Sloan

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
What we want to hear:

TOUGH ENOUGH

One of the first meetings Flanagan held when he was first appointed head coach of the Red-V was with Sloan.

Together they mapped out a plan for the gifted ballrunner to develop his commitment in defence. It would include boxing, wrestling and repetitive tackling sessions. Sloan’s ill-timed foot injury has forced the sessions to be put on the backburner.

However. Sloan said he had the toughness within to develop the defensive side of his game.

DEFENCE MATTERS

Sloan couldn’t have been more frank when assessing his need to improve his defence.

He has shown flashes of his brilliance in attack with a combined 23 try and line break assists and 22 offloads last season.

He also proved to be one of the league’s fittest players after averaging more metres per game (9.16km) than any player other than North Queensland playmaker Tom Dearden.

But his 67.6 effective tackle percentage ranks among the lowest in the competition alongside Brisbane No. 1 Reece Walsh.

“No, it’s something I do lack, I’ll be honest,‘’ Sloan said.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
What we want to hear:

TOUGH ENOUGH

One of the first meetings Flanagan held when he was first appointed head coach of the Red-V was with Sloan.

Together they mapped out a plan for the gifted ballrunner to develop his commitment in defence. It would include boxing, wrestling and repetitive tackling sessions. Sloan’s ill-timed foot injury has forced the sessions to be put on the backburner.

However. Sloan said he had the toughness within to develop the defensive side of his game.

DEFENCE MATTERS

Sloan couldn’t have been more frank when assessing his need to improve his defence.

He has shown flashes of his brilliance in attack with a combined 23 try and line break assists and 22 offloads last season.

He also proved to be one of the league’s fittest players after averaging more metres per game (9.16km) than any player other than North Queensland playmaker Tom Dearden.

But his 67.6 effective tackle percentage ranks among the lowest in the competition alongside Brisbane No. 1 Reece Walsh.

“No, it’s something I do lack, I’ll be honest,‘’ Sloan said.
He's talking the talk. Was in the last off season as well.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I hope he has been hitting the tackling bags. Then when he's confident enough run your hardest runners at him one on one. There's nowhere to hide.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I hope he has been hitting the tackling bags. Then when he's confident enough run your hardest runners at him one on one. There's nowhere to hide.
You would know better than me but they say defence is all about commitment. That is to say, something anyone can fix to a large degree if it's a problem.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
You would know better than me but they say defence is all about commitment. That is to say, something anyone can fix to a large degree if it's a problem.
Mate technique, commitment are just 2 major requirements. Not everyone can actually tackle one on one in today's fast paced game. These should have been taught many years before you make 1st grade. Confidence is also an important part. As I mentioned above we did many drills back in the day, the bags were used to help techniques and instill confidence. Then we had half pace drills where you use your new technique on a real player, then full pace, 5 yds & 10 yard distances. Then there was tackling from behind half pace/ full pace when your line had been broken. Lastly duo tackling. What I have seen of the kid doesn't instill me with any confidence, even though he can become a match winner if he hasn't manned up by early season he needs to be dropped. Time will tell

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Good read in today's DT about young Sloan. As an old coach that is what you want to read about a yet untapped talent especially his admission about his lack of defensive prowess. Worth a read.

There is this supplementary article. I like what I am hearing from the kid. I also read, other than fullback or wing he'd consider playing 5/8. I have been saying same as he does have clever ball skills as well as vision.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
There is this supplementary article. I like what I am hearing from the kid. I also read, other than fullback or wing he'd consider playing 5/8. I have been saying same as he does have clever ball skills as well as vision.
Has a few very doable things to work on.
  1. Run harder on kick returns.
  2. Get more involved consistently.
  3. Tackle much, much better.
If he gets that right I think he'll become the fullback we all want him to become.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Sloan is expected to begin running again on a G-force treadmill before Christmas and then hopes to be able to train fully in January. He may now only miss pre season matches and be ready to go season start March 28..

Eric

Staff
Has a few very doable things to work on.
  1. Run harder on kick returns.
  2. Get more involved consistently.
  3. Tackle much, much better.
If he gets that right I think he'll become the fullback we all want him to become.
What is certain, IMO is that if Sloan is firing, scoring points won't be a problem. Even if Kyle Flanno is 5/8.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

TYRELL SLOAN

It’d be hard to find a player that’s had a tougher initiation to the NRL than Tyrell Sloan. He burst onto the scene as a slender 19-year-old debutant in 2021 that had carved up in SG Ball. After scoring six tries in five games in his rookie season, Sloan started 2022 as the Dragons’ first-choice fullback only to be controversially dropped after three games. He managed five more games that year either at fullback, on the wing or off the bench. The Illawarra junior put a tough campaign — and a release request that he later backflipped on — behind him to enter 2023 with a completely new outlook. It paid off as he went on to lock down the No.1 jersey. But he’s got fresh competition heading into 2024 with new coach Shane Flanagan revealing Zac Lomax will get an opportunity at fullback too. An ankle injury followed by a thumb injury has set Sloan back but he’ll be wanting to rip in once he gets back on the training paddock.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
As I mentioned last season no use scoring and setting up 2 tries a game when the opposition is scoring 4. I just hope he has had 1 on 1 tackling tuition , I would have used JDB because he has a sublime technique

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
As I mentioned last season no use scoring and setting up 2 tries a game when the opposition is scoring 4. I just hope he has had 1 on 1 tackling tuition , I would have used JDB because he has a sublime technique
Analysis = true

Last season Sloan played a very big part in many tries. Played a big part in letting more in.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I would have used JDB because he has a sublime technique
Said the same. Perhaps Jack will be our defense coach once he retires as could not have anyone better. Meanwhile we are placing hope in Young Jr to do a decent job with our outside backs on reading a defense. Heaven knows we need that over any other defensive issue. How many bloody tries did bad reading and leaving their position cost us last season.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Analysis = true

Last season Sloan played a very big part in many tries. Played a big part in letting more in.
Not as grand a performance tho as Feagai and Rava. Left the kid with too much for one man to do, even for a good defender. Going on his more mature attitude we will see a different Tyrell Sloan this year. There were signs he was adding more steel to his game late in the season.

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
But that doesn't mean Sloan's defence wasn't piss-weak.
Not in effort, in technique. He says he does not need to add bulk . Disagree, being bigger will give him more confidence in one on one tackles, returning the ball plus breaking the line when his speed and evasiveness cant.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Not in effort, in technique. He says he does not need to add bulk . Disagree, being bigger will give him more confidence in one on one tackles, returning the ball plus breaking the line when his speed and evasiveness cant.
Personally I think it was at least just as much lack of effort if not more. Wouldn't even go close to putting his body on the line.