Salary Cap Woes

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Now it's official, I wonder how much of his salary the grubs are paying for the next 2 years. If we didn't have an abundance of outside backs, he would have made a great addition to the Dragons. Much better than Suli for example.
Dogs might improve next year but I can only agree with Eric Eric in that long term, I think they are going to have more salary cap problems. That's good news but I think Canberra might be a serious force again next year.

Eric

Staff
The last sentence is probably the truth. They are nowhere near as good as some media is saying.
Probably true but there must be some serious young players out there who we could easily offer more money for than other clubs. North Queensland seem the obvious choice. I don't know of any good but yet to be established young players at Canterbury. I think that club is a mess. I hope they are.

Eric

Staff
Dogs might improve next year but I can only agree with Eric Eric in that long term, I think they are going to have more salary cap problems. That's good news but I think Canberra might be a serious force again next year.
yeah, have to wait and see about Canberra. I don't think anyone expected them to slide as badly as they did last season. Not sure anyone will be especially surprised if they bounce back next season. Seems like St George, they have some pretty good young players coming through. Doesn't seem like they have many, if any players on overs. I'd guess definitely moving in the right direction. I just St George are moving in the same direction faster.

Let me say it now, next season top 8 not in order: St George Illawarra Dragons, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Rorters, Penriff, Souffs, Canberra, Parramatta. How's that?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
yeah, have to wait and see about Canberra. I don't think anyone expected them to slide as badly as they did last season. Not sure anyone will be especially surprised if they bounce back next season. Seems like St George, they have some pretty good young players coming through. Doesn't seem like they have many, if any players on overs. I'd guess definitely moving in the right direction. I just St George are moving in the same direction faster.

Let me say it now, next season top 8 not in order: St George Illawarra Dragons, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Rorters, Penriff, Souffs, Canberra, Parramatta. How's that?
I hate to use cliches but the spine could be the doing or undoing of Gold Coast and Canberra. Hodgson was a great player but obviously they don't feel he is up to it any longer and Wighton's ball skills are poor for a 5/8. Without a really good ball playing halfback, he is average at best IMO.

If Amone is half as good as we think and Sloan half as good as we hope, our spine should be pretty good. Importantly we have more than adequate cover in the event of an injury.

Souths have been up for a while now. I wonder if Cook and Walker are starting to run on tired legs and how good the new halfback will be.

Apart from Tedesco, I'm not sold on Roosters halves. Both Walker and Keary defending in the line should make for a very nice target. Obviously they aren't confident in their own hooker. Tedesco is also getting on and leg speed is obviously very important for his game. Apart from that, they obviously have a pretty strong squad.

Not sold on Parramatta. Moses is (sorry for another cliche) a flat track bully, Brown is average and Gutherson massively overrated.

Melbourne and Penrith will still be hard to beat next season. Manly will be up there if Trbojevic stays healthy though with so much money in 3 players, must be some serious issues with their depth.

One club usually surprises everyone. Last season it was Manly. Hopefully next season it will be St George.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Club takes salary cap rort to new level​

Regular readers of this column will know it's the NRL's worst kept secret that most clubs cheat the salary cap - but one club has taken it to a new level.

The club has employed the father of its marquee player to work with its women's team - despite the fact he has absolutely NO qualifications in football.

I'd love to know how much he is getting for his troubles - and whether the NRL - who really don't want to catch clubs rorting the cap - will bother looking into the matter.

Is it Sydney Rorters?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision​

Only 12 months into a rich 3 deal, Nick Cotric looks set to head back to where it all began in 2022 as the Bulldogs and Raiders get serious discussing a suitable financial settlement.

Former NSW centre Nick Cotric is on the verge of leaving Canterbury for a shock return to Canberra.
Cotric, 23, still has 2 years remaining on the 3 season $1.8 million deal at the Bulldogs, but could have played his last game for the club.

Sources say Cotric – who represented the NSW Blues and Australian Kangaroos in 2019 — has also been shopped to Parramatta and Wests Tigers, while the Dolphins and Warriors have also been mentioned as possible destinations.

Cotric is reluctant to join Wests, while Parramatta’s interest has waned.

Canberra is certainly keen on signing the star player, who would return home to play on the wing.

If a financial deal can be struck between Canberra and Canterbury, Cotric would be released immediately and join the Raiders’ off-season training program.

Neither club would talk publicly about the proposed deal on Wednesday but Cotric’s manager, Sam Ayoub, was spotted in Canberra on Tuesday.

Expecting his 3 year deal to be honoured, Cotric bought a home in the Sutherland.

Canberra offered Cotric a healthy contract to remain at the club after 2020 but he accepted a larger deal to join Canterbury.

The Bulldogs’ incredible recruitment drive has left the club struggling with its salary cap.

Offloading Cotric would considerably ease the Bulldogs’ tight cap before the start of next season.

Cotric played his best football under coach Ricky Stuart at Canberra between 2017 and 2020 and was part of the Raiders’ 2019 grand final loss.

The Tigers have shown an interest in Cotric but the player appears hesitant about remaining in Sydney.

He has told friends his priority – should he leave Canterbury — would be a return home to the ACT.

The Raiders and Bulldogs are continuing dialogue over a financial settlement.

Gould has let it be known his club must consider moving some players to remain salary cap compliant.

Canterbury’s English forward Luke Thompson had been shopped to rival clubs earlier this year.

The Bulldogs’ recruit drive for the next two years has netted Viliame Kikau, Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Dufty, Paul Vaughan, Tevita Pangai Jr, Josh Cook, Max King and Braidon Burns.

The Cotric development comes as talks over Josh Hodgson’s proposed and much-discussed move to Wests Tigers have formally ended – the English hooker to remain a Raider for 2022.

Wests had chased Hodgson but the club and Canberra couldn’t find a suitable financial agreement for the transfer to occur.

Of course this guy is superfluous to the needs of St George Illawarra but I think two points can be made from this story:
1. We need to keep an eye on Canterbury and other clubs who are importing a large number of players and paying overs for several. North Queensland are another given news about our old junior, Luciano Leilua being the latest to sigh a big contract with them.
2. Even though things didn't work out well last year, Griffin has the club moving in the right direction in terms of managing the salary cap.
We have enough rejects from other clubs. I'm not sure if any of their previous clubs wanted to keep our recruits. Certainly not for more than 1 more year.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
CANTERBURY DOGS STUCK WITH EXPENSIVE RESERVE-GRADER

Canterbury are set to pay Kyle Flanagan almost $500,000 to play reserve grade as the club has failed to offload the unwanted halfback.

The Bulldogs have been unable to find a club willing to take Flanagan off its hands and will have to keep him at the club on a reported salary of $450,000.

While Flanagan is at long odds to start the season in the NRL, the uncertainty surrounding Jake Averillo and Matt Burton as a halves combination should give the former Shark and Rooster a glimmer of hope. Flanagan’s kicking game could eventually get him back into the top grade.

Good stuff this. McGregor and Price were certainly bad and some or most of our imports didn't earn their pay-packets but I don't think St George Illawarra Dragons have had any players on big money playing in the NSW Cup.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Canterbury are set to pay Kyle Flanagan almost $500,000 to play reserve grade as the club has failed to offload the unwanted halfback.

The Bulldogs have been unable to find a club willing to take Flanagan off its hands and will have to keep him at the club on a reported salary of $450,000.

While Flanagan is at long odds to start the season in the NRL, the uncertainty surrounding Jake Averillo and Matt Burton as a halves combination should give the former Shark and Rooster a glimmer of hope. Flanagan’s kicking game could eventually get him back into the top grade.

Good stuff this. McGregor and Price were certainly bad and some or most of our imports didn't earn their pay-packets but I don't think St George Illawarra Dragons have had any players on big money playing in the NSW Cup.
He had Hunt playing hooker and Mcinnes lock. Team may have been better off if he had dropped either of them rather than have both play out of position.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
He had Hunt playing hooker and Mcinnes lock. Team may have been better off if he had dropped either of them rather than have both play out of position.
That's a good point. Would have been better dropping one of them but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

More on that story:
The Bulldogs have reportedly failed in their bid to offload Kyle Flanagan and will be forced to pay the 23-year-old almost $500,000 to play reserve grade this year.

Flanagan joined the Bulldogs last season on a three-year deal said to be worth $450,000-per-season after he was released early from his Roosters contract.
There’s been rumours circulating suggesting the Bulldogs also hoped to offload him early after a disappointing first season at the club, however News Corp reports their attempts have failed.

He has previously been linked to a return to the Sharks, where he made his NRL debut, and two Super League clubs were said to show some initial interest. There was a belief that Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett could get the best out of Flanagan after being credited for the Panthers’ attack in 2020, but the young halfback failed to meet expectations.

Flanagan was dropped after Round 9 last season. He returned to the side in the Bulldogs’ Round 16 66-nil loss and then was dropped again the following week. He was then recalled for Round 20 only to be axed for a third time a week later. Flanagan finished the season with six try-assists and eight linebreak assists — second and first in the side respectively overall despite only playing 13 games.

New recruit Matt Burton will take up one spot in the halves, while it’s expected last year’s recipient of the Coach’s Award, Jake Averillo, will get first shot at partnering him. That means Flanagan will likely start the season in New South Wales Cup. An early release could have benefited the Bulldogs financially given the club is feeling the salary cap squeeze. Canterbury-Bankstown have already offloaded star winger Nick Cotric ahead of the 2022 season.

I just love this stuff. It's also a good indication that Sydney Rorters don't let good players leave without a fight. They couldn't get Flanagan out the door fast enough. The only problem is, we need forwards and I really can't see any other than Thompson we could use but they apparently aren't letting Thompson go. At least not without the other club picking up all of his salary which rules him out because even though he's a good player, from the reports I read, he's on massive overs.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That's a good point. Would have been better dropping one of them but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

More on that story:
The Bulldogs have reportedly failed in their bid to offload Kyle Flanagan and will be forced to pay the 23-year-old almost $500,000 to play reserve grade this year.

Flanagan joined the Bulldogs last season on a three-year deal said to be worth $450,000-per-season after he was released early from his Roosters contract.
There’s been rumours circulating suggesting the Bulldogs also hoped to offload him early after a disappointing first season at the club, however News Corp reports their attempts have failed.

He has previously been linked to a return to the Sharks, where he made his NRL debut, and two Super League clubs were said to show some initial interest. There was a belief that Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett could get the best out of Flanagan after being credited for the Panthers’ attack in 2020, but the young halfback failed to meet expectations.

Flanagan was dropped after Round 9 last season. He returned to the side in the Bulldogs’ Round 16 66-nil loss and then was dropped again the following week. He was then recalled for Round 20 only to be axed for a third time a week later. Flanagan finished the season with six try-assists and eight linebreak assists — second and first in the side respectively overall despite only playing 13 games.

New recruit Matt Burton will take up one spot in the halves, while it’s expected last year’s recipient of the Coach’s Award, Jake Averillo, will get first shot at partnering him. That means Flanagan will likely start the season in New South Wales Cup. An early release could have benefited the Bulldogs financially given the club is feeling the salary cap squeeze. Canterbury-Bankstown have already offloaded star winger Nick Cotric ahead of the 2022 season.

I just love this stuff. It's also a good indication that Sydney Rorters don't let good players leave without a fight. They couldn't get Flanagan out the door fast enough. The only problem is, we need forwards and I really can't see any other than Thompson we could use but they apparently aren't letting Thompson go. At least not without the other club picking up all of his salary which rules him out because even though he's a good player, from the reports I read, he's on massive overs.
In hindsight it may or may not have been the right thing. May have lost every game by 50. All we know is playing them both out of position didn't work.

Thompson would be a good pick up for the Dragons if he could stop getting suspended. We already have Rava on the books.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
In hindsight it may or may not have been the right thing. May have lost every game by 50. All we know is playing them both out of position didn't work.

Thompson would be a good pick up for the Dragons if he could stop getting suspended. We already have Rava on the books.
I think both have been unfairly harshly targeted by the MRC. I think you will see both get cut a little slack this season.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
H

More on that story:

Has our squad been filled or still one or two free spots?

Eric

Staff
Has our squad been filled or still one or two free spots?
Good question:

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

The top 30 roster boasts ample depth in the forwards with guys like Daniel Alvaro, Billy Burns and Aaron Woods. It’s further bolstered by NSW Cup players Micheal Molo, Josh Coric and Jackson Shereb. Recruit Moses Mbye is a versatile option that can play off the bench, at hooker and in the backline. Another option at hooker is youngster Connor Muhleisen, who has trained with the NRL side over the summer and will feature in NSW Cup next season. On paper, Anthony Griffin’s backline stocks look thin especially in the halves if Talatau Amone partners Ben Hunt and Mbye plays off the bench.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS TOP 30 ROSTER

FORWARDS

Second row: Tariq Sims, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jaydn Su‘A, Jackson Ford, Billy Burns, Jack Gosiewski

Prop: George Burgess, Josh McGuire, Blake Lawrie, Josh Kerr, Poasa Faamausili, Aaron Woods, Daniel Alvaro, Francis Molo, Jaiyden Hunt

Hooker: Andrew McCullough

Lock: Jack de Belin (and prop)

BACKS

Fullback: Moses Mbye

Wing: Mikaele Ravalawa, Cody Ramsey (and fullback)

Centre: Zac Lomax, Jack Bird (and lock), Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Moses Suli, Tautau Moga

Five-eighth: Talatau Amone, Jayden Sullivan

Halfback: Ben Hunt

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS: Tyrell Sloan (fullback), Shalom O‘Ofou (second row)

FEEDER CLUB: St George Illawarra Dragons

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I haven't heard much about North Queenslands salary cap problems but they cannot but have such problems. Paid more for Deardon and Townsend than their respective former clubs would pay. Singed Holmes and a marquee fullback while playing him as an average centre. Taumalolo's contract size and length is well known. Jordan McClean and Coen Hess are reported to be on overs. Then they are trying to keep some very promising young players.

It's McClean and Hess I'm interested in for St George if NQ are picking up a significant % of their salaries.

EARLY EXIT FOR TAUPAU?
Why wait? Despite being linked with a move for Martin Taupau for the 2023 season, it has been reported the North Queensland Cowboys could fast track the move. That’s according to the Wide World of Sports, which claims North Queensland is ‘desperate’ for more help up front, with Taupau a potential option. With Taupau and the Sea Eagles certain to split when his contract runs out at the end of 2022, and Manly reportedly could be open to allowing him an early exit.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I haven't heard much about North Queenslands salary cap problems but they cannot but have such problems. Paid more for Deardon and Townsend than their respective former clubs would pay. Singed Holmes and a marquee fullback while playing him as an average centre. Taumalolo's contract size and length is well known. Jordan McClean and Coen Hess are reported to be on overs. Then they are trying to keep some very promising young players.

It's McClean and Hess I'm interested in for St George if NQ are picking up a significant % of their salaries.

EARLY EXIT FOR TAUPAU?
Why wait? Despite being linked with a move for Martin Taupau for the 2023 season, it has been reported the North Queensland Cowboys could fast track the move. That’s according to the Wide World of Sports, which claims North Queensland is ‘desperate’ for more help up front, with Taupau a potential option. With Taupau and the Sea Eagles certain to split when his contract runs out at the end of 2022, and Manly reportedly could be open to allowing him an early exit.
In theory McClean or Hess would be good signings but both are living on past glories at this point. Could Hook get the best out of them or is their best a thing of the past? McClean in particular has been around a while. He was breaking necks how many years ago now and he wasn't "a rookie" back then. Woods and Burgess might both be better value.

And I know Hess cut his teeth as an edge backrower but is now an (average) middle forward. Then again, in theory Hess could improve as a middle forward and Woods and Burgess likely won't be re-signed beyond their current contracts. Blake Lawrie's contract is ending the same time as Woods and Burgess as well.

Eric

Staff

Kalyn Ponga meets with Wayne Bennett​

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett has stepped up his pursuit of Knights superstar Kalyn Ponga​

Kalyn Ponga has met with super coach Wayne Bennett following Friday night’s loss to the Sharks. The Knights skipper has become the No.1 target for the Dolphins following the decisions by Jahrome Hughes and Harry Grant to remain at Melbourne Storm. The details of Ponga’s meeting with Bennett on Saturday are being kept hush-hush.

We were met with a terse “no comment” from a Dolphins official when asking for more details of their meeting. Ponga’s father Andre, who acts as his manager, did not return phone calls. Ponga’s situation in Newcastle is getting more difficult each week. With the contract speculation obviously a distraction, the Knights skipper had a poor game against the Sharks on Friday night. In fairness, he is playing with heavy strapping on a knee injury that affects his lateral movement.

The Knights are understood to have offered Ponga more than $1.2 million a year to remain in Newcastle.

I hope they sign him for the reported 1.5 mil a year so they have less money to offer Amone. Though after the three games so far, I think Amone's asking price has pretty significantly dropped. Newcastle have only just signed Clifford on a long-term deal so Amone won't do them much good. There is also the problem of what to do with Sullivan. He won't want to wait another year for Hunt's contract to finish. Be nice if Redcliff (or "The Dolphins"....) paid a significant part of Hunt's last year.

Eric

Staff
I was just reading in the Telegraph about Canterbury's salary cap woes.
  • Thompson is on 850k a year and they are not getting value for money.
  • Corey Allen in on 500k playing in the NSW Cup and not particularly well.
  • Josh Jackson is on 750k and even though he's the club captain and club stalwart, he's not worth that much. He's 31. Won't be getting any better.
  • They have to upgrade Burton if they want to keep him.
  • JAC is, or at Melbourne was, the best winger in the game but Dogs aren't even getting close to value for money from him.
  • They are still paying a significant part of Cotric's salary.
  • Rookie centre Jacob Kiraz had a blinder in his NRL debut and is on a minimum wage. They are going to have upgrade or lose him.
The obvious question is, what does this have to do with St George Illawarra. Well, as has been mentioned previously, Luke Thompson would be a massive asset for the Dragons. Certainly not on 850k a year but if the Grubs were to pick up a significant part of his salary for next year and tehn he was on around 700k, I think he'd be worth that.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I was just reading in the Telegraph about Canterbury's salary cap woes.
  • Thompson is on 850k a year and they are not getting value for money.
  • Corey Allen in on 500k playing in the NSW Cup and not particularly well.
  • Josh Jackson is on 750k and even though he's the club captain and club stalwart, he's not worth that much. He's 31. Won't be getting any better.
  • They have to upgrade Burton if they want to keep him.
  • JAC is, or at Melbourne was, the best winger in the game but Dogs aren't even getting close to value for money from him.
  • They are still paying a significant part of Cotric's salary.
  • Rookie centre Jacob Kiraz had a blinder in his NRL debut and is on a minimum wage. They are going to have upgrade or lose him.
The obvious question is, what does this have to do with St George Illawarra. Well, as has been mentioned previously, Luke Thompson would be a massive asset for the Dragons. Certainly not on 850k a year but if the Grubs were to pick up a significant part of his salary for next year and tehn he was on around 700k, I think he'd be worth that.
Tevita Pangai Jnr would also be a pretty good get for the Dragons if he became available.