, they must have someone we can use.
All this drama with Melbourne morons, Wests Tigers and Grubs have to pay massive overs, Dolphins can't attract any players, Roosters as usual can sign the Dally M hooker of the year, not let go of any big name players and still be salary cap compliant, it's nice we are out of the news. Apart from the signing of Sullivan, we don't even rate a mention.

I saw an article on Zero Tackle. I don't have to tell you about it, here it is. Amone will be starting 5/8 but I agree Sullivan has a big future in the Red V.

Eric

Staff
All this drama with Melbourne morons, Wests Tigers and Grubs have to pay massive overs, Dolphins can't attract any players, Roosters as usual can sign the Dally M hooker of the year, not let go of any big name players and still be salary cap compliant, it's nice we are out of the news. Apart from the signing of Sullivan, we don't even rate a mention.

I saw an article on Zero Tackle. I don't have to tell you about it, here it is. Amone will be starting 5/8 but I agree Sullivan has a big future in the Red V.
Rorters are welcome to him. Good player no doubt but a good hooker for how long as he inevitable gets bigger and slower? Agree about Sullivan and Amone. Hunt or Macca will inevitably be injured at some stage so we can get a chance to see Sullivan and Amone together nest season.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

After the nightmare of the last 3 years, no news is definitely good news.

Eric

Staff
More talk about Thompson being shopped in the DT today. Dogs are asking too much money at present but maybe they will come down. For 600k I reckon it would be a good buy with the Dogs putting in 200k for the next 2 seasons.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
More talk about Thompson being shopped in the DT today. Dogs are asking too much money at present but maybe they will come down. For 600k I reckon it would be a good buy with the Dogs putting in 200k for the next 2 seasons.
Worth 600k in ability but spends a lot of time suspended.

Eric

Staff
Worth 600k in ability but spends a lot of time suspended.
They went a little overboard with the suspensions last year. Under normal circumstances I think he would only be missing on average a couple of games a year due to suspension.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
He'd be a steal for 600k.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

1. We need to keep an eye on Canterbury and other clubs who are importing a large number of players and paying overs for several. North Queensland are another given news about our old junior, Luciano Leilua being the latest to sigh a big contract with them.
With all the highly paid players leaving and all the new signings being bargains or having other clubs subsidizing their contracts, who are St George aiming to sign? Is Hook preparing to throw big money at a few young guys not yet proven? Apart from these two (Thompson, Cotric), I can't even think of any established big names available for 2023. Assuming Ponga either stays with Newcastle or goes to the Dolphins (that the worst fuking name by a very wide margin! Are they ashamed of Redcliff? I've been there once. Seemed like a pretty nice place. I don't know what they are ashamed of).

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I think
With all the highly paid players leaving and all the new signings being bargains or having other clubs subsidizing their contracts, who are St George aiming to sign? Is Hook preparing to throw big money at a few young guys not yet proven? Apart from these two (Thompson, Cotric), I can't even think of any established big names available for 2023. Assuming Ponga either stays with Newcastle or goes to the Dolphins (that the worst fuking name by a very wide margin! Are they ashamed of Redcliff? I've been there once. Seemed like a pretty nice place. I don't know what they are ashamed of).
I think it's got to do with sponsors. Redcliff is a little too limited in a similar way to 'Cronulla'. But they could call themselves North Brisbane or something like that.

Eric

Staff
I think

I think it's got to do with sponsors. Redcliff is a little too limited in a similar way to 'Cronulla'. But they could call themselves North Brisbane or something like that.
They will hardly be competing with us for corporate money, juniors or supporters so I hope they are much more successful than Cronulla.
I also have no idea. I guess it'll depend on how Amone, Sloan, Feagai's and maybe Sullivan go when they are regular NRL players next season. If they bomb out, I think you'll find there are a few players available.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Cashed-up North Queensland will formally ask Wests Tigers this week to consider approving an early release for forward Luciano Leilua.

Leilua has signed a three-year deal with North Queensland – worth a cool $2.1 million – from 2023, but North Queensland has room in its salary to accommodate the Wests star from next year.

We can also reveal the two North Queensland players the Tigers have requested in a possible player swap for Leilua for 2022 – rising back-rowers Jeremiah Nanai and Heilum Luki.

However, North Queensland rejected the proposal and have started contract talks to extend Nanai, 18, and Luki, 20, who are entering the final year of their current deals and can both sign with rival clubs for the 2023 season.

The Tigers have shown considerable interest in Nanai, who is rated among the finest young back-rowers in rugby league.

Leilua hasn’t agitated for an early release but the situation is delicate.

While the Tigers want to retain Leilua for the final year of his deal, the player’s contract will increase from $550,000 this season to between $600,000 and $650,000 in 2022.

Wests officials need to discuss whether the club can obtain value for that price. Player managers call it ROI – return on investment.

Canterbury's Nick Cotric adds another layer of uncertainty to the equation.

Should Cotric be squeezed out of Canterbury due to their precarious salary cap position and end up at Concord, Wests may need to shed a player — which could be Leilua.

Wests, at this stage, are suggesting Leilua won’t be granted an early release.

And, by allowing him to walk early, the Tigers could suddenly be left short of an edge back-rower.

Parramatta’s Isaiah Papali’i has signed for 2023 but the Eels, at this stage, won’t entertain a premature release given the 2021 Dally M back-rower of the year provides tremendous value on a modest contract.

The easygoing Leilua would be happy to stay in 2022 but equally content to leave if the right offer was lodged.

Leilua is a popular member of the Tigers squad and was a passionate supporter of Michael Maguire when the coach was under pressure to retain his job after last season.

Tigers management also continue holding talks to re-sign prop Stefano Utoikamanu, who joined an extended NSW State of Origin squad this year.

Cotric is also a genuine target for the Canberra Raiders but rumours persist he wants to remain in Sydney.

Canberra management may consider allowing Bailey Simonsson to leave for Parramatta next season if the Raiders can sign Cotric.

Wests last week signed Penrith’s Api Koroisau for 2023 and 2024 with a mutual option for 2025.

I know this really has nothing to do with St George but I know we could be on the lookout for backrowers. Sims probably leaving and certainly nearing the end of his career while Burns hasn't shown any great promise. If North Queensland are "cashed up" with Holmes and Taomololo on huge contracts and a number of other players hardly on "unders" like McLean, Hess, paying overs for Townsend and Dearden. If they are cashed up, we must be Bezos! I presume Hook knows what he is doing but from the outside looking in, we should be bidding for Nanai and Luki if they are half as good as good as the media is reporting.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Cashed-up North Queensland will formally ask Wests Tigers this week to consider approving an early release for forward Luciano Leilua.

Leilua has signed a three-year deal with North Queensland – worth a cool $2.1 million – from 2023, but North Queensland has room in its salary to accommodate the Wests star from next year.

We can also reveal the two North Queensland players the Tigers have requested in a possible player swap for Leilua for 2022 – rising back-rowers Jeremiah Nanai and Heilum Luki.

However, North Queensland rejected the proposal and have started contract talks to extend Nanai, 18, and Luki, 20, who are entering the final year of their current deals and can both sign with rival clubs for the 2023 season.

The Tigers have shown considerable interest in Nanai, who is rated among the finest young back-rowers in rugby league.

Leilua hasn’t agitated for an early release but the situation is delicate.

While the Tigers want to retain Leilua for the final year of his deal, the player’s contract will increase from $550,000 this season to between $600,000 and $650,000 in 2022.

Wests officials need to discuss whether the club can obtain value for that price. Player managers call it ROI – return on investment.

Canterbury's Nick Cotric adds another layer of uncertainty to the equation.

Should Cotric be squeezed out of Canterbury due to their precarious salary cap position and end up at Concord, Wests may need to shed a player — which could be Leilua.

Wests, at this stage, are suggesting Leilua won’t be granted an early release.

And, by allowing him to walk early, the Tigers could suddenly be left short of an edge back-rower.

Parramatta’s Isaiah Papali’i has signed for 2023 but the Eels, at this stage, won’t entertain a premature release given the 2021 Dally M back-rower of the year provides tremendous value on a modest contract.

The easygoing Leilua would be happy to stay in 2022 but equally content to leave if the right offer was lodged.

Leilua is a popular member of the Tigers squad and was a passionate supporter of Michael Maguire when the coach was under pressure to retain his job after last season.

Tigers management also continue holding talks to re-sign prop Stefano Utoikamanu, who joined an extended NSW State of Origin squad this year.

Cotric is also a genuine target for the Canberra Raiders but rumours persist he wants to remain in Sydney.

Canberra management may consider allowing Bailey Simonsson to leave for Parramatta next season if the Raiders can sign Cotric.

Wests last week signed Penrith’s Api Koroisau for 2023 and 2024 with a mutual option for 2025.

I know this really has nothing to do with St George but I know we could be on the lookout for backrowers. Sims probably leaving and certainly nearing the end of his career while Burns hasn't shown any great promise. If North Queensland are "cashed up" with Holmes and Taomololo on huge contracts and a number of other players hardly on "unders" like McLean, Hess, paying overs for Townsend and Dearden. If they are cashed up, we must be Bezos! I presume Hook knows what he is doing but from the outside looking in, we should be bidding for Nanai and Luki if they are half as good as good as the media is reporting.
The last sentence is probably the truth. They are nowhere near as good as some media is saying.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Now it's official, I wonder how much of his salary the grubs are paying for the next 2 years. If we didn't have an abundance of outside backs, he would have made a great addition to the Dragons. Much better than Suli for example.